Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

So in the interest of sharing something personal, I currently work full time and I thought that getting offers from universities would be the hardest part. I was wrong. I'm learning that it is significantly more difficult to remain working while you have been accepted. If i had been rejected, the disappointment would've been tough but ephemeral. I would then focus on work knowing that next year i would try again. However, I'm finding now that its really hard to care about work at all. This is due largely to the fact that i will be leaving this job and my career as a software developer in the near future. I think the real difference is that instead of putting in two weeks notice I am waiting for the next 3-4 months before i do so. I've never had to wait that long before starting a job so i suppose this is all an exercise in patience? Anyways, this was just a thought i had rolling around.

1 minute ago, kaoticfen said:

So in the interest of sharing something personal, I currently work full time and I thought that getting offers from universities would be the hardest part. I was wrong. I'm learning that it is significantly more difficult to remain working while you have been accepted. If i had been rejected, the disappointment would've been tough but ephemeral. I would then focus on work knowing that next year i would try again. However, I'm finding now that its really hard to care about work at all. This is due largely to the fact that i will be leaving this job and my career as a software developer in the near future. I think the real difference is that instead of putting in two weeks notice I am waiting for the next 3-4 months before i do so. I've never had to wait that long before starting a job so i suppose this is all an exercise in patience? Anyways, this was just a thought i had rolling around.

Same here...

Plus all that expense that goes with relocating. That's incredibly daunting for me despite being admitted locally. I have no idea what I'm going to do yet. I'd hate to accept an offer to a university that's not quite right just because I won't have to relocate.

4 hours ago, kaoticfen said:

So in the interest of sharing something personal, I currently work full time and I thought that getting offers from universities would be the hardest part. I was wrong. I'm learning that it is significantly more difficult to remain working while you have been accepted.

Amen! I'm afraid that I'm experiencing a definite case of the "how do I keep myself motivated and involved when I have mentally checked out and moved on to the next thing." I know that I need to keep working in my current job until, at least, the end of July - but that now seems like an eternity away.

4 hours ago, cannedheat said:

Plus all that expense that goes with relocating. That's incredibly daunting for me despite being admitted locally. I have no idea what I'm going to do yet. I'd hate to accept an offer to a university that's not quite right just because I won't have to relocate.

The relocation issue is tough. It would be nice if some schools offered some kind of moving allowance (though I suppose you can probably mark it down as a tax write off). I'm trying to make my decision based around best fit - but the more I think about the hassle and cost of moving the more I find it shading my options.

Granted, one of the nice things about working with a move on the horizon is it gives you the opportunity to try and save up some money. I'm going to put myself on a "no book buying" regimen. I intend to start it...eventually...

Just now, A Librarian said:

Amen! I'm afraid that I'm experiencing a definite case of the "how do I keep myself motivated and involved when I have mentally checked out and moved on to the next thing." I know that I need to keep working in my current job until, at least, the end of July - but that now seems like an eternity away.

The relocation issue is tough. It would be nice if some schools offered some kind of moving allowance (though I suppose you can probably mark it down as a tax write off). I'm trying to make my decision based around best fit - but the more I think about the hassle and cost of moving the more I find it shading my options.

Granted, one of the nice things about working with a move on the horizon is it gives you the opportunity to try and save up some money. I'm going to put myself on a "no book buying" regimen. I intend to start it...eventually...

Wise decision!

I was saving for eventual relocation but then life happened so we'll see. If don't take any of my furniture (that's not happening...lol) then it'll be super cheap and easy to move relatively speaking. :P

On 2/17/2016 at 2:23 AM, ahaidaris said:

Accepted to UC San Diego's Ph.D. in Communications! Anyone have any insight on the program here, I've seen basically no chatter about their department on this thread. My background is in Feminist Studies but I focus on security/surveillance/border studies (with obvious feminist/queer direction) which has led me to apply to Geography/Gender/Communication/etc. departments since my focus fits a niche of a specific department and not something as overarching as just Communications, etc.

My other admissions acceptance is at Univ. of Arizona's Ph.D. program in Gender & Women's Studies program which has more name recognition for me since my background is in Feminist Studies but would really love to hear anyone's opinion on UCSD's Comm. program/why nobody is talking about it!?! Seems like a great fit for me...

(Don't know how to edit my "signature" which is from a previous application season but my "about me" has what would be typically there)

Hi! Late to the party,  congratulations!! :) I'll be applying to UC San Diego next round as well!

6 hours ago, kaoticfen said:

I went through this before I started my MA program, but I actually ended up quitting my job in May of that year. Mainly because I hated that job. Just think of it as a way to save money before starting the next phase of your academic career!

10 hours ago, maktoob101 said:

still no news from UPENN. I thought they usually send out all decisions at once so I'm clueless on what's going on. Is there a possibility that they accidentally missed out my decision email? 

Man everyone seems to want to go to UPenn :-) its funny cause when i looked at it i couldn't find anything i was interested in. It just shows you how diverse the field of communication is.

57 minutes ago, kaoticfen said:

Man everyone seems to want to go to UPenn :-) its funny cause when i looked at it i couldn't find anything i was interested in. It just shows you how diverse the field of communication is.

$$$$$$$$$$ & Location

Last spring, my advisor asked me where I wanted to go, and I said--without a doubt--the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. 

Then, I learned that there were actually programs that gave great stipends. UPenn was on that list because of money and location (as was Northwestern--30K per year plus 1500 for conferences...and living in Chicago...sure, I'll do whatever you want me to do lol). 

On 2/17/2016 at 3:23 AM, ahaidaris said:

Accepted to UC San Diego's Ph.D. in Communications! Anyone have any insight on the program here, I've seen basically no chatter about their department on this thread. My background is in Feminist Studies but I focus on security/surveillance/border studies (with obvious feminist/queer direction) which has led me to apply to Geography/Gender/Communication/etc. departments since my focus fits a niche of a specific department and not something as overarching as just Communications, etc.

A belated congratulations! I was also accepted to San Diego's PhD program in Communications! It seems like a really excellent program - I'm looking forward to getting out to San Diego to see the school (whenever they finalize the dates for their welcome weekend). Given your interest in "security/surveillance/border studies" are you also looking at the Science Studies program at UCSD? It could be a good fit!

I heard NYU sent out rejections but I didn't receive one is it safe to assume that I'm rejected?? I never received an invitation for an interview but I think its weird that I still haven't heard anything from them yet one way or the other.......

Guest Grad19204
48 minutes ago, TWD2016 said:

I heard NYU sent out rejections but I didn't receive one is it safe to assume that I'm rejected?? I never received an invitation for an interview but I think its weird that I still haven't heard anything from them yet one way or the other.......

I'm on the same boat.

1 hour ago, TWD2016 said:

15 minutes ago, cikkatikkaskwarr said:

I'm on the same boat.

I wouldn't assume anything until you specifically hear from them. 

That being said, I got the official rejection from Chapel Hill. Finally! Haha. I have officially heard from all schools. 

1 hour ago, cannedheat said:

I wouldn't assume anything until you specifically hear from them. 

That being said, I got the official rejection from Chapel Hill. Finally! Haha. I have officially heard from all schools. 

Do you know what school you're leaning towards??

And I called NYU they said that the committee met on Friday and that notices probably went out Monday or Tuesday. This person may be out of touch with whats going on because notices went out Sunday and she said all of this earlier this morning. Maybe it will trickle in soon, I'm not expecting acceptance but I would like to know my application was considered... Its the least they can do lol.

4 minutes ago, TWD2016 said:

Do you know what school you're leaning towards??

And I called NYU they said that the committee met on Friday and that notices probably went out Monday or Tuesday. This person may be out of touch with whats going on because notices went out Sunday and she said all of this earlier this morning. Maybe it will trickle in soon, I'm not expecting acceptance but I would like to know my application was considered... Its the least they can do lol.

On the merits of the program alone, I'd prefer Georgia. I haven't received funding anywhere. The best Georgia has offered to do is apply for an out-of-state tuition waiver for me so that I can have in-state tuition should I get approved. I'm waitlisted at Pittsburgh and UMass, but I'd prefer either of those programs over Georgia.

If I get into Pittsburgh, it'll come with funding, I know that for sure. Whether or not I get in is another matter. My advisor says it's not about me and my abilities at this point, but critical rhetorical inquiry does not produce grant monies so no one who studies is likely to get funding. I dunno if that's true, but it seems to be the case. 

I'm pregnant and due in June, so no funding means no school. I can't work part time/full time and go to school and take care of my family. So I'm probably done with education if none of my acceptances find a way to fund me. I'm more ok with it than I thought I would be.

40 minutes ago, cannedheat said:

On the merits of the program alone, I'd prefer Georgia. I haven't received funding anywhere. The best Georgia has offered to do is apply for an out-of-state tuition waiver for me so that I can have in-state tuition should I get approved. I'm waitlisted at Pittsburgh and UMass, but I'd prefer either of those programs over Georgia.

If I get into Pittsburgh, it'll come with funding, I know that for sure. Whether or not I get in is another matter. My advisor says it's not about me and my abilities at this point, but critical rhetorical inquiry does not produce grant monies so no one who studies is likely to get funding. I dunno if that's true, but it seems to be the case. 

I'm pregnant and due in June, so no funding means no school. I can't work part time/full time and go to school and take care of my family. So I'm probably done with education if none of my acceptances find a way to fund me. I'm more ok with it than I thought I would be.

I'm sure it will work out and that you will get funding in a good program!! People will eventually start to decline and accept offers..did u not like ASU?

1 minute ago, TWD2016 said:

I'm sure it will work out and that you will get funding in a good program!! People will eventually start to decline and accept offers..did u not like ASU?

I don't dislike ASU but its primary focus is interpersonal and health communication. I'm the only person in the accepted cohort that I met that is interested in the same things and also the only ASU alumni. They admitted 20+ people to ASU, only 3 didn't come to the welcome weekend.

My advisor says that her experience with critical rhetoricians going through ASU's PhD program is that they are underdeveloped as scholars--which I definitely don't want to be. 

3 hours ago, TWD2016 said:

I'm pretty sure that the acceptances and wait list offers are out for NYU (assuming you're talking about MCC).

@cikkatikkaskwarr and @TWD2016 it sounds like you both got into Michigan! Congratulations! I hope to meet you in person during the welcome weekend!

Guest Grad19204
33 minutes ago, A Librarian said:

I'm pretty sure that the acceptances and wait list offers are out for NYU (assuming you're talking about MCC).

@cikkatikkaskwarr and @TWD2016 it sounds like you both got into Michigan! Congratulations! I hope to meet you in person during the welcome weekend!

I actually got into their SAC program, not Comm Studies. I was there just last week and got to meet many CS people. Most of the faculty I want to work with are actually cross-listed with Comm Studies, but I come from a Humanities background so I went with SAC.

Edited by Grad19204