Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

2 minutes ago, kaoticfen said:

I'm curious have any of you contacted the schools that you have received no information from? I'm kinda curious what the protocol is.

giphy.gif

^^Just send that gif and acknowledge you're an applicant ;)

(But yes, I contacted Northwestern. However, I talked with a professor I spent a week with over the summer...so it wasn't weird to ask). 

39 minutes ago, kaoticfen said:

I'm curious have any of you contacted the schools that you have received no information from? I'm kinda curious what the protocol is.

I have not contacted any of the schools that I haven't heard from, but I would think that a polite email to the director of graduate studies inquiring about the status of your application, or an approximate date when you might hear about your application would be appropriate! Some schools have a graduate advisor that serves as a point of contact for inquiries of that sort, so it might feel a little less daunting to reach out to them first :)

Darn, I wanted to join in on the academia.edu fun but apparently my account was locked for suspicious behaviour. All I did was upload two papers and follow a few researchers, weird! 

6 minutes ago, Swans said:

Darn, I wanted to join in on the academia.edu fun but apparently my account was locked for suspicious behaviour. All I did was upload two papers and follow a few researchers, weird! 

Oh no!!! Maybe you can make a new account? 

16 minutes ago, gradswag said:

Oh no!!! Maybe you can make a new account? 

You could request to unlock it explaining you're not actually a robot. 

I'm fairly certain I'm not actually a robot, so hopefully I can access it again soon. :)

I received my rejection letter from USC a week ago. I'm still waiting on UPenn but that probably won't be much better news, so I need to start thinking about my profile for next year!

59 minutes ago, Swans said:

I'm fairly certain I'm not actually a robot, so hopefully I can access it again soon. :)

I received my rejection letter from USC a week ago. I'm still waiting on UPenn but that probably won't be much better news, so I need to start thinking about my profile for next year!

Bummer did you apply to just those two schools? Are you based in the UK?

1 hour ago, gradswag said:

I have not contacted any of the schools that I haven't heard from, but I would think that a polite email to the director of graduate studies inquiring about the status of your application, or an approximate date when you might hear about your application would be appropriate! Some schools have a graduate advisor that serves as a point of contact for inquiries of that sort, so it might feel a little less daunting to reach out to them first :)

Yeah the only one i really care about is Oklahoma. Have you heard anything from them yet?

12 minutes ago, kaoticfen said:

Yeah the only one i really care about is Oklahoma. Have you heard anything from them yet?

Not yet! It is sort of a grab bag when they might get back to us, too...their application deadline was only Feb1. I think I saw a few admits in the middle of february from the last few years, but I would almost not expect anything until march!

3 hours ago, Swans said:

Fingers crossed for UPENN for you. It should be any day now (or even any hour...). 

3 hours ago, kaoticfen said:

I didn't receive admission to the program until March in 2013 so hang in there.

I haven't heard about offers being sent out yet, but I've been super busy the last month so I'm not as in the loop as I would normally be.

9 hours ago, kaoticfen said:

I had my interview with USC over a month ago. International students were asked to submit applications a month earlier than domestic applicants, so it's been a long wait for me! Hoping to hear something back next week since it would have been 6 weeks since the domestic application deadline and based on previous years' results release.

10 hours ago, kaoticfen said:

Bummer did you apply to just those two schools? Are you based in the UK?

Yes to both, being international makes the funding harder as well which is why I focused on those two first (and the fit seemed good in particularly USC). I'll expand my options now though.

14 hours ago, lyrehc said:

I didn't receive admission to the program until March in 2013 so hang in there.

I haven't heard about offers being sent out yet, but I've been super busy the last month so I'm not as in the loop as I would normally be.

Okay! The difficult part is waiting of course. Do they interview students there for the PhD or is it an outright admit? This whole admissions cycle has been interesting how each school responds with offers, funding and rejections

7 hours ago, Swans said:

Yes to both, being international makes the funding harder as well which is why I focused on those two first (and the fit seemed good in particularly USC). I'll expand my options now though.

Yeah international makes it difficult but not impossible. More than half of my cohort in my MA program at MSU were international students and most had funding opportunities (usually the ones who did had good GRE/TOEFL scores) If i was not successful this iteration i was hoping to apply to LSE PhD in media and communications as I've always welcomed the opportunity to study abroad. Well hopefully you'll hear good news from UPenn and you wont have to worry about next year =)

18 minutes ago, comm2016 said:

worried about Penn... my last hope... got rejected from USC & Stanford...

or I'll go to Cornell... :(

Cornell is a good school! I hope Penn State gets back to you soon

Soooooooo I just heard from UGA. I got in! No assistantship, though. So I'll have to explore other options for funding. I *really* need funding, even it's just PT teaching to cover tuition and living expenses.

35 minutes ago, cannedheat said:

Soooooooo I just heard from UGA. I got in! No assistantship, though. So I'll have to explore other options for funding. I *really* need funding, even it's just PT teaching to cover tuition and living expenses.

Happy that you got into Georgia. Sad that you didn't get funding. Schools have an ethical obligation to fund students, so it's terrible that they're not extending you that kind of offer. 

24 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

SO NC State has officially decided NOT to fund you? 

Not through an assistantship, no. I can pursue some other options, I'm sure. But all things considered, I'll just as soon go to ASU since I won't have to relocate and I know from my friends there that they try to find solutions to fund every student. 

Just now, cannedheat said:

Not through an assistantship, no. I can pursue some other options, I'm sure. But all things considered, I'll just as soon go to ASU since I won't have to relocate and I know from my friends there that they try to find solutions to fund every student. 

I can't believe they yanked you around for two years. Shame on them. I don't know the quality of your application or you as a research, but I do know that there are a ton of duds in communication studies. At the very least, your passion for pursuing this for TWO YEARS IN A ROW should communicated to them your deservingness. I'm sorry that they did that to you! *Gets out wallet and gives you a $5 bill to get yourself a treat at the gas station*

1 minute ago, cannedheat said:

Keep in mind, this is the second year NC State has done this. 

Kind of a shitty feeling that 3 schools are saying "Hey, we like you enough to teach you, but not enough to fund you like we fund everyone else." I suspect it's because I don't have any teaching experience as the sole teacher.

5 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

I can't believe they yanked you around for two years. Shame on them. I don't know the quality of your application or you as a research, but I do know that there are a ton of duds in communication studies. At the very least, your passion for pursuing this for TWO YEARS IN A ROW should communicated to them your deservingness. I'm sorry that they did that to you! *Gets out wallet and gives you a $5 bill to get yourself a treat at the gas station*

Thank you. I appreciate it.

I was so hopeful that we'd learn about the University of Pennsylvania today...but now I'm doubting that. 

Blah, I'm certain that NYU's MCC is a bust for me...and I just want UPENN to return their results so I can figure out my life lol.