Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

27 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

I was so hopeful that we'd learn about the University of Pennsylvania today...but now I'm doubting that. 

Blah, I'm certain that NYU's MCC is a bust for me...and I just want UPENN to return their results so I can figure out my life lol. 

*HUGS*

This is the worst part. All of the unknown.

3 hours ago, cannedheat said:

Cornell is a good school! I hope Penn State gets back to you soon

I mean Upenn... just found that Comm Dept. @Cornell is affiliated to College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, which is a SUNY college... getting confused

21 minutes ago, comm2016 said:

I mean Upenn... just found that Comm Dept. @Cornell is affiliated to College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, which is a SUNY college... getting confused

No, it's a college in Cornell. A lot of private schools in NY have SUNY affiliations. Cornell is an ivy league, it is impressive and amazing and a really great program. 

2 minutes ago, gradswag said:

No, it's a college in Cornell. A lot of private schools in NY have SUNY affiliations. Cornell is an ivy league, it is impressive and amazing and a really great program. 

I should also clarify and say that all this means is that the state gives significant funding to that college in Cornell. However, it is not a SUNY school and the SUNY system has little to no control over the goings on of the college. It is called a "Statutory College". Syracuse is affiliated with SUNY ESF, Stony Brook University has a SUNY medical school. This is a normal thing in NY...SUNY is a really great university system, regardless. 

Keep in mind, this is the second year NC State has done this. 

Kind of a shitty feeling that 3 schools are saying "Hey, we like you enough to teach you, but not enough to fund you like we fund everyone else." I suspect it's because I don't have any teaching experience as the sole teacher.

Hmmmm that is curious. Usually schools take notice of applicants they didnt admit the previous year and make an effort the second year. I agree that @the_queer_ecologist go and do amazing things for free. Quick question though did they say they haven't given you funding? cause Im still waiting on my funding letter as they make the funding decisions at a later date.

Hi @kaoticfen glad that I saw someone who also got admitted into MSU as well. I received my admission last week from Media and Information Studies PhD, and was told that the funding decision will be made on March. Do you have any idea how likely we will be funded?

6 minutes ago, meibanfa said:

Hi @kaoticfen glad that I saw someone who also got admitted into MSU as well. I received my admission last week from Media and Information Studies PhD, and was told that the funding decision will be made on March. Do you have any idea how likely we will be funded?

If you look at the  http://cas.msu.edu/misphd/ They have a link that has program statistics http://grad.msu.edu/apply/PHDDataReporting/PhD%20Data%20-%20Communication%20Arts%20and%20Sciences%20Media%20and%20Information%20Studies%202012%20cohort.pdf  It basically says that 93% of PhD students have funding. That being said I have several friends who are there now who are all fully funded and im not sure i know anyone there that was not funded. Are you going to the visitation weekend?

1 minute ago, kaoticfen said:

If you look at the  http://cas.msu.edu/misphd/ They have a link that has program statistics http://grad.msu.edu/apply/PHDDataReporting/PhD%20Data%20-%20Communication%20Arts%20and%20Sciences%20Media%20and%20Information%20Studies%202012%20cohort.pdf  It basically says that 93% of PhD students have funding. That being said I have several friends who are there now who are all fully funded and im not sure i know anyone there that was not funded. Are you going to the visitation weekend?

Thank you very much for your information!

Yes, I will go to the visiting weekend. Hope I can see you then :)

52 minutes ago, kaoticfen said:

Hmmmm that is curious. Usually schools take notice of applicants they didnt admit the previous year and make an effort the second year. I agree that @the_queer_ecologist go and do amazing things for free. Quick question though did they say they haven't given you funding? cause Im still waiting on my funding letter as they make the funding decisions at a later date.

What they say is they do not have an assistantship to offer as of yet. There are other options, like as ASU, they have part time internships that come with tuition waivers and there's always the option of part time teaching (adjuncting) and that can come with a tuition waiver. At NC State last year, when I asked, I didn't get any other options so I deferred enrollment to there instead. The director said I'd be reconsidered next year for funding.

The problem I run into is that even if I take on a PT adjunct position that comes with a waiver the first year, what happens the following year? How do I get any security that I'll be able to continue my education. I can't just uproot my life and relocate to another state without some sort of guarantee that I'll be able to continue my degree each year.

What they say is they do not have an assistantship to offer as of yet. There are other options, like as ASU, they have part time internships that come with tuition waivers and there's always the option of part time teaching (adjuncting) and that can come with a tuition waiver. At NC State last year, when I asked, I didn't get any other options so I deferred enrollment to there instead. The director said I'd be reconsidered next year for funding.

The problem I run into is that even if I take on a PT adjunct position that comes with a waiver the first year, what happens the following year? How do I get any security that I'll be able to continue my education. I can't just uproot my life and relocate to another state without some sort of guarantee that I'll be able to continue my degree each year.

Historically, ASU has produced a number of impactful scholars (more than NC State). I think you're going to kick ass at ASU!!!

17 hours ago, cannedheat said:

I see what you mean. I think the idea would be that you move up the pecking order and they would secure funding for you first before the next incoming class. That is the logic that i've heard used before. Its a difficult decision leaving without a guaranteed funding but where does NC State rank on your list of schools? My best friend a few years ago faced a similar decision where he was accepted with full funding to a MA program at the Claremont Graduate School but was also accepted to Yale with 1/3 scholarship. He ultimately chose Yale as the job prospect post graduation was much better. I know for me I consult the NCA doctoral program guide like its a COMM bible. I don't think I've seen anyone post on it so i'll share the link here http://www.natcom.org/DoctoralProgramGuide/ For me it has become essential on where to apply.

I think from what i can tell @cannedheat , you are a person of great character as it really takes fortitude and determination to apply two years in a row, improve your gre scores, and get accepted to more schools than the previous year. To me that is the quality that is required to complete a PhD program and i think if you did go to a program that funding was not guaranteed you would be able to secure it someway somehow. Didn't mean to write all of this but just wanted to encourage you and by extension everyone else in similar positions =)

1 hour ago, kaoticfen said:

I see what you mean. I think the idea would be that you move up the pecking order and they would secure funding for you first before the next incoming class. That is the logic that i've heard used before. Its a difficult decision leaving without a guaranteed funding but where does NC State rank on your list of schools? My best friend a few years ago faced a similar decision where he was accepted with full funding to a MA program at the Claremont Graduate School but was also accepted to Yale with 1/3 scholarship. He ultimately chose Yale as the job prospect post graduation was much better. I know for me I consult the NCA doctoral program guide like its a COMM bible. I don't think I've seen anyone post on it so i'll share the link here http://www.natcom.org/DoctoralProgramGuide/ For me it has become essential on where to apply.

I think from what i can tell @cannedheat , you are a person of great character as it really takes fortitude and determination to apply two years in a row, improve your gre scores, and get accepted to more schools than the previous year. To me that is the quality that is required to complete a PhD program and i think if you did go to a program that funding was not guaranteed you would be able to secure it someway somehow. Didn't mean to write all of this but just wanted to encourage you and by extension everyone else in similar positions =)

I echo this. Echo. Echo. Echo. and then Echo some more.

Hey everyone––this is a bit tangential to the current conversation, but might be something we could do for each other: if comfortable, once we decide where to ultimately go, it would be interesting to keep a bit of a tally for others on this thread who are still deciding/waitlisted so we can better plan what will happen. This process can be opaque, especially for waitlisted prospectives and those with multiple offers, so if we can help each other out by providing information, we would probably find out much faster than waiting to hear from the adcomm of various programs. 

I'm already so stressed out by this shebang and it's only halfway through February! I don't know what I would do without the kindness of other grad cafe members. :lol:

On 2/12/2016 at 9:40 AM, kaoticfen said:

Okay! The difficult part is waiting of course. Do they interview students there for the PhD or is it an outright admit? This whole admissions cycle has been interesting how each school responds with offers, funding and rejections

Yeah international makes it difficult but not impossible. More than half of my cohort in my MA program at MSU were international students and most had funding opportunities (usually the ones who did had good GRE/TOEFL scores) If i was not successful this iteration i was hoping to apply to LSE PhD in media and communications as I've always welcomed the opportunity to study abroad. Well hopefully you'll hear good news from UPenn and you wont have to worry about next year =)

They don't interview.

2 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

Hey everyone––this is a bit tangential to the current conversation, but might be something we could do for each other: if comfortable, once we decide where to ultimately go, it would be interesting to keep a bit of a tally for others on this thread who are still deciding/waitlisted so we can better plan what will happen. This process can be opaque, especially for waitlisted prospectives and those with multiple offers, so if we can help each other out by providing information, we would probably find out much faster than waiting to hear from the adcomm of various programs. 

I'm already so stressed out by this shebang and it's only halfway through February! I don't know what I would do without the kindness of other grad cafe members. :lol:

I was thinking about making an acceptance thread where we add each school we were admitted to with the date of admission in a spread sheet. (Like this for example) And then making a final decision post similar to that on this thread :)

@gradswag that is a FANTASTIC idea! If it's all right with you, I will go ahead and make a new thread with the instructions as stated in the Student Doctor post for the places we have been admitted––perhaps we can change the color of our final decisions to green once we decide?

1 hour ago, Cat_Robutt said:

@gradswag that is a FANTASTIC idea! If it's all right with you, I will go ahead and make a new thread with the instructions as stated in the Student Doctor post for the places we have been admitted––perhaps we can change the color of our final decisions to green once we decide?

YAS! I love that idea!

2 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

It's a new thread! On the main Communication forum it should show up. You're given credit, of course, as this is academia.

Just added mine! It'll be interesting to see the list as it gets filled out.

3 hours ago, kaoticfen said:

Just added mine! It'll be interesting to see the list as it gets filled out.

Thanks! It will be...there's quite a contingent of comm folks on here, so among us there's sure to be a variety of programs.

Now, if we had a rejection list, I'd be able to add so many more school names at this point!

While we wait for UPenn (and for me to seal the deal that I'm going to have to up my game this year), my academia.edu got unblocked (yay!) so I've followed the people who posted theirs here. Here's mine. :)

Still very empty but the mission for this year is to flesh some of the current paper ideas out and hopefully have it a bit more populated for the next round.