Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

29 minutes ago, cannedheat said:

Na! You can't take it personally. I was rejected by all schools last year except one and it didn't even fund me. It sucked, but other the course of the year I learned that what I research is not really considered "sexy" research. Nor do I have any real teaching or research experience (my MA program didn't offer it) and no published work except my thesis. When I stack up against other applicants who have these things going for them...well, I can't take it personally when an ADCOMM chooses them. I get it.

I'm interested in the political economy of rhetorical framing and the subsequent influence on public policy. My MA thesis is on Monsanto if that gives you any ideas of what kind of research I do. :P

I'm surprised I got into ASU because the professors there don't really do that research either, but I figured it's the home team advantage and what not.

I actually knew a former lawyer for Monsanto who now is on the other side of environmental legal issues. Okay that makes sense since the programs you applied to were focused on rhetoric right? Is your work mostly qualitative? Cause to me it seems in COMM "sexy" researcher seems to be quantitative in nature since a lot of grants are geared towards that kind of research. Not saying that's right or anything but that seems to be what I've seen personally.

For me I had some great research exposure in my MA program and one thing i felt was that i was being shaped into a quality researcher. However, I feel like its a double edged sword as the research that I ultimately wanted to work on were topics that my professors were working on. So when it came to apply to different schools i found other schools with good fits for me but the best fit was the school that had trained me. I feel like my two years there wasn't enough time and im excited about the possibility of going back you know? Though i welcome the opportunity to study elsewhere (c'mon other offers!)

34 minutes ago, kaoticfen said:

I actually knew a former lawyer for Monsanto who now is on the other side of environmental legal issues. Okay that makes sense since the programs you applied to were focused on rhetoric right? Is your work mostly qualitative? Cause to me it seems in COMM "sexy" researcher seems to be quantitative in nature since a lot of grants are geared towards that kind of research. Not saying that's right or anything but that seems to be what I've seen personally.

For me I had some great research exposure in my MA program and one thing i felt was that i was being shaped into a quality researcher. However, I feel like its a double edged sword as the research that I ultimately wanted to work on were topics that my professors were working on. So when it came to apply to different schools i found other schools with good fits for me but the best fit was the school that had trained me. I feel like my two years there wasn't enough time and im excited about the possibility of going back you know? Though i welcome the opportunity to study elsewhere (c'mon other offers!)

Yes, my work is mostly qualitative. I applied to programs with both a rhetoric focus and cultural/media studies focus. I know a couple of people at ASU right now who study what I study, just not professors, so I went ahead and applied. :P

Edited to add: In my research on Monsanto's PR tactics, I found a ton of claims of scientists and academics being silenced and fired (or  lost tenure) because they wrote about either Monsanto or GMO technologies-- both US and International. It's kind of scary if it's true, actually. If I continue on that particular path, I know it'll be interesting, at least.

Edited by cannedheat

1 hour ago, gradswag said:

My research is "too sexy", if you will. I've had a few academics scoff at my work and tell me it has no place in the field of communication. It is all about proper fit and finding people who value what you bring to the table! I am sure this season will work out much better for you than last season (and it already has started to)!

Indeed. :) My research interests fit really well in Sociology or Poli Sci. I'm not a Poli Sci or Soc researcher, though. It's just tough, you know? 

2 hours ago, cannedheat said:

Yes, my work is mostly qualitative. I applied to programs with both a rhetoric focus and cultural/media studies focus. I know a couple of people at ASU right now who study what I study, just not professors, so I went ahead and applied. :P

Edited to add: In my research on Monsanto's PR tactics, I found a ton of claims of scientists and academics being silenced and fired (or  lost tenure) because they wrote about either Monsanto or GMO technologies-- both US and International. It's kind of scary if it's true, actually. If I continue on that particular path, I know it'll be interesting, at least.

Work with Aaron Hess! He just wrote that book about participatory critical rhetoric with Middleton, Endres, and Senda-Cook. You know how fun it would be to embed yourself within the middle of some community/group destroyed by Monsanto? Would make for a great dissertation! 

39 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Work with Aaron Hess! He just wrote that book about participatory critical rhetoric with Middleton, Endres, and Senda-Cook. You know how fun it would be to embed yourself within the middle of some community/group destroyed by Monsanto? Would make for a great dissertation! 

This Aaron Hess?

https://webapp4.asu.edu/directory/person/786590

2 hours ago, cannedheat said:

3 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

I can't say for certain because for some reason I can't find my most recent SOP for ASU, but I'm 99% sure that Hess and Brouwer were the reasons I was even thinking I might fit. 

31 minutes ago, cannedheat said:

I can't say for certain because for some reason I can't find my most recent SOP for ASU, but I'm 99% sure that Hess and Brouwer were the reasons I was even thinking I might fit. 

That's Aaron Hess! And oh my gosh -- Brouwer's work on tattoos is pretty awesome. Him and my advisor at Syracuse are friends. 

You'll be around good people (but you know that since you've already been there). 

8 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

That's Aaron Hess! And oh my gosh -- Brouwer's work on tattoos is pretty awesome. Him and my advisor at Syracuse are friends. 

You'll be around good people (but you know that since you've already been there). 

Can I ask who your advisor is? 

EDIT: JK I creeped on your Academia.edu account ;) 

Edited by gradswag

56 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Yes I kind of knew it, my MA program was on a different campus and through a different college. ASU has 5 campuses and an online program, lol. BIG school.

8 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

Februgatory is almost halfway over.....for those of you stressing like me, or worried about your Academia.edu follower count :P, maybe we need a motivational penguin today.

giphy.gif

*Hugs motivational penguin who slips notice of acceptance/rejection in my back pocket"

57 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Yuck. I just withdrew from USC Annenberg and it felt awful. I hate telling people "no." But now that means another funded spot is open--hope one of y'all get it :-) 

Dang man that's tough but needs to be done. What was the deciding factor if you dont mind my asking? I went to PhD visitation days and ultimately felt it wasn't for me which was a bummer since i work for USC.

2 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Yuck. I just withdrew from USC Annenberg and it felt awful. I hate telling people "no." But now that means another funded spot is open--hope one of y'all get it :-) 

It is good to make decisions though! It feels good to have some control in an overall situation that is very out of your control :) 

1 hour ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

My partner applied to and was rejected from the American Studies and Ethnicity program at USC, and so that sealed deal. Though, I am confident we would have turned it down regardless. Because we didn't know how we were going to be perceived by programs, we applied to three schools where we didn't seek the same application (USC=Communication/American Studies; Northwestern=RPC/Performance Studies; NYU=MCC/American Studies) and four schools together (Utah, UNC, Boulder, UPENN). With the exception of UPENN (which we're still waiting for), we were successful at the others we applied to together. USC was on the chopping block from the moment UNC offered us admissions. In short, I just think it's hard to beat UNC for rhetorical studies. Though, I'm headed to Boulder soon to see what they have to offer--so the door of possibilities is open still! If UPENN calls for us, then this matrix gets even more complicated.... 

Sorry, you didn't ask for all that...just wanted to share because I'm #stressed lol 

Grad Cafe = Therapy 

No that's totally fine and thanks for sharing. So a bit about myself, my wife has a debilitating medical condition that really limited where i could apply. Ultimately it was an answer to prayer that I was accepted to Michigan State. It was my first choice school but additionally that is where she is grew up. Having the support of family and friends was a huge factor in my applications so i totally get trying to do things together with your partner. Having a support structure is a significant reason why i excelled in my graduate program.

also, I love the fact that you have a matrix because i have one as well =)

2 minutes ago, kaoticfen said:

No that's totally fine and thanks for sharing. So a bit about myself, my wife has a debilitating medical condition that really limited where i could apply. Ultimately it was an answer to prayer that I was accepted to Michigan State. It was my first choice school but additionally that is where she is grew up. Having the support of family and friends was a huge factor in my applications so i totally get trying to do things together with your partner. Having a support structure is a significant reason why i excelled in my graduate program.

also, I love the fact that you have a matrix because i have one as well =)

Hell yes - I can't imagine trying to navigating the dating world (or feeling lonely) while stressing about research. Graduate school is significantly more enjoyable when relationships are figured out! 

#MATRIX

10 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Hell yes - I can't imagine trying to navigating the dating world (or feeling lonely) while stressing about research. Graduate school is significantly more enjoyable when relationships are figured out! 

Here here!

Congratulations @the_queer_ecologist on the MCC admit! Let me know if you have any questions about the department.

3 hours ago, A Librarian said:

Here here!

Congratulations @the_queer_ecologist on the MCC admit! Let me know if you have any questions about the department.

Oh my gosh -- I meant to say "with the exception of UPENN AND NYU..."

I've totally been rejected at NYU I bet lol. Sorry for the confusion!