Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

1 hour ago, A Librarian said:

I'm pretty sure that the acceptances and wait list offers are out for NYU (assuming you're talking about MCC).

@cikkatikkaskwarr and @TWD2016 it sounds like you both got into Michigan! Congratulations! I hope to meet you in person during the welcome weekend!

Congrats to you as well and I look forward to meeting you there @A Librarian !

Congratulations @cikkatikkaskwarr! Their SAC program is really great. If I go there I might try to get a graduate certificate in the SAC Department.

7 hours ago, cannedheat said:

On the merits of the program alone, I'd prefer Georgia. I haven't received funding anywhere. The best Georgia has offered to do is apply for an out-of-state tuition waiver for me so that I can have in-state tuition should I get approved. I'm waitlisted at Pittsburgh and UMass, but I'd prefer either of those programs over Georgia.

If I get into Pittsburgh, it'll come with funding, I know that for sure. Whether or not I get in is another matter. My advisor says it's not about me and my abilities at this point, but critical rhetorical inquiry does not produce grant monies so no one who studies is likely to get funding. I dunno if that's true, but it seems to be the case. 

I'm pregnant and due in June, so no funding means no school. I can't work part time/full time and go to school and take care of my family. So I'm probably done with education if none of my acceptances find a way to fund me. I'm more ok with it than I thought I would be.

I'm sure you will get good news soon :)  don't give up yet!

Guest Grad19204
4 hours ago, TWD2016 said:

Congrats to you as well and I look forward to meeting you there @A Librarian !

Congratulations @cikkatikkaskwarr! Their SAC program is really great. If I go there I might try to get a graduate certificate in the SAC Department.

Thank you! I love the state school/college town vibe in Ann Arbor. Their students are way more humble than some of the programs I've visited. It's a less competitive atmosphere, and that's really drawing me in. The funding could be better, though...

1 hour ago, cikkatikkaskwarr said:

Thank you! I love the state school/college town vibe in Ann Arbor. Their students are way more humble than some of the programs I've visited. It's a less competitive atmosphere, and that's really drawing me in. The funding could be better, though...

I'm glad to hear this because I was kind of worried what the environment was like.....Sometimes grad students can be really condescending and since UMICH is a top ranked institution... wasn't sure what to expect.....

4 hours ago, cikkatikkaskwarr said:

3 hours ago, TWD2016 said:

I'm glad to hear this because I was kind of worried what the environment was like.....Sometimes grad students can be really condescending and since UMICH is a top ranked institution... wasn't sure what to expect.....

I am also admitted to UMICH. I'm still waiting for couple of schools but I'm leaning toward accepting their offer. But I've never been to midwest in my life so no idea what the school/city atmospheres are like. If anybody is familiar with Michigan, would appreciate if you share your experience!

7 hours ago, maktoob101 said:

I am also admitted to UMICH. I'm still waiting for couple of schools but I'm leaning toward accepting their offer. But I've never been to midwest in my life so no idea what the school/city atmospheres are like. If anybody is familiar with Michigan, would appreciate if you share your experience!

I did my undergrad at Michigan (and currently live just outside of Ann Arbor). Ann Arbor is really a great city with a good variety of restaurants, bars, local bookstores, etc. It's a pretty white and wealthy area (and people are pretty oblivious to that). It's a quick, straight shot on I-94 to the airport. The library system is phenomenal. The hospital is one of the best in the country. The city is not the best at snow removal. People at UM love being there and love working with other people who are there (it's a collaborative environment for sure), Ann Arbor loves Ann Arbor. There's a strong strain of school/city/state exceptionalism that differentiates Michigan from the rest of the midwest especially, I have found, in the eyes of people outside the state. Traffic is kind of silly in the whole city. Football is a big thing but also a really avoidable thing. It's a beautiful campus.

These are just the first things that came into my mind and I think there are people with more direct experience with the department that can offer a fuller perspective.

8 hours ago, smw0805 said:

Just received acceptance from USC!! YAYY!!

No word on funding though :( Anyone know how long after they let people know about it?

For PhD programs if you get admitted the funding and acceptance are the same at Annenberg as all their PhD students are considered Annenberg fellows. For the MA however, I think the funding is pretty limited.

Hi people!

I have been accepted into University of Minnesota, Twin Cities and waitlisted for UMass Amherst (MA in Communication for both). Though I can see a few people talking about the UMass program, there's apparently no talk over the UMN program. In case anyone is willing, can you please enlighten me about these two programs (not necessarily about their masters, but overall)? I am switching from a completely different field, so it would be great if anyone more familiar could shed some light and help me decide.

Thanks!

Edited by GG

Good luck to all applying for PhD admission fr media/jour/comm. I also applied but as GRE date was Dec 18, missed east coast univ deadlines had to apply west coast.

Applied to UCSD got rejected. Got acceptance at UO (univ of Oregon, Eugene) and university of Florida( media telecommunications program under the advisor I wanted )

Questions I need your guidance on

1) anyone have any recommendations on UO vs UF?

PLEASE DO LET ME KNOW THE SWOT/Pros and cons of each

2) how does one turn down one univ?? I am extremely grateful to both as both have offered funding ...

3)anyone on this forum at UO /UF in the Phd media /comm program??

any ideas/guidance/suggestions would be great -- thanks in advance!

sami.

I lived in Oregon for several years (my undergraduate is from Linfield College and my husband was a grad student in COMM at Oregon State).

U of O is in one of three uber-liberal areas of Oregon. The rest of the state is extremely conservative. Graduate students are part of a union and their health care plan back in the early 2000s was some of the best in the entire nation. They have a nice library system, and Eugene is only an hour from Florence which is a very nice Oregon beach community - I love the Pacific Ocean and its rugged terrain. In Oregon you don't usually swim in the ocean but you'll get great seafood and the beach is a lot of fun. 

I've heard good things about the U of O faculty but don't know any specifics. The down side for me is that Oregon public schools are on the quarter system. This means you only have 10-11 weeks to get into a class, so the pace is faster and often you'll just start sinking your teeth into a course when it ends. On the other hand, if you have a class you hate you'll be done with it sooner than on the semester system.

Oregon is in a rain shadow. You get rain most of the fall/winter - it's not usually heavy and many people refer to "wet rain" or "dry rain." Frequently the rain is enough to use windshield wipers but even standing in it you won't be soaked through for a while. Summers are gorgeous - clear, beautiful. 

The best thing for me about the Oregon geography is that I could within an hour be in the mountains, be at the ocean, be at a lake, be in a city, be in a sleepy community.

Florida - 

You also have ocean - it's a little further away to go to a developed area and the beaches are more conducive to sunbathing/swimming so they are a lot more crowded. You're 2 hours from Disney.

Climate is warmer in the fall/winter than Oregon and overall more temperate.

The school is the 8th largest university in the US. It is HUGE. It is also on the semester system, which allows you to spend more time in a class. You were admitted with the advisor you want.

Recommendations - 

Ultimately, what appeals to you more? Are there faculty in OR you want to work with? Would you prefer the quarter system or the semester system? Since you are admitted to study under a faculty you want to study with in FL, I'd be inclined to lean that way, but at the same time I wanted to study with someone before coming to Oklahoma and my entire focus changed so that he is not even on my committee. That's not uncommon. 

If I were picking based on climate I would go with Oregon. But you can live anywhere for the length of time you are in a graduate program because you know that eventually you'll graduate. 

Sit down and write the pros and cons of the academic program as they apply to you. Then go with the one you feel fits you better.

Thanks a ton for your inputs @lyrehc, will try doing that again and hope to be able to take a decision soon.

I saw a few others received acceptances at UO on this forum but none for Florida hence some apprehension but hoping for the  best.

On 27/02/2016 at 2:00 AM, Cat_Robutt said:

@smw0805 It's kinda funny how the places you've been admitted already (as well as where you're waiting to hear back from) have drastically different climates! What kinds of factors are you considering as you make your decisions? 

@Cat_Robutt it's a bit of a dilemma, really. I was in the US last year for 2 months. I didn't enjoy being in LA, however, USC has the better program (as well as being a part of the Annenberg). Whereas I loved NY and could see myself living there, but the programs there don't seem of the same calibre as USC's. But being NY and the centre of Communications, I'm wondering if that makes up for it? What are your thoughts?

Edited by smw0805

On 2016. 2. 25. at 0:20 AM, practical cat said:

I did my undergrad at Michigan (and currently live just outside of Ann Arbor). Ann Arbor is really a great city with a good variety of restaurants, bars, local bookstores, etc. It's a pretty white and wealthy area (and people are pretty oblivious to that). It's a quick, straight shot on I-94 to the airport. The library system is phenomenal. The hospital is one of the best in the country. The city is not the best at snow removal. People at UM love being there and love working with other people who are there (it's a collaborative environment for sure), Ann Arbor loves Ann Arbor. There's a strong strain of school/city/state exceptionalism that differentiates Michigan from the rest of the midwest especially, I have found, in the eyes of people outside the state. Traffic is kind of silly in the whole city. Football is a big thing but also a really avoidable thing. It's a beautiful campus.

These are just the first things that came into my mind and I think there are people with more direct experience with the department that can offer a fuller perspective.

Wow thanks for the info! It's really good to know that people who live there love their city. Still waiting for Northwestern though. Didn't you attend their interview weekend last week? How was it?

13 hours ago, maktoob101 said:

Wow thanks for the info! It's really good to know that people who live there love their city. Still waiting for Northwestern though. Didn't you attend their interview weekend last week? How was it?

Yeah! It was good, I'll share what I said in a PM yesterday:

It's been a loooooooong weekend. Started off Friday morning with interviews with all five of the faculty who were here, a lecture after lunch, tours, dinner with the faculty. Yesterday we had a grad student symposium and a trip to the Lincoln Park zoo then a late night with current students. It definitely felt more like recruitment than interview with slightly higher incentive to be not a monster.

It seems like a really great place.

ETA: feel free to PM with questions if you'd like!

Edited by practical cat

6 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

There are so many factors to consider, and it may be tedious and stressful to consider each one, but I'm sure you want to feel as confident in your choice as possible.

I'll PM you so we don't have our own convo amongst the group thread :)