Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

1 minute ago, IndEnth said:

That happened to me last year (yes, my second cylce already), and I was admitted to the MAPSS in March. So that will take a while.

Do you know the rough percentage of the rejects who eventually got admitted to MAPSS? 

Also, congrats on NYU!

Just now, terefere said:

Yes, I only got an e-mail. My application hasn't been updated.

Thanks. Probably a rejection waits me then.

5 minutes ago, worryandhope said:

All I know is that I was rejected from UChicago's phd program last year (this year, too, it seems) and I was accepted in CIR. They key there, though, is money. I know some applicants get full (very rare) or partial tuition scholarships. Key when the cost of their 1 year MA is like 50k.

Thank you 

3 minutes ago, s1994 said:

Do you know the rough percentage of the rejects who eventually got admitted to MAPSS? 

No idea. All I know is that my application last year really wasn't strong (1 admit out of 12, decided against it when I realised it wasn't a good fit after all), and still I was admitted to the MAPSS.

But, as others have pointed out, it's a question of funding. If I had had 27k lying around and nothing else to do, I might have done it. But even with partial funding, I just couldn't afford it.

3 minutes ago, worryandhope said:

Not to be a jerk, but how would I know that? 

In the letter, some programs would include the # of applicants and size of the cohort. 

And yes, you did not sound like a jerk 

37 minutes ago, Syas said:

Why do you assume that not hearing means it will be a rejection? Many people in this forum have this mentality as well. I think it is very early to jump to a conclusion and not hearing is a good indicator at this point.

Oh no, what I meant was that many have been rejected from MSU today. Meaning I'm afraid I'll be on that list as it rolls out! I am, though, of the mind that no news is at least not bad news, and perhaps implies some good news to come. Positive vibes! 

31 minutes ago, worryandhope said:

All I know is that I was rejected from UChicago's phd program last year (this year, too, it seems) and I was accepted in CIR. They key there, though, is money. I know some applicants get full (very rare) or partial tuition scholarships. Key when the cost of their 1 year MA is like 50k.

I graduated from CIR this year so I'll tell you this: most students in the MAPSS program are PhD rejects, and MAPSS accepts around 150 students a year. CIR, on the other hand, has very few people who were admitted after getting rejected from PhD programs; most in CIR apply directly for an MA (Or at least this was the case with my cohort). Also, the CIR cohort is much smaller than MAPSS ~ 40 candidates. 

I just got wait listed by Chicago's phd ad comm, so kinda bummed :( 

1 minute ago, mmwithgradschool said:

Congrats to all NYU admits! Does NYU send out all admissions at the same time??

No clue if they'll send all the e-mails out at the same time. The one I received included my name and (though not very personal) didn't seem to be a mass e-mail.

3 minutes ago, mmwithgradschool said:

Congrats to all NYU admits! Does NYU send out all admissions at the same time??

From the experience with other schools, emails might be spread out over the course of a couple of hours, but all sent within a day. It's only been 1.5 hours since I got mine - there's still lots of hope!

Just now, ultraultra said:

No clue if they'll send all the e-mails out at the same time. The one I received included my name and (though not very personal) didn't seem to be a mass e-mail.

Thank you! That still gave me a little bit of hope. 

I have always been wondering if the admissions sent out notifications according to your field.

Just now, mmwithgradschool said:

I have always been wondering if the admissions sent out notifications according to your field.

My subfield is technically American (really, it's behaviour, but this isn't a subfield most places), if that helps

I gave up hope, probably less than 1% chance of receiving an admission from NYU now. Two rejections, six to go.

Edited by ViniciusMJ

On February 2, 2016 at 8:00 PM, s1994 said:

Hopefully Duke and Berkeley will release their results tomorrow! I have talked to people at Michigan -- Even though the information on their website is accurate, Michigan is probably not going to release the decisions until the end of this week. 

Who did you talk to at Michigan? I just spoke with the department assistant on the phone, and she said "We usually release decisions at the end of February". According to past years results and according to the UM website, this is not accurate, so I am wondering if it was just an agitated, heard-this-question-too-many-times sort of thing. 

1 minute ago, PizzaCat93 said:

Who did you talk to at Michigan? I just spoke with the department assistant on the phone, and she said "We usually release decisions at the end of February". According to past years results and according to the UM website, this is not accurate, so I am wondering if it was just an agitated, heard-this-question-too-many-times sort of thing. 

I'm not that OP but fyi, I e-mailed the grad assistant about something to do with my transcripts early this week and I didn't ask about decision timing but even so she concluded her e-mail by saying they're almost finished reviewing decisions (read: not done) and "anticipate sending notifications in the next few weeks." So this week seems like a stretch by any measure, and I doubt she was misleading you on the phone.

10 minutes ago, PizzaCat93 said:

Usually, Michigan will send out the roster to the department (including grad students) before they notify the applicants. I have talked to someone on the listserv and he said he hasn't heard anything re: grad admissions so far. 

Edited by s1994

pizzacat,

The date on the website is the date that the committee is aiming for. However, the progress can be delayed for various reasons. But I won't be surprised to hear from Michigan either this week or next week, since the committee was initially aiming for 2/5 this year (at least according to the website). I will PM you if I hear something. 

Edited by s1994