Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

31 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Utah offered me admissions (w/ a 27K fellowship nomination). 

At a loss for words about what I should do...

I do know that I can't hold on to all four of my acceptances right now (USC v. Boulder v. UNC v. Utah). 

Unless someone has access to a time tuner, then I could be in four places at once and be ayyyyyeeeee okayyyy.

YASSSSS!!!!! Congrats! The Canary's are cool people who do some really awesome research there :). I am totally feeling you...but it is a good problem to have. I am literally so torn right now between all of my acceptances, but I know that things will be clearer after some campus visits and such!

Also...I am loving all of this academia.edu love that has occurred from this board. My account has swelled 3x since yesterday! We can also be linkedin friends, yay professional social media and friends! 

44 minutes ago, cannedheat said:

Way to go! I'm so excited for you!

37 minutes ago, kaoticfen said:

Congrats! that's great news. All of those programs are great and assuming the fit is good with all four then i think you have a real tough choice on your hands.

22 minutes ago, gradswag said:

YASSSSS!!!!! Congrats! The Canary's are cool people who do some really awesome research there :). I am totally feeling you...but it is a good problem to have. I am literally so torn right now between all of my acceptances, but I know that things will be clearer after some campus visits and such!

Thanks, y'all <3 <3 <3 Now pick for me!!!

As for academia.edu, here's mine for creepers who aren't posting theirs (#follow): click here

48 minutes ago, gradswag said:

Also...I am loving all of this academia.edu love that has occurred from this board. My account has swelled 3x since yesterday! We can also be linkedin friends, yay professional social media and friends! 

Are you coming to ASU's welcome weekend? I'll be there.

20 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

For some reason my brain tends to think that checking my email with magically make a letter appear! It is totally, completely irrational, and yet I find myself casually checking it like, 50 times every day.

I think that I have checked my e-mail account more times since the start of February than in all of the years I've had that e-mail account leading up to now combined. I keep expecting to log into my e-mail account and get a message that says "you were just here, go away!"

But checking my e-mail today has actually resulted in some good news: I was accepted to the University of Michigan (Communication Studies, five years of funding) and I was invited for an interview at NYU (MCC)! Huzzah!

Though I'm still checking my e-mail every ten minutes for other updates...

Congratulations to everybody on the board - it seems that there's lots of cause for celebration!

Edited by A Librarian

35 minutes ago, A Librarian said:

I think that I have checked my e-mail account more times since the start of February than in all of the years I've had that e-mail account leading up to now combined. I keep expecting to log into my e-mail account and get a message that says "you were just here, go away!"

But checking my e-mail today has actually resulted in some good news: I was accepted to the University of Michigan (Communication Studies, five years of funding) and I was invited for an interview at NYU (MCC)! Huzzah!

Congratulations to everybody on the board - it seems that there's lots of cause for celebration!

YASS! Good for you! Congrats!!!

Question about NYU: Is it your opinion that all interview invites went out today? Or...

4 hours ago, cannedheat said:

Are you coming to ASU's welcome weekend? I'll be there.

I absolutely will be! I am really excited for it :D

51 minutes ago, A Librarian said:

YAY!!! Congrats!!!! I check my email and those portals every 30 minutes, every day, forever, for the rest of my life. 

24 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Question for all: Who among y'all is from Conshohocken, PA? 

Lol  i was about to ask that as well. I'm easy City of Angeles.

1 hour ago, A Librarian said:

Congrats! that is awesome. I love Ann arbor so you can't go wrong with Michigan.

24 minutes ago, cannedheat said:

Oh hey I just picked up a few academia.edu followers.

https://asu.academia.edu/DesireeSchluter

Has anyone heard anything from Uni of Pittsburgh or Georgia? I'm still waiting for UNC, Georgia, Amherst, and Pittsburgh. Sigh

Georgia has released. People in my cohort were accepted. Le sigh on your behalf. :/

20 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Georgia has released. People in my cohort were accepted. Le sigh on your behalf. :/

Ah well. It happens. My application still shows pending decision, so it's not over til it's over. :)

2 hours ago, A Librarian said:

Hi-- just wondering about your NYU interview request; was this for the Media + Communications PhD?

16 hours ago, kaoticfen said:

Hang in there! If you got an interview that's a good sign as it means you were a strong candidate. How did your interview go? I interviewed with Dr. Joshua Introne and Dr. Emily Rader and I had worked with neither nor specified either as someone I'd like to work with in my Academic statement. I felt immediately at a disadvantage since i knew almost nothing about them. So i just stuck with what i knew and tried to fill in the blanks for information that wasn't necessarily on my application. Things like my software developer experience and my own research experience (my first study was almost completely supported almost none of my theoretical findings!) but I think the most important thing i shared that wasn't on my statements was that i had left after completing my MA coursework so my wife could receive medical treatment she needed. I had to move to CA and completed my MA thesis remotely (I don't recommend that at all). I feel like that last bit of information humanized me a bit and made me someone they could relate too as we all have medical/familial/personal issues.  In the end i could barely tell how i did.

As a sign of encouragement, I had a friend who didn't get an interview and was accepted (and secured funding) as late as April!

I'm trying to be positive for the MSU. I recently had a chat with a friend who got his MA at MSU and started his PhD at Wisconsin-Madison and he also said that getting the interview is a very good sign. I interviewed with Dr. Emily Rader and Dr. Rabindra Ratan (both I had no former information and were not mentioned in my statement). I honestly have no clue whether I did well on the interview :( While talking they asked me of what am I up to lately and I mainly talked about my most recent research proposal that I submitted for an international conference and was not included in my statement. Also I recall Dr. Rader mentioning that her current project is very much related to my research interest when I explained it to them as an answer to an interview question.

Your last encouragement kinda made me feel more hopeful !! Thank you @kaoticfen ! Fingers crossed for your other applications! :D 

13 hours ago, kaoticfen said:

I love Ann arbor so you can't go wrong with Michigan.

Awesome! I've heard good things about Ann Arbor but I haven't ever been before, I'm looking forward to checking it out.

14 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Question about NYU: Is it your opinion that all interview invites went out today? Or...

Not sure, but it seems like they're scheduling interviews for a three hour block (skype interviews) this Thursday.

12 hours ago, brekekexkoax said:

Hi-- just wondering about your NYU interview request; was this for the Media + Communications PhD?

Yes, MCC (Media, Culture and Communication).

Hopefully we all hear more good news in the coming days!

5 minutes ago, A Librarian said:

Awesome! I've heard good things about Ann Arbor but I haven't ever been before, I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Not sure, but it seems like they're scheduling interviews for a three hour block (skype interviews) this Thursday.

Yes, MCC (Media, Culture and Communication).

Hopefully we all hear more good news in the coming days!

so they might still be calling people, you think? to schedule, i mean.

14 hours ago, A Librarian said:

Congrats! You really can't go wrong with UMich...in my humble, very biased opinion

38 minutes ago, kaoticfen said:

Oh man its interesting how this is funny now cause lf i had read this a month ago i might have cried in a corner somewhere.

Na! You can't take it personally. I was rejected by all schools last year except one and it didn't even fund me. It sucked, but other the course of the year I learned that what I research is not really considered "sexy" research. Nor do I have any real teaching or research experience (my MA program didn't offer it) and no published work except my thesis. When I stack up against other applicants who have these things going for them...well, I can't take it personally when an ADCOMM chooses them. I get it.

I'm interested in the political economy of rhetorical framing and the subsequent influence on public policy. My MA thesis is on Monsanto if that gives you any ideas of what kind of research I do. :P

I'm surprised I got into ASU because the professors there don't really do that research either, but I figured it's the home team advantage and what not.

Edited by cannedheat

14 minutes ago, cannedheat said:

Na! You can't take it personally. I was rejected by all schools last year except one and it didn't even fund me. It sucked, but other the course of the year I learned that what I research is not really considered "sexy" research. Nor do I have any real teaching or research experience (my MA program didn't offer it) and no published work except my thesis. When I stack up against other applicants who have these things going for them...well, I can't take it personally when an ADCOMM chooses them. I get it.

I'm interested in the political economy of rhetorical framing and the subsequent influence on public policy. My MA thesis is on Monsanto if that gives you any ideas of what kind of research I do. :P

I'm surprised I got into ASU because the professors there don't really do that research either, but I figured it's the home team advantage and what not.

My research is "too sexy", if you will. I've had a few academics scoff at my work and tell me it has no place in the field of communication. It is all about proper fit and finding people who value what you bring to the table! I am sure this season will work out much better for you than last season (and it already has started to)!