Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

1 hour ago, Mcmaster5 said:

Thats awesome!!! Big Congrats! Are you doing full time or part time?

Thanks! I'll be part time. what about you?

2 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

Congrats, proud of you!!!! I applied to the BSW at Waterloo... so I assume I will be waiting awhile haha 

Thanks!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you hear something soon!!

1 hour ago, CB_MSW said:

Thanks! I'll be part time. what about you?

Thanks!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you hear something soon!!

Im part time too so well be classmates :) 

34 minutes ago, Mcmaster5 said:

Im part time too so well be classmates :) 

That's exciting! 

My only glitch is that I couldn't view my offer. I found all the information, I think, that I need to do/send but I'm wondering if the transcripts need to be addressed to someone specifically. Did your offer give a name or just Graduate Studies Office? 

23 minutes ago, CB_MSW said:

That's exciting! 

My only glitch is that I couldn't view my offer. I found all the information, I think, that I need to do/send but I'm wondering if the transcripts need to be addressed to someone specifically. Did your offer give a name or just Graduate Studies Office? 

My advice is view it on a comp not your phone as it didnt load all 4 pages of the offer and what you need to do until i printed it (was 4 pages total), didnt see it viewing on phone as only loads first page. You have to send transcripts to needles hall the full address is on one of the later pages. You need to copy and personalize some text and email it within ten days (commitment to attend summer institute and letter u have to get employer to sign off on or sign yourself if self employed like me to rennison administrator. If you cant get it to load i can send u address and link with next steps if need be.

Edited by Mcmaster5

11 hours ago, WaitingWaiting4 said:

I am currently finishing up my BSW at Dal. I love it. I was surprised at how much as Dal is a very big and mostly medically-focused school. However the school of social work is very different. However, saying that, we have many opportunities to collaborate with other students in the core health professionals such as OP, PT, nurses, doctors and pharmacists, through projects and mini courses focused on client-centred health care. The program has a strong, social justice, feminist and anti-oppressive focus. We do a lot of research and critical reflection and we also spend a lot of time considering how we hold power as social workers. The program has helped me to examine me worldview in a very deep way. I have been told the masters program is very similar, although they have higher academic expectations. The BSW was not very clinical at all, but many of the MSW placements are clinical (hospital and community health care based). It is also a small group ( I think only 30 in the MSW) and its a very close-knit community).

To be honest, I have not heard anything about eco-feminism and environmental SW. They are not listed as courses, however they could defiantly be concepts covered in classes.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Thanks! That does help. And you're right, the eco-feminism and environmental SW are concepts covered in SLWK 6385, not  full courses in themselves. I'm glad your getting so much from the program and able to engage in critical reflection and examination. Good luck with whatever is next!

2 hours ago, Mcmaster5 said:

My advice is view it on a comp not your phone as it didnt load all 4 pages of the offer and what you need to do until i printed it (was 4 pages total), didnt see it viewing on phone as only loads first page. You have to send transcripts to needles hall the full address is on one of the later pages. You need to copy and personalize some text and email it within ten days (commitment to attend summer institute and letter u have to get employer to sign off on or sign yourself if self employed like me to rennison administrator. If you cant get it to load i can send u address and link with next steps if need be.

I just checked on my desktop with no luck. 

Would you be okay with messaging me the link? I would be so grateful! 

On 3/9/2016 at 2:14 PM, Mirco said:
53 minutes ago, CB_MSW said:

I just checked on my desktop with no luck. 

Would you be okay with messaging me the link? I would be so grateful! 

Was wondering if anyone has applied to Mcmaster MSW advanced standing, if so have you heard anything?

Sent you the link :)

I went to Mac for my BSW, have friends on facebook that got into their MSW there and there were offers out I believe 2 weeks ago.

For anyone waiting to hear from Waterloo, I read in the offer that you have 10 days to accept before they offer your spot to someone else. Not sure that will offset the urge to refresh Quest a zillion times but thought i'd share in case anyone wants to give themselves peace of mind as they wait!

did anyone apply to u of t  MSW in the past and not get in? If so, what does it say on ROSI (not admitted, waitlisted, etc.)? I doubt the sgs will update anytime soon with "decision made"

2 hours ago, Sam.E said:

did anyone apply to u of t  MSW in the past and not get in? If so, what does it say on ROSI (not admitted, waitlisted, etc.)? I doubt the sgs will update anytime soon with "decision made"

If your a past uoft student it just says active and financially cancelled. If you are not it doesn't say anything. Show up blank. Sgs updates at least 1-2 weeks later than Rosi. 

8 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

Oh my gosh! I must admit I am jealous of everyone who is already hearing back!! APRIL COME SOONER!!

Waiting is so hard!

maybe they'll make their decisions sooner and you won't have to wait that long. Fingers crossed!!

Question: 
When waiting to hear back does anyone know what to do with offers they have already received? I have received an offer from a school (yay!), however, it isn't my first choice and I am concerned about letting it expire and then not getting accepted anywhere else. Does anyone else have this concern? Is it possible to accept an offer and then withdraw if you get accepted elsewhere?

1 minute ago, MSW/MEd said:

Question: 
When waiting to hear back does anyone know what to do with offers they have already received? I have received an offer from a school (yay!), however, it isn't my first choice and I am concerned about letting it expire and then not getting accepted anywhere else. Does anyone else have this concern? Is it possible to accept an offer and then withdraw if you get accepted elsewhere?

Congratulations on the other offer! Out of curiosity, was it OISE you hear back from?

As for your question, you can email the schools you haven't yet heard back from, let them know the last date you can accept the other offer by, and see if they can email you a response earlier. Sometimes they are willing to accommodate the applicant

1 hour ago, Applicant#1000 said:

Congratulations on the other offer! Out of curiosity, was it OISE you hear back from?

As for your question, you can email the schools you haven't yet heard back from, let them know the last date you can accept the other offer by, and see if they can email you a response earlier. Sometimes they are willing to accommodate the applicant

Thanks! I wish it was OISE, I hear they are usually one of the last to send out their responses. It was UNBC for the MEd. 

Okay, that is good to know! I wish everything came out all on the same day! 

12 hours ago, MSW/MEd said:

Question: 

I had the same problem. I got accepted to my second choice early on and didn't think I would hear from my first choice before the end of the waiting period. I accepted the second choice because I didn't want to end up not going anywhere! When I was accepted to the one I really wanted I immediately emailed the school that I had already accepted and told them that in the end I had to turn down the offer. I think with some schools if you have put down a deposit you might loose it but otherwise I think they expect that to happen to a certain extent. They were really understanding and thanked me for letting them know as soon as possible. 

I would wait until the end of the waiting period just in case you do hear in time and email the school you are waiting on, but otherwise it makes sense to not risk your future. You might withhold a spot from someone else for a couple of weeks but you also might just be holding on to your own spot. 

Edited by smoresun

i would accept the offer now but dont put down a payment for your spot yet. Just incase you do get into your first or second choice but if you dont at least you already accepted somewhere.

4 hours ago, soapaddict said:

i would accept the offer now but dont put down a payment for your spot yet. Just incase you do get into your first or second choice but if you dont at least you already accepted somewhere.

Accepting usually involves the mandatory deposit, they don't count it as an acceptance until they've received the money (I don't think).

On March 11, 2016 at 8:02 PM, avocadokween said:

Got an acceptance letter from U of T (2 yr program) in the mail today! 

Congrats :lol: