Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

6 minutes ago, Swans said:

While we wait for UPenn (and for me to seal the deal that I'm going to have to up my game this year), my academia.edu got unblocked (yay!) so I've followed the people who posted theirs here. Here's mine. :)

Still very empty but the mission for this year is to flesh some of the current paper ideas out and hopefully have it a bit more populated for the next round.  

Love your interest in museums! I'm currently working on my thesis (like literally working on it...I'm oscillating between grad cafe and the thesis). It's about the American Museum of Natural History and the ways in which tour guides do/don't discuss the Holocene Extinction. I'll have to read your stuff!

1 minute ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Love your interest in museums! I'm currently working on my thesis (like literally working on it...I'm oscillating between grad cafe and the thesis). It's about the American Museum of Natural History and the ways in which tour guides do/don't discuss the Holocene Extinction. I'll have to read your stuff!

Oh awesome, keep me posted on that. Would be interested to read it when it's finished!

Here's the tea: I don't want to be too poor during doctoral studies. I'm living a really comfortable life at Syracuse--good apartment and conference funding galore.

My decision is down to UNC Chapel Hill versus University of Colorado Boulder. Without a shadow of a doubt, UNC's reputation holds more clout (both as an institution and department). Their stipend, however, isn't that great and the department does not offer conference funding. Boulder, though far from trash, is more of a rising star; their faculty even admit their recent hires in rhetorical studies are generating a lot of interest. Their stipend is much more livable (in terms of comparing cost of living in Chapel Hill to Boulder).

Such a tough decision--more money with an great and "rising" reputation or scraps for reputation. 

blarg. 

1 minute ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

yasbitch5.gif

Thank you!!! This meme is everything!!!!!!!!

And UNC and Boulder are great programs, I would choose Boulder since they are offering more money and its a rising program! You could go there and make a name for yourself!!!

9 minutes ago, TWD2016 said:

Thank you!!! This meme is everything!!!!!!!!

And UNC and Boulder are great programs, I would choose Boulder since they are offering more money and its a rising program! You could go there and make a name for yourself!!!

:-) True! Still a very hard choice because I want to work with the faculty at both institutions. As it stands, the person I want to work with at Boulder is a UNC graduate...so it's like an endless loop. Great problem to have, though!

FYI, Boulder is a lot more expensive than COLA reflect. I can't answer for UNC's COLA, but I know someone who lives in the area (not a PhD student) and they were shocked by how much what they thought they would have to spend does not compare to what they do have after expenses.

9 minutes ago, lyrehc said:

FYI, Boulder is a lot more expensive than COLA reflect. I can't answer for UNC's COLA, but I know someone who lives in the area (not a PhD student) and they were shocked by how much what they thought they would have to spend does not compare to what they do have after expenses.

I'm really not reading cost of living calculators or anything. I just went and priced apartments and gas and everything separately (obviously, based off current charts and estimates...whatever). For the stipend, it's definitely more fruitful than UNC. 

:) *smiling but crying*

Waitlisted at Pittsburgh pending funding. The email says they only accept students they can fund and they are hoping to secure funding for me soon. :) Sounds good to me!!

I talked to my advisor and she doesn't think I should go to ASU, which she's probably right. Very few scholars do the kind of work I'd like to do at ASU, even Hess and Brouwer are a hard fit. She said she'd contact the adcomm at UGA and plead my case for funding...so I have no idea what's happening there.

I'm hemming and hawing at whether or not to go to the Welcome Weekend at ASU (which is on a Thurs and Fri, not really a weekend) if I'm thinking that I won't accept their offer.

Still waiting on Amherst and UNC. Pretty sure I'm waitlisted at UNC. There's not a lot of historical data on Amherst to suggest when to expect a result.

Congrats @cannedheat ! That's awesome. It's also great that your advisor is going to bat for you with UGA. Hopefully she will have some sway.

It's hard to say about visit days, but I think if there is even a slight chance that you might attend, you should give it a chance if you are available. You won't be left wondering "what if". Visit days were essential to MA program decision. I can't wait to attend my first one next weekend!  

3 hours ago, cannedheat said:

I'm hemming and hawing at whether or not to go to the Welcome Weekend at ASU (which is on a Thurs and Fri, not really a weekend) if I'm thinking that I won't accept their offer.

Def. visit ASU...especially if you're nearby and it doesn't take a chunk out of your life. Who do you want to work with at UGA? 

29 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Def. visit ASU...especially if you're nearby and it doesn't take a chunk out of your life. Who do you want to work with at UGA? 

There a several, but the main two would be Kelly Happe and Celeste Condit. My advisor knows Celeste so we'll see.

As far as ASU, my younger brother is getting married on Friday at a venue that's 2.5 hours without traffic outside of town at 4PM. I'd have to leave no later than 1 from the event and it doesn't even start til 11 IRCC. I'll be leaving work early on Thursday if I go, as well. Decisions, decisions.

1 hour ago, cannedheat said:

There a several, but the main two would be Kelly Happe and Celeste Condit. My advisor knows Celeste so we'll see.

As far as ASU, my younger brother is getting married on Friday at a venue that's 2.5 hours without traffic outside of town at 4PM. I'd have to leave no later than 1 from the event and it doesn't even start til 11 IRCC. I'll be leaving work early on Thursday if I go, as well. Decisions, decisions.

Ask your brother if he'd change his wedding to a different day. Grad school > everything else in the world (lol...totes don't believe that...buttttttt........)

Just now, cotes_du_groan said:

Has anyone called UPenn yet to see if they would tell us the DAY decisions will come out...? Anyone... Anyone...?

So tempted to do so, but I keep telling myself, "It'll come by the end of this week..."

I'm sitting in my red recliner fuming about the delay. I'm 99.9% confident I'll be rejected. I just want...scratch that...need to know so I can move on with life lol

4 minutes ago, cotes_du_groan said:

Has anyone called UPenn yet to see if they would tell us the DAY decisions will come out...? Anyone... Anyone...?

Have you emailed?

I've had good results with just sending a quick email. I usually get either an acceptance (lol!) or a nice email telling me the status of the adcomm decisions.

3 hours ago, cannedheat said:

Have you emailed?

I've had good results with just sending a quick email. I usually get either an acceptance (lol!) or a nice email telling me the status of the adcomm decisions.

Yeah i've wanted to know but I kinda want to live in ignorance =)

57 minutes ago, cotes_du_groan said:

I am always so afraid they will think I am annoying then reject me so that they don't need to deal with me for the next 5-7 years... Am I the only one this paranoid?

Yeah maybe a little paranoid but this whole process is crazy. =)  I don't think they get annoyed cause they get hundreds of emails a day unless you are emailing them everyday that is.