Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

So kind of a weird question,

Does anyone know what schools really prioritize a GPA? I know experience matters everywhere but are there any schools that are more GPA focused than anything else?

@Mack Hey Mack! I'm not 100% sure, but I have an 81 average and got into Toronto. I did have a 95 in research methods and have been working in two labs as an RA for the past year. I think Toronto really places an emphasis on research experience and personal statement. Laurier, on the other hand, I was rejected from quite early and I think it's because I had less than 3500 hours of experience, so I think they place a lot of emphasis on experience hours and grades- because I do think my personal statement was strong. York, on the other hand, I have no clue about because I haven't heard back from them yet. Those are the three I applied to :) Just my 2 cents! 

2 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey I don't have any advice on this! But I am a lauier rejectee but it is my dream school and really want to know how I could improve. You must be doing something right to get accepted to all of those schools! What is your experience like? and do you have any advice?

I only applied to UofT last year and was waitlisted so I just spent the last year trying to really improve my application! Even though I didn't apply to UofT again, I definitely think that my application to other schools is much stronger this year (although I'm still waiting on York which is my dream school so fingers crossed!). Originally I was going to go back and do a fifth year to try and boost my GPA but then ended up getting accepted to an MA program last minute- which I honestly think is a lot of what schools like about me, that I already have a Masters going in. Also, considering that GPAs in MA programs tend to be much higher it also boosted my application in that regard. In terms of experience between the application seasons, over the summer I volunteered at a camp for underprivileged youth where I got around 1500 hours. Other than that I have been really involved with social justice work at my university, and have worked with a few NGOs in overseas in social justice work. I think I have around 3700 hours total including this last summer. Also I know that my written statement was much better this year- last year I was very general and vague whereas this year I focused in very specifically on my current research question and how I wanted to expand upon it using a social work background. I hope that helps! I was so close to giving up on the whole thing after last year and am so so happy that I kept working at it. Don't get discouraged! 

42 minutes ago, lvm2015 said:

I only applied to UofT last year and was waitlisted so I just spent the last year trying to really improve my application! Even though I didn't apply to UofT again, I definitely think that my application to other schools is much stronger this year (although I'm still waiting on York which is my dream school so fingers crossed!). Originally I was going to go back and do a fifth year to try and boost my GPA but then ended up getting accepted to an MA program last minute- which I honestly think is a lot of what schools like about me, that I already have a Masters going in. Also, considering that GPAs in MA programs tend to be much higher it also boosted my application in that regard. In terms of experience between the application seasons, over the summer I volunteered at a camp for underprivileged youth where I got around 1500 hours. Other than that I have been really involved with social justice work at my university, and have worked with a few NGOs in overseas in social justice work. I think I have around 3700 hours total including this last summer. Also I know that my written statement was much better this year- last year I was very general and vague whereas this year I focused in very specifically on my current research question and how I wanted to expand upon it using a social work background. I hope that helps! I was so close to giving up on the whole thing after last year and am so so happy that I kept working at it. Don't get discouraged! 

Thank you for this! I accepted an offer for a post degree BSW at U of Waterloo! So I hope that will help me show that I am focused and passionate about social work! I am also studying part time, so hopefully that will give me both a chance to raise my GPA and acquire some good experience. I was crushed when I was first rejected but I also see that this common among MSW applicants. I will try my best not to get discouraged!! I think one of my downfalls was references so I might be looking into getting some better ones. ( waterloo told me this was a downfall of my application.) I also was considering going to Laurier and talking to someone about my application.

Thank you for your advice.

Best wishes with York! I bet you will get in!

Hey everyone! So I was admitted into the 2 year MSW program at Laurier and I'm stilll waiting to hear back from U of T. I was waitlisted last year. Anyone heard back? Also, any feedback on how the two schools compare? I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to go (if I get into U of T that is). Any help would be awesome!! :)

10 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

Thank you for this! I accepted an offer for a post degree BSW at U of Waterloo! So I hope that will help me show that I am focused and passionate about social work! I am also studying part time, so hopefully that will give me both a chance to raise my GPA and acquire some good experience. I was crushed when I was first rejected but I also see that this common among MSW applicants. I will try my best not to get discouraged!! I think one of my downfalls was references so I might be looking into getting some better ones. ( waterloo told me this was a downfall of my application.) I also was considering going to Laurier and talking to someone about my application.

Thank you for your advice.

Best wishes with York! I bet you will get in!

For me I think changing one of my references made the difference this year after being waitlisted last year. Reading through these posts it's almost impossible to say what schools are looking for, areas where my application is weak seems to be areas where other applicants were strong, so I really do think they look at each individual. 

Last year ear I contacted both u of t and Laurier for feedback. Toronto was actually able to give me the most feedback and tell me areas to improve. 

On 3/30/2016 at 6:04 PM, rockerelmo said:

Hey SamSat, no problem :)  I cannot speak on behalf of the admissions committee of what they look for, but do take in mind that people with a variety of experience had got accepted! I think your experience sounds great. That's funny, because I worked for an immigrant serving agency for 4.5 years before this, and I am interested in newcomer experiences and systemic barriers for newcomers. Social workers are settlement counsellors for newcomers to Canada. Where I used to work, they were the frontline workers of the agency, so there is a need. But I'm not sure of the stats of employment rate. If you'd like to learn more about what they do, I'd suggest you calling COSTI Immigrant Services and ask to speak or meet their counsellors to learn more. Right now they are busy with Syrian refugees, in order to find them living space, as a lot of them are still living in hotels. What you choose is ultimate up to you, you know what's best! As long as you are consistent with your story and how you present yourself, the admissions will see how your specialty will shine through. 

On 3/30/2016 at 6:15 PM, sosocialworker said:

Hey check out indeed.ca and search immigration for toronto. There's a ton of jobs currently available to help with greater housing, employment ore even with working on ending discrimination for immigrants. It's a great focus and there are many people who want to work on creating more inclusive mental health organizations. And if you are fluent in other languages you will thrive!

Thank you to both of you for the good tips!! That definitely is uplifting for me to hear. I got rejected from Laurier and am still waiting on U of T and York, however I have started looking for jobs in the non-profit field that I could actually do with my business background (e.g. communications and marketing). Hopefully by working in a human service organization, I can gain more experience and exposure to the social issues I care about even if I am not a front-line worker. I still plan on getting front-line experience though, on the side, in a volunteer position- still deciding between trying to volunteer at a newcomer/ refugee centre, a crisis counselling hotline, or some sort of research experience. They all are valuable in different ways I guess and have appeal at different schools which is why I'm having trouble picking between what to pursue (I'd do all but I'm pretty sure it would kill me haha). Good luck to you both :) 

8 hours ago, Bettyg said:

For me I think changing one of my references made the difference this year after being waitlisted last year. Reading through these posts it's almost impossible to say what schools are looking for, areas where my application is weak seems to be areas where other applicants were strong, so I really do think they look at each individual. 

Last year ear I contacted both u of t and Laurier for feedback. Toronto was actually able to give me the most feedback and tell me areas to improve. 

Hey,

Thank you for your feedback, how did you go about contacting Laurier?

22 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey,

Thank you for your feedback, how did you go about contacting Laurier?

@Bettyg I have the same question, I would love to elicit feedback from the schools I get rejected from to purposefully direct my efforts over the next few months, do you have any tips? Thanks!! 

On 4/2/2016 at 2:38 PM, msw.ang said:

@Mack Hey Mack! I'm not 100% sure, but I have an 81 average and got into Toronto. I did have a 95 in research methods and have been working in two labs as an RA for the past year. I think Toronto really places an emphasis on research experience and personal statement. Laurier, on the other hand, I was rejected from quite early and I think it's because I had less than 3500 hours of experience, so I think they place a lot of emphasis on experience hours and grades- because I do think my personal statement was strong. York, on the other hand, I have no clue about because I haven't heard back from them yet. Those are the three I applied to :) Just my 2 cents! 

Just thought I would add in my two cents as well since I am currently attending WLU 2 year MSW program. I was initially waitlisted for both schools but received a letter of acceptance on the first day the waitlist opened up for WLU. From my understanding, the committee judges applicants based on minimum criteria first, and then personal statement. As someone with a fair amount of research experience I was surprised to get into WLU but I think this speaks to how I approached my personal statement. In hindsight, I tailored my U of T statement based on what I thought they wanted, rather than letting it be an opportunity to reflect myself and understanding. I did this because I knew it was competitive and it was originally my first choice. With my statement of interest for WLU, I wrote it a few days before the due date and my responses were more natural and reflexive. 

So, yes WLU is strict on the hour requirement (it is a minimum criteria) but it's based on good reasoning. Plus, I think these hours can be easily accumulated when considering the dynamic roles of social workers and related social work experience. For those deliberating over their acceptances remember, each school has its niche as well as its quirks but remember part of being a social work student is navigating these hurdles. 

Best of luck :)

On 4/2/2016 at 2:18 PM, CalendarGirl said:

Hey I don't have any advice on this! But I am a lauier rejectee but it is my dream school and really want to know how I could improve. You must be doing something right to get accepted to all of those schools! What is your experience like? and do you have any advice?

Hey! I still haven't heard from Laurier, how did you receive a rejection? was it via e-mail? The last school I had so much hope cause i hadn't heard and then was rejected, so I'm thinking the same thing is going to happen. 

19 minutes ago, MSW/MEd said:

Hey! I still haven't heard from Laurier, how did you receive a rejection? was it via e-mail? The last school I had so much hope cause i hadn't heard and then was rejected, so I'm thinking the same thing is going to happen. 

check your LORIS, it was there.. :'( I was so sad. I am sure you are waitlisted or you will be accepted!

On 2016-04-02 at 10:04 PM, Eveileb said:

My application status on UWindsor also changed to "Application in process", I wonder what this means. Does anyone from last year's application period know? 

I am still waiting to hear from UWindsor too and my status changed recently to that too. I would love to know if anyone has some information on what this means?

3 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

check your LORIS, it was there.. :'( I was so sad. I am sure you are waitlisted or you will be accepted!

Hmm thanks. I am really sorry to hear that you weren't accepted :( 

I chexk LORIS all the time and all I see if my applications documents and references, I hope I am looking in the right place haha 

9 hours ago, MSW/MEd said:

Hmm thanks. I am really sorry to hear that you weren't accepted :( 

I chexk LORIS all the time and all I see if my applications documents and references, I hope I am looking in the right place haha 

in the same boat! I think they still haven't decided on us haha... which is good news? I guess?

On 4/2/2016 at 4:04 AM, Eveileb said:

My application status on UWindsor also changed to "Application in process", I wonder what this means. Does anyone from last year's application period know? 

Mine did as well!

hey everyone! long time creeper, first time poster. I figured I would finally join the conversation because the waiting is unbearable and I'm driving myself insane. I applied to the 2-year programs at U of T and York and haven't heard anything from either. going into this, I was really confident because a U of T MSW alumni told me my application was really strong after helping through the process. I have a 4.0 GPA (I think, I'm not from Ontario but my average in my final two years was 85% [found the gpa conversion chart on the U of T website]), I was the Director of my university's students' union Women's Centre for two years, I have almost 3000 volunteer and work hours,  and I published a paper in my university's undergrad research journal. it wasn't until I found this forum that I became extremely nervous about my chances (everyone is so qualified!).

I'm starting to think I won't be accepted to either program and will have to try again next year, or find a different path for my continuing academic/career aspirations. what I'd really like to do if I don't get accepted is find a job related to social work/women's issues/LGBT issues/sexual health so I can gain more experience before applying again. since moving to Toronto in September I've found it impossible to even get an interview! to anyone living in Toronto and currently working in the field, what advice can you offer in getting your foot in the door and finding a job!?

good luck to everyone who hasn't heard yet, and congrats to those who have been accepted!

1 hour ago, Sarah Erwin said:

in the same boat! I think they still haven't decided on us haha... which is good news? I guess?

I don't know... this happened to me with calgary and then like a week later they rejected me. So I'm not really holding my breath too much, but I'm hoping you're right! haha

On April 2, 2016 at 0:08 PM, lvm2015 said:

Hi everyone! Long-time lurker here both last year and this year, I am trying to decide between schools right now and any guidance would be wonderful- I have been accepted to Windsor, Laurier, and McGill for the two year MSW programs (QY for McGill) and am having a tough time deciding. Right now it is between Laurier and McGill. I don't see McGill talked about very much on here, but does anyone know how it compares to Laurier? Thank you so much to anyone who can give me any advice!

Hello, I applied to and accepted the offer from McGill. It was my first choice. I'm a quebec resident so it's a lot cheaper for me to stay in province but also McGill is a really good school. I don't really know how both schools compare since I don't know much about Laurier. McGill has a really strong practicum program (you are doing 2.5 days of placement all year in the QY program) which was really important for me. 

1 hour ago, heatherandedwin said:

hey everyone! long time creeper, first time poster. I figured I would finally join the conversation because the waiting is unbearable and I'm driving myself insane. I applied to the 2-year programs at U of T and York and haven't heard anything from either. going into this, I was really confident because a U of T MSW alumni told me my application was really strong after helping through the process. I have a 4.0 GPA (I think, I'm not from Ontario but my average in my final two years was 85% [found the gpa conversion chart on the U of T website]), I was the Director of my university's students' union Women's Centre for two years, I have almost 3000 volunteer and work hours,  and I published a paper in my university's undergrad research journal. it wasn't until I found this forum that I became extremely nervous about my chances (everyone is so qualified!).

I'm starting to think I won't be accepted to either program and will have to try again next year, or find a different path for my continuing academic/career aspirations. what I'd really like to do if I don't get accepted is find a job related to social work/women's issues/LGBT issues/sexual health so I can gain more experience before applying again. since moving to Toronto in September I've found it impossible to even get an interview! to anyone living in Toronto and currently working in the field, what advice can you offer in getting your foot in the door and finding a job!?

good luck to everyone who hasn't heard yet, and congrats to those who have been accepted!

Wow your experience is amazing! Very surprised you haven't heard back yet. 
I'm still waiting too, but at this point as there seems to have been 3 waves of acceptances, I believe the rejection and waitlist letters are coming up :(

But we never know. I believe people still received acceptances up until the 2nd week of April last year. 

16 minutes ago, rachberks said:

Wow your experience is amazing! Very surprised you haven't heard back yet. 
I'm still waiting too, but at this point as there seems to have been 3 waves of acceptances, I believe the rejection and waitlist letters are coming up :(

But we never know. I believe people still received acceptances up until the 2nd week of April last year. 

thanks rachberks! may I ask what kind of experience/grades you have? also, do you know of people being rejected from U of T and York already?

@heatherandedwin Hey! I know of people who have been rejected from both U of T and York, but I think so far only those that didn't meet the minimum requirements. I think UoT is going to send out rejection letters/waitlist letters probably very soon, and York hasn't even made a first round of admissions (that I know of)! 

Just now, msw.ang said:

@heatherandedwin Hey! I know of people who have been rejected from both U of T and York, but I think so far only those that didn't meet the minimum requirements. I think UoT is going to send out rejection letters/waitlist letters probably very soon, and York hasn't even made a first round of admissions (that I know of)! 

thanks msw.ang!