Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

5 hours ago, Sbrail2 said:

Does anyone else find it utterly moronic that American's admissions committee hasn't even convened yet and its already after the deadline? So glad I wasted the money to send my GRE and apply.

Same about ucr. No response.

8 hours ago, fbeyza said:

Got an acceptance from ucr with dean's distinguished fellowship but i could not understand its details. Can Anyone who accepted the offer from ucr explain this financial package to me?

Congrats! I will be attending UCR this Fall. You could always email Professor Indridason, he is more than willing to answer any questions!

On 4/25/2016 at 7:33 AM, fbeyza said:

Got an acceptance from ucr with dean's distinguished fellowship but i could not understand its details. Can Anyone who accepted the offer from ucr explain this financial package to me?

Congratulations, I'm part of the incoming cohort as well. My understanding is that most at UCR get a stipend the first year, but all future funding is tied to TAships. As finalsenator pointed out though I'd contact the department to get the specifics of your case. 

9 hours ago, Frank Knight said:

Congratulations, I'm part of the incoming cohort as well. My understanding is that most at UCR get a stipend the first year, but all future funding is tied to TAships. As finalsenator pointed out though I'd contact the department to get the specifics of your case. 

Thank you for the answer. I am an international student but i have been in claremont for exchange study. I know how expensive riverside is. Do you think that first year's stipend is enough to survive? 

5 hours ago, fbeyza said:

Thank you for the answer. I am an international student but i have been in claremont for exchange study. I know how expensive riverside is. Do you think that first year's stipend is enough to survive? 

You can get a nice room in a house for $350 or lower, you can find a decent apartment for $350-$500, and food is pretty inexpensive too.  Cost of living there is extremely low.  As long as you don't try to live in the LA area and commute in, you'll be fine.

6 hours ago, fbeyza said:

Riverside is cheap in my opinion. Mind you, I'm from the urban core of Los Angeles so I have a skewed perception of what's affordable; I pay $1,600 in LA for rent. Rents in Riverside are $300-500 depending on whether you get a room mate or live alone. UCR students can ride the transit system for free, so transportation costs are low. UC tuition includes health coverage, so that's another cost you wouldn't have to worry about. I suspect you could survive on $600-700 monthly if you lived frugally. Getting a car, going out to drink, etc. etc. would obviously increase your costs but that'd be on you to budget.

If you're considering between UCR or Claremont I'd recommend the former. The ranking is about the same and they're both close to one another physically. However Claremont has a reputation for being stingy on graduate funding. Which I find weird since they're a private university. Plus attending UCR gives you access to the resources of the UC system, including inter-library loans and potentially taking courses at other campuses later on. I'd only recommend Claremont if you feel your fit there is better than at UCR. 

Here are their respective placement records: UCR, Claremont

I believe you have an offer from Kentucky as well no? Admittedly I know little about Kentucky, so I can't help in comparing it to UCR/Claremont. 

3 hours ago, Frank Knight said:

Riverside is cheap in my opinion. Mind you, I'm from the urban core of Los Angeles so I have a skewed perception of what's affordable; I pay $1,600 in LA for rent. Rents in Riverside are $300-500 depending on whether you get a room mate or live alone. UCR students can ride the transit system for free, so transportation costs are low. UC tuition includes health coverage, so that's another cost you wouldn't have to worry about. I suspect you could survive on $600-700 monthly if you lived frugally. Getting a car, going out to drink, etc. etc. would obviously increase your costs but that'd be on you to budget.

If you're considering between UCR or Claremont I'd recommend the former. The ranking is about the same and they're both close to one another physically. However Claremont has a reputation for being stingy on graduate funding. Which I find weird since they're a private university. Plus attending UCR gives you access to the resources of the UC system, including inter-library loans and potentially taking courses at other campuses later on. I'd only recommend Claremont if you feel your fit there is better than at UCR. 

Here are their respective placement records: UCR, Claremont

I believe you have an offer from Kentucky as well no? Admittedly I know little about Kentucky, so I can't help in comparing it to UCR/Claremont. 

Such a detailed answer! Yep i got an acceptance from UKY but i was waitlisted in urbana champaign and ucr. I took a risk and rejected uky. Btw claremont is awful when it comes to fund the students. I learnt it from the hard way i consider my $100 as a waste:(

8 hours ago, fbeyza said:

Such a detailed answer! Yep i got an acceptance from UKY but i was waitlisted in urbana champaign and ucr. I took a risk and rejected uky. Btw claremont is awful when it comes to fund the students. I learnt it from the hard way i consider my $100 as a waste:(

Yeah, I really don't get why Claremont is like that. Their graduate rankings overall are okay, but unless they fund their graduate students I don't see how they expect to rise any higher. 

But yeah, congratulations on the offer. UIUC seems to have a substantially higher rank, so if you get off the wait list there I'd definitely choose them. However UCR is still in a decent ranking and cost effective if that doesn't work out.