2016 Applicants

4 minutes ago, BamaBelle said:

So I'm going to Mizzou's open house tomorrow. It's our spring break and I've just dragged my boyfriend all over the place looking at schools with me. Would it be okay for me to bring him to the open house, or should I send him away to amuse himself while I'm there?

I'd send him to amuse himself. It's your grad school experience not his. And bringing someone along (a parent, friend etc) may make you LOOK codependent (I mean you're already in so it's not like they'll knock you for it but it may influence their perception of you). JMHO 

7 hours ago, BamaBelle said:

So I'm going to Mizzou's open house tomorrow. It's our spring break and I've just dragged my boyfriend all over the place looking at schools with me. Would it be okay for me to bring him to the open house, or should I send him away to amuse himself while I'm there?

I politely booted by boyfriend out of the building each time I went to an interview or open house. You want to give the impression that you're professional and independent. Plus your boyfriend can scope out all the promising restaurants and coffee shops, etc, while you're in work mode.

Just wanted to let everyone know that University of Rhode Island decisions have been released (I received an email and a phone call). I will most likely be rejecting my offer so good luck to anyone that applied!

4 hours ago, racoomelon said:

Is anyone else waiting to hear back about funding for one of their programs? 

Yeah, I am. So far, I haven't been offered any funding but I am applying for it and just have to wait to hear back.

1 minute ago, Elizabeth D. said:

Yeah, I am. So far, I haven't been offered any funding but I am applying for it and just have to wait to hear back.

This almost sucks as much as waiting to hear back about acceptance! They have to notify us relatively soon, I'd think. The deadline to accept or decline admission offers is coming up, so I feel like any funding offers after March is going to be pushing it.

Just now, racoomelon said:

This almost sucks as much as waiting to hear back about acceptance! They have to notify us relatively soon, I'd think. The deadline to accept or decline admission offers is coming up, so I feel like any funding offers after March is going to be pushing it.

Exactly! A big part of my decision will depend on funding so the wait is killing me. Hopefully, they let us know before we have to decide.

2 minutes ago, Elizabeth D. said:

Exactly! A big part of my decision will depend on funding so the wait is killing me. Hopefully, they let us know before we have to decide.

I know haha. My top choice is too expensive without funding. I'd have to really consider how much I want to go there if they won't give me (at least) in-state tuition. 

it would be horrible if they didn't let us know before April 15th! But I feel like they would want to, just to ensure that their potential students don't go elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, racoomelon said:

I know haha. My top choice is too expensive without funding. I'd have to really consider how much I want to go there if they won't give me (at least) in-state tuition. 

it would be horrible if they didn't let us know before April 15th! But I feel like they would want to, just to ensure that their potential students don't go elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. Most of the programs are expensive but some are way more than others. It's hard figuring out what to do if I don't hear back in time but that's just something I have to think about. 

Have you been able to apply for a lot of funding?

2 minutes ago, Elizabeth D. said:

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. Most of the programs are expensive but some are way more than others. It's hard figuring out what to do if I don't hear back in time but that's just something I have to think about. 

Have you been able to apply for a lot of funding?

I think most of my programs consider you for funding within the program without you needing to apply directly for it. Your general application counts, or something like that. Of course you can probably apply for funding outside of the program (which is what I'm considering), but I'm not sure how easy it would be to hold a GA position outside of my own program. One of the programs does require that you ask about and apply to assistantships, so I'm looking into that one a bit more!

4 hours ago, racoomelon said:

Is anyone else waiting to hear back about funding for one of their programs? 

I'm waiting to hear about funding too.  I just got an email today about a funding opportunity I could apply for, but I'm going to wait and see if I'm offered a GA first I think.  Keep in mind, this is around the time programs are on spring break, so I imagine a lot of them will be making funding decisions once they get back from break.  Maybe next week?

9 minutes ago, SLPgradstudent said:

I'm waiting to hear about funding too.  I just got an email today about a funding opportunity I could apply for, but I'm going to wait and see if I'm offered a GA first I think.  Keep in mind, this is around the time programs are on spring break, so I imagine a lot of them will be making funding decisions once they get back from break.  Maybe next week?

I'm betting the end of March will be when I hear back! I think the programs were a bit overwhelmed with the amount of applicants they had this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if funding information were also be a bit late.

8 hours ago, racoomelon said:

I'm betting the end of March will be when I hear back! I think the programs were a bit overwhelmed with the amount of applicants they had this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if funding information were also be a bit late.

It's crazy how every year, grad school entrance is so insanely competitive and schools know that, and yet, the next year, they're overwhelmed/unprepared by how many applications they receive.  This year doesn't seem to be the exception, it seems to be the trend.  I think we should all commit, once we're all SLPs, to working to solve this problem we have of such a tiny bottleneck, for such an important field.  The need exists, the jobs exist, the grad school spots do not.  If we don't change things, who will, right?  (Or is this just my lack of sleep talking?)

Edited by SLPgradstudent
Same reason as always... Grammar.

16 minutes ago, SLPgradstudent said:

It's crazy how every year, grad school entrance is so insanely competitive and schools know that, and yet, the next year, they're overwhelmed/unprepared by how many applications they receive.  This year doesn't seem to be the exception, it seems to be the trend.  I think we should all commit, once we're all SLPs, to working to solve this problem we have of such a tiny bottleneck, for such an important field.  The need exists, the jobs exist, the grad school spots do not.  If we don't change things, who will, right?  (Or is this just my lack of sleep talking?)

Agreed! Although I think the main problem is that most people pursue speech pathology to be a pathhologist, not to teach graduate school, which is why they only allow a certain amount of people. So I'm not really sure how we would solve that. At least that's what my professor said lol 

45 minutes ago, SLPgradstudent said:

You hit everything on the head!

2 hours ago, SLPgradstudent said:

Oh, so this is consistently a problem? Yeah, they need to do something about that... They can probably move the deadline a bit earlier or practice rolling admissions to avoid drowning in the number of applications. 

I know University of Delaware just opened (or is in the process of opening) a program. But a lot of universities don't have one at all-- I've gone through the ASHA EdFind to look at different schools (and to pass the down time working dreaded reception shifts at my job), and when I look by state I'm always shocked to see the lack of programs in some states. And most of the programs that do exist only offer 25 spots, so you can't get all that many people in. While I would prefer to be in a smaller cohort, those numbers can't make it easy to produce a lot of new SLPs. 

I think @orange23 makes a good point. I know that most people don't pursue PhDs because you only need an MS to practice, and most people probably aren't interested in working as professors. But if you have the large faculty you can have a larger cohort. So maybe more of us need to go the PhD route. 

3 hours ago, orange23 said:

Agreed! Although I think the main problem is that most people pursue speech pathology to be a pathhologist, not to teach graduate school, which is why they only allow a certain amount of people. So I'm not really sure how we would solve that. At least that's what my professor said lol 

I'm not sure what the pay in other states is like but the Cal State professors get paid less than what they could potentially make as a professional which takes any money incentives there might be to becoming professors. I don't believe people should do it for the money but many qualified SLPs won't pursue academia because it's four more years of school to only get less pay (especially if they've got families to support)

Officially got my last letter, where I was wait listed to BGSU. But I went to Ohio University's accepted graduate student info session yesterday and was completely blown away. I really thought I would attempt Kent, but on Monday I will be sending in my acceptance agreement to Ohio University so I hope that helps anyone else on wait lists for BWU, KSU, or BGSU! So excited :)