Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

Just now, msw0913 said:

Sorry i should have been more specific. What kind of work or volunteer experience did you have? Also, what was your GPA? Sorry if its personal, you don't need to answer. I just want to know if I still have a chance. I kind of lost hope of getting into York. 

I think it might have been my lived experience and radical politics that got them interested in me. I wrote a really unconventional letter of intent. 

I think my GPA was an A- or something close to that. I do have loads of volunteer and work experience in social services and activism, and have been working in the field full time for a hospital for over a year. 

Let me know if you have any more questions- I would be happy to help in any way that I can.

Don't give up hope!

Hey Rizwan! I just checked my ROSI and it said "Invited" for status, does that mean I am accepted? :) I am literally crying right now from tears of joy lol I hope this not wasted emotion!

Registration - Fall 2016 - SW MSW 2
Degree Master of Social Work (2 Yr) (SW MSW 2)
Status Invited
Full-time or Part-time image Full Time
Session in which you entered program Fall 2016

3 hours ago, RRizwan said:

Hi Everyone,

So I just checked ROSI and I have been accepted into UofT (2 year)!!! Check your ROSI!

12 minutes ago, rockerelmo said:

Hey Rizwan! I just checked my ROSI and it said "Invited" for status, does that mean I am accepted? :) I am literally crying right now from tears of joy lol I hope this not wasted emotion!

Status Invited

Totally in, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Celebration time :)

2 hours ago, phd2msw said:

Someone upthread said they received a rejection letter on feb 29 for the 2 year program. So I am going to assume that if we haven't been rejected yet, there's still a chance. 

I think if someone got a rejection on Feb 29th that would mean the application was incomplete in some way, it doesn't make sense for a rejection to go out weeks before an acceptance otherwise. That's what York does too.

3 minutes ago, SW15 said:

Totally in, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Celebration time :)

OMG! Thank you! I am beyond ECSTATIC. Excited, overjoyed lol. I am waiting on the letter of acceptance which will make it official! This was such a hard process and I wanted this more than anything. I waited two years to gather my qualifications to be able to apply! I wish everyone the best of luck, and this was truly a humbling experience! 

46 minutes ago, rockerelmo said:

Status Invited

Congratulations!! It does! :D:D

29 minutes ago, rockerelmo said:

OMG! Thank you! I am beyond ECSTATIC. Excited, overjoyed lol. I am waiting on the letter of acceptance which will make it official! This was such a hard process and I wanted this more than anything. I waited two years to gather my qualifications to be able to apply! I wish everyone the best of luck, and this was truly a humbling experience! 

Congrats to all who got in today :) Unfortunately I am still waiting to hear back from any school. It is inspiring to see that you gathered experience and it paid off. What kind of experience did you accumulate? I want to make sure I am directing my efforts properly over the next year if I do not get in this year. So far, I have done mental health advocacy at my university, some other mentorship roles at uni, and have been volunteering at a long-term care home for just over a year.

3 hours ago, Homes2341 said:

When i got accepted to UofT last year, i got my letter on the 8th in the mail. It was dated for the 1st, and there was still nothing on my ROSI acct so don't give up hope if ROSI hasn't updated yet.

do you receive just a letter of acceptance in the mail? or a bigger package with more documents like for undergrad?

3 hours ago, phd2msw said:

Someone upthread said they received a rejection letter on feb 29 for the 2 year program. So I am going to assume that if we haven't been rejected yet, there's still a chance. 

I'm wondering maybe they were filtered out early because their application was missing something or they didn't meet the minimum qualifications to be considered (i.e. having a research methods course, too low GPA).

1 hour ago, SW15 said:

I think if someone got a rejection on Feb 29th that would mean the application was incomplete in some way, it doesn't make sense for a rejection to go out weeks before an acceptance otherwise. That's what York does too.

haha oops, totally repeated what you said :P

2 hours ago, chelsealion said:

I think it might have been my lived experience and radical politics that got them interested in me. I wrote a really unconventional letter of intent. 

I think my GPA was an A- or something close to that. I do have loads of volunteer and work experience in social services and activism, and have been working in the field full time for a hospital for over a year. 

Let me know if you have any more questions- I would be happy to help in any way that I can.

Don't give up hope!

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it! Congratulations once again! 

26 minutes ago, Sam.E said:

do you receive just a letter of acceptance in the mail? or a bigger package with more documents like for undergrad?

I got the whole big package. My acceptance letter was in there.

5 minutes ago, Homes2341 said:

I got the whole big package. My acceptance letter was in there.

ok thats good. I'll be able to tell what it is before i even open it. I'm gonna check the mail now, I'm kinda hopeful that they didn't update my ROSI but I still got in

3 minutes ago, Sam.E said:

ok thats good. I'll be able to tell what it is before i even open it. I'm gonna check the mail now, I'm kinda hopeful that they didn't update my ROSI but I still got in

I'm kind of hoping for the same thing. Hang in there guys

I'm not sure if this was a "wave" of acceptances today, I know a lot of people that have applied with substantial work experience and very high GPA's who are still being reviewed. I really think we can expect a wave in the coming days/weeks. Don't give up, don't loose hope!! :)

Edited by patience_is_a_virtue

Wow this forum brings back memories! I attended the 1 year MSW at York in 2014-2015. I can confirm York's focus on anti oppressive practice. I was admitted based upon almost 10 years of paid work experience in social services (but not as a RSW). I finished my BSW in summer, 2014. My undergrad GPA was 3.84 and I got either a B+ or an A- in research methods (can't remember now). I think I was admitted in spite of my personal statement lol, as I don't think it was very strong or on point. Also, most of my York profs hated the description of social work as a "helping profession" and if there is one thing I learned in my MSW there it is that you do not empower service users as that would imply that they are without power. York stretched my mind and showed me different ways of viewing the field. However, adjusting to York's ideas wasn't easy as they were often the exact opposite of what I was taught in my out-of-province BSW program. I personally think York BSW alum have a better shot of getting in because you (should) know how the school "thinks" and can tailor your statement to reflect their dominant discourses to help boost your chances of getting in (if you want to play that game). In the end I'm happy I chose York (I was also accepted to Ryerson's 1 year MSW) as the financial package that year could not be beat. I'm very glad that I did my MSW in general. I got a big promotion at the government agency where I work and within 5 years my salary will be double what it was before I finished grad school. Good luck everyone! It's a challenging road but worth it so hang in there!

Edited by 7238

Congrats to everyone who got in! Must be such an amazing feeling.

I only applied to UofT's 2 year MSW program (not in yet). I only want to do clinical social work, and I know UofT and UBC offer the 2 year programs for it. Anyone know of any other universities that have this program without requiring a BSW?

Also, I think I might not get in to UofT this year because I have about 3 years of relevant experience, and I feel as though everyone else had a lot more. Anyone have any pointers on paid work in social services I can do in my gap year (with a B.A.) to gain experience? Thanks!

Hey guys! This is my first time posting, but i've been following this thread for awhile. I'm in my fourth year of undergrad, so this is my first time applying. I applied to the 2-year MSW at Toronto, York, and Laurier and have yet to hear from any schools! It's definitely getting me down, but I still have hope. I also applied to the 1-year HBSW program at Lakehead (Orillia), so waiting to hear about that as well. I only have about a year of relevant experience, so it was a long shot applying but social work is what I want to do so I'm hoping to get some more experience this year (if I don't get accepted) and re-apply next year. Any tips on how to improve my application for next year? 

This has been such a great group! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted, and for everyone in my shoes, hang in there!! 

8 hours ago, SamSat said:

Congrats to all who got in today :) Unfortunately I am still waiting to hear back from any school. It is inspiring to see that you gathered experience and it paid off. What kind of experience did you accumulate? I want to make sure I am directing my efforts properly over the next year if I do not get in this year. So far, I have done mental health advocacy at my university, some other mentorship roles at uni, and have been volunteering at a long-term care home for just over a year.

Hi SamSat, hold your head high and keep moving forward! Is your interest in gerontology social work? (Drawing from your long-term care home experience) I followed my passion to fight for social justice as an organizer for two vigorous political campaigns, aside from working full-time at the same time at a nonprofit organization for 4.5 years. I also spent 6 months upgrading my GPA so I can be competitive enough to apply to grad school. 

I'd say find your interest and passion, keep doing what you love and the admissions will see that in your application. I'd also advise you to spend quality time on writing the application entrance essays, because they are crucial for a holistic evaluation of your application. Make sure your story is consistent, your vision and your goals are consistent, also that your referees all tell the same story as well. You'd want a consistent application that clearly shows this is who you are, why you want to pursue social work, and what you will do with it. 

But all that aside, who knows, you might have got in this year :) 

7 hours ago, msw.ang said:

Hey guys! This is my first time posting, but i've been following this thread for awhile. I'm in my fourth year of undergrad, so this is my first time applying. I applied to the 2-year MSW at Toronto, York, and Laurier and have yet to hear from any schools! It's definitely getting me down, but I still have hope. I also applied to the 1-year HBSW program at Lakehead (Orillia), so waiting to hear about that as well. I only have about a year of relevant experience, so it was a long shot applying but social work is what I want to do so I'm hoping to get some more experience this year (if I don't get accepted) and re-apply next year. Any tips on how to improve my application for next year? 

This has been such a great group! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted, and for everyone in my shoes, hang in there!! 

Hey! I'm also still waiting and I applied to the exact three same programs. Let's hang in there, it will happen soon:)