Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

10 hours ago, Birdie said:

10 years ago when I applied to AU SIS masters program, I think I didn't hear until right around April 1.

How likely do you think it is that a university say american releases it acceptances for PhD program and it doesnt get updates on results survey page because none of the 10 or 15 guys follow the survey page or dont feel appropriate doing it? 

On 3/15/2016 at 3:59 AM, Syas said:

Anyone considering to decline an offer from the UIUC in comparative? It turns out that I am currently in the #1 slot in the waitlist for comparative.

Edit: Could someone also inform me about their financial package? Thanks.

I really hope that you will be admitted from the wait list. 

Did you hear that you were in the official wait list? I am not sure whether they have both official and unofficial wait lists. 

1 hour ago, Birdie said:

Still no word from Georgetown or George Mason. Leaving in a trip tomorrow (for 12 days!) and was really hoping to know before then.

There are two recent rejections on the results listing, one from today and the other from yesterday. Could be that they're finally rolling them out, but mine is also still listed as "submitted."

5 hours ago, meteora said:

I really hope that you will be admitted from the wait list. 

Did you hear that you were in the official wait list? I am not sure whether they have both official and unofficial wait lists. 

Official.

3 hours ago, Birdie said:

Finally heard from Georgetown (who sends an e-mail at 5 pm on a Friday? Brutal). Outright rejection.

I've still heard nothing...I feel like I'm waitlisted or something. That or they've just forgotten. What letter does your last name start with? Maybe they're slowly releasing them alphabetically.

11 hours ago, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

I've still heard nothing...I feel like I'm waitlisted or something. That or they've just forgotten. What letter does your last name start with? Maybe they're slowly releasing them alphabetically.

Last name starts with "T"

I'm trying to convince myself that a March 18th rejection means I juuuuuuuuuust missed out and I made it damn hard for Georgetown to make that decision to reject me.

5 hours ago, Birdie said:

Last name starts with "T"

I'm trying to convince myself that a March 18th rejection means I juuuuuuuuuust missed out and I made it damn hard for Georgetown to make that decision to reject me.

Damn. Mine starts with K. How bizarre. This process is just...I've lost count of how many times I've rolled my eyes or wanted to bang my head against a wall.

On March 17, 2016 at 9:14 AM, yasir8959 said:

Hello all. As the season draws to a close, and many people getting offers from many places, please dont forget to update funding information at: 

http://www.phdstipends.com/

It will go a long way to help a lot of people in many admission cycles to come.

I'll probably add some but, just curious, why do you think it will "go a long way to help a lot of people"? At least in my opinion, it would have been nice to know stipend info in advance and I was certainly curious about it, but it wouldn't have had an impact on my applications... especially since most schools seem to give out stipends that provide a similar standard of living given the COL in the specific city.

54 minutes ago, ultraultra said:

I'll probably add some but, just curious, why do you think it will "go a long way to help a lot of people"? At least in my opinion, it would have been nice to know stipend info in advance and I was certainly curious about it, but it wouldn't have had an impact on my applications... especially since most schools seem to give out stipends that provide a similar standard of living given the COL in the specific city.

In my case this info is very helpful for 2 reasons:

- Actually, stipends do differ a lot and even twofold differences adjusted for cost of living happen. I wouldn't have applied to one of my schools if I knew what kind of stipends they offer (think California...) Sadly I've waisted a lot of money on this application

- Some universities provide different stipends to different candidates - that means that there is space to negotiate the stipend, which is something very useful to know

9 hours ago, ultraultra said:

I think stipends are not tagged with COL as reflected by living wage ratio on that website. It gives one a good estimate what one is getting him/her self into because five years is a very long time. And considering financial details are very important and should be incorporated in decision making because living five years being financially stressed would be horrible!

I was accepted to Kent State in February. The letter I received stated that I would receive more information regarding my acceptance later and there was no information on funding included. Has anyone else been accepted to Kent State and hasn't heard anything about funding either?

Also, I saw someone post on the results page that they have been accepted with funding. If that person is here, can they tell me if that was listed on their original acceptance letter or if the funding information arrived later?

On 3/10/2016 at 5:38 PM, ultraultra said:

How are everyone's visits/decision-making processes going?

I posted this on UCSD/GPS thread, but I'll share it here too. This pretty much summarizes how I feel. Georgetown said no. Fletcher (barely any funding) and GPS (no word on funding yet) said yes. 

Hi, all. Still waiting on the funding info as well. Can't decide between Fletcher and GPS... Reputation and network from Fletcher will put me into 80K+ debt. GPS will be around 10k-20k, if that...

I'm leaning towards GPS because of the following reasons:
1. Strong quantitative skills will be acquired (some schools, I feel, can let you bs your way out of it, but not GPS). GPS will make sure you understand numbers, data, etc;
2. Language training (whatever you region of concentration is you have to speak that language). Other schools are happy as long as you speak additional language besides English. 
3. Money/debt. 

What are you guys thinking about reputation vs money issue? Personally, it is hard to give up a dream going to top-tier school because of money. I went to a great undergrad school, and it's always nice to hear when people recognize and respect the name of the university (don't mean to sound pretentious or anything). GPS is just not that well-known yet: people in the field know about it, but general public not so much. 

I won't be attending Open House event, but let me know if you do. Would love to hear your thoughts and comments.

On 3/19/2016 at 6:20 AM, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

Damn. Mine starts with K. How bizarre. This process is just...I've lost count of how many times I've rolled my eyes or wanted to bang my head against a wall.

I also have not heard from Georgetown. What depresses me is that they had taken about a week to notify the decisions to every rejected applicant (roughly from 3/17 to 3/23). 

6 hours ago, meteora said:

I also have not heard from Georgetown. What depresses me is that they had taken about a week to notify the decisions to every rejected applicant (roughly from 3/17 to 3/23). 

I'm also still waiting to hear from Georgetown. I spoke to admissions last Tuesday and the woman told me that the decisions should be released within a week, so hopefully we will know by tomorrow. Has anyone heard anything from American's SIS PhD program? I'm still waiting to hear back from there as well.

11 hours ago, lstauffer714 said:

I'm also still waiting to hear from Georgetown. I spoke to admissions last Tuesday and the woman told me that the decisions should be released within a week, so hopefully we will know by tomorrow. Has anyone heard anything from American's SIS PhD program? I'm still waiting to hear back from there as well.

A couple of guys heard from them. You are to log onto your SIS portal and results are updated into it. I am waiting to hear from American SPA.

3 hours ago, kaneross said:

Super excited! Going to have my first commencement day at School and first research discussion with my supervisor... Cant wait

Commencement day already? Where are you going? Which school i mean?

8 hours ago, yasir8959 said:

A couple of guys heard from them. You are to log onto your SIS portal and results are updated into it. I am waiting to hear from American SPA.

The applynowsis.american.edu webpage? If so, my status is still listed as submitted 

3 minutes ago, lstauffer714 said:

The applynowsis.american.edu webpage? If so, my status is still listed as submitted 

Yes, exactly that. Thats a good thing. You seem to be on kind of informal waitlist. Because acceptances and rejections are out for I.R on survey page since early February!

1 hour ago, yasir8959 said:

Commencement day already? Where are you going? Which school i mean?

Yeah because I had applied for fall 2015 -- My admission processing took really long and then had to apply for visa as well. Finally about to start. Its ANU Aus