Directing MFA 2016? Who else is looking?

voldy24601

@bluebane My Northwestern interview is on March 10th, I'm acting in a show around that time, but I'm fortunate in that I got an understudy. I had to push a little to make it happen, but it all worked out. I'm hoping Northwestern makes a decision soon after so I can weigh my options. I still haven't heard anything from Indiana so I imagine that's out. I sent him an E-mail just touching base and never got a response. That makes me a little sad because when I started looking at grad schools like two years ago Indiana's program was the one that inspired me to really pursue my MFA. Oh well. I can't say I'm terribly surprised. I liked talking to Dale, but we did have a weird conversation where we didn't quite gel and butted heads a good bit. I E-mailed ISU touching base and they said I'm still in consideration and they are hoping to make a decision around the end of Feb.

Keep fighting the good fight friends. 

I got the Carnegie Mellon rejection as well.

So, unless New School takes a sudden interest in me, I will unfortunately not be attending an MFA directing program in 2016. ..at least I got an interview with Yale on my first try? Hopefully I'll do better next year, if the time is right for me to do so. Good luck with anybody else who's still in contention for their programs.

Happy Monday, indeed. I haven't received a rejection or a call from Carnegie, I'm waiting to hear on results from Ohio and DePaul, and I'm heading to UCLA in a couple of days. And I'm on a treadmill right now. 

WOW!!! Hey guys-- I'm so glad that I accidentally stumbled upon this forum! Currently I've been coaching some HS seniors as they audition for all the top Musical Theatre programs and was aware of the college confidential forum that they (and their parents) obsessively use during this intense process. I kept thinking about how I wished there was a forum for MFA Directing applicants to connect and discuss the process and yesterday I happened to come across this forum while looking for something completely unrelated! Reading about all of your experiences as you go through this has been wonderful to read and now I have so many questions! haha

I'm not currently applying for MFA programs for Fall '16-- but I will be starting (year one) of this crazy journey next year, for Fall '17 admittance. I am currently working on a spreadsheet with detailed information  (requirements, deadlines, app. fees, tuition, aid, etc) from the programs that I know for certain I will be applying for; plus information on other schools that I am intrigued by and need to do more research on... modeled after a spreadsheet one of my students mom made as she was applying to 24 ( ! ) MT BFA programs.  I'm trying to get a jump start on my portfolio, reel, website, etc; plus securing recommendation letters while continuing to build my resume and portfolio so that I'm not overwhelmed next fall/winter. I'm a procrastinator and I absolutely can't be with this or risk missing deadlines or turning in subpar materials! I planned on this year being the first year of applying but only applying to my top 3 schools as a way to get a feel for the process (and competition, haha) before going all out for the Fall '17 positions. But working on two big projects this Summer and Fall took up all my time-- then finding out one of my top schools wasn't recruiting this year-- I ultimately decided to wait. 

I've been researching MFA programs since I was an undergrad and have narrowed it down to the schools (I think) I will apply to that feel like the best fit for myself... but there are plenty of other schools that I want to know more about. I have no idea what's a realistic number for how many I should actually apply to that won't be too overwhelming, but I don't want to apply to a smaller amount than what I potentially could have done either. And now after reading this forum, I realize there are programs that were never on my list that seem to be on most of yours-- so I definitely want to do more research on some of them! I believe there are 46ish MFA Directing programs and as I'm sure you all know Baylor U has compiled a list of every program... Going off that list it was easy for me to eliminate a bunch of schools that I know are not the right fit for me, but my list of potential schools is still quite large! 

The Schools I know for sure that I am applying for are: 

Yale

Penn State 

CMU

UCSD

Columbia

Brown/Trinity

BU

*Northwestern (The only reason I'm indecisive over NU being a definite is that I believe they are the only program that still requires the GRE that I am interested in and I don't know if I want to stress about studying for the GRE on top of the application process and working full time). 

The Schools that have been on my list at one time or another but I keep going back and forth on applying to them:

UT- Austin

FSU

Pace

CalArts

Schools I'm intrigued by and want to know more about or *interested in but they will be on their hiatus year for recruiting*:

Washington*

UNC*

Temple*

Indiana U (because of this forum)

DePaul (Again because of this forum.... I never gave them consideration because I'm not a fan of their undergraduate program and the cut process...and when most in Chicago talk about a local MFA program they think of NU)

Brooklyn College

New School

UC-Irvine

UCLA

U Mass- Amherst

and anyone know anything about Virginia Tech? 

I think I've eliminated the other schools completely-- unless any of you think there are programs I should research that aren't listed on any of my lists?! :) 

A little about me i guess... I'm a Director and a Choreographer... I don't only work on musicals though... I actually prefer directing contemporary plays to [most] musicals. I'm a guy in my late 20's; I started out as a Dancer; I have a BFA in Theater with a Directing concentration and a minor in Dance; and I run a small storefront theater company. I'm currently a member of the SDCF Observership programs 2015/2016 class, where I got to observe on a high profile musical; and I am an associate member of SDC. I teach acting and dance as well...

Anyway, I'm so glad I came across this and now I want to read the forums on past years application process! Break a Leg everyone as you find out your status and who knows maybe I''l meet some of you going through the process again next year! I'm extremely excited to get started on this process but I'm dreading it at the same time! 

Cheers!

Edited by Loose.tap.screws

@Loose.tap.screws:

Thanks for saying hi and letting us know what you're thinking about!

If you haven't read it, this article is an interesting read: http://www.theatrebayarea.org/news/news.asp?id=228412

My biggest advice is DO NOT APPLY TO THEM ALL. It's an intense process and you can't possibly follow through on all your options anyway, so do some research and make some hard decisions about what you're looking for. For example -- if you need full funding, cut Columbia and DePaul. What style of program do you want -- conservatory training, like Brown and Yale? Or Make-Your-Own-Degree, like some of the state schools? Do you have any geographic preferences on where you end up? Do you like the shows they've been putting on? Are they trying to push a particular aesthetic? I'd recommend applying to a maximum of 8 schools, and even that is pushing it.

Some quick thoughts about your list:

Yale - Let's be honest, everybody applies to Yale, but nobody gets in. It's an insanely competitive process. You have to be in the top 3 of 400 directors. That doesn't mean you shouldn't apply, but it's probably healthy to adjust your expectations. 

CMU - I had a terrible experience interviewing for these guys. They're pompous, posturing, and have an inflated sense of importance, while at the same time being kind of administratively a mess. They made me fly out to Chicago for an interview and didn't even show up -- no call or anything. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Columbia - No financial aid and they take 6 directors, which makes them a drastic outlier to the other top tier programs.

BU - I'm applying this year for the first time, I'll share more as I know more.

Northwestern - As of 2016, the GRE is no longer required. Rejoice! Also, breathtaking campus.

FSU - I was massively turned off by them when I interviewed for them. You don't direct their MFA actors (who are all working at Asolo) and you don't get to work at Asolo. Plus they have to fund a large portion of their program through safe, community-focused work. Basically, imagine interning at a community theatre for three years.

CalArts - Sure, if they fit your aesthetic. If you apply to the URTAs, they'll make you apply directly to them as well, btw.

Washington - Seems like an amazing program.

Temple - They seem really cool. Had a great interview with them. They'll be back recruiting in 2018, I believe.

Indiana - My favorite! 1 director a year, top-ranked school for designers, lots of collaboration with playwrights and MFA actors, great campus and facilities, warm faculty.

DePaul - It's a great option, but their funding is terrible. If you can afford to go $100k in debt for your MFA, I'd keep them high on your list. Gorgeous facilities, on par with Northwestern for reputation.

UC-Irvine - Interesting program. My friend got in last year and is loving it. Jane Page seems really lovely.

UCLA - Funding is sketchy, and I didn't love the vibe, but could be the right fit for somebody.

Hi @Loose.tap.screws. Obviously, what you are looking for as an MFA directing candidate is different than anyone else, but here's two other thoughts about some schools.

I think I'm the only user here who applied to Pace this year, and here's what I'd say about them as objectively as possible. What appealed to me initially about them was their masterclass that I observed, in which Andreas M. (the head of the directing program) talked about the way script analysis was done. I applied with them and got an interview, and while Andreas was very nice, Bill Coco seemed a bit tense, and it in general didn't really click throughout the interview. There were specific questions about how I was as an actor and how familiar I was with Stanislavski and his system. They seemed to have a certain agenda and goal, compared to my Yale interview (Yura Korondoski might be the best theatre interview I've ever had) which felt more about learning about you. The training also seems to be at least one third acting training for directors. That could very well fit some people, it just didn't fit me. So overall, I'd say Pace has some positives, but it can be a bit niche, and I personally didn't find the interview that great.

I also applied to New School. I loved the description of the program from the tour I went on a couple of years ago, and a good amount of people from my alma mater have studied there. However, they have not been at all responsive with me in my contact with them. @Directorial applied there as well I believe, and I think for awhile got a similar lack of response, I'm not sure if he or she has since gotten contact. So, I would say a good program, not great communication.

Edited by QuirkyDirector

I loved the New School facilities when I visited for the Grad School expo and really enjoyed my conversations with the faculty. But yeah, since then I haven't gotten any response to my application or contact. I get the feeling they are perhaps a little understaffed, administratively.  (I'm a "he", @QuirkyDirector,  though I appreciate the commitment to gender neutrality!) ;) 

I also really loved my recent trip to DePaul, and am waiting of the final decision, which will probably be the climax of this year's journey. The facilities are truly amazing and everyone was brilliant. 

@Loose.tap.screws I saw you mentioned Virginia Tech on your list.  They are a great program if you are interested in persuing Theatre for Public Dialouge.  Bob Leonard, who heads up the program places a huge emphasis on how theatre and performance can positively impact communities.  If you are interested, or want to know more, check out his book, Performing Communities. Or you can also look into Hope is Vital by Michael Rohds who was a student in that program.

I am elated to see new franz here!! I'd like to offer my two cents regarding the administrative organization and decency of Carnegie Mellon: I have not received a written rejection from CMT but I also haven't gotten a phone call. My feeling is that I got lost in the system but am rejected. I have emailed both the graduate admission head and the faculty member who interviewed me regarding my applicant status--neither have emailed me back. Boooooo

So... after two years of applying, five interviews, and a campus visit, I woke up to an offer from Indiana this morning.

WHAT. 

Can't even handle this.

Who's next up? I'm not gonna be the only success story from this forum!

-sneaks in-

I'm applying for Costume Design at a bunch of places (Northwestern, CMU, and UT Austin are the top picks), but I wanted to throw this out there in case folks are concerned... that and theater folks need to stick together, right?

Background: CMU Fine Art (BFA) undergrad, changing careers. Went to the URTAs, interviewed with CMU and UTA, interviewing at Northwestern in the middle of this month.

- CMU extended all their application deadlines to March 1, but they're no longer available to access since that time has lapsed (you can check on Slideroom and see what I mean). On their website it still says the deadline was January 1; perhaps they extended auditions or one department didn't get enough candidates... who knows! So, I'm not entirely surprised that they're not getting back to anyone or sending anything out. When I interviewed at UT Austin, I was told by the faculty there that CMU handed out a bunch of rejections and they haven't heard of anyone being accepted... SO, all of that is pretty mysterious. I don't know if that helps put anyone's mind at ease, but I was told that it wasn't something I should be worried about. 

ANYWAYS, just passing through and wanted to throw that out there. Break some legs, y'all! 

Thank for the heads up, @pghCreatureShop! Super weird....so, EVERY theatre dept. extended their deadline?

BTW Depaul people: I just called admissions and they told me offers will go out Mid-March, around St. Patrick's day...so, we'll have something to drink to (or about). 

Edited by mr.taco

@mr.taco Yep! It would have made more sense if it was just one or two... but it was every single one. When I was at UTA (there were a few directing folks there too), none of the students there had gotten an acceptance from CMU or heard of anyone getting one, just rejections.... which is also odd. But, hey, CMU! haha.