Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Just now, maktoob101 said:

Can anyone claim that NYU interview? Was it from the admission team or POI?

I bet you money that was fake. Anneliese van der Pol is Chelsea from That's So Raven! 

If someone got into MCC with that as their research interest, then none of us need to be apart of that program! (Also, I would def. want to read their book lol). 

tumblr_lzc7koRZpu1rn1594o1_400.gif

25 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

I bet you money that was fake. Anneliese van der Pol is Chelsea from That's So Raven! 

If someone got into MCC with that as their research interest, then none of us need to be apart of that program! (Also, I would def. want to read their book lol). 

That relieved me a lot. Not a good idea to troll the result page! :(

1 hour ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

LOL who does that?! 

16 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Fans of Anneliese van der Pol, duh. I hear she's making a comeback (or maybe I just want That's So Raven to return to television...). 

I meant troll the results page, but in all honesty, I would for love that's so raven to come back on tv....

tumblr_n2j43g1Kz91t674g4o1_500.gif

Edited by gradswag

On 2016년 2월 5일 at 11:48 PM, kaoticfen said:

So I have a couple: Health Communication, Persuasion, and Computer mediated Communication. I echo that sentiment. Everyone i talked to there was very welcoming and seemed to have a vested interest in what i wanted to do in regards to research. Good luck on applying there! from the look of your signature though it looks like you might have a difficult time deciding =) I've only been accepted to MSU but it was my first choice anyways so that's good =)

I've been catching up with this forum just today and late congrats for your MSU acceptance! I interviewed with MSU on like... Jan. 26 and am still waiting for the result confirmation.. kinda frustrated since I just got a rejection letter from USC :( Hope all things will be well in the end!

Greetings everybody!

I've been reading this forum for a while, but have not added anything to the conversation until now.

I've been slow to jump into the conversation on this forum as my work is mainly in the STS area, but I've applied to several Communications Studies/Media Studies PhD programs at schools where those programs have some sort of STS emphasis.

I applied to the following programs: Cornell (STS), UPenn (HSS) [invited for an interview], NYU (MCC), RPI (STS)[accepted], University of Michigan (Comm/STS), UCSD (Comm/Science Studies), UBC (History/STS), University of Toronto (IHPST). I am currently finishing up my MA from NYU (MCC).

For those waiting to hear back from NYU (MCC) I can tell you that the program does send out interview invitations; however, I do not believe it has done so as of yet. I'm under the impression that MCC makes its decisions very late (as in April).

Has anybody heard anything from UCSD or U Michigan?

Congratulations to everybody who has been accepted, and good luck to everybody!

6 minutes ago, A Librarian said:

Greetings everybody!

I've been reading this forum for a while, but have not added anything to the conversation until now.

I've been slow to jump into the conversation on this forum as my work is mainly in the STS area, but I've applied to several Communications Studies/Media Studies PhD programs at schools where those programs have some sort of STS emphasis.

I applied to the following programs: Cornell (STS), UPenn (HSS) [invited for an interview], NYU (MCC), RPI (STS)[accepted], University of Michigan (Comm/STS), UCSD (Comm/Science Studies), UBC (History/STS), University of Toronto (IHPST). I am currently finishing up my MA from NYU (MCC).

For those waiting to hear back from NYU (MCC) I can tell you that the program does send out interview invitations; however, I do not believe it has done so as of yet. I'm under the impression that MCC makes its decisions very late (as in April).

Has anybody heard anything from UCSD or U Michigan?

Congratulations to everybody who has been accepted, and good luck to everybody!

According to the results page, it seems like UCSD and U Michigan haven't sent out any notifications as of yet; you may want to scroll through previous years to see when they typically send out notifications (although it seems like this varies wildly from year to year for each program). Congrats on your acceptance, and hopefully you can stay strong during the waiting game.

Thanks @Cat_Robutt!

I find that I always approach the results page with a couple of grains of salt. Especially when it comes to information from previous years, sometimes the date ranges are all over the place.

Hopefully we can all stay strong during the waiting game.

Checking my e-mail has become an activity that fills me with a horrible mixture of excitement and dread.

20 minutes ago, A Librarian said:

Checking my e-mail has become an activity that fills me with a horrible mixture of excitement and dread.

Yes....

What's even worse is that I know that checking it won't make the email appear any faster. ANNNNNNDDDDD...checking the online portals won't either. Hell, I keep checking the portals like some info is going to pop up. With the exception of one school during my masters, I have never learned about admissions via the portal; everyone calls/emails prior to updating the online system (of course, that's not always true...but still...). 

It'll be over soon :-) 

1 hour ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Should we all jump on an academia.edu follow train? Or are we trying to remain anonymous? 

:-) 

JUST SAYING THAT I WOULD LIKE MORE FOLLOWERS...

Not that I have anything on there...but yeah absolutely CLICK ME

Edited by gradswag

5 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Should we all jump on an academia.edu follow train? Or are we trying to remain anonymous? 

:-) 

JUST SAYING THAT I WOULD LIKE MORE FOLLOWERS...

Oh geez I feel so irrelevant in not having an account.....is it worth going through the process?

6 hours ago, A Librarian said:

Thanks @Cat_Robutt!

I find that I always approach the results page with a couple of grains of salt. Especially when it comes to information from previous years, sometimes the date ranges are all over the place.

Hopefully we can all stay strong during the waiting game.

@A Librarian For some reason my brain tends to think that checking my email with magically make a letter appear! It is totally, completely irrational, and yet I find myself casually checking it like, 50 times every day.

7 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Yes....

What's even worse is that I know that checking it won't make the email appear any faster. ANNNNNNDDDDD...checking the online portals won't either. Hell, I keep checking the portals like some info is going to pop up. With the exception of one school during my masters, I have never learned about admissions via the portal; everyone calls/emails prior to updating the online system (of course, that's not always true...but still...). 

It'll be over soon :-) 

Do they work over the weekend?

Just now, smw0805 said:

Do they work over the weekend?

The portals? I have no idea. I haven't been notified on the weekend for any of my MA/PHD programs. They've all come on Monday or Friday afternoons. Oh, with the exception of USC...that came at 6:30 AM on a Monday (which is weird...because I am in NY and that means it CA the system updated at 3:30 AM). 

It could have something to do with the email servers, as well. In my office, if the server gets bogged down, it can take a few hours (or days depending on the issue) for our outlook system to start sending and receiving emails again. 

Luckily, I can't remember any of my PINs or passwords unless I'm on my home computer where I have them saved so I can't check my applications routinely. I just refresh my emails 100x a day...

Just now, cannedheat said:

It could have something to do with the email servers, as well. In my office, if the server gets bogged down, it can take a few hours (or days depending on the issue) for our outlook system to start sending and receiving emails again. 

Luckily, I can't remember any of my PINs or passwords unless I'm on my home computer where I have them saved so I can't check my applications routinely. I just refresh my emails 100x a day...

We're all going to have awful arthritis one day. 

21 hours ago, JWRoyceChoi said:

I've been catching up with this forum just today and late congrats for your MSU acceptance! I interviewed with MSU on like... Jan. 26 and am still waiting for the result confirmation.. kinda frustrated since I just got a rejection letter from USC :( Hope all things will be well in the end!

Hang in there! If you got an interview that's a good sign as it means you were a strong candidate. How did your interview go? I interviewed with Dr. Joshua Introne and Dr. Emily Rader and I had worked with neither nor specified either as someone I'd like to work with in my Academic statement. I felt immediately at a disadvantage since i knew almost nothing about them. So i just stuck with what i knew and tried to fill in the blanks for information that wasn't necessarily on my application. Things like my software developer experience and my own research experience (my first study was almost completely supported almost none of my theoretical findings!) but I think the most important thing i shared that wasn't on my statements was that i had left after completing my MA coursework so my wife could receive medical treatment she needed. I had to move to CA and completed my MA thesis remotely (I don't recommend that at all). I feel like that last bit of information humanized me a bit and made me someone they could relate too as we all have medical/familial/personal issues.  In the end i could barely tell how i did.

As a sign of encouragement, I had a friend who didn't get an interview and was accepted (and secured funding) as late as April!

11 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

Oh geez I feel so irrelevant in not having an account.....is it worth going through the process?

@A Librarian For some reason my brain tends to think that checking my email with magically make a letter appear! It is totally, completely irrational, and yet I find myself casually checking it like, 50 times every day.

Oh man I missed a bunch over the weekend. Is everyone signing up for one? I guess I should hop on the bandwagon since my thesis advisor is on there. Here's mine

Utah offered me admissions (w/ a 27K fellowship nomination). 

At a loss for words about what I should do...

I do know that I can't hold on to all four of my acceptances right now (USC v. Boulder v. UNC v. Utah). 

Unless someone has access to a time tuner, then I could be in four places at once and be ayyyyyeeeee okayyyy.

11 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

I do know that I can't hold on to all four of my acceptances right now (USC v. Boulder v. UNC v. Utah). 

Unless someone has access to a time tuner, then I could be in four places at once and be ayyyyyeeeee okayyyy.

Way to go! I'm so excited for you!

16 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Congrats! that's great news. All of those programs are great and assuming the fit is good with all four then i think you have a real tough choice on your hands.