Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

5 hours ago, Satynne said:

Hi!! 

I'm currently on that state of checking this forum obsessively!  I do have a question, to how many programs did you apply? :) 

I'm different but currently in my 3rd year. I only applied to one school because I knew that was where I was meant to go. 

13 hours ago, Satynne said:

Hi!! 

I'm currently on that state of checking this forum obsessively!  I do have a question, to how many programs did you apply? :) 

Hi Satynne, 

I applied to three programs! I narrowed it down to schools with strong scholars in my area of interest and selected where to apply from there. 

14 hours ago, Satynne said:

Hi!! 

Hi back!

I am also obsessively checking this forum, to the point where I am freaking myself out a bit. I applied to 7 programs, all interpersonal comm, some health comm.

On 1/4/2016 at 10:24 PM, lyrehc said:

If you're admitted (and decide to join us) let me know. I'll be happy to help you navigate the area etc.

Thank you so much for that :)

I religiously followed the results on Grad Cafe when I applied for my M.A. (Fall 2014 season), but never thought to look in the forum! What an exciting find this thread is!

Hey, y'all. I'm Jake. I wanted in on this fun (even though I'm late to the party). 

Looking forward to seeing where everyone gets accepted. I applied to a number of the same places for doctoral studies as y'all.

Edited by the_queer_ecologist

3 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

I religiously followed the results on Grad Cafe when I applied for my M.A. (Fall 2014 season), but never thought to look in the forum! What an exciting find this thread is!

Hey, y'all. I'm Jake. I wanted in on this fun (even though I'm late to the party). 

Looking forward to seeing where everyone gets accepted. I applied to a number of the same places for doctoral studies as y'all.

Hi Jake! :) welcome!  

I'm new around here too, to which programs did you apply? 

7 minutes ago, Satynne said:

I'm feeling nervous now, I was looking at the result search and saw 2 decisions from UCSB  for the Communication program and 1 for Interpersonal Communication. 

Hi, sorry I'm new here aka probably a noob questions... What do you mean result search?

43 minutes ago, Satynne said:

Hi Jake! :) welcome!  

I'm new around here too, to which programs did you apply? 

Hey, Satynne! 

Seven programs (alphabetical, so not to privilege one over another lol): Boulder, Chapel Hill, Northwestern, NYU, USC, UPenn, and Utah. 

I'm navigating this process with a boyfriend, so we made these choices together (hence the seemingly disjointed collection). 

Where did you apply?

Don't torture yourself by looking at the search results until mid-February or March unless you're looking for historical data to indicate when you should expect a response. I did that last year and it was not fruitful, especially when you consider that anything that populates at this point is likely spam. I don't think any of the programs I looked said they'd release admittance letters or rejections before February. :)

If you're applying for a MA/MS program, they might have earlier acceptances, but I doubt it. Here's to waiting. :wacko:

20 hours ago, Satynne said:

I'm feeling nervous now, I was looking at the result search and saw 2 decisions from UCSB  for the Communication program and 1 for Interpersonal Communication. 

If you didn't hear back, it is probably a good thing.

Hi all! I am applying for communications of tech PhD/funded MS programs. I applied to 6 programs and have already gotten rejected from one program! Wohoo! Trying to hold onto hope... I am feeling like I maybe aimed a bit too high with the programs I applied to this round. :/ 

Edited by cotes_du_groan
spelling

On 1/13/2016 at 8:47 AM, cannedheat said:

Don't torture yourself by looking at the search results until mid-February or March unless you're looking for historical data to indicate when you should expect a response. I did that last year and it was not fruitful, especially when you consider that anything that populates at this point is likely spam. I don't think any of the programs I looked said they'd release admittance letters or rejections before February. :)

If you're applying for a MA/MS program, they might have earlier acceptances, but I doubt it. Here's to waiting. :wacko:

I did it. I looked. 2 acceptances from UNC-Chapel Hill for a Communication PhD. My Chapel Hill app still shows pending review. I don't know if it's spam or not. It could be, December 15th is awfully fast for a program with a December 1st deadline, though.:o

On 1/12/2016 at 5:54 PM, the_queer_ecologist said:

Hey, Satynne! 

Seven programs (alphabetical, so not to privilege one over another lol): Boulder, Chapel Hill, Northwestern, NYU, USC, UPenn, and Utah. 

I'm navigating this process with a boyfriend, so we made these choices together (hence the seemingly disjointed collection). 

Where did you apply?

Hi!  

I applied to UC Santa Barbara :) 

1 hour ago, cannedheat said:

I did it. I looked. 2 acceptances from UNC-Chapel Hill for a Communication PhD. My Chapel Hill app still shows pending review. I don't know if it's spam or not. It could be, December 15th is awfully fast for a program with a December 1st deadline, though.:o

Also some programs still wait for all the transcripts and report results to arrive till almost December 20, at least the UC does.. :wacko:

3 hours ago, cannedheat said:

Sorry to break this news to you, but that UNC-Chapel Hill acceptance isn't spam. My boyfriend and I were accepted to UNC-Chapel Hill. They send out notifications before the end of the fall semester. That's not to say that there isn't still hope; I was told that people really do turn down UNC! 

4 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

Sorry to break this news to you, but that UNC-Chapel Hill acceptance isn't spam. My boyfriend and I were accepted to UNC-Chapel Hill. They send out notifications before the end of the fall semester. That's not to say that there isn't still hope; I was told that people really do turn down UNC! 

That's awesome! Congratulations! I had no idea it was so fast with UNC Chapel Hill. 

10 minutes ago, cannedheat said:

That's awesome! Congratulations! I had no idea it was so fast with UNC Chapel Hill. 

Thank you! *Crosses fingers for GOOD NEWS for you too!* But really, I was running on the treadmill and watching a Britney Spears tour on my iPhone when I received the message...I almost broke both of my legs trying to get off the machine lol. COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED. 

I'm excited for you! Is Chapel Hill yours and your boyfriend's top choice?

I was rejected last year from Chapel Hill, but I didn't get my rejection until late February...so we'll see.

Edited by cannedheat
cuz I didn't like the way it read.

10 minutes ago, cannedheat said:

I'm excited for you! Is Chapel Hill yours and your boyfriend's top choice?

I was rejected last year from Chapel Hill, but I didn't get my rejection until late February...so we'll see. It's not my top choice, it's just the program my mentor was really pushing me towards. 

I think it's a really good sign that you were rejected in late February. When I applied for my masters, I knew a grad student who was rejected from UNC in January. I feel as if they outwardly reject people pretty early on (pure speculation)...maybe you were probably on the wait list?!

As for top choice, it's hard to say. Navigating this terrain with two people is a weird experience. Some programs make more sense for him (and vice versa). We've really stopped ourselves from saying what our top choice is...I really want to let the schools unfold before I set my mind on one particular place (last time, I was all about Syracuse IMMEDIATELY....I kinda wish I would have chilled out and felt out all options). But yeah...I mean, it's UNC Chapel Hill. It certainly isn't low in my mind! 

Do you have a top choice?

Dang you managed to quote me before I could edit it. I didn't mean to minimize your acceptance. Chapel Hill is like *the* program for cultural studies, Lawrence effing Grossberg teaches there. So I'm totally jealous, but I don't know if my research interests really fit, I should have written it that way instead. 

I think my top choice is Uni of Massachusetts Amherst or Uni of Washington. I think the stuff the students at Amherst are writing about is fascinating. 

Edited by cannedheat

21 minutes ago, cannedheat said:

Dang you managed to quote me before I could edit it. I didn't mean to minimize your acceptance. Chapel Hill is like *the* program for cultural studies, Lawrence effing Grossberg teaches there. So I'm totally jealous, but I don't know if my research interests really fit, I should have written it that way instead. 

I think my top choice is Uni of Massachusetts Amherst or Uni of Washington. I think the stuff the students at Amherst are writing about is fascinating. 

Someone in my cohort is doing Amherst. We were going to apply there, but thought it was best to bow out. No need to have a cohort applying to the same schools! But yeah, that school looks great. I see a lot of people with jobs from there.

As for Washington, for some reason, a ton of people that research animal rhetoric come from there. I presented with a guy at NCA who talked about prairie dogs. I wanted to apply there, but the queer theory scene wasn't too hot for my other half. Alas, we didn't.

#LawrenceEffingGrossberg :-) TREND IT ON TWITTER