Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

I'm currently working on my SOP for USC Annenberg and what they ask for in the guidelines seems to be very academic / theory focused. 

My current draft for them is kind of a narrative through my academic / graduate history with theorists that were relevant to me at the time and shaped my interests as they are now, but I'm worried it might seem a bit too much like name-dropping. How did you tackle this?  

As I mentioned to Swans in a message, personal info is fine so long as it really does apply to your interests or values.  It's really all about fit.

Has anyone applied, attended, done research with or visited NYU Steinhardt Media Studies program? Its my number one pick and I've talked to the Chair before (she answers emails really well) and another prof who also answered back really quickly (these are the two I'm personally interested in studying under) but the Graduate Director isn't answering my emails. I asked about foreign language requirements/suggestions if I'm going to focus on the historical perspectives in media studies, and no answer. Is this a shared experience? I'm not actually applying until at least 2017 Fall admissions, but Id like to get to the department early.

Has anyone applied, attended, done research with or visited NYU Steinhardt Media Studies program? Its my number one pick and I've talked to the Chair before (she answers emails really well) and another prof who also answered back really quickly (these are the two I'm personally interested in studying under) but the Graduate Director isn't answering my emails. I asked about foreign language requirements/suggestions if I'm going to focus on the historical perspectives in media studies, and no answer. Is this a shared experience? I'm not actually applying until at least 2017 Fall admissions, but Id like to get to the department early.

I don't know what's up with the grad director, but I've had about a 66% success rate with contacting PoIs and PhD students. You'd probably be best served calling if it's an administrator you're looking for. 

Hi all -

Wanted to pay forward the conversation and feedback I got last application season. At Penn Annenberg now, happy to offer my personal $0.02. Also, not gonna post it here because it's self promotion, but I penned a fairly lengthy blog post sharing my thoughts on grad admission that I'm happy to link you to if you message me.

Hi all -

Wanted to pay forward the conversation and feedback I got last application season. At Penn Annenberg now, happy to offer my personal $0.02. Also, not gonna post it here because it's self promotion, but I penned a fairly lengthy blog post sharing my thoughts on grad admission that I'm happy to link you to if you message me.

I'd like to read it. Also, from your experience so far (if you've had the classes), is their "communication and culture" from an anthropological definition of culture or an english/theatre definition of culture? With Kraidy there, I'm guessing more anthropology? And are they just focused on news and journalism for their "Media Institutions and Systems" or is it more the mechanics? It's on my list of places, but I've settled to take 3 years for masters, so two years for PhD program research. 

@ajayghale The director is a professor. So far I'm having a 50% email response rate. Lisa Gitelman and JoEllen Fisherkeller do email back.

For the  sake of keeping the thread alive, I'll complain about my minor problems.

So, I've edited final drafts of my personal statement (sans specifics about each program) and writing sample (and an additional, shortened version for one program in particular) and I emailed those out a little over a week ago to my LoR-writers. A week after I emailed this, I got a response from one of them apologizing for not getting back with me. I sent another email to the remaining two just as a reminder and got a response from one, so now I'm waiting. 

I can't complete an application until I have confirmed that the third person will in fact be writing a letter. Furthermore, I don't have a backup writer, at least not one as strong, in case they either never respond or end up declining. If I could start finishing applications, I could stagger payments and make this process a lot easier on myself financially.

I know it's relatively early, but I'd rather get everything done. I've been working on this since I graduated in May. Obviously that's not their problem and I'll have to continue pacing around, but I figured I'd kvetch in a place that would understand. 

For the  sake of keeping the thread alive, I'll complain about my minor problems.

So, I've edited final drafts of my personal statement (sans specifics about each program) and writing sample (and an additional, shortened version for one program in particular) and I emailed those out a little over a week ago to my LoR-writers. A week after I emailed this, I got a response from one of them apologizing for not getting back with me. I sent another email to the remaining two just as a reminder and got a response from one, so now I'm waiting. 

I can't complete an application until I have confirmed that the third person will in fact be writing a letter. Furthermore, I don't have a backup writer, at least not one as strong, in case they either never respond or end up declining. If I could start finishing applications, I could stagger payments and make this process a lot easier on myself financially.

I know it's relatively early, but I'd rather get everything done. I've been working on this since I graduated in May. Obviously that's not their problem and I'll have to continue pacing around, but I figured I'd kvetch in a place that would understand. 

Is there anyway you can visit the third letter writer? October is a pretty busy time of year for professors, but it won't relent until final grades are posted either. I would maybe email one more time in a few times and then see about making an appointment. 

I, too, am working since graduating in May and it is difficult to find time to do everything. I'm pacing myself for the SOPs, I'd like to write an individual statement for each program but I don't know if I'll manage the time. :( Plus, University of Colorado - Boulder doesn't want a thesis chapter out of context so I'm left wondering which paper I've written in my MA program that demonstrates my abilities quite as well. Most of my papers from my last year of my MA were either group papers or not my best work (because I was working a damn thesis!! :P). So that's fun. 

Is there anyway you can visit the third letter writer? October is a pretty busy time of year for professors, but it won't relent until final grades are posted either. I would maybe email one more time in a few times and then see about making an appointment. 

I, too, am working since graduating in May and it is difficult to find time to do everything. I'm pacing myself for the SOPs, I'd like to write an individual statement for each program but I don't know if I'll manage the time. :( Plus, University of Colorado - Boulder doesn't want a thesis chapter out of context so I'm left wondering which paper I've written in my MA program that demonstrates my abilities quite as well. Most of my papers from my last year of my MA were either group papers or not my best work (because I was working a damn thesis!! :P). So that's fun. 

I live five hours away at the moment. What I'll end up doing if I don't get a response is my SO can leave a message in their inbox or at their office door. 

If you have the time, you can turn a section of your thesis into a standalone paper. I did that with mine. Good luck with everything! 

I live five hours away at the moment. What I'll end up doing if I don't get a response is my SO can leave a message in their inbox or at their office door. 

If you have the time, you can turn a section of your thesis into a standalone paper. I did that with mine. Good luck with everything! 

Hmmm, while not time conscious, this may be my best option. I was also thinking of editing a paper I wrote my first semester as a grad student on the Control Society and mobile apps and submitting that and then adding my chapter 1 as a supplementary writing sample. Thank you for the suggestion!!

For the same sake I'll ramble about mine as well.

The professor got back to me a week later, but he didn't know about my language request, so I'll probably email one of the professors that I hope to work under (but it seems far too early for that).

I also am now aware that my program probably won't prepare me for the intense writing and theory that is essential for the programs I know I want to attend to (IDK if any of you have listened to the talks out of NYU Steinhardt, but they are definitely more rigorous than my current department), so I'm turning my focus to research publications and media production. I don't know how I'll function under the financial weight! 

It too me a month of nosing around my department to finally get to the professor that actually would let me take production courses (they've sectioned them off to the undergraduates despite using them to market towards graduate student! all the "production" grad courses are theatre!!!!!) and I've started to invest in my own equipment for field filming (im in documentary and edu media to its not too bad, I guess).

But the worst is, I've been accepted to 3 conferences! The first two I couldn't attend, but the co-author went. The last one is in Reno, so I've been trying to get my department to help me finance going (the co-author is a prof from my undergrad school, but since im not a student or affiliate there, they won't help me). Despite telling me they help with funding during my application process, just getting them to answer emails is like pulling teeth! How am I suppose to drop $500-$1000 to every place I get accepted to! Its like one disappointment after another and I'll have at least 2 1/2 years left here.

Hey all! I hope you're fairing well this application season. I went through it last year; I know how rough it can be. Just keep swimming...

I'm just checking in to say hi and to offer my support. I ended up at UT Austin RTF so, if you have any questions, feel free to message me. 

For everyone else, best of luck!

I did my Masters at MCC. Even as a current student, it was often challenging to get responses to email from particular professors. Some were great and responded quickly, but there were a few that I only had about a 33% response rate--and that was while I was in that professor's class. Just part of the culture in that program.

Update of the Banal Minutiae of Early Fall Application Season: Third LOR-writer got back with me and everything is on track. I've dropped about half the money I'll end up needing to on sending GRE scores and two applications that require the fee before the supplementary application.

Now it's just a matter of customizing personal statements to the programs, waiting for any feedback on personal statements and writing sample from LOR-writers, sending official transcripts, gently reminding said LOR-writers periodically about deadlines, submitting and paying for remaining applications, and then waiting two or three months for any news. 

Side Note: This year's page is decidedly less active than last year's. Does this mean good things for us, in that maybe fewer people are seeking these positions, or does it mean nothing at all and there are just as many as ever and they just don't contribute to the forum? 

Let's get some quant people in on this. I need answers! 

Edited by ajayghale

On 11/2/2015, 8:41:55, ajayghale said:

Update of the Banal Minutiae of Early Fall Application Season: Third LOR-writer got back with me and everything is on track. I've dropped about half the money I'll end up needing to on sending GRE scores and two applications that require the fee before the supplementary application.

Now it's just a matter of customizing personal statements to the programs, waiting for any feedback on personal statements and writing sample from LOR-writers, sending official transcripts, gently reminding said LOR-writers periodically about deadlines, submitting and paying for remaining applications, and then waiting two or three months for any news. 

Side Note: This year's page is decidedly less active than last year's. Does this mean good things for us, in that maybe fewer people are seeking these positions, or does it mean nothing at all and there are just as many as ever and they just don't contribute to the forum? 

Let's get some quant people in on this. I need answers! 

Indeed, from this thread alone, apparently only 5 people will be applying to PhD programs for Fall 2016. :P 

44 minutes ago, cannedheat said:

Indeed, from this thread alone, apparently only 5 people will be applying to PhD programs for Fall 2016. :P 

The math checks out! 

On 10/31/2015, 7:28:01, hippocampus said:

I did my Masters at MCC. Even as a current student, it was often challenging to get responses to email from particular professors. Some were great and responded quickly, but there were a few that I only had about a 33% response rate--and that was while I was in that professor's class. Just part of the culture in that program.

How was your time there? I REALLY want to go there for my PhD, but looking at the other candidates, 11/35 of them went to an Ivy League schools (Not counting the ones from a foreign and large research state schools) and they seem to prefer people with their MA from The New School. Is it really hard to enter without a pedigree? You can PM me if you'd prefer not to post something really long here.

Well my application is pretty much ready to go. One of my referees turned completely silent for a month but after chasing multiple times he seems to have woken up again. If they all would be like that I would lose a few years of my life. 

*dusts cobwebs off thread*

Dear Fellow Hopefuls,

What is your plan if you don't get in this application season?

I've already been completely shut out one time, so a second time, especially since I actually feel like I fit well with my prospective field, would be enough to let me know that I should be pursuing other avenues. I'll likely try teaching English in Japan or something of that nature. I need to escape and do something that isn't retail. It'd be nice to do something to make use of my two MAs, too. Unfortunately, they're non-refundable.

Now that my application is practically done I'm probably going to write another paper that I'll try to get published or presented at a conference, so that I have something to add to my CV should I not be successful this time. I will probably try and find another job as well, even though my current job is relevant to my interests, it can always be a better fit. 

Edited by Swans

Is anyone up for exchanging SOPs for feedback? I have a working draft, it's not great yet, I'm still working on it. My first application is due 12/1, then I have several due between 12/10 and 12/15. 

Ugh I wish writing an SOP was easier...I liked mine from last year but obviously it was not doing me any favors.

hej!

I am looking for a PHD communication/media program where it would be possible to do research with a focus on the internet activism/social activism (like social movements activism on SNS). UCSB seems a nice choice, but currently i'm looking for programs that are not in top10. 

Any suggestions? 

Edited by kumitrue

1 hour ago, kumitrue said:

hej!

I am looking for a PHD communication/media program where it would be possible to do research with a focus on the internet activism/social activism (like social movements activism on SNS). UCSB seems a nice choice, but currently i'm looking for programs that are not in top10. 

Any suggestions? 

If you don't mind me asking, why no top ten schools? 

Side note: Swedish? 

8 hours ago, cannedheat said:

Is anyone up for exchanging SOPs for feedback? I have a working draft, it's not great yet, I'm still working on it. My first application is due 12/1, then I have several due between 12/10 and 12/15. 

Ugh I wish writing an SOP was easier...I liked mine from last year but obviously it was not doing me any favors.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at it, but it's definitely easier to adjust an existing SOP rather than start from scratch. Do you think you didn't frame your research well or something in the original? 

49 minutes ago, ajayghale said:

I wouldn't mind taking a look at it, but it's definitely easier to adjust an existing SOP rather than start from scratch. Do you think you didn't frame your research well or something in the original? 

Yes, perhaps. It may have been too autobiographical and wasted precious space that I could have used to discuss my research experience and research interests. Admittedly, having finished a thesis solidified my research interests rather than the wishy-washy-ness of my previous SOP. 

8 hours ago, cannedheat said:

Yes, perhaps. It may have been too autobiographical and wasted precious space that I could have used to discuss my research experience and research interests. Admittedly, having finished a thesis solidified my research interests rather than the wishy-washy-ness of my previous SOP. 

Speaking to your thesis and the experience you gained writing it would definitely be able to replace extraneous autobiography in the statement. Connect that with broader theory, have a section relating it to your POI, or at least the institution, and boom, you've got a usable essay.