Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

What is everyone's perception of chances for those on a waitlist? Of course, I imagine it's more hopeful for lower ranked programs, as there are fewer people declining offers from top 10 programs. But I'm on the Yale wait list, so I'm just curious about the numbers. If anyone has any info, tips, etc. it would be much appreciated!

Friday night, can finally breathe again........... until Monday. It's ridiculous that I still feel as nervous despite the fact that I have an acceptance with a really great funding offer. Will the stress ever go away? And despite the fact that I know we will most likely not receive results over the weekend, I'll still be checking my email like crazy because of course I will. 

4 hours ago, HardPromises said:

What is everyone's perception of chances for those on a waitlist? Of course, I imagine it's more hopeful for lower ranked programs, as there are fewer people declining offers from top 10 programs. But I'm on the Yale wait list, so I'm just curious about the numbers. If anyone has any info, tips, etc. it would be much appreciated!

I am on NYU's waitlist. I contacted the director and was told there are 20 ppl on the waitlist and that my chance of getting off the list is very small (I suppose they overadmit and on top of that there is a waitlist). I was asked implicitly if NYU is my top choice (if so, it makes admission more likely, I think, because they don't want to extend an offer to somebody who will reject it - i think it is better sometimes to give an offer to a second best person and not first best because the first best might reject and at that point second best may have already taken another offer so you are left with a third best applicant). Anyway, the point is - if Yale is your top choice, contact the program and let them know. Tell them that you have other offers, even tell them what schools, but say that you prefer Yale over those schools (if this is the case, of course).

11 hours ago, mwcain said:

Hello all, 

Will anybody admitted to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill be attending the visitation weekend in late March? Just trying to get a count of people I may know.

Thanks!!

I can't attend as I'll be out of town, but it's where I'll be going. I'd love to chat with you or @Hopeful57 if you end up deciding on Chapel Hill as well! I can also answer questions about the area if you PM me - spent large portions of my life nearby.

18 hours ago, ibnbattuta said:

I urge those of you who were given offers of admission to input the stipend information at http://www.phdstipends.com/ .  Knowledge is power.

Just checked this website. A very useful information indeed... Can actually help many prospective students to make decision... Thanks for sharing

8 hours ago, noumenope said:

Has anyone heard from U. Chicago's Political Science dept yet? I haven't, but I think they say first couple weeks of March, if I remember correctly. Seems a bit late compared to other programs; wonder why that is.

I didn't apply there but a few people I met were talking about going to a visit there soon, so I think decisions have been released. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

19 minutes ago, IndEnth said:

I just booked my tickets to the US! Will anyone be at NYU's or UPenn's visitation weekends?

Safe travels! I also wish to attend the visit weekends, but the expenses are beyond the reimbursements that schools provide.

I know, it's a pain when coming from outside the US. I'm only able to afford it because I'm visiting several universities, and they all make a contribution toward cost, and because I'm working full-time and can thus spend some of my own income on it. Lots of other people don't have that option. Like in many other instances during the process, lack of finances is a real hindrance during the decision-making part.

7 hours ago, IndEnth said:

I just booked my tickets to the US! Will anyone be at NYU's or UPenn's visitation weekends?

I want to visit UPenn but it's on a Friday which is very hard to swing with my current schedule. Did you receive any info from them on funding yet? I haven't heard anything from anyone there since my initial acceptance email.

3 hours ago, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

I want to visit UPenn but it's on a Friday which is very hard to swing with my current schedule. Did you receive any info from them on funding yet? I haven't heard anything from anyone there since my initial acceptance email.

I got funding info from Penn a few days ago, generous offer. I'll be there for the visiting day!

On 2/26/2016 at 8:59 PM, Jak220 said:

Has anyone received a rejection from George Mason yet? I see there are two accepted on the forum - wonder if maybe the accepted went out today and yesterday and rejections at a later date?

Yeah, I'm waiting on GMU but for the MA.

Hey Guys, I was accepted to UMD program. I really would like to talk about the program with one of you. Is any of you considering their offer? What do you know about the program? It was my only acceptance until now, but I would like to have as much as possible information before my decision.