Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

On 2/3/2016 at 11:04 PM, smw0805 said:

Turns out they do have it. Why didn't they tell me?! 

I have no idea but i'm telling you USC is still very old school. That should change in the next few years with the many improvements and overhaul that is going to happen to the Student Information Systems. Did you get accepted?

I hope everyone is handling the tension of the application season well! I Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone has heard from the University of Memphis? I have been accepted but wait listed for funding, just seeing if anyone who has had an offer extended to them if it came with a decision deadline or not. Does anyone else have an experience with being wait listed for funding for a PhD program? Do they really expect someone to attend without funding? 

28 minutes ago, Hugs4Hugs said:

I hope everyone is handling the tension of the application season well! I Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone has heard from the University of Memphis? I have been accepted but wait listed for funding, just seeing if anyone who has had an offer extended to them if it came with a decision deadline or not. Does anyone else have an experience with being wait listed for funding for a PhD program? Do they really expect someone to attend without funding? 

I was accepted to North Carolina State University last year without funding. It happens. I had until the first day of classes to actually decide to attend but I deferred enrollment until Fall 2016 and was directed to write a letter of intent asking for funding. I dunno what will happen yet. The director of the program said it'll be a few months before they know anything. In all honestly, the NCSU program is a fantastic fit for me, probably the best fit of all the programs I applied for Fall of 2015. This application season, I think UMASS Amherst is the best fit (I fit with 7 or 8 professors there) but NCSU is the second best. 

Good luck!

1 minute ago, Hugs4Hugs said:

From what i understand some bigger state schools like UT-Austin will wait list and accept people then try to get them funding. I had a friend that got accepted late but was unable to secure funding. She declined the offer but found out later from a classmate that she could have done a couple different things. Funding is generally listed by the department but there are usually funding opportunities outside of the department. She found out from another doctoral student that she could have secured funding from a different department especially since she was a PhD student. For example, at MSU you can secure a Graduate assistant position in the office of Student affairs, Graduate school and many other departments outside of the Comm dept. Also during my MA at MSU because of all the research opportunities there was at least one or two opportunities per semester for open GA positions. Obviously it would be great to get funding within the department but it's still possible to get it after you arrive. Here at USC I've spoken to the director at Annenberg and once you are admitted to the PhD program everyone who is accepted receives a fellowship and they don't admit students without funding. Hope this helps.

21 hours ago, gb16 said:

Hi!

Has anyone on here (or anyone who's been creeping like me) heard anything from UW-Madison for the Rhetoric, Politics, and Culture program in Comm Arts? I had an interview in mid January with them and was told I would probably be contacted for another one "in a few weeks", but I haven't heard a thing since. Anyone else in the same boat?

I didn't apply to the program, but I can confirm that others have heard! 

6 hours ago, Hugs4Hugs said:

Last year, a boy in the cohort before mine was waitlisted for funding at Iowa. He ended up getting that money, so I have seen it work out for someone! Best of luck to you :-) 

Funding wait lists are super frustrating. I am on a waitlist at UTA and Rutgers right now, and I just want to know where I stand. I have two funded offers on the table, which is amazing, but it would be nice to have an idea of where I stand! 

29 minutes ago, gradswag said:

Funding wait lists are super frustrating. I am on a waitlist at UTA and Rutgers right now, and I just want to know where I stand. I have two funded offers on the table, which is amazing, but it would be nice to have an idea of where I stand! 

Agreed! You applied to Oklahoma too? I'm hoping to here from them soon but Jan 31st was their deadline so it hasn't even been a full week yet. I had some great correspondence with several professors so im hoping for an interview at least

8 hours ago, kaoticfen said:

I have no idea but i'm telling you USC is still very old school. That should change in the next few years with the many improvements and overhaul that is going to happen to the Student Information Systems. Did you get accepted?

No word from USC yet. But I got accepted into NYU today! My first acceptance, feels good :) 

7 minutes ago, kaoticfen said:

Agreed! You applied to Oklahoma too? I'm hoping to here from them soon but Jan 31st was their deadline so it hasn't even been a full week yet. I had some great correspondence with several professors so im hoping for an interview at least

Yeah! I met with two of their faculty members and some graduate students who are doing research in an area that I really like at NCA. Their faculty/grad students were super nice and welcoming, which is great. What is your area of concentration? :) 

Accepted at Arizona State! Woot!!! My undergrad and graduate degree are from ASU...not an ideal situation but it'll make it a lot easier for me and my family to stay in state. We'll see if anything else pans out first of course. And, of course, the welcome weekend is during my younger brother's wedding. 

Just now, cannedheat said:

Accepted at Arizona State! Woot!!! My undergrad and graduate degree are from ASU...not an ideal situation but it'll make it a lot easier for me and my family to stay in state. We'll see if anything else pans out first of course. And, of course, the welcome weekend is during my younger brother's wedding. 

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boom, now UMASS & NCSU will come through and you'll be making a tough decision (or, rather, you'll have options!!!!!). 

4 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

I didn't apply to the program, but I can confirm that others have heard! 

Thanks! I just got my second acceptance of the week today (Texas A&M for Comm and Missouri for journalism) but I'm still holding out hope for Wisconsin and the RPC program. These next two months are going to be so hard having to choose! Good luck to everyone else out there!

Just now, gb16 said:

Thanks! I just got my second acceptance of the week today (Texas A&M for Comm and Missouri for journalism) but I'm still holding out hope for Wisconsin and the RPC program. These next two months are going to be so hard having to choose! Good luck to everyone else out there!

A girl in my cohort was LIKELY accepted to A&M. She won't confirm her acceptance, but I expect she did. It looks like a fun program :-). Matt May, a professor there, is an awesome activist too. 

8 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

A girl in my cohort was LIKELY accepted to A&M. She won't confirm her acceptance, but I expect she did. It looks like a fun program :-). Matt May, a professor there, is an awesome activist too. 

Yes! I'm actually a master's student at A&M right now in another department but I took a course with Dr. May last fall and he convinced me to apply for the Comm program. He's a great professor!

2 minutes ago, gb16 said:

Yes! I'm actually a master's student at A&M right now in another department but I took a course with Dr. May last fall and he convinced me to apply for the Comm program. He's a great professor!

How cool!!!! He earned his MA from my undergraduate institution (University of North Texas). I had the opportunity to sit at the same table as him while at Penn State's Camp Rhetoric (didn't talk to him much--I let the other student in my cohort buddy up with him since I knew she would apply). Cool dude for sure!!!

13 hours ago, gradswag said:

Yeah! I met with two of their faculty members and some graduate students who are doing research in an area that I really like at NCA. Their faculty/grad students were super nice and welcoming, which is great. What is your area of concentration? :) 

So I have a couple: Health Communication, Persuasion, and Computer mediated Communication. I echo that sentiment. Everyone i talked to there was very welcoming and seemed to have a vested interest in what i wanted to do in regards to research. Good luck on applying there! from the look of your signature though it looks like you might have a difficult time deciding =) I've only been accepted to MSU but it was my first choice anyways so that's good =)

12 hours ago, cannedheat said:

Congrats! That's awesome. At least you have options! Family means a lot! My wife has a particular medical condition that was a large consideration on where i applied (needed to be near a Urologist who specialized in her condition).

I just committed to a welcome weekend. It was a little difficult to choose, as two of my three schools scheduled their welcome weekends on top of each other. Whatever! I had to make a choice. It feels so weird (but good) to be in the process of investigating rather than praying that someone notices me haha. 

Hey everyone––I've been lurking around this forum for a while, but my stress combined with everyone's warmth encouraged me to sign up. Today I was notified that I'm on the waitlist for the University of Oregon's Media Studies program. I was wondering if there were any users who were accepted but might attend elsewhere? This whole process is so stressful! I spent half an hour today following my cat around the house, trying to get her to cuddle.

On 2/4/2016 at 7:44 AM, gb16 said:

Hi!

Has anyone on here (or anyone who's been creeping like me) heard anything from UW-Madison for the Rhetoric, Politics, and Culture program in Comm Arts? I had an interview in mid January with them and was told I would probably be contacted for another one "in a few weeks", but I haven't heard a thing since. Anyone else in the same boat?

Hey, sorry for the late reply, I got an acceptance letter to Rhetoric on 3rd Feb. I had two interviews and a week of waiting after the second. They told me an offer letter will follow.

Why don't you write to them and ask?

On 2/5/2016 at 9:48 AM, kaoticfen said:

So I have a couple: Health Communication, Persuasion, and Computer mediated Communication. I echo that sentiment. Everyone i talked to there was very welcoming and seemed to have a vested interest in what i wanted to do in regards to research. Good luck on applying there! from the look of your signature though it looks like you might have a difficult time deciding =) I've only been accepted to MSU but it was my first choice anyways so that's good =)

Very neat! I have a main focus of interpersonal/relational communication but also enjoy the study of health communication (or the intersection of the two). My thesis is on serial arguing, and two faculty members at OU are currently engaged in research surrounding this area, which is really cool! Good luck applying as well! I am sure we will both have a tough choice to make at the end here :D. I am literally not even sure how I am going to make a decision, but I am hoping that after attending welcome weekends at each school I will have a much clearer picture as to where I belong :)