Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

1 hour ago, smw0805 said:

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd join in the fun! I had an interview with USC Annenberg for an MA last week. The wait is killing me!

UGH! Ain't it just awful?! I submitted my app for USC on October 27.............#TheWait

Did your interview go well? When I applied for MA programs, I was set on Colorado State or Syracuse. I wanted a terminal masters. If I could go back in time, I'd likely have added USC to that list. 

7 hours ago, Swans said:

By the looks of it some schools have notified students late January before, but yes it's probably best not to look until mid-February anyway because it's not a guarantee it'll happen again and it will just stress you out. 

The misery of waiting is half the fun ;)

(I mean, my fingers are def. getting a solid workout due to how many times I check grad cafe per day...hour...minute. Burning an extra 500 calories per day lol). 

On 1/5/2016 at 8:43 AM, cannedheat said:

I have all my applications in now. I submitted my last application on Sunday night to Uni of Pittsburgh. Hopefully this application round will be more fruitful than last year.

I do have a quandary that I posted about it in the applications section of TGC, but I haven't had any responses. Here's the the link: 

I hate to cross post but either that section is just not getting a lot of traffic or no one who has looked has any insight. Does anyone here in the our little corner of TGC have any ideas on how to approach this particular conundrum? 

Ugh, I hate the anxiety that comes with writing the referenced letter of intent. I submitted it today, we'll see what happens. I thought I had another day to get it in on time and I realized it was actually due to the program director today. *Sigh*

I feel so uncertain about my future.

7 minutes ago, cannedheat said:

Ugh, I hate the anxiety that comes with writing the referenced letter of intent. I submitted it today, we'll see what happens. I thought I had another day to get it in on time and I realized it was actually due to the program director today. *Sigh*

I feel so uncertain about my future.

If you felt certain about the future, then academia wouldn't be the place for you. You'd need to be a soothsayer (or something of the sorts). So in my opinion, your uncertainty makes you even more qualified to be a doctoral student! 

10 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

UGH! Ain't it just awful?! I submitted my app for USC on October 27.............#TheWait

Did your interview go well? When I applied for MA programs, I was set on Colorado State or Syracuse. I wanted a terminal masters. If I could go back in time, I'd likely have added USC to that list. 

I think what makes the wait even worse is that I'm applying as an international student. The thought I've picking up everything and moving half way across the road is stressful enough!!

The interview went well, thanks :) I thought they'd ask me questions about me - qualities, strengths, weaknesses etc. Instead they asked me about the industry, which I thought was interesting seeing as my three-quarters of my 4-page SOP discussed the industry. 

What made you pick Colorado State and Syracuse for your MA?

Edited by smw0805

2 minutes ago, smw0805 said:

I think what makes the wait even worse is that I'm applying as an international student. The thought I've picking up everything and moving half way across the road is stressful enough!!

The interview went well, thanks :) I thought they'd ask me questions about me - qualities, strengths, weaknesses etc. Instead they asked me about the industry, which I thought was interesting seeing as my three-quarters of my 4-page SOP discussed the industry. 

What made you pick Colorado State and Syracuse for your MA?

That's great that your interview went well! Did they fly you out? Or was it a phone interview? From what country are you about to make the big move ;) #Optimism. 

If you'd have asked me that question two years ago, I would have said, "I wanted to be with the leading queer studies scholars in rhetoric." In truth, I chose Syracuse because of name recognition and location. Although Syracuse is certainly a power player in communication studies, namely rhetoric, the town turned out to be super disappointing ;) BUT HEY...it was just two years. 

Two...long...years........................

:DFAL:KFDJ

On 2016년 1월 15일 at 9:46 AM, the_queer_ecologist said:

Sorry to break this news to you, but that UNC-Chapel Hill acceptance isn't spam. My boyfriend and I were accepted to UNC-Chapel Hill. They send out notifications before the end of the fall semester. That's not to say that there isn't still hope; I was told that people really do turn down UNC! 

Congratulations! I just got an e-mail from UNC-Chapel Hill asking my Skype name for a 15 min. interview next Tuesday and Wednesday! Excited but also getting super nervous already! Not sure of what I should be prepared for the interview. Hope it turns out well next week.

Just now, JWRoyceChoi said:

Congratulations! I just got an e-mail from UNC-Chapel Hill asking my Skype name for a 15 min. interview next Tuesday and Wednesday! Excited but also getting super nervous already! Not sure of what I should be prepared for the interview. Hope it turns out well next week.

Good luck! Was it from the mass communication department? Or the communication (formerly communication studies) department?

3 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Good luck! Was it from the mass communication department? Or the communication (formerly communication studies) department?

It came from the School of Media and Journalism! (I think the name changed from the School of Journalism & Mass Communication)

1 hour ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

That's great that your interview went well! Did they fly you out? Or was it a phone interview? From what country are you about to make the big move ;) #Optimism. 

If you'd have asked me that question two years ago, I would have said, "I wanted to be with the leading queer studies scholars in rhetoric." In truth, I chose Syracuse because of name recognition and location. Although Syracuse is certainly a power player in communication studies, namely rhetoric, the town turned out to be super disappointing ;) BUT HEY...it was just two years. 

Two...long...years........................

:DFAL:KFDJ

I wish they flew me out! I'm from Australia - so it would have been at least a 20-hour flight for me and $2000 for them to get me to LA ;) I did a video interview. They pre-recorded the questions. I've never heard of schools interviewing that way before. Was definitely strange recording the answers. I wish it could have been a bit more personal to ease the nerves. Nonetheless, still went well. 

I did look at Syracuse, too. Their MA curriculum didn't appeal to me though. Is Syracuse quite quaint? Excuse my lack of knowledge of the States haha. I spent 2 months traveling the US and I still feel like I have so much to learn about it!

9 hours ago, smw0805 said:

I wish they flew me out! I'm from Australia - so it would have been at least a 20-hour flight for me and $2000 for them to get me to LA ;) I did a video interview. They pre-recorded the questions. I've never heard of schools interviewing that way before. Was definitely strange recording the answers. I wish it could have been a bit more personal to ease the nerves. Nonetheless, still went well. 

I did look at Syracuse, too. Their MA curriculum didn't appeal to me though. Is Syracuse quite quaint? Excuse my lack of knowledge of the States haha. I spent 2 months traveling the US and I still feel like I have so much to learn about it!

I received my bachelors in comm and rhetoric from Syracuse, it is a city. But not like a New York City. It is small, surrounded by country, not too much to do off of the hill. It is sort of geared towards undergrad life. If you are about sports, it is a pretty cool place to be. It gets to be SUPER cold/snowy which is annoying and not my style. The campus is gorgeous, the people are awesome! It is for a certain type of person though.

22 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

The misery of waiting is half the fun ;)

(I mean, my fingers are def. getting a solid workout due to how many times I check grad cafe per day...hour...minute. Burning an extra 500 calories per day lol). 

Ha, well hopefully I can look back on it as being fun soon. ;)

27 minutes ago, gradswag said:

I received my bachelors in comm and rhetoric from Syracuse, it is a city. But not like a New York City. It is small, surrounded by country, not too much to do off of the hill. It is sort of geared towards undergrad life. If you are about sports, it is a pretty cool place to be. It gets to be SUPER cold/snowy which is annoying and not my style. The campus is gorgeous, the people are awesome! It is for a certain type of person though.

LOL, we have different opinions about Syracuse (the town). Campus, of course, is stunning. The ivy covered walls are beautiful and the architecture is gorgeous. CRS Is a nice graduate program. BUT GOOD GOD...the actual people who grew up in Syracuse are some of the rudest people I've ever met...and this town is slimy and awful. I'm counting the days until I'm as far away from here. I legitimately don't feel safe in Syracuse! TO EACH THEIR OWN, THOUGH ;) 

38 minutes ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

LOL, we have different opinions about Syracuse (the town). Campus, of course, is stunning. The ivy covered walls are beautiful and the architecture is gorgeous. CRS Is a nice graduate program. BUT GOOD GOD...the actual people who grew up in Syracuse are some of the rudest people I've ever met...and this town is slimy and awful. I'm counting the days until I'm as far away from here. I legitimately don't feel safe in Syracuse! TO EACH THEIR OWN, THOUGH ;) 

HAHA this is very true. Syracuse is also becoming increasingly more dangerous. The student neighborhoods have a gang problem, you can't feel super safe at night walking home. I loved my time at school there, but holy moly, I don't know that I would ever move back there! :D 

Edited by gradswag

2 hours ago, gradswag said:

HAHA this is very true. Syracuse is also becoming increasingly more dangerous. The student neighborhoods have a gang problem, you can't feel super safe at night walking home. I loved my time at school there, but holy moly, I don't know that I would ever move back there! :D 

Oh lord. At my undergraduate institution, crimes (like stabbings and stuff) were not as frequent and were almost always concentrated behind the greek houses. Here, in Syracuse, it seems like I get a new crime update every hour...so I stay in my house and try not to exercise after sundown ha! 

But yeah, I don't really have room to complain! What year did you graduate from CRS? 

While we are all waiting the results can I ask you all something?

Since I think you have more experience about this, I'm an international applicant so I don't know much about what they ask when they do interviews for master's or Phd admissions, so I'd like to ask you all what do they usually look for with the interviews or what should I expect from an interview if they ask me for one? (I'm being optimistic since I still don't have any news about my application lol)  :) 

Edited by Satynne

5 hours ago, Satynne said:

Since I think you have more experience about this, I'm an international applicant so I don't know much about what they ask when they do interviews for master's or Phd admissions, so I'd like to ask you all what do they usually look for with the interviews or what should I expect from an interview if they ask me for one? (I'm being optimistic since I still don't have any news about my application lol)  :) 

As an international applicant myself I can't help you with that, but out of interest, where are you applying from? 

13 hours ago, Swans said:

As an international applicant myself I can't help you with that, but out of interest, where are you applying from? 

Hi Swans!  

I'm applying from Mexico and you?

22 hours ago, Satynne said:

All depends on the school you're applying to. 

6 hours ago, Satynne said:

Hi Swans!  

I'm applying from Mexico and you?

Awesome, I'm from The Netherlands although I live in London at the moment. :)

Fingers crossed!

On 1/16/2016 at 0:59 PM, the_queer_ecologist said:

Oh lord. At my undergraduate institution, crimes (like stabbings and stuff) were not as frequent and were almost always concentrated behind the greek houses. Here, in Syracuse, it seems like I get a new crime update every hour...so I stay in my house and try not to exercise after sundown ha! 

But yeah, I don't really have room to complain! What year did you graduate from CRS? 

I graduated in 2014, :) it seems like a lifetime ago at this point!

9 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Y'all see that Wisconsin's Comm Arts posted? Can anyone claim that interview! (Although I didn't apply there, I'm so obsessed with this process that I care about everyone's wellbeing). 

Hi All! I've been lurking without posting for a while now, so I can chime in on this. I can confirm interviews with the UW Mad Comm Arts Comm Science track. I had an interview with my POI early last week. No word yet! Honestly, I didn't know that interviews were a thing. I was under-prepared for the interview. When I applied to MA programs there was not an interview, just an acceptance email. *sigh*