Directing MFA 2016? Who else is looking?

voldy24601

God I so get that. Thats how i felt when i thought i wasn't getting an interview- I can handle not getting in but I really want to be able to talk to her!! 

What day is  everyones interview on? 

I am heading up to new haven on the 19th. 

I'm interviewing at New Haven. But it sounds like it's not a big deal if other people are being interviewed by him. I don't know either person (first time applying to Yale or any programs), so I just didn't know if a different person then the one mentioned mattered (sounds like it doesn't).

To be fair, they interviewed 45 people last year and may be interviewing even more this year, so sharing the responsibility seems logical. 

(I'm interviewing in SF on 1/25, but I haven't gotten email details yet)

Edited by bluebane

Thanks for the warm welcome, all!  Sorry to hear about your UCLA experience @aprilcleveland! And thanks, @bluebane for the DePaul insights.

Also, some non-interview related advice for all the folks applying to Yale. See a show at the Yale Cabaret while you're up there! I love that venue. (Bonus: cheap bottles of wine.) 

Does anyone going to the URTAs have a Westin room in Chicago (or know a director that does) with two beds of which they'd like to split the cost? I was going to do a groupon deal for a close by hotel but the Yelp reviews are actually a little...horrifying. I'm clean, not a thief, and I'll give you my mom's phone # for accountability...

April 

Edited by aprilcleveland

I think I'm interviewing with Liz (I thought that they mentioned that when they called me) but I'm interviewing in Chicago on Feb 1st. They haven't sent me the details on the interview yet. I wait with baited breathe.

Wish I could help you out @aprilclevelandbut I'm actually visiting Chicago with the wife (who is auditioning at URTA) and we are using it as a kind of get away for a few days. I'm also sorry to hear about the UCLA stuff. That really sucks.

I too got the E-mail saying "You have an interview, don't ask me what it is, you'll find out." So anyone who wants to meet up in Chicago for coffee or drinks? I would love to just chat. Also, I can't stand Sara Falconer. She's been incredibly rude and unprofessional in most of mine and my wife's interactions with her. It's bad enough that when I mention I'm going to URTA too other friends they groan and roll their eyes and complain about the experience. Anyone else have a similar experience with her?

Edited by voldy24601

Hope everyone is doing well. Just wanted to chime in on a few things. 

Yale - I am also interviewing with Yura. Got an email last week with details. From what I can tell, not everyone always interviews with Liz Diamond. I have friends that interviewed before with other professors, so I don't think it necessarily means anything. 

DePaul - I didn't apply their this year (was waitlisted last year). Main reason I didn't apply was because of the money. I had my finalist interview in New York. We were split into groups of two, morning and afternoon session. I checked in and had an information session with the other finalist and Damon Kiely. It was pretty casual, Damon giving us an overview, then we could ask a few questions. Then we both went back in the hall, while Damon talked to the actors. The other candidate went first and directed the scene with actors, I anxiously waited outside. Then it was my turn, while the other candidate waited in the hall. After I directed my scene, Damon interviewed the other candidate, while I waited in the hallway, then it was my turn for my one on one interview. You only have twenty minutes to direct the scene, and they really want you to run it like you would a rehearsal. He says, don't get worried about how far you get. I literally didn't get past one page. And that was fine. I was nervous and rushed the process a bit, got on our feet a bit earlier than I typically would, but wanted to show him how I work on my feet. During my interview he gave me feedback on my directing. He said stuff like, well I would tell you to be more specific and try to get the actors to discover the moments on their own. Which I typically do, but given the time restraint, I wanted to show I could get them to a point of understanding in the room. He then also told me that the actors were used to my approach and said they really liked it - he said this might be more typical for "New York" actors. I wasn't sure exactly how to take that. During my interview, it was a good chance to feel out how the program actually works and if I would be a good fit there. 

Brown - applied last year, only got to the general interview. Was REALLY nervous about my monologue. We spent maybe a minute on it. I did it right away because I wanted to get it out of the way, he gave me a minor adjustment, then we talked about the program and what my ideal program would be. It was relatively short. I appreciated that they take the time to interview everyone, but didn't engage them like I probably should have. If I were to apply this year, I think I would try to discuss more of my ideas of art, rather than just talk about them. I don't know if this would help get to the next step, but would at least have given me a better perspective of the program as a whole. I also enjoyed talking to the moderator who was an alum in the  hall as I waited. From what I could tell Brown and DePaul are very similar programs. 

Also, I am a lady director. 

Hope this info helps. Reading your descriptions of interviews has really helped me prepare and calm my nerves a bit. 

Finally got the Yale confirmation email -- I am indeed interviewing with Liz in San Francisco...

Sounds like Yura will be doing first interviews in New Haven and Liz will be doing first interviews on the road?

@voldy24601 and @aprilcleveland and anyone else from here who will be at the URTAs in Chicago: Let's absolutely meet for a drink! Shall we shoot for a happy hour on Feb. 6th  so we can celebrate being done with interviews?

Oh man I am so jealous of the Chicago meet up! I wish I could join you all.  I just had my Yale interview with Liz today. She really was unbelievably kind and I was  blown away by how specific her questions were- she clearly had read the application very carefully. Totally different vibe from CMU.  Preparing now for Brown this Saturday. Thank you so much for the Brown interview information @nomoredeskjobplease its super helpful to know they give monologue adjustments and that the interviews are so short! 

Hi Guys!

Thought I'd stop lurking and join the conversation.  I've applied to Yale, Washington, CMU, DePaul, and CalArts and am considering adding a couple of the pedagogy programs to my list still. (I'm on the older end of candidates at this point.) Thus far no interview from Yale, did the CMU Skype interview which was terribly awkward (was their alternate 5 years ago - interviews were a mess even then, apparently not much has changed), and am a finalist at both DePaul and CalArts.  Visiting Chicago on the weekend of the 20th and debating where to do the CalArts interview because I have a show in New York that conflicts with their interviews here.  Also, just got an email from Washington that they are hoping to contact folks next week.  Has anyone done the CalArts interview before?  Is there any benefit to going out there vs. going to Chicago?

Thanks and good luck all!

Shoot!! I just missed you I think you were right after me! I was the blond in the brown sweater. I went to the orientation yesterday so i could get home faster in case the MTA would shut down. 

How did it go??

And I forgot do you live in NYC? 

Edited by mwatt

I'm heading off to New Haven for my Yale interview tomorrow, hopefully without bumps in the road since I just dealt with an over two foot snowstorm.

Anyone know any good restaurants, diners, or anything like that around campus? I'm probably going to be arriving pretty early to be safe, and I'm curious if people who've been to New Haven before have recommendations.

Will let you all know how it goes afterwards.

ohh good luck with the travel - I went to Atticus Bookstore before my interview. Its right down the street from the Drama campus and they sever coffee and food.

Have a great time with the interview- Yale is by far the most laid back interview I have had. 

@QuirkyDirector Be sure to stop by the Yale bookstore and pick up a copy of Michael Bloom's "Thinking Like a Director" and a play or two!

Just had my Yale interview with Liz this morning -- her flights to San Francisco got cancelled, so we did an interview over Skype instead, which was a bummer, but I still had a blast talking to her and feel awesome about it.

Next up: URTAs and Boston University application...

@bluebane, I saw this just as I hopped on my Metro-North home, unfortunately.

Really good time. Yura and his interview were great. Asked me some very tough questions, while making me feel very relaxed while doing it. Also makes it a lot about you, and not just your statement. Don't know if I'll make the next round, but to me, good interview.

Liz contexualized Yuri a bit more for me -- he's a Russian director who is a recent addition to the directing faculty and teaches the Year 1 Directing Seminar. Here's his page for anybody curious: http://drama.yale.edu/facstaff/yuri-kordonsky

@aprilcleveland or @voldy24601, have you heard anything from Northwestern yet?

Edited by bluebane

Hi Everyone! I was also at Yale yesterday! And I agree Yuri was wonderful. He challenged my ideas in the best way possible. I thought the interview went well and I said everything I wanted to say...now just have to wait. He said we would hear by Mid February.

Hope everyone on the east coast got to enjoy the snow! Now, I am ready for the gross slush to go away!

@nomoredeskjobplease, when were you there? My interview was at 2 PM yesterday, and I wonder if I saw you around at all or if you had left by then.

Interviewing with Pace today. Still waiting to hear from New School. I'm assuming if Columbia hasn't contacted me at all by now, that I'm out? I haven't heard a single word from them since the December 1st deadline.