Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

1 minute ago, TWD2016 said:

Just received acceptance to University of South Florida fully funded as well! Michigan vs. USF is going to be a tough decision. I hope everyone is holding on strong during this process!

you trying to figure out what program to attend: 

Rebecca-Black-Friday-Which-Seat-Can-I-Ta

Accepted to UC San Diego's Ph.D. in Communications! Anyone have any insight on the program here, I've seen basically no chatter about their department on this thread. My background is in Feminist Studies but I focus on security/surveillance/border studies (with obvious feminist/queer direction) which has led me to apply to Geography/Gender/Communication/etc. departments since my focus fits a niche of a specific department and not something as overarching as just Communications, etc.

My other admissions acceptance is at Univ. of Arizona's Ph.D. program in Gender & Women's Studies program which has more name recognition for me since my background is in Feminist Studies but would really love to hear anyone's opinion on UCSD's Comm. program/why nobody is talking about it!?! Seems like a great fit for me...

(Don't know how to edit my "signature" which is from a previous application season but my "about me" has what would be typically there)

Edited by ahaidaris

10 hours ago, TWD2016 said:

Just received acceptance to University of South Florida fully funded as well! Michigan vs. USF is going to be a tough decision. I hope everyone is holding on strong during this process!

Congrats! My initial response is to go for Michigan. Nicole Ellison is one of my former professors and she would be awesome to work with.

6 hours ago, ahaidaris said:

Accepted to UC San Diego's Ph.D. in Communications! Anyone have any insight on the program here, I've seen basically no chatter about their department on this thread. My background is in Feminist Studies but I focus on security/surveillance/border studies (with obvious feminist/queer direction) which has led me to apply to Geography/Gender/Communication/etc. departments since my focus fits a niche of a specific department and not something as overarching as just Communications, etc.

My other admissions acceptance is at Univ. of Arizona's Ph.D. program in Gender & Women's Studies program which has more name recognition for me since my background is in Feminist Studies but would really love to hear anyone's opinion on UCSD's Comm. program/why nobody is talking about it!?! Seems like a great fit for me...

(Don't know how to edit my "signature" which is from a previous application season but my "about me" has what would be typically there)

Congrats as well! Is the Gender & Women studies at UofA in their comm dept? I would say that UCSD is an awesome place to live but super expensive (la jolla)

Alright I just received an email notice that OU released my application to the department for review. Does that mean that they are just now reviewing it? I need to pray more now right?

This is my prayer "Dear God, I pray that my application may be judged on its merits and that i get accepted with funding. I pray that you help everyone else here in this forum get in to the program that they want. Amen"

4 hours ago, kaoticfen said:

Congrats! My initial response is to go for Michigan. Nicole Ellison is one of my former professors and she would be awesome to work with.

Congrats as well! Is the Gender & Women studies at UofA in their comm dept? I would say that UCSD is an awesome place to live but super expensive (la jolla)

The Gender & Women's Studies program is it's own thing. I literally applied to 3 Geography M.A.'s, 1 Science and Technology Studies M.A., 1 Feminist Studies Ph.D., 1 Gender & Women's Studies Ph.D., and 1 Communication Studies Ph.D (previous years I've applied to American Studies but not this year).----it's a super weird approach, I know, but it's hard to find departments that do a mix of security/surveillance/science and tech/queer studies/geography and I was happy to go in a number of different directions as long as I'm working with the right people and can emphasize the areas I want.

5 hours ago, kaoticfen said:

Alright I just received an email notice that OU released my application to the department for review. Does that mean that they are just now reviewing it? I need to pray more now right?

This is my prayer "Dear God, I pray that my application may be judged on its merits and that i get accepted with funding. I pray that you help everyone else here in this forum get in to the program that they want. Amen"

Greetings, My Child:

Thank you for your interest in Graduate Studies at the University of Oklahoma. We received many interesting and excellent applications, only some of which we were able to accept this year. We reviewed your application very carefully and note several strong features. There is rigorous competition for entry into our graduate programs and your application was not among those that we were able to accept.

Please send more money next year.

Best,

God

2 minutes ago, God said:

Greetings, My Child:

Thank you for your interest in Graduate Studies at the University of Oklahoma. We received many interesting and excellent applications, only some of which we were able to accept this year. We reviewed your application very carefully and note several strong features. There is rigorous competition for entry into our graduate programs and your application was not among those that we were able to accept.

Please send more money next year.

Best,

God

Hahahahahaha..... this is great though of course I'm hoping its not prophetic.

Also nice work on setting up the grad cafe member as God. I'm a bit surprised that name hadn't been taken yet.

Does anybody know if Northwestern has released decisions? I applied to RPC and was invited for a skype interview (since I'm an international applicant) but haven't schedule the date yet. I thought the interview weekend was next week then I figured somebody already got acceptance. Any clue on what's going on?

Also I emailed NYU MCC and they said there will be no additional interviews... I didn't receive an interview request so I guess that means I'm rejected. 

Edited by maktoob101

6 hours ago, maktoob101 said:

Does anybody know if Northwestern has released decisions? I applied to RPC and was invited for a skype interview (since I'm an international applicant) but haven't schedule the date yet. I thought the interview weekend was next week then I figured somebody already got acceptance. Any clue on what's going on?

Also I emailed NYU MCC and they said there will be no additional interviews... I didn't receive an interview request so I guess that means I'm rejected. 

Northwestern RPC hasn't released decisions yet, the on-campus interview weekend is the 26-27. As far as I can tell, they're just busy so I wouldn't worry too much.

Hello, everyone! I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first chance to say hello! Congrats to everyone on some really great news and good luck on upcoming news! 

I've currently been accepted to UT-Austin, Utah, and Missouri, but I'm still waiting on Ohio University. I've heard back from every other program, and I'm about an inch from calling it a loss. Does anyone have any news? 

On another note, I really want to visit Utah but it may not be financially viable-- does anyone here have any experience working with their students or faculty? They were my first choice, because I research ability in communication, so their faculty fits my research well, but I'm a big fan of community... and I hate the thought of accepting without meeting anyone or experiencing their department. 

11 hours ago, kaoticfen said:

Just got my acceptance letter to Oklahoma University!!! Weird too as i got it late 11:30pm central time. Thanks so much @God (see what i did there =) )  headed out to their welcome weekend too. Should be a fun next couple of weeks.

I look forward to meeting you then.

Who else is it who applied to OU?

Edited by lyrehc

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Hello, everyone! I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first chance to say hello! Congrats to everyone on some really great news and good luck on upcoming news! 

I've currently been accepted to UT-Austin, Utah, and Missouri, but I'm still waiting on Ohio University. I've heard back from every other program, and I'm about an inch from calling it a loss. Does anyone have any news? 

On another note, I really want to visit Utah but it may not be financially viable-- does anyone here have any experience working with their students or faculty? They were my first choice, because I research ability in communication, so their faculty fits my research well, but I'm a big fan of community... and I hate the thought of accepting without meeting anyone or experiencing their department. 

I have not been there but I've heard good things about the Utah faculty and department. Outside the university the culture is heavily Mormon, but inside is an academic oasis. The people I know who were there still like it. And Dr. Middleton is great help to me with my forensics team.

23 hours ago, kaoticfen said:

Hahahahahaha..... this is great though of course I'm hoping its not prophetic.

Also nice work on setting up the grad cafe member as God. I'm a bit surprised that name hadn't been taken yet.

Lol...I was surprised too! But now I own it forever bwhahahah. 

13 hours ago, kaoticfen said:

Just got my acceptance letter to Oklahoma University!!! Weird too as i got it late 11:30pm central time. Thanks so much @God (see what i did there =) )  headed out to their welcome weekend too. Should be a fun next couple of weeks.

SLAY SLAY SLAY 

11 hours ago, maktoob101 said:

Good news for you: They seem to take their international applicants very seriously. When I visited RPC this past summer, there were a number of international doctoral students...so at least they're not pulling your leg! 

As for NYU, I really wish I knew what criteria they were looking for. I too applied for MCC. For a program, it's not ideal for me in terms of research interest (I, like so many, just want to live in NYC). Nonetheless, I eyeballed CVs and research and crafted--what I thought to be, at least--a great application for them. I just wish I knew what they wanted, because it seems like they either A. promote internally and B. look for school name & GRE. 

4 hours ago, Toast said:

Utah is loaded with money and their rhetoric faculty is really nice. I imagine the other ones are that way. 

Still waiting on NYU-Tisch Cinema, Amherst, and GSU, but the way things have been going, it's not looking good.

Update: Amherst should be releasing decisions by the end of the week/beginning of next week and GSU should be releasing decisions by the end of this month, per the respective graduate admissions folks (in case anyone was curious).

Edited by ajayghale

1 hour ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Good news for you: They seem to take their international applicants very seriously. When I visited RPC this past summer, there were a number of international doctoral students...so at least they're not pulling your leg! 

Yeah, to this end, I would add that in all conversations I've had with the RPC director, he's been very clear that there're 9 candidates though only 8 of us will be at the weekend.

1 minute ago, practical cat said:

Yeah, to this end, I would add that in all conversations I've had with the RPC director, he's been very clear that there're 9 candidates though only 8 of us will be at the weekend.

You talking about Bob Hariman? 

10 minutes ago, cotes_du_groan said:

Everyday around 5-7pm has been.......................not so fun.

Sorry to hear that :(

I know you've posted some of the schools on here but what do you have left?

11 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Another Friday is here..........................may the odds be ever in your favor. 

hahahaa I like the hunger games quote but only the sentiment :) cause if we adopted that analogy wouldnt that mean we would be killing each other for a spot in a program? hahhaa