Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Hey there!

I'm applying to USC and University of Pittsburgh for Communications for Fall 2016. My research interests are very much interdisciplinary, with a focus on queer/feminist media studies. I'm in love with USC Annenberg and I've been working on my statement for that program for months. Maybe I'm being a little neurotic, but it's my first time applying to PhD programs and I want my statement to be perfect (although it probably never will be, of course). 

Just wanted to say hi, and that I'm so happy to have found this message board to connect with other folks going through the stress/chaos that is PhD applications. I'm also applying to a few American Studies programs, a couple of English programs with a Cultural Studies focus, and one Sociology program. Anyone else applying a diverse range of disciplines too? 

If I don't get in this time around, I'll stay at my current job and maybe try and get my master's thesis published. I have some co-authored publications, but they're all public health related (LGBT public health, so a little bit related to my research interests) through my current job, so not necessarily directly applicable. 

Sending you all good luck and good vibes while you're working through your apps.

55 minutes ago, s said:

Hey there!

I'm applying to USC and University of Pittsburgh for Communications for Fall 2016. My research interests are very much interdisciplinary, with a focus on queer/feminist media studies. I'm in love with USC Annenberg and I've been working on my statement for that program for months. Maybe I'm being a little neurotic, but it's my first time applying to PhD programs and I want my statement to be perfect (although it probably never will be, of course). 

Just wanted to say hi, and that I'm so happy to have found this message board to connect with other folks going through the stress/chaos that is PhD applications. I'm also applying to a few American Studies programs, a couple of English programs with a Cultural Studies focus, and one Sociology program. Anyone else applying a diverse range of disciplines too? 

If I don't get in this time around, I'll stay at my current job and maybe try and get my master's thesis published. I have some co-authored publications, but they're all public health related (LGBT public health, so a little bit related to my research interests) through my current job, so not necessarily directly applicable. 

Sending you all good luck and good vibes while you're working through your apps.

Welcome to the party!!

1 hour ago, s said:

Hey there!

I have a friend who goes to USC Annenberg! 

I suppose I should introduce myself/say hi as well since I've been lurking for a while haha. I'm applying to a number of mass comm/political comm programs. I can't wait for this all to be done because I'm exhausted (as I'm sure you all are as well). 

1 hour ago, s said:

Hey there!

Welcome aboard! If you have any questions, there are many knowledgeable people on this thread, as well as myself. 

Edited by ajayghale

Hi, everyone! I am working through my first-ever attempt at PhD applications. This is a bit stressful. :)

Looking at studying media effects on society, not sure of a deep focus yet but I'm intrigued by the flow of power in social media and online communities. The Gamergate stuff from 2014 sparked that thinking - how mass comm and interpersonal comm seem to be blending. A critical theory approach to the question would be interesting. 

I've been out of college for several years, earning two master's degrees along the way. Spent a decade teaching high school English; enjoyed that; moved into a comm office at a small liberal arts college and really would like to teach in higher ed and/or work to improve organizational communication in higher ed institutions. 

My GRE scores are solid (169 v, 157 q, 6.0 a) and my GPA is good (4.0 undergrad; cumulative 3.96 from grad programs)....BUT..... I know my research focus is too fuzzy and none of my previous education is in communication, so I don't feel confident at all when writing my SOP.

Gotta give this a shot now because everything about my life right now is aligned to make this move. *crossing fingers* 

On 11/16/2015, 4:41:46, kumitrue said:

hej!

I am looking for a PHD communication/media program where it would be possible to do research with a focus on the internet activism/social activism (like social movements activism on SNS). UCSB seems a nice choice, but currently i'm looking for programs that are not in top10. 

Any suggestions? 

I love my program at OU and there are faculty who would love to guide you through that type of research.

Thank you ajayghale and lyrehc for your replies 

I'm looking for schools out of top for several reasons. The main one is that I've got some financial support for my applications, but a rule is that a number of programs of top universities i'm applying could not exceed some percentage. Moreover, I believe that top good schools are very easy identifiable, while they are not the only places to apply. There are more good programs, than just 10 or 15 stated at first positions of the ranking. 

Actually Danish :)

On 11/17/2015, 1:32:39, ajayghale said:

If you don't mind me asking, why no top ten schools? 

Side note: Swedish? 

On 11/22/2015, 10:07:53, kumitrue said:

Thank you ajayghale and lyrehc for your replies 

I'm looking for schools out of top for several reasons. The main one is that I've got some financial support for my applications, but a rule is that a number of programs of top universities i'm applying could not exceed some percentage. Moreover, I believe that top good schools are very easy identifiable, while they are not the only places to apply. There are more good programs, than just 10 or 15 stated at first positions of the ranking. 

Actually Danish :)

The Oxford Internet Institute has a doctoral program in Information, Communication, and Social Sciences. It's relatively new and I imagine EU citizens would have a decent chance at funding. 

23 hours ago, ajayghale said:

The Oxford Internet Institute has a doctoral program in Information, Communication, and Social Sciences. It's relatively new and I imagine EU citizens would have a decent chance at funding. 

Yeah, Oxford is cool, but to get funding isn't easy. But I know some people managed to get it. First places, than funding few years later :)

My girlfriend is trying to secure Oxford funding for a PhD at the moment, not easy at all. Worth a try nonetheless. :)

On another note, I just sent out my applications. Still waiting on one of my referees to submit the letter, but I'm not too worried about her. And now the wait begins... 

1 hour ago, Swans said:

My girlfriend is trying to secure Oxford funding for a PhD at the moment, not easy at all. Worth a try nonetheless. :)

On another note, I just sent out my applications. Still waiting on one of my referees to submit the letter, but I'm not too worried about her. And now the wait begins... 

Yeah, I need letters from two of my referees by the 1st. And a long wait it will be...

Welp, I submitted my first application last night to Uni of NC at Chapel Hill. I applied there last year and I got a late rejection, hopeful I have a better chance this year as I've improved my profile a lot. Good luck everyone!

I have 2 more applications due on 12/10 and another on 12/15. Whew!

On 27/11/2015, 11:24:40, KlausNomi said:

Applying for a few schools, with my top choice being the hyper-competitive PhD program for NYU's Media, Culture and Communication program. Fingers crossed!

Good luck, and good nickname! 

Hey Guys, I don't know too much, but I applied for a bunch of programs last application cycle and am now in grad school for comm at Stanford. Feel free to ask me if you have any specific questions!

4 hours ago, thegnuguy said:

Hey Guys, I don't know too much, but I applied for a bunch of programs last application cycle and am now in grad school for comm at Stanford. Feel free to ask me if you have any specific questions!

What's the atmosphere of the program? What's your research area? 

Hello everyone,

Just saying hello. I submitted two apps last week and I feel completely drained. I hope everyone is doing well and maintaining positive vibes during this application cycle.

I know I'm extra late, but I thought talking with other people who understand this process might make the waiting time less daunting. =)

18 hours ago, TWD2016 said:

Hello everyone,

Just saying hello. I submitted two apps last week and I feel completely drained. I hope everyone is doing well and maintaining positive vibes during this application cycle.

I know I'm extra late, but I thought talking with other people who understand this process might make the waiting time less daunting. =)

I feel completely drained, but that's because of work and a cold XD 

I feel ya! Four of mine are in, with three left waiting for LoRs. Also, apparently one of my programs hasn't received/uploaded my transcript yet, despite my sending it a month ago. They said not to worry. I'm kinda worried. 

15 hours ago, cannedheat said:

My application for Colorado is due on 12/10. It's got a $200 deposit/application fee, I think. I'm feeling some sudden doubts. Hopefully, it's just nerves. How is everyone else faring with their applications?

O.O that's a lot of money for one program's application. I hope they at least staple a $100 bill to your application for you before sending it to the admissions committee. 

Edited by ajayghale

Hi all! I was in the cycle last year. :) I'm now a student at UW Madison (Mass Comm, but I happen to work with a lot of Comm Arts students). I also attended the Media Studies program at Syracuse (Newhouse). Please let me know if you have any questions :)

1 hour ago, jltomato said:

Hi all! I was in the cycle last year. :) I'm now a student at UW Madison (Mass Comm, but I happen to work with a lot of Comm Arts students). I also attended the Media Studies program at Syracuse (Newhouse). Please let me know if you have any questions :)

Ahh, a fellow Wisconsinite! I'm currently getting my MA at UW Milwaukee!

As for everyone else, I'm totally feeling drained right along with you. I had 8 apps due last week (2 left due in Jan). It was horrible trying to get all that done on top of everything else I have going on. 

3 hours ago, ajayghale said:

O.O that's a lot of money for one program's application. I hope they at least staple a $100 bill to your application for you before sending it to the admissions committee. 

Indeed. The website for the program reports receiving roughly 75 MA and PhD applications each year which seems low to me. It's probably because it costs nearly 2.5 times the average application fees at other schools.

It's also the only application I have that specifically says not to include a Thesis chapter, only self-contained papers. My chapter one can stand on its own, but I'd hate to use it and waste $200 cuz I didn't follow instructions. I'm seriously doubting whether to move forward with this application. And...it's due on 12/10. I need to make a decision...

Edited by cannedheat

32 minutes ago, cannedheat said:

Indeed. The website for the program reports receiving roughly 75 MA and PhD applications each year which seems low to me. It's probably because it costs nearly 2.5 times the average application fees at other schools.

It's also the only application I have that specifically says not to include a Thesis chapter, only self-contained papers. My chapter one can stand on its own, but I'd hate to use it and waste $200 cuz I didn't follow instructions. I'm seriously doubting whether to move forward with this application. And...it's due on 12/10. I need to make a decision...

Eesh, that is tricky. If you used the components of that chapter as a paper in a class before it became part of the thesis, I'd say it'd be justifiable to use it. Beyond that, it's even more important if you think it's a good fit, one worth betting $200 no less. 

11 minutes ago, ajayghale said:

Eesh, that is tricky. If you used the components of that chapter as a paper in a class before it became part of the thesis, I'd say it'd be justifiable to use it. Beyond that, it's even more important if you think it's a good fit, one worth betting $200 no less. 

It is tricky. It's easily the best representation of my ability to write as it started off as a research proposal and it's been tweaked so many times now in the editing process. I returned to it often to guide the research and the writing of the rest of the thesis. The only other paper I'd feel comfortable using is actually a two-parter on hegemonic masculinity in The Big Bang Theory which I wrote for a gender comm class right before graduating. It needs to be edited into one piece, but it'll be roughly 30 pages whereas the thesis chapter is 12 pages.

I think it's a good fit research wise, though.