Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

4 hours ago, PhD:2016 said:

Has anybody here applied to, and heard from the ComArts department at Wisconson-Madison?

@PhD:2016 I had an interview with my POI mid-January but I haven't heard anything since then. That was with the Communication Science track. Which track did you apply for? 

14 hours ago, Buckeye16 said:

@PhD:2016 I had an interview with my POI mid-January but I haven't heard anything since then. That was with the Communication Science track. Which track did you apply for? 

I've applied to RPC and I had two interviews, first was good and the second has left me really nervous, but they said they'd have some answers for us this week. I guess I'm just too impatient.

How was your interview?

8 hours ago, PhD:2016 said:

I've applied to RPC and I had two interviews, first was good and the second has left me really nervous, but they said they'd have some answers for us this week. I guess I'm just too impatient.

How was your interview?

Congrats on two interviews! That must be a good sign. My interview went okay-ish. I really did not know what to expect, so I think I was a little underwhelming. We will see. I'm not sure how different the tracks are with notifications and interviews, but hopefully I'll get some news this week too.

Turns out I was l wasn't as underwhelming as I thought I was. My first acceptance and it comes with full funding! o_0 I keep refreshing my email to see if it was a mistake. Crossing my fingers that you all get some good news soon too!

Have y'all started weighing your options between programs? 3/7 of my programs have reported acceptances (each with funding)...with one likely reporting a rejection. Of the three programs remaining, I'm certain I'll get into one of them...as for somewhere like UPENN or NYU, I'm more doubtful. I feel like it's time to start planning! 

Edited by the_queer_ecologist

4 hours ago, Buckeye16 said:

Turns out I was l wasn't as underwhelming as I thought I was. My first acceptance and it comes with full funding! o_0 I keep refreshing my email to see if it was a mistake. Crossing my fingers that you all get some good news soon too!

Congratulations!! Is this your top preference?

I haven't received any emails, so I guess that's a pretty bad sign. I've applied to the MA+PhD programme and the fit was pretty perfect so I am surprised.

Guest Grad19204
On 1/30/2016 at 2:00 PM, TWD2016 said:

I applied to Screen Cultures and I haven't heard anything either. I thought that they would release the RPC and Screen Cultures invite at the same time, but apparently not. I just want the period to be over too !

On 1/30/2016 at 9:27 AM, saltome said:

Hey all, been following this thread for a while now. I applied to 6 schools, and have heard back from 2 so far: admitted to UIUC's ICR PhD and University of Minnesota's Communication Studies PhD. I also applied for Northwestern's Screen Cultures PhD, but no word as of yet. Has anyone else that applied to Screen Cultures heard anything? I saw the RPC invite (Grats practical cat!), but nothing about SC. Not that I expect to get a request for an interview (I'm an out-of-field app); I just want the waiting period to be over! So hard to concentrate on real life while waiting for admission decisions, haha.

I applied to Screen Cultures. I just got a cryptic e-mail inviting me to campus this month. No prior communication, no offer letter, no instructions, no travel or accommodations info, no nothing. Just a congratulatory e-mail telling me I've been invited. Either the offer letter is coming through snail mail or they've been calling people in for informal interviews disguised as campus visits. Regardless, I think Screen Cultures has notified the first wave of admits...

12 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Have y'all started weighing your options between programs? 3/7 of my programs have reported acceptances (each with funding)...with one likely reporting a rejection. Of the three programs remaining, I'm certain I'll get into one of them...as for somewhere like UPENN or NYU, I'm more doubtful. I feel like it's time to start planning! 

I am trying to have an open mind as I receive more acceptances. Getting into Penn State first kind of made everything difficult. However, at least two of the three programs I have been accepted to are flying me out to visit, so I want to give them each a fair and honest chance. I am hoping now that February is here that we will each have a clear picture of our options by the end of the month! I only have three schools left to hear from and I have a pretty good feeling about all three. :) 

Edited by gradswag

8 hours ago, cikkatikkaskwarr said:

I applied to Screen Cultures. I just got a cryptic e-mail inviting me to campus this month. No prior communication, no offer letter, no instructions, no travel or accommodations info, no nothing. Just a congratulatory e-mail telling me I've been invited. Either the offer letter is coming through snail mail or they've been calling people in for informal interviews disguised as campus visits. Regardless, I think Screen Cultures has notified the first wave of admits...

Grats, cikkatikkaskwarr! I'm jealous; I didn't receive any email, cryptic or otherwise, so I am guessing that means I am out of the running for Screen Cultures. Hope the interview/visit goes well for you :) 

I'm a little bummed also because my status on the GATS page never changed from "application: incomplete". It says I was missing TOEFL, even though I am a domestic app. When I called about a month ago, I was told "Oh yeah, a couple of other people have mentioned the same issue, no need to worry about it, your app will still be looked at." But that didn't ease my concern any, haha.

9 hours ago, cikkatikkaskwarr said:

I got the same email! My online portal still just says "submitted." I called the department and didn't receive a straight answer on the status of my application, but it sounds like we should be getting follow-up calls or emails from the graduate school soon ...

ETA: I just called the graduate school, and it sounds like this email means they want us to come for an interview. The lady I talked to also said we should be getting further communication soon.

Edited by libvan

Guest Grad19204
34 minutes ago, libvan said:

I got the same email! My online portal still just says "submitted." I called the department and didn't receive a straight answer on the status of my application, but it sounds like we should be getting follow-up calls or emails from the graduate school soon ...

ETA: I just called the graduate school, and it sounds like this email means they want us to come for an interview. The lady I talked to also said we should be getting further communication soon.

I hope, because I also just got an acceptance letter from the U of Chicago! Now I definitely have to fly up there...

And thanks, saltome. Good luck the rest of the way!

Edited by Grad19204
misspelling

11 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Well my notices have just started coming in. I just received my acceptance email today from MSU and I'll be flying out there. I'm still hopeful that some of my other schools i'll here back from so i dont want to plan just yet but it certainly is exciting. I feel like towards the end of the month i'll have a better perspective as two my schools werent due till Jan 31st

Thanks PhD:2016. I received an email from my POI and it looks like there were only two of us that posted in the results, so I'm sure you'll hear soon, but I wouldn't be worried about it. No official letter yet. Madison is definitely one of my top choices. 

Congrats to everyone hearing things back. Seems like a lot of us are starting to get some answers. 

Ugh I hate this. I feel like I'm going to be rejected or waitlisted every where I applied. I don't expect to hear from NCSU before April about funding so I'm kind of stuck. I only have 1 reject so far, but results have been posted at two schools were my application is showing pending review status. Sad day!

16 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

I haven't heard anything from any program whatsoever. I am thinking, however, that Wisconsin-Madison and Northwestern are out just based on what I've seen in terms of acceptances here on the forum. 

Unfortunately, I can't start planning anything yet, other than what my plans B, C, and D will be in the event of another shutout. 

Edit: Just got my rejection notice from Wisconsin-Madison. 

Edited by ajayghale

17 minutes ago, cannedheat said:

Ugh I hate this. I feel like I'm going to be rejected or waitlisted every where I applied. I don't expect to hear from NCSU before April about funding so I'm kind of stuck. I only have 1 reject so far, but results have been posted at two schools were my application is showing pending review status. Sad day!

Hang in there @cannedheat I know some schools do as many as three rounds of interview groups before they finally offer funding.

6 hours ago, gradswag said:

I am trying to have an open mind as I receive more acceptances. Getting into Penn State first kind of made everything difficult. However, at least two of the three programs I have been accepted to are flying me out to visit, so I want to give them each a fair and honest chance. I am hoping now that February is here that we will each have a clear picture of our options by the end of the month! I only have three schools left to hear from and I have a pretty good feeling about all three. :) 

;-) I know how you feel about Penn State. When UNC-Chapel Hill offered me a spot in December, I immediately fell into that position of "YASSSSSS....I feel secure." 

I've promised myself that I wouldn't accept until the first week in April. I'm going to give myself time to making a long term funding plan, visit schools, talk to people, and really reflect on my decision. I just recently had to make a *difficult* choice about welcome weekends. UNC-Chapel Hill and CU-Boulder both scheduled welcome weekend on the same days...I ultimately decided to visit CU-Boulder. 

I can't wait to see the UPENN Annenberg results. All four members of my cohort applied there (wrongfully, I might add...it doesn't match everyone's interests). But I think at least one of us will scoot through the door. That will definitely complicate things. 

UGHHHHHH...........I love this process but it hurts. 

1 hour ago, ajayghale said:

I haven't heard anything from any program whatsoever. I am thinking, however, that Wisconsin-Madison and Northwestern are out just based on what I've seen in terms of acceptances here on the forum. 

Unfortunately, I can't start planning anything yet, other than what my plans B, C, and D will be in the event of another shutout. 

Edit: Just got my rejection notice from Wisconsin-Madison. 

I talked with Bob Hariman this morning and if you didn't get an interview, you're not *necessarily* out, but you basically are toast. I'm in that boat. 

What branch of communication do you study? 

27 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

I talked with Bob Hariman this morning and if you didn't get an interview, you're not *necessarily* out, but you basically are toast. I'm in that boat. 

What branch of communication do you study? 

Media Studies/Television Studies, or at least since the beginning of last year. I have no formal experience in communication or media studies. 

Just now, ajayghale said:

Media Studies/Television Studies, or at least since the beginning of last year. I have no formal experience in communication or media studies. 

I should have read your footer/signature thing. I would have been able to answer my own question about your track :)

On 27/01/2016 at 10:32 PM, kaoticfen said:

Yeah its pretty Crazy. It should be going to a new system here in the next few years but yes all of it is manual. So unfortunately for USC the SIS department is always busy as i've told the schools receives hundreds of applicants a week and peaks during the fall. I would try a skype-to-landline call if you can I think the rates are $0.02 a min if i remember right.

Turns out they do have it. Why didn't they tell me?! 

30 minutes ago, PhD:2016 said:

@Buckeye16 Looks like I was worrying for nothing: Just got my acceptance letter from Madison too. Waiting on the offer letter, but I'm so happy! and Relieved! 

That's awesome! Congratulations!!

I just got word that I've been accepted to Iowa as well. I thought applying and waiting was tough...decision-making is going to be so hard!

Hi!

Has anyone on here (or anyone who's been creeping like me) heard anything from UW-Madison for the Rhetoric, Politics, and Culture program in Comm Arts? I had an interview in mid January with them and was told I would probably be contacted for another one "in a few weeks", but I haven't heard a thing since. Anyone else in the same boat?