Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

18 minutes ago, Sarah Erwin said:

Thanks!!! Really hoping to hear from them, their program looks amazing. 

Hey, I know me too! I'm super nervous though, because I don't quite have 3500 hours of experience ( i have 3400 hours) lol. So i'm not feeling that confident.

21 minutes ago, Mirco said:

Was wondering if anyone has applied to Mcmaster MSW advanced standing, if so have you heard anything?

I went to Mac for my BSW, have friends on facebook that got into their MSW there and there were offers out I believe 2 weeks ago.

For anyone waiting to hear from Waterloo, I read in the offer that you have 10 days to accept before they offer your spot to someone else. Not sure that will offset the urge to refresh Quest a zillion times but thought i'd share in case anyone wants to give themselves peace of mind as they wait!

1 hour ago, Mcmaster5 said:

I went to Mac for my BSW, have friends on facebook that got into their MSW there and there were offers out I believe 2 weeks ago.

For anyone waiting to hear from Waterloo, I read in the offer that you have 10 days to accept before they offer your spot to someone else. Not sure that will offset the urge to refresh Quest a zillion times but thought i'd share in case anyone wants to give themselves peace of mind as they wait!

This is good to know, thanks!!

Mack and CalendarGirl, any news on Waterloo?

my account still has not changed. Not quite sure how to interpret this I'm still hopeful but very nervous.

Hopefully others have had some good news!!

1 hour ago, CB_MSW said:

This is good to know, thanks!!

Mack and CalendarGirl, any news on Waterloo?

my account still has not changed. Not quite sure how to interpret this I'm still hopeful but very nervous.

Hopefully others have had some good news!!

I was waitlisted :(

Still checked quest a few times to see if they changed their minds but no such luck. My fingers are crossed still but trying to be realistic. 

32 minutes ago, Mack said:

I was waitlisted :(

Still checked quest a few times to see if they changed their minds but no such luck. My fingers are crossed still but trying to be realistic. 

Sorry to hear that :(  

hopefully someone gives up their seat and you get some good news!

Can I ask when your status changed?

1 hour ago, CB_MSW said:

Sorry to hear that :(  

hopefully someone gives up their seat and you get some good news!

Can I ask when your status changed?

Friday around 11am. From what I've seen Friday was waitlist, the weekend was denials and Monday/Tuesday seemed to be the admits. My fingers are crossed for you. Is Waterloo your first choice?

It was the only place I applied to

11 minutes ago, Mack said:

Friday around 11am. From what I've seen Friday was waitlist, the weekend was denials and Monday/Tuesday seemed to be the admits. My fingers are crossed for you. Is Waterloo your first choice?

Awe, thanks!

Yup! It's the only program I applied to too. 

I think I'll call the school tomorrow. It's odd that my status hasn't changed. Now I'm worried that I missed something and my application was never considered. Seriously, who would have thought the period before grad school would be so stressful! :mellow:

On 08/03/2016 at 0:19 AM, pinsandneedles said:

Is MUN sending them out this week????

Sorry! That's my wishful thinking! I've been accepted to Dal and have to confirm acceptance by the 15th so hoping I hear from MUN before that.

Someone on here suggested most likely end of March though! 

58 minutes ago, CJM101 said:

Sorry! That's my wishful thinking! I've been accepted to Dal and have to confirm acceptance by the 15th so hoping I hear from MUN before that.

Someone on here suggested most likely end of March though! 

I don't think waiting is a skill I possess, or one that I do well.... congrats on Dal!

16 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

Did you find out any new info about when they will be giving out acceptances?

no she didn't say, sorry! I guess we will just have to wait for those emails ..

Hi everyone,

Advice please!??! I've been working with my BSW for many yrs (16 yr). Finally decided to go back to school. Was accepted into f/t (1 yr) MSW advanced standing at both Dal and Laurier. I live in Vancouver and dont know a great deal about these schools. Any suggestions? Laurier seems quite flexible and progressive, but there seems to be some interesting classes on eco-feminism and environmental SW at Dal. (I've never been out east. Any thoughts?)  Thanks!!

Edited by SW in Vancouver

3 hours ago, SW in Vancouver said:

Hi everyone,

Advice please!??! I've been working with my BSW for many yrs (16 yr). Finally decided to go back to school. Was accepted into f/t (1 yr) MSW advanced standing at both Dal and Laurier. I live in Vancouver and dont know a great deal about these schools. Any suggestions? Laurier seems quite flexible and progressive, but there seems to be some interesting classes on eco-feminism and environmental SW at Dal. (I've never been out east. Any thoughts?)  Thanks!!

I am currently finishing up my BSW at Dal. I love it. I was surprised at how much as Dal is a very big and mostly medically-focused school. However the school of social work is very different. However, saying that, we have many opportunities to collaborate with other students in the core health professionals such as OP, PT, nurses, doctors and pharmacists, through projects and mini courses focused on client-centred health care. The program has a strong, social justice, feminist and anti-oppressive focus. We do a lot of research and critical reflection and we also spend a lot of time considering how we hold power as social workers. The program has helped me to examine me worldview in a very deep way. I have been told the masters program is very similar, although they have higher academic expectations. The BSW was not very clinical at all, but many of the MSW placements are clinical (hospital and community health care based). It is also a small group ( I think only 30 in the MSW) and its a very close-knit community).

To be honest, I have not heard anything about eco-feminism and environmental SW. They are not listed as courses, however they could defiantly be concepts covered in classes.

Hope that helps a bit :)

14 hours ago, Mack said:

Mack! Please do not be too down about being wait listed!! I am sure people WILL choose other  schools and you will end up in the program. This means you were a strong applicant. The program only accepts 30 people, so wait list is still very impressive!

29 minutes ago, CB_MSW said:

My status just changed! I got in!! 

Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone waiting to hear. 

Thats awesome!!! Big Congrats! Are you doing full time or part time?