Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

2 minutes ago, katkatkat said:

Thanks CalendarGirl!  Sounds like we are on the same page!  I would also like to focus on clinical social work.  UBC-Okanagan focuses on clinical and direct practice social work :) 

amazing! Do you have any advice for future applicants?

4 hours ago, kjackson said:

I'm sorry to hear that, I was really rooting for you! Thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate it :) 

4 hours ago, emilym123 said:

Keep your chin up kjackson, I just received my rejection email for the 2-year clinical stream at Calgary.

I wish you the best of luck and am hoping for the best for you!! :)

I am really sorry to hear that you guys :( 

I have not heard anything...does ANYONE know what this could mean?? 

3 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey people who applied to Laurier what is your experience like? I feel my experience is REALLY unique and highly focused on mental health, but I am feeling soo down because I have 100 hours short of what they want. I am beginning to feel as if I shouldn't have even bothered getting my hopes up by applying.

Hey! I ended my hours at like 2820 or something since then it's now well over the 3000 (did they ask for for 3000 or 3500?). But I'm also in the same boat where I think I have really good/unique/interesting experience and I'm really hoping they will ignore this. I mean if you are really in the field doing mental health/social work I can't see being a 100 hours short making or breaking it for you. I hope.

Edited by MSW/MEd

13 minutes ago, MSW/MEd said:

Hey! I ended my hours at like 2820 or something since then it's now well over the 3000 (did they ask for for 3000 or 3500?). But I'm also in the same boat where I think I have really good/unique/interesting experience and I'm really hoping they will ignore this. I mean if you are really in the field doing mental health/social work I can't see being a 100 hours short making or breaking it for you. I hope.

Hey yay! You have made me feel allot better, thank you! I have heard they are REALLY hours focused... last year I read all of this stuff about them not accepting less than 4000. But, as you said that seems kinda short sighted... considering some people applying are coming straight from undergrad. I am a support worker at a residential home, I provide emotional support and distribute medication to individuals who suffer from schizophrenia, I also teach therapeutic art classes to  individuals who suffer from severe mental illness and have shadowed an art therapist who worked with women who have endured sexual abuse. I am not sure if that counts as being "in the field" haha. What is your experience like?

Edited by CalendarGirl

3 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey yay! You have made me feel allot better, thank you! I have heard they are REALLY hours focused... last year I read all of this stuff about them not accepting less than 4000. But, as you said that seems kinda short sighted... considering some people applying are coming straight from undergrad. I am a support worker at a residential home, I provide emotional support and distribute medication to individuals who suffer from schizophrenia, I also teach therapeutic art classes to  individuals who suffer from severe mental illness and have shadowed an art therapist who worked with women who have endured sexual abuse. I am not sure if that counts as being "in the field" haha. What is your experience like?

Sorry to answer your question, they state on their website that "a competitive applicant will have over 3500 hours of social service experience"

1 hour ago, yololalola said:

Hi everyone!

Has anyone heard back from York's 2 year MSW program or have any idea when to expect to hear back? I know one of my friends already got rejected but she thinks it was because of her marks. 

Goodluck to everyone!

Did she get rejected from the two year program? I'm still waiting for a response! I literally check MyFile every hour! 

Fingers crossed! 

Goodluck!! 

33 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Well if I could update my application I would be at 3500 haha. 

Your experience sounds amazing, interesting and diverse. I actually do think the 3500 hours is to dissuade people coming right out of undergrad I think they want people with experience that they can apply to the curriculum. 

I have been living and working in Northwestern ON as a caseworker for at risk youth who are in the youth justice system. I work with youth who come from northern reserves, many have spent time in care, lots of mental health, FASD, substance abuse, developmental disorders. I work to have them take accountability, responsibility for their actions, do a lot of counselling (have actually been moving towards art therapy!), reintegrating into the community and connecting/transitioning them throughout services. I love it but would really like to develop my clinical skills to create a more well-rounded therapeutic approach. 

I hope it's enough! 

Edited by MSW/MEd

5 minutes ago, MSW/MEd said:

Well if I could update my application I would be at 3500 haha. 

Your experience sounds amazing, interesting and diverse. I actually do think the 3500 hours is to dissuade people coming right out of undergrad I think they want people with experience that they can apply to the curriculum. 

I have been living and working in Northwestern ON as a caseworker for at risk youth who are in the youth justice system. I work with youth who come from northern reserves, many have spent time in care, lots of mental health, FASD, substance abuse, developmental disorders. I work to have them take accountability, responsibility for their actions, do a lot of counselling (have actually been moving towards art therapy!), reintegrating into the community and connecting/transitioning them throughout services. I love it but would really like to develop my clinical skills to create a more well-rounded therapeutic approach. 

I hope it's enough! 

Hey,

Thank you for your kindness. Unfortunately since the art classes I have taught are not very long (1-2 hours) I have only accumulated a limited amount of hours in this, I hope that doesn't look bad on me.  There is so much to consider!! Your experience sounds great!! WOW, what is your undergrad in? I have had a really hard time getting jobs in the field because my degree is in Studio Art. I think they are really looking for people with Northern perspectives ! Amazing that you are moving toward art therapy, I have really never seen a therapy that works better with the people I work with. Even the most severe cases of schizophrenia that I have seen have responded amazingly well to art therapy. Maybe ( fingers crossed) we can work together at Laurier developing alternative therapies haha!!

53 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey,

Thank you for your kindness. Unfortunately since the art classes I have taught are not very long (1-2 hours) I have only accumulated a limited amount of hours in this, I hope that doesn't look bad on me.  There is so much to consider!! Your experience sounds great!! WOW, what is your undergrad in? I have had a really hard time getting jobs in the field because my degree is in Studio Art. I think they are really looking for people with Northern perspectives ! Amazing that you are moving toward art therapy, I have really never seen a therapy that works better with the people I work with. Even the most severe cases of schizophrenia that I have seen have responded amazingly well to art therapy. Maybe ( fingers crossed) we can work together at Laurier developing alternative therapies haha!!

Sounds like a plan! :) 

I don't know how long you have been teaching the art classes but I don't think its about hours (or it shouldn't be)- I think it shows compassion and empathy and the ability to transform your degree into something that helps people and contributes something positive. Art therapy is such a wonderful way to express yourself without having to use your words! I have so many clients with developmental delays that their ability to articulate verbally can be a struggle. Have been doing different projects about counteracting negative self-talk etc. It's a great way to escape, and also to start and finish something, it really is a great tool! Have you considered completing any of the art therapy certificate programs? I hear Toronto has an amazing one. I majored in psychology. 

10 hours ago, msw0913 said:

Did she get rejected from the two year program? I'm still waiting for a response! I literally check MyFile every hour! 

Fingers crossed! 

Goodluck!! 

Hey! I just called York, and they said that results for the two year program will come out in April. Waitlisted students can get results as late as August. It will show up in MyFile first . Good luck!

3 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Does anyone know why schools do "rounds" of admissions?

i was under the impression it was to see how many accept from the first round, and then they go from there. I could be wrong though!

Good luck everyoneB) if you are on the waiting list of York MSW, don't panic, you still have a really good chance get into the program!!!

2 hours ago, msw0913 said:

Ugh i'm dreading this wait! April needs to come already. I got accepted into another masters programs and I need to give a response by April 1st. I hope acceptances are before that.

Congrats! where were you accepted? That must be a nice relief! Maybe contact the schools and tell them the situation, let them know that they are you first choice  ( if they are) and you would like to know your status at there schools before accepting or declining another offer. OR contact the school that has accepted you and ask for an extension... that might go over less well.

On 3/16/2016 at 7:38 PM, kirsten107 said:

I'm wondering the same thing! Fingers crossed that it just means they haven't gotten to it yet.. 

Windsor is notifying their first round picks with offer packages being mailed out in a few days.

9 hours ago, amcguirk said:

Has anyone received any acceptance or rejection letters from Ryerson?

I got into ryerson...i recieved the call about 2 weeks ago then an email confirming details. 

On 3/17/2016 at 11:05 PM, msw0913 said:

Fingers crossed! 

Goodluck!! 

Yeah, apparently a bit after she applied they rejected her

4 hours ago, katkatkat said:

I am really hoping for today or Monday!  Fingers and toes crossed! 

omg, I feel like I have been waiting for laurier for foreeeveeerrrrr!!! The waiting is the worst part of applying. I wish they could just tell you if you don't make the cut and rip off the bandaid fast haha!! I've already been waitlisted for Waterloo and to me that just feels like being asked to wait even longer hahaha

5 hours ago, katkatkat said:

I am really hoping for today or Monday!  Fingers and toes crossed! 

doesn't look like it's today :( the stress is killing. the good thing is we can have a stress-free weekend knowing we won't hearing until at least Monday.