Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

5 hours ago, wishingonuoft said:

Accepting usually involves the mandatory deposit, they don't count it as an acceptance until they've received the money (I don't think).

Dealing with this issue now. I was accepted to Dalhousie a month ago but MUN is my first choice....have to the 15th to accept Dal and pay a $200 deposit and no word from MUN as of yet. 

Just now, CJM101 said:

Dealing with this issue now. I was accepted to Dalhousie a month ago but MUN is my first choice....have to the 15th to accept Dal and pay a $200 deposit and no word from MUN as of yet. 

Of course...it's a good problem to have though!

1 hour ago, CJM101 said:

Of course...it's a good problem to have though!

It is a good problem to have! If you make the mandatory deposit - can you still withdraw your acceptance and accept another one? but be out the $$$? 

I was so excited to get an early acceptance but now I wish it came a little later. 

On 3/11/2016 at 8:21 PM, MSW/MEd said:

Question: 
When waiting to hear back does anyone know what to do with offers they have already received? I have received an offer from a school (yay!), however, it isn't my first choice and I am concerned about letting it expire and then not getting accepted anywhere else. Does anyone else have this concern? Is it possible to accept an offer and then withdraw if you get accepted elsewhere?

Hey there,

I recommend responding the e-mail offer and inquire about an extension to the acceptance deadline. I think most schools are flexible and recognize that students are waiting to hear from other schools.. One school allowed me 6 weeks extension after some back and forth discussion and another school has allowed me 4 weeks more time to decide.

Good luck!

5 hours ago, Phogan said:

Hey there,

I recommend responding the e-mail offer and inquire about an extension to the acceptance deadline. I think most schools are flexible and recognize that students are waiting to hear from other schools.. One school allowed me 6 weeks extension after some back and forth discussion and another school has allowed me 4 weeks more time to decide.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the info! I will try that! 

Hi Everyone,

Congrats to all those who have already been accepted!  For those who are still anxiously awaiting decisions, I am with you in the same boat!  U of Windsor doesn't get mentioned too often on here, but I was wondering if anyone knows whether they also have a website for applicants to check the status of their applications online, similar to U of T and Ryerson.  I couldn't find it and when I emailed the admissions coordinator for more information, all that she told me was that my transcript and online application have been received.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, AnnInTO said:

Hi Everyone,

Congrats to all those who have already been accepted!  For those who are still anxiously awaiting decisions, I am with you in the same boat!  U of Windsor doesn't get mentioned too often on here, but I was wondering if anyone knows whether they also have a website for applicants to check the status of their applications online, similar to U of T and Ryerson.  I couldn't find it and when I emailed the admissions coordinator for more information, all that she told me was that my transcript and online application have been received.  Thanks!

Either of this should work if you have a uwindsor ID. https://my.uwindsor.ca/ or uwindsor.ca/sis - You just have to go to view your applications. But I am a former student there so I don't know if you would also have access to these.

Hope this helps!

40 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Refreshing quest endlessly! Can anyone let me know if you people who are accepted into U of Waterloo for the 10 month BSW! Thank youu!! I am so sick of waiting!!! haha The anticipation just get worse with all of the acceptances I see happening here haah !

Ahhh I didn't know they had one of those! I only knew of Lakeheads 1 year BSW which I applied to, and I must say, I do not want to live in Orillia :-P. Good luck! I agree, the waiting game is an endless anxiety attack.

16 minutes ago, Sarah Erwin said:

Ahhh I didn't know they had one of those! I only knew of Lakeheads 1 year BSW which I applied to, and I must say, I do not want to live in Orillia :-P. Good luck! I agree, the waiting game is an endless anxiety attack.

IF all else fails you can always apply to waterloo this summer for the winter semester. Yes, waiting is horrid. I constantly slip between feeling hopeless to hopeful.

44 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

IF all else fails you can always apply to waterloo this summer for the winter semester. Yes, waiting is horrid. I constantly slip between feeling hopeless to hopeful.

Oh that's good to know that they have a January start option. Thanks!

I need to make this work this year!

4 minutes ago, Sarah Erwin said:

Oh that's good to know that they have a January start option. Thanks!

I need to make this work this year!

I feel the same girl!! I hope we both get into laurier! Its such a hard place, to know that you are meant for this job but be in such a state of flux... it just feels so out of my hands right now.. but the more schools we apply to the more options we have!!

Edited by CalendarGirl

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a long time but just made an account. I hope to be accepted to U of T's 2 Year MSW starting in the fall, but it doesn't look like I'm anywhere near in the competitive range experience wise after reviewing the thread, and despite an overall good GPA, I received a B in my research methods course. Has anyone been accepted who has lacked experience but has had stellar references? Any little shred of hope would do, right now...

4 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

I feel the same girl!! I hope we both get into laurier! Its such a hard place, to know that you are meant for this job but be in such a state of flux... it just feels so out of my hands right now.. but the more schools we apply to the more options we have!!

Yeah definitely! I'm feeling like I should have applied to more schools, but the application process was just so expensive and I ran out of money :(. I only managed Laurier, York, and Lakehead (which cost me over 300 dollars for that one application). It's okay, we'll get there eventually... determination is key! 

4 hours ago, TheGrapefruit said:

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a long time but just made an account. I hope to be accepted to U of T's 2 Year MSW starting in the fall, but it doesn't look like I'm anywhere near in the competitive range experience wise after reviewing the thread, and despite an overall good GPA, I received a B in my research methods course. Has anyone been accepted who has lacked experience but has had stellar references? Any little shred of hope would do, right now...

Hey! I also applied there in the 2 year program and (also) haven't heard back. From what I gather they take all kinds of people with different backgrounds, marks (within range of their cut-off) and experience, paid or voluntary. From what I learned, they are really holistic in their assessment of applicants. So you could have a B in you research course, with killer references and an awesome resume. You just never know. When I applied in Dec., I wasn't finished my research methods course so they won't see my mark for it. I think this makes my chances a little weaker. Hang in there and don't give up hope yet. I'm trying not to, despite occasionally feeling negative about my chances. 

44 minutes ago, phd2msw said:

Hey! I also applied there in the 2 year program and (also) haven't heard back. From what I gather they take all kinds of people with different backgrounds, marks (within range of their cut-off) and experience, paid or voluntary. From what I learned, they are really holistic in their assessment of applicants. So you could have a B in you research course, with killer references and an awesome resume. You just never know. When I applied in Dec., I wasn't finished my research methods course so they won't see my mark for it. I think this makes my chances a little weaker. Hang in there and don't give up hope yet. I'm trying not to, despite occasionally feeling negative about my chances. 

Good luck guys!! It is hard to stay positive and confident in the face of grad school admissions. I am feeling the same. What is meant to be will be. xx

54 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey guys,

I have been waitlisted to BSW  at Waterloo... I feel kinda shitty... but does anyone know how many people are on this waitlist and if anyone gets off typically!?

Thank you.

Hi Calendar Girl

From one waitlistee to another, hugs! 

Secondly lots of people in my current cohort came from the waitlist. If you're so inclined speak to the faculty regarding the pt option which you can do in only five terms. My friend was waitlisted last year and went that route and she's very happy! 

7 minutes ago, Mack said:

Hi Calendar Girl

From one waitlistee to another, hugs! 

Secondly lots of people in my current cohort came from the waitlist. If you're so inclined speak to the faculty regarding the pt option which you can do in only five terms. My friend was waitlisted last year and went that route and she's very happy! 

Hey Mack!

Yes BIG HUGS haha waitlist is bittersweet, you know that they like you, you know that you are doing things right, but you are not in yet! haha

I am weighing the cost and benefits of applying to the bsw for winter semester. It is nice that they have this option! I was also thinking it would give me some time to work on perquisites as well. Honestly, I believe that this was my weakest and most rushed application so I am trying to feel okay about it. Do you think I could contact the faculty before I apply to the winter semester and ask them which parts of my application were weak?

Just received an email from Sonya at Lakehead:

Hello applicants to the 1 Year HBSW Program,

Just a quick update to let you know that the admission decisions will be released by April 15th at the latest. Please monitor your Lakehead email account as I will be posting an email once the decisions go to the Undergraduate Admissions Office for coding to your myInfo. Official letters will be sent via Canada Post.

Full details will be included in the next email.

Has anyone heard back from University of Windsor? for the 2 year MSW program. i called them today and was told that they did their first round and responded to people and that the rest should hear back by end of march/early april. 

Does anyone know if you haven't heard back by now it means its probably a no?

Edited by Sara22