Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

@Buckeye16 Congrats on your interview though! UWM is super competitive, and it is a huge honor to even get an interview there. How do you feel it went? Did you feel like you really jived with your POI?

I received my first acceptance on Monday to Penn State, with full funding! I honestly had almost been waiting for them to tell me it was a mistake for a few days now, but then I received my final admission offer in my email this morning. After my UCSB rejection last week, I was starting to look into a Plan B, and now it is nice to feel secure in knowing I will be going some where next year. :) 

Edited by gradswag

1 hour ago, gradswag said:

@Buckeye16 Congrats on your interview though! UWM is super competitive, and it is a huge honor to even get an interview there. How do you feel it went? Did you feel like you really jived with your POI?

I received my first acceptance on Monday to Penn State, with full funding! I honestly had almost been waiting for them to tell me it was a mistake for a few days now, but then I received my final admission offer in my email this morning. After my UCSB rejection last week, I was starting to look into a Plan B, and now it is nice to feel secure in knowing I will be going some where next year. :) 

Congratulations!!!!! That's HUGE. :):)

1 hour ago, comm2016 said:

Just got an interview from Cornell... not quiet sure whether it is a good program or not...

Hi comm2016, did you apply for their PhD communication program?

@Gradswag Penn State is awesome! Congrats. That must be such a relief! I'm mentally in the Plan B stage but still hopeful. I'm not sure how my UW interview went. The questions were very direct, which was surprising. I think we jived-ish. I didn't know it was so competitive. I found this website after the interview...and now I see just how tough it is to get into some programs. I just got an email about an Iowa interview which I am very excited about...time to study up on some CVs and articles! 

@comm2016 congrats! Cornell's Comm program is highly ranked and a very strong program depending on your research interests. 

Cornell is very good, unless you mean whether it fits your research interests, which is a different matter entirely. 

Congrats to the people who have acceptances coming in, I'm mentally preparing for another round next year already... 

10 minutes ago, Swans said:

Congrats to the people who have acceptances coming in, I'm mentally preparing for another round next year already... 

Same, haven't heard back about any acceptances or even interviews... only a rejection. Sigh. Just another year to bulk up that experience/$avings account, RIGHT?

14 minutes ago, cotes_du_groan said:

Same, haven't heard back about any acceptances or even interviews... only a rejection. Sigh. Just another year to bulk up that experience/$avings account, RIGHT?

It ain't over til it's over, friend. I would still keep on and make plans for the future that doesn't include school, though. I was only accepted to one program last year and it was without funding, so I went into HR for the interim. It's not ideal but it pays the bills. I'm waiting on UNC Chapel Hill (likely a reject!), Uni of WA, Uni of MA Amherst, Uni of Georgia, Uni of Pittsburgh, and ASU (my alma mater...). Plus I'm being reconsidered for funding at NC State--where I was accepted last year. I figure if nothing works out, I'll stay the course of HR. There's lots of opportunity to grow and I can work anywhere in HR. 

Well, there's only a few things you can do. I took the GRE again and improved my score by 5 points. I finished my MA thesis and published it (through proquest, but still, published!). I am working on turning it into a smaller journal article, that's slow going as I work full time and I'm applying to programs. I mentioned that I plan to publish more in my SOP, though. I wrote a much clearer and determined SOP than last time, I have a much better idea of my research interests this time around. I applied to programs with a much better fit. And I changed out one of my letter writers, the original LOR writer tends to be very subdued and not very enthusiastic so I asked my MA program director for advice and she said she would write me a very enthusiastic letter instead.

So, here's to hoping that I'm a more competitive applicant this time around.

6 hours ago, gradswag said:

Congratulations!!!  that's awesome!!! :)  I'm still waiting for news about UCSB....

Edited by Satynne

9 hours ago, Buckeye16 said:

Hi All! I've been lurking without posting for a while now, so I can chime in on this. I can confirm interviews with the UW Mad Comm Arts Comm Science track. I had an interview with my POI early last week. No word yet! Honestly, I didn't know that interviews were a thing. I was under-prepared for the interview. When I applied to MA programs there was not an interview, just an acceptance email. *sigh*

Same!!  When I applied for the master's degree I applied to 5 universities and non of them asked me for an interview, I just received the acceptance email....  but I applied to British universities so it could be different in the US. However, I did have one interview and was for an university in Mexico which was odd since I didn't expect that one to have more pre-requisites than universities abroad. 

17 hours ago, Buckeye16 said:

Hi All! I've been lurking without posting for a while now, so I can chime in on this. I can confirm interviews with the UW Mad Comm Arts Comm Science track. I had an interview with my POI early last week. No word yet! Honestly, I didn't know that interviews were a thing. I was under-prepared for the interview. When I applied to MA programs there was not an interview, just an acceptance email. *sigh*

Hi Buckeye16! :) 

I had no idea interviews were a thing for my program either. I didn't know whether to take it as a good thing or bad thing that they requested one. 

Where have you applied to?

11 hours ago, smw0805 said:

Hi Buckeye16! :) 

I had no idea interviews were a thing for my program either. I didn't know whether to take it as a good thing or bad thing that they requested one. 

Where have you applied to?

I've applied to Communication PhD programs at Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, and UC Davis. Fingers crossed for a future for all of us!  

18 hours ago, comm2016 said:

Just got an acceptance letter from UT Austin... advertising Ph.D. 

Finger crossed for USC... 

Congrats comm2016! 

Thank you to everyone for the congratulations, fingers crossed you guys get to experience the same relief within the next few weeks here! The acceptances are coming for you :)

@Buckeye16 you are killin it, Iowa is an awesome program, too! 

@Satynne No news is good news for now, they didn't weed you out in the first round of rejections (like me) so it is a really good sign for you!

19 hours ago, comm2016 said:

Just got an acceptance letter from UT Austin... advertising Ph.D. 

Finger crossed for USC... 

Congrats! I just received my acceptance to the Comm Studies PhD program there this morning!

On 1/21/2016 at 3:12 PM, gradswag said:

Thank you to everyone for the congratulations, fingers crossed you guys get to experience the same relief within the next few weeks here! The acceptances are coming for you :)

@Buckeye16 you are killin it, Iowa is an awesome program, too! 

@Satynne No news is good news for now, they didn't weed you out in the first round of rejections (like me) so it is a really good sign for you!

Congrats! I just received my acceptance to the Comm Studies PhD program there this morning!

:) I really hope so!

Out of topic, but is there a listing of the ranking of the Canadian communication programs? out of curiosity I was looking at some of the programs that I found with phd in communication in Canada, but  I don't really know a lot of the universities, I'm kind of just familiar with McGill, Toronto Uni and UBC..... 

Has anyone heard back from Comm (RPC) at Northwestern? I know that Performance Studies sent out invites for interviews. I heard a rumor (so take it with a grain of salt) that all interview notices were supposed to be sent out by 5:00 PM on Friday (1/23).