Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

1 hour ago, CalendarGirl said:

MACK!!! you have eased my mind!! Thank you, I feel like a weight has lifted from my shoulders!!

Best wishes and I hope you get off that waiting list!! Any news?

I'm so happy I could help and I hope you have a wonderful Easter.

No news yet. I am hoping maybe something this week but trying to limit how often I check Quest. I'm anxious myself so everytime I see the word "waitlist" I kind of get disappointed all over again :(

1 hour ago, Mack said:

I'm so happy I could help and I hope you have a wonderful Easter.

No news yet. I am hoping maybe something this week but trying to limit how often I check Quest. I'm anxious myself so everytime I see the word "waitlist" I kind of get disappointed all over again :(

Hey,

sorry I keep asking.. I just really hope this works out for you! Waterloo told me that they only put people they really liked on the waiting list and who they wished they could accept. There is still a chance for this year and if not, work for a year with your BSW! I have been looking online and there are allot of great jobs for those with BSWs. I know you want this, like we all do. But on the bright side you are almost a SOCIAL WORKER! congrats! IS there a part time msw that they would consider you for?

Best wishes and happy easter ( my easter this year is just me -studying haha)

On 3/24/2016 at 1:04 PM, cmmmsw said:

Has anyone who applied to U of T been rejected yet?

On 3/25/2016 at 1:10 PM, colieg said:

For those of you who applied to Windsor's 3-year MSW program (regular track, remote location) and got acceptances, how long did it take them to give you a response once all of your documents were in? I sent in my application in January, but they just received my last reference on Monday so I'm wondering when I should expect to hear back from them. They said 6-8 weeks but I'm hoping that maybe it could be shorter. I also applied to U of T but not overly hopeful that I'll get in at this point since I haven't heard back yet :(

Hi All,

I have spent most of my time reading your posts and not really participating (what an amazing/supportive community you all are!)

I thought I would let you know that no news is good news (at least for now) with regards to some schools. I got my rejection letter from UofT on Feb 29th, and it got shipped out the Friday before. So if you haven't heard yet then my guess is you are still being considered in some capacity whether that be admission or wait-list.

Best of luck!

3 minutes ago, Back to School said:

Hi All,

I have spent most of my time reading your posts and not really participating (what an amazing/supportive community you all are!)

I thought I would let you know that no news is good news (at least for now) with regards to some schools. I got my rejection letter from UofT on Feb 29th, and it got shipped out the Friday before. So if you haven't heard yet then my guess is you are still being considered in some capacity whether that be admission or wait-list.

Best of luck!

Is this for uoft 1 year advance standing or the 2 year stream. I am also very sorry to hear

Edited by MSW-UofT

On 3/24/2016 at 1:14 PM, CalendarGirl said:

Hey Sam,

I needed this reminder as well haha! I met with the University of Waterloo yesterday and have basically been promised a spot in their 5 term part time BSW program. However, I am feeling really, unsure right now as it will take longer than the full time program by two terms,  but it is a sure thing. I am feeling pretty defeated about doing another bachelors degree but I know that this experience will enable me to go to graduate school. ( That is if all fails with the 2 year Laurier.) haha everything is so up in the air at this point.

Hi CalendarGirl, that's awesome! It's all leading up to your goal eventually, even if it is a different route from what you imagined.I'm also waiting to hear back from Laurier 2-yr (actually haven't heard back from any schools yet)... so fingers crossed for both of us! :) 

26 minutes ago, SamSat said:

Hi CalendarGirl, that's awesome! It's all leading up to your goal eventually, even if it is a different route from what you imagined.I'm also waiting to hear back from Laurier 2-yr (actually haven't heard back from any schools yet)... so fingers crossed for both of us! :) 

SamSat,

I am hoping for both of us!! Waiting is awful. What is your experience like if you don't mind me asking! I could only get 3400 hours before the time of application!! So i'm not feeling overly confident this year!!

20 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

SamSat,

I am hoping for both of us!! Waiting is awful. What is your experience like if you don't mind me asking! I could only get 3400 hours before the time of application!! So i'm not feeling overly confident this year!!

I have far less than that! I come from a business background and have a strong interest in mental health policy and advocacy, and also have experience as a volunteer in long-term care.

I can't imagine they would mind at all if you were 100 hours short of the average last year- I wouldn't worry about it if I were you! 

2 hours ago, MSW-UofT said:

Is this for uoft 1 year advance standing or the 2 year stream. I am also very sorry to hear

2 year

And thanks! Still waiting on Laurier.... though trying not to get my hopes up.

4 minutes ago, Back to School said:

2 year

And thanks! Still waiting on Laurier.... though trying not to get my hopes up.

I'm sorry to hear that :( Things will work out eventually for sure. Good luck!!

And to you, @CalendarGirl, and everyone else waiting, Laurier just let me know that they are hoping to have all the decisions out within A WEEK! An email will be sent out and online viewing will update. 

2 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

I am feeling very tempted to ask Laurier if we will hear next week or the week after!! Come on Laurier haha! Hurry up!!!

Me too! I am going to e-mail them today about the p/t program. I ended up with around 3400 hours as well, all a mix of macro community development work, settlement, and volunteering at a homeless shelter. I've known people who get into the 2 year with extremely narrow experiences and few hours, but I know the 2 year is different than advanced standing. 

Anyone have plans for what happens if  you aren't accepted? I'm thinking about going abroad, or looking into other humanities MA programs. 

1 minute ago, SamSat said:

I'm sorry to hear that :( Things will work out eventually for sure. Good luck!!

And to you, @CalendarGirl, and everyone else waiting, Laurier just let me know that they are hoping to have all the decisions out within A WEEK! An email will be sent out and online viewing will update. 

amazzzing!!! NEXT WEEK IT IS. My heart just jumped!

I think your background is wonderful and interesting. I think that is benefit for two year programs, they will get students from diverse backgrounds which means that they will get different types of social workers.

I am so excited to stop speculating and just know my fate haha! Did you e-mail them?

2 minutes ago, LP3 said:

Me too! I am going to e-mail them today about the p/t program. I ended up with around 3400 hours as well, all a mix of macro community development work, settlement, and volunteering at a homeless shelter. I've known people who get into the 2 year with extremely narrow experiences and few hours, but I know the 2 year is different than advanced standing. 

Anyone have plans for what happens if  you aren't accepted? I'm thinking about going abroad, or looking into other humanities MA programs. 

UGH, well it is allot of hours... I am glad you know people who got in without such an abundance of hours. I am not hopeful for Laurier because I know how competitive the program is and I think that my professional references could have been stronger :( If this does not work out, I will likely be attending UW for the BSW program. They offer a great practicum experience and also I would like to get an academic reference who is in the field. Abroad seems like a great plan!! I am not brave enough for that right now haha! But it would definitely make you stand out in terms of experience if you have to apply again !  :)

5 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

amazzzing!!! NEXT WEEK IT IS. My heart just jumped!

I think your background is wonderful and interesting. I think that is benefit for two year programs, they will get students from diverse backgrounds which means that they will get different types of social workers.

I am so excited to stop speculating and just know my fate haha! Did you e-mail them?

I e-mailed them!! *Cringes* *Hides* 

Just now, andwewait said:

Ryerson just called me, I was accepted but turned down their offer. I am going to Windsor for my MSW 

Congrats on Windsor! May I ask what your opinion of the school is? And what draws you there? Windsor was my local University growing up, but I never toured the campus and immediately went to Waterloo for my undergrad. What is the scoop on their MSW?

If anyone else is waiting for Laurier's Part Time MSW, I just received word that the decisions will be made by the 3rd week of April!

2 hours ago, SamSat said:

WAIT does that mean within this week? or within next week? A confused girl...refreshing LORIS excessively hahahah

29 minutes ago, LP3 said:

Congrats on Windsor! May I ask what your opinion of the school is? And what draws you there? Windsor was my local University growing up, but I never toured the campus and immediately went to Waterloo for my undergrad. What is the scoop on their MSW?

I know nothing about Uwindsor, other then I like how they have their course timetable laid out. I am currently in my BSW and I find it hard doing classes and placement at the same time. I love that Ryerson is social justice focus but they require you to write a major research paper, and my level of research skills are not that great. I also want to move and Windsor starts in May, but Ryerson was my first choice but it is the research paper that made me turn it down. Also Uwindsor offered me a scholarship haha. I know there are no jobs in Windsor and the city is boring (from what O hear) but for some reason im drawn to Windsor as much as I would love living in the Tdot 

3 minutes ago, andwewait said:

I know nothing about Uwindsor, other then I like how they have their course timetable laid out. I am currently in my BSW and I find it hard doing classes and placement at the same time. I love that Ryerson is social justice focus but they require you to write a major research paper, and my level of research skills are not that great. I also want to move and Windsor starts in May, but Ryerson was my first choice but it is the research paper that made me turn it down. Also Uwindsor offered me a scholarship haha. I know there are no jobs in Windsor and the city is boring (from what O hear) but for some reason im drawn to Windsor as much as I would love living in the Tdot 

Whatever people say, Windsor is a beautiful city and there's a nice bike/jogging path beside the river!