2016 Applicants

1 hour ago, taeslp said:

I'm still waiting to hear from them too! I believe there were some acceptances sent out a few weeks back that I saw on the results page.  The wait is killing me.  I feel like we're going to have to wait until April 15th when people make their decisions. ugh.

I saw that too. What's weird is that I know they waitlist the majority of the people they don't outright accept, so I feel like we should've heard by now. Unless there was an insane amount of applications and it's just taking forever for them to mail them out. That's why they should use email!! 

1 hour ago, mayaella said:

I am officially the queen of the wait list.

I would've loved to have been on U of Akron's wait list but they flat out denied me, and I didn't bother applying to Case because I knew I wouldn't get in! But keep me posted on your decision especially since I will be attending Ohio University! Good luck :)

16 minutes ago, Slpwannabe22 said:

Choosing between a VERY cheap in state school that is just okay or 90,000 in loans for my dream school..HELP

Ultimately it's your decision about what you can and cannot afford, but you also need to consider the cost of living as well, how much your loans will help you, if you can get funding now or in the future, and how long you'd like to be paying off your loans. I think a lot of the time you can find ways to make the most of the school you are at. Maybe talk to the professors and see how you connect with them, and definitely visit the in state school's campus.

Personally, I chose the cheaper school, but I don't doubt for a second that the education I receive will be great.

On 3/22/2016 at 1:26 PM, sesame_mochi said:

I was wondering, is anyone attending the University of Colorado, Boulder Open House next week or thinking of attending the MA SLH program at Boulder? I haven't seen anyone mention Boulder on this forum yet (?), but it would be really cool to connect with someone else who has been accepted and is considering attending their program! 

I'm going to the open house!  I'm still trying to decide on UW, Boulder, and SDSU.  I walked around SDSU this Monday, I'm going to the open house at Boulder this coming Monday, and going to the open house at UW the following Monday.  Looking at the agenda Boulder sent us today, it definitely seems worth it to go to the open house! :)  

On an unrelated note, I was coincidentally eating sesame mochi earlier haha :D 

Edited by talkingcake

I sent my boyfriend to checkout apartments for me today at UW-Whitewater, and TWO of the five were rented 10 mins before he saw them! Talk about adding stress to this process...my housing options are dwindling unless I want to pay tons of $$$$$ :wacko:

19 hours ago, Slpwannabe22 said:

Choosing between a VERY cheap in state school that is just okay or 90,000 in loans for my dream school..HELP

Go with the cheap in state school - you´re earning the same degree, same certification, same job & salary prospects. 

On 3/25/2016 at 11:23 AM, cosmicmorgan said:

I sent my boyfriend to checkout apartments for me today at UW-Whitewater, and TWO of the five were rented 10 mins before he saw them! Talk about adding stress to this process...my housing options are dwindling unless I want to pay tons of $$$$$ :wacko:

That happened to me and my roommates when we were house hunting last year. This time of the month is crazy for housing options. Have you looked at Zillow or Craigslist? Or maybe you could email some of the grad students who are about to graduate and see about picking up a lease from one of them.

2 hours ago, racoomelon said:

That happened to me and my roommates when we were house hunting last year. This time of the month is crazy for housing options. Have you looked at Zillow or Craigslist? Or maybe you could email some of the grad students who are about to graduate and see about picking up a lease from one of them.

Yeah! Contacting students is a good idea. Unfortunately I'm a little limited in my options because I have a cat, but I did find some places on zillow that work if I'm willing to have a little more of a commute (now hopefully they're actually available..). Looking for housing out of state is just difficult as is ?

On 3/25/2016 at 8:28 PM, talkingcake said:

I'm going to the open house!  I'm still trying to decide on UW, Boulder, and SDSU.  I walked around SDSU this Monday, I'm going to the open house at Boulder this coming Monday, and going to the open house at UW the following Monday.  Looking at the agenda Boulder sent us today, it definitely seems worth it to go to the open house! :)  

On an unrelated note, I was coincidentally eating sesame mochi earlier haha :D 

@talkingcake Haha, that's awesome. I went to UC San Diego for undergrad! SD has great weather all year round :) And I'm glad to connect with someone else attending Open House at Boulder. I walked around the Boulder campus today, and coincidentally froze... I felt very out of my element as a life-long Californian, haha. See you on Monday! 

On 3/27/2016 at 8:55 PM, sesame_mochi said:

@talkingcake Haha, that's awesome. I went to UC San Diego for undergrad! SD has great weather all year round :) And I'm glad to connect with someone else attending Open House at Boulder. I walked around the Boulder campus today, and coincidentally froze... I felt very out of my element as a life-long Californian, haha. See you on Monday! 

San Diego does seem to be a really nice place to live!  I feel your pain- being a life-long SoCal beach city resident, anything below 40 degrees is difficult for me to gauge.  After arriving in Boulder, I didn't think it was too bad during the day today, but my fingers turned into popsicles at night haha :D  See you in the morning!

Edited by talkingcake

7 hours ago, Hoosier27 said:

Still haven't heard from st.xavier. I'm thinking about calling tomorrow if my mail is yet again empty. 

I haven't heard back from them either. Wondering if they only set out the first set of acceptances and are giving those people until April 15th before they send out more.  The wait is killing me!

31 minutes ago, ENFPslp said:

Just declined admission to UW Madison and Loma Linda. I hope this helps somebody on the waitlist!!! But... still feeling completely stumped about picking between the other schools.

I didn't even apply there but thanks for making an early decision! BEING ON A WAITLIST is terrible. 

2 hours ago, Rorororosy said:

I didn't even apply there but thanks for making an early decision! BEING ON A WAITLIST is terrible. 

I'm on a waitlist too and thought it was selfish of me to hold onto schools I knew I wasn't interested in anymore. 

Hi! For those of you guys that have already attended accepted student days or are going soon - any input on what we should wear?? I'm always so clueless on these things lol. Thanks!!! 

4 minutes ago, orange23 said:

Hi! For those of you guys that have already attended accepted student days or are going soon - any input on what we should wear?? I'm always so clueless on these things lol. Thanks!!! 

When I went on a program tour, most everyone was wearing something business casual-y. There were a lot of dresses and a few of the girls wore slacks with a nice blouse and jacket. Mainly closed toed shoes, but there were a few nice sandals in the mix. I'd stick with flats just to be safe; I don't know if nice sandals fall into the business casual realm for everyone. The guys wore slacks and polos or button-downs. Basically whatever you'd wear in the clinic! :)

A friend was notified today that she was admitted to the online distance part-time.  She wanted full-time but heard that it was easier to get in the part-time.  I think that the regular campus students were notified too.  They will admit more in about two weeks according to a former GA there.  They will keep doing that until they get 25 students in each group, distance and campus.  I'm not sure if it's 25 full-time and 25 part-time online distance or if it's 25 all together.

On 3/28/2016 at 3:28 PM, ENFPslp said:

Just declined admission to UW Madison and Loma Linda. I hope this helps somebody on the waitlist!!! But... still feeling completely stumped about picking between the other schools.

THANK YOU!!!! I am very much hoping to get off the UW Madison waitlist!!

Edited by lindsey8