Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

7 hours ago, Ach29 said:

I was just accepted into U of T's 2 year program. Check your ROSI!!! I'm shaking and nearly crying.. but I work in a research lab and am currently running a subject.. Must. Keep. Cool. 

Good luck everyone!

Congrats!! You're so lucky to hear back so early!! Still says "no registration history" on my ROSI.... I just got a rejection from McGill so I'm kinda starting to lose hope :'(

Also, a friend of mine got an acceptance to the 2 yr at U of T around April 22 last yr so there's still hope if you haven't heard back so far (this is the only thing keeping me sane rn)

15 minutes ago, Sam.E said:

Also, a friend of mine got an acceptance to the 2 yr at U of T around April 22 last yr so there's still hope if you haven't heard back so far (this is the only thing keeping me sane rn)

That is good to know. My ROSI still says "no registration" was really hoping that would change today. Would almost prefer it if they had a set day to let everyone know whether they were accepted, wait listed or rejected. I'll just have to cross my fingers and continue refreshing ROSI!

For those of you who are waiting for the 2 year Laurier MSW acceptances, we can expect to have them by the 2nd week of April. I emailed Meghan Horton today from the graduate studies department. We can expect an email from Laurier and our online viewing will also be updated if we're accepted. Looks like we're going to have to wait a little bit longer. Fingers crossed!! Good luck everyone!  

19 minutes ago, patience_is_a_virtue said:

For those of you who are waiting for the 2 year Laurier MSW acceptances, we can expect to have them by the 2nd week of April. I emailed Meghan Horton today from the graduate studies department. We can expect an email from Laurier and our online viewing will also be updated if we're accepted. Looks like we're going to have to wait a little bit longer. Fingers crossed!! Good luck everyone!  

amazing!! Thanks for asking, not excited to keep waiting but now we have an idea of when we can expect to hear back. So is that the week of April 5th? Or the following week... april technically starts next Friday, so it is still a little confusing!!!

8 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

amazing!! Thanks for asking, not excited to keep waiting but now we have an idea of when we can expect to hear back. So is that the week of April 5th? Or the following week... april technically starts next Friday, so it is still a little confusing!!!

I'm going to let myself believe it's the week following April 5th to avoid any disappointment haha 

3 hours ago, Eveileb said:

Does anyone know if there will be a 3rd round of admittances for the UofT 2 year program? Or are sporadic admittances until mid-April what's usually left? 

Most likely a 3rd round sometime in the first or second week of April

5 hours ago, patience_is_a_virtue said:

Thanks for the info! The second week of April is so late! I just want to get all my crap together and figure out where I have to move and if I can afford it lol.

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 0:12 PM, MSW-UofT said:

I got into ryerson...i recieved the call about 2 weeks ago then an email confirming details. 

Congrats!!! I'm still waiting to hear back from them, I'm so nervous!

7 hours ago, MSW/MEd said:

Thanks for the info! The second week of April is so late! I just want to get all my crap together and figure out where I have to move and if I can afford it lol.

I feel you! I've only applied to Laurier's Part Time Advanced Standing, and decisions aren't made until June 30. It's driving me nuts. 

Does anyone know about the free university tuition or grants applying to graduate programs? 

15 hours ago, Sam.E said:

this gives me hope. I think after the first 2 waves though I've slowly accepted that whatever happens happens, and theres always things I can fix in my application and always more experience that can benefit me! I have a 3.9 gpa in my last year, about 1000 hours of unpaid work in the social service field, and 3000 hours of paid work at a retirement home (been there 5 years now), but my missing element is that I have no research experience (besides my thesis and an A in research methods) and I'm understanding that UofT obviously values research extremely highly.  It's so easy to go from confident to completely discouraged really quick 

1 hour ago, rachberks said:

this gives me hope. I think after the first 2 waves though I've slowly accepted that whatever happens happens, and theres always things I can fix in my application and always more experience that can benefit me! I have a 3.9 gpa in my last year, about 1000 hours of unpaid work in the social service field, and 3000 hours of paid work at a retirement home (been there 5 years now), but my missing element is that I have no research experience (besides my thesis and an A in research methods) and I'm understanding that UofT obviously values research extremely highly.  It's so easy to go from confident to completely discouraged really quick 

Hey, I did not apply to U of T because to be honest Toronto makes my anxiety sky rocket haha !! But, I think your application sounds great!! Your GPA is unreal, and I think that your experience in a retirement home will serve your application well. Do you want to focus on geriatrics? Everyone is lacking something, very few of us are perfect, if my case I think my number of hours is mediocre but the experiance is great and unique! I come from studio art so I had no chance at getting research experiance. This might hurt me, I am not sure! However, I think they accept people from all different backgrounds because they do want different types of social workers! Don't be hard on yourself, where there is a will there is a way ^_^

19 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey, I did not apply to U of T because to be honest Toronto makes my anxiety sky rocket haha !! But, I think your application sounds great!! Your GPA is unreal, and I think that your experience in a retirement home will serve your application well. Do you want to focus on geriatrics? Everyone is lacking something, very few of us are perfect, if my case I think my number of hours is mediocre but the experiance is great and unique! I come from studio art so I had no chance at getting research experiance. This might hurt me, I am not sure! However, I think they accept people from all different backgrounds because they do want different types of social workers! Don't be hard on yourself, where there is a will there is a way ^_^

Thank you for making me feel better :) I actually want to specialize in mental health & health, that could definitely include geriatrics as well, as I've found their mental health to be somewhat neglected in our society. I think you doing art-based therapy is wonderful, and it definitely makes you stand out as an individual in terms of your application. Research is experience is something we can both gain if it comes down to that, I think it's a valuable asset no matter what.

Lets keep our fingers crossed. Its not over until its over (and if it is, theres always next year :)) 

4 minutes ago, rachberks said:

Thank you for making me feel better :) I actually want to specialize in mental health & health, that could definitely include geriatrics as well, as I've found their mental health to be somewhat neglected in our society. I think you doing art-based therapy is wonderful, and it definitely makes you stand out as an individual in terms of your application. Research is experience is something we can both gain if it comes down to that, I think it's a valuable asset no matter what.

Lets keep our fingers crossed. Its not over until its over (and if it is, theres always next year :)) 

No problem, i'm glad I could help. I am certainly already preparing to make my application better and apply next year. It is hard to know what each schools values but I think  by either taking a 1 year BSW program and or gaining more experience I can be in a better situation. Although I would love to get in, I am kinda planning for the worst case scenario ( I tend to do that haha)

22 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

No problem, i'm glad I could help. I am certainly already preparing to make my application better and apply next year. It is hard to know what each schools values but I think  by either taking a 1 year BSW program and or gaining more experience I can be in a better situation. Although I would love to get in, I am kinda planning for the worst case scenario ( I tend to do that haha)

Good luck to you both, you sound like you each have great experience :) I, too, come from an unconventional background (business) and have done mental health advocacy in business settings as well as volunteering in long-term care, and am equally as passionate about both. I too am thinking of ways to make my application better for if I have to apply again next year, as I definitely can think of tons I can improve on!!

CalendarGirl, which 1-year BSW programs have you looked into specifically? And any thoughts (from anyone here) on the difference in the job market for a BSW vs an MSW?

9 minutes ago, SamSat said:

Good luck to you both, you sound like you each have great experience :) I, too, come from an unconventional background (business) and have done mental health advocacy in business settings as well as volunteering in long-term care, and am equally as passionate about both. I too am thinking of ways to make my application better for if I have to apply again next year, as I definitely can think of tons I can improve on!!

CalendarGirl, which 1-year BSW programs have you looked into specifically? And any thoughts (from anyone here) on the difference in the job market for a BSW vs an MSW?

I am currently waitlisted for a 3 term bsw at Waterloo - the waitlist is tiny ( only 12 ppl) so I am mildly hopeful, also I am going to the school today to talk to someone about doing a 5 term part time bsw. You will definitely get higher paying jobs with a MSW and probably allot more opportunity. I  want to work as a therapist and hopefully integrate art into my practice by running groups and such. However, a BSW opens doors, it will allow you to learn more about social work, get better/more suited references to apply to grad school with. Also you can get more jobs in the social service field in the mean time.

I likely wouldn't depend on a BSW to build a career on, but I think it is a good step towards my ultimate goal of getting an MSW.

Edited by CalendarGirl

18 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

I am currently waitlisted for a 3 term bsw at Waterloo - the waitlist is tiny ( only 12 ppl) so I am mildly hopeful, also I am going to the school today to talk to someone about doing a 5 term part time bsw. You will definitely get higher paying jobs with a MSW and probably allot more opportunity. I  want to work as a therapist and hopefully integrate art into my practice by running groups and such. However, a BSW opens doors, it will allow you to learn more about social work, get better/more suited references to apply to grad school with. Also you can get more jobs in the social service field in the mean time.

I likely wouldn't depend on a BSW to build a career on, but I think it is a good step towards my ultimate goal of getting an MSW.

Thanks so much! That's very helpful. And sounds like you have a solid plan, good luck to you!

22 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey, just wanted to say I am also thinking of one-year BSW at this point. I only applied to UofT's 2 year program, and so far have heard nothing. I'm really discouraged. I'm wondering if it's worth doing the one year BSW and then applying for the MSW? Or should I keep trying for the MSW? Financially, I don't want to make a mistake, but I also don't want to wait year after year, and have a huge chance of not getting into the MSW program. I feel like the BSW increases your chances significantly.  Can anyone comment on this? So maybe I will go that route. I am looking into Waterloo's program as well as Lakehead (Orillia campus). It looks like I will only be able to apply for conditional admission to the Waterloo BSW. I'll have to take several pre-requisite courses. 

Edited by phd2msw

Hi! 

I'm new to this forum and didn't know about ROSI until now. I'm having trouble logging in. Is this a problem on their end or does it mean I haven't been accepted?

I was accepted to Windsor's 2-year program on March 14! Hoping for Toronto or Laurier like many of you!

2 hours ago, phd2msw said:

Hey, just wanted to say I am also thinking of one-year BSW at this point. I only applied to UofT's 2 year program, and so far have heard nothing. I'm really discouraged. I'm wondering if it's worth doing the one year BSW and then applying for the MSW? Or should I keep trying for the MSW? Financially, I don't want to make a mistake, but I also don't want to wait year after year, and have a huge chance of not getting into the MSW program. I feel like the BSW increases your chances significantly.  Can anyone comment on this? So maybe I will go that route. I am looking into Waterloo's program as well as Lakehead (Orillia campus). It looks like I will only be able to apply for conditional admission to the Waterloo BSW. I'll have to take several pre-requisite courses. 

There are even some schools of thought that believe a BSW is more employable because BSW positions are typically more entry level and employers may be reluctant to hire someone with an MSW because they wouldn't stay long.

Also with a BSW, a MSW is only 1 year so you're not actually losing any time.

Hope this was helpful!