Canadian Political Science Programs, Fall 2016 Admission

belles

On 2/12/2016 at 0:21 PM, POLIS said:

Hey everyone,

I see offers for University of Victoria and Dalhousie University have started to go out! Anyone have any insight into when admissions offers go out for Ontario Universities - U of O, U of T, Queen's, etc.? 

Thanks and best of luck to all!

Hey Polis. I got into Laurier with 15k in funding (including TA $$$). Haven't heard back from Ryerson or York yet.

On February 14, 2016 at 7:54 AM, POLIS said:

Any comments on Dalhousie University for focusing on International Relations and Foreign Policy? What is the university like? Thoughts? Thanks!

I did my undergrad at Dal, there are a few great profs who focus on IR & FP who are wonderful to work with. Having the ties with the Centre for Foreign Policy Studies, EU Centre, and Dallaire Initiative don't hurt either. I think a lot of it comes down to which prof you're looking to work with though.

Hey hdh,

I got into Dalhousie with full funding, along with a teaching assistantship, and a research assistantship with Dr. Frank Harvey. Upon looking at the faculty list and their research interests, I feel as thought my interests align well with theirs. The stressor of this whole situation is, however, that they want a reply of acceptance or decline by February 22. Thus, I have to make a decision prior to receiving other offers. So I was just curious as to Dal's reputation and recognition of a MA from that institution. As you mentioned, the Centre for Foreign Policy Studies, EU Centre, and Dallaire Initiative are great for establishing connections and further learning. Just curious what others have to say about that institution and offer. Any thoughts, opinions, and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

34 minutes ago, POLIS said:

Hey hdh,

I got into Dalhousie with full funding, along with a teaching assistantship, and a research assistantship with Dr. Frank Harvey. Upon looking at the faculty list and their research interests, I feel as thought my interests align well with theirs. The stressor of this whole situation is, however, that they want a reply of acceptance or decline by February 22. Thus, I have to make a decision prior to receiving other offers. So I was just curious as to Dal's reputation and recognition of a MA from that institution. As you mentioned, the Centre for Foreign Policy Studies, EU Centre, and Dallaire Initiative are great for establishing connections and further learning. Just curious what others have to say about that institution and offer. Any thoughts, opinions, and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not sure how it works with Canada, but maybe try explaining your situation and see if you can get an extension?

8 hours ago, POLIS said:

Hey hdh,

Hi POLIS - ditto @Determinedandnervous. When I was applying to MA programs in Canada last year, I was able to get extensions from basically every school. If they've offered you such a competitive funding package, they definitely really want you there, and I'm sure they'd oblige. Just call the graduate administrator.

8 minutes ago, POLIS said:

Hey everyone! 

Just got an offer of admission from Western University, so those should be coming around now for those who applied there. Best of luck!

As did I (for PhD)! Congratulations! 

For the OP, I did my MA at McMaster. Your stats are great. I think you have a great shot. McMaster is a really wonderful learning environment (I'm probably biased, lol). I didn't do policy, but knew people who did and they all enjoyed the program.

Good luck to all 2016 cycle applicants!  

2 hours ago, PoliPixie said:

As did I (for PhD)! Congratulations! 

For the OP, I did my MA at McMaster. Your stats are great. I think you have a great shot. McMaster is a really wonderful learning environment (I'm probably biased, lol). I didn't do policy, but knew people who did and they all enjoyed the program.

Good luck to all 2016 cycle applicants!  

Hey POLIS! Unfortunately--at the last minute--I chose not to apply to McMaster. It would've been a safety school, but now that I've been accepted to one I'd rather attend, seems like a waste of a hundred bucks. Congrats on your PhD acceptance!

Sorry to bother you all again, but I need your opinion. As previously mentioned, I have been offered admission into Dalhousie with full scholarship covering tuition, a Teaching Assistantship, and a Research Assistantship. Yesterday I had also been offered admission into Western University. Now today I have been offered a complete financial package for Western University, however it does not indicate a solidified Teaching Assistantship or Research Assistantship. My area of focus/interest is International Relations and foreign policy. 

In your opinion, which institution would be best suited for me? Any recommendations or suggestions are greatly appreciated as I only have till 22 Feb. to make the decision for one of the universities and March 14th for the other.

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, POLIS said:

Sorry to bother you all again, but I need your opinion. As previously mentioned, I have been offered admission into Dalhousie with full scholarship covering tuition, a Teaching Assistantship, and a Research Assistantship. Yesterday I had also been offered admission into Western University. Now today I have been offered a complete financial package for Western University, however it does not indicate a solidified Teaching Assistantship or Research Assistantship. My area of focus/interest is International Relations and foreign policy. 

In your opinion, which institution would be best suited for me? Any recommendations or suggestions are greatly appreciated as I only have till 22 Feb. to make the decision for one of the universities and March 14th for the other.

Thanks!

I would pick Dalhousie for non-academic reasons; they're offering you a much better financial deal with the TAship and RAship which could pay for your rent and other expenses. Halifax would also be a nice city to spend some time in. 

But if Western is more your taste, then accept if you're alright with potentially not being a TA or RA. Is it possible to email the admissions coordinator to ask them what the likelihood of getting those positions is?

On 2/18/2016 at 2:35 PM, POLIS said:

The quote thing is messed up for me, this is not quoting Polis, lol. 

You'll receive the full details of your package from Western if you accept their offer. However, if you email them and let them know you are entertaining another offer, they may be willing to provide you the details without the acceptance. Dalhousie is a great school. You can't go wrong accepting their offer (unless you're adverse to the East Coast, but I hear great things :D). Hope this helps! 

Hi everyone! Long-time lurker here - congrats to everyone who's gotten acceptances so far! Visited this forum yesterday afternoon and had several successive heart attacks to see that Canadian masters acceptances were starting to be received by some people and then that Polis had hear back from Queens, which was one of the schools I applied to. Lo and behold - a few hours I got my first acceptance email from Queens Global Development Studies!! 

Wondering if anyone else here has applied to or hear back from that program? They've offered me $15,000 in funding - made up of a grad award and a TA-ship. Is this seen to be competitive funding for a Canadian program? I'm a bit of a n00b so appreciate any insight :)

Anyone waiting on York, UofT, or Munk? (or...god forbid already heard??)

Wishing everyone good luck in this crazy time of our lives!

10 hours ago, puffingtonbear said:

Hi everyone! Long-time lurker here - congrats to everyone who's gotten acceptances so far! Visited this forum yesterday afternoon and had several successive heart attacks to see that Canadian masters acceptances were starting to be received by some people and then that Polis had hear back from Queens, which was one of the schools I applied to. Lo and behold - a few hours I got my first acceptance email from Queens Global Development Studies!! 

Wondering if anyone else here has applied to or hear back from that program? They've offered me $15,000 in funding - made up of a grad award and a TA-ship. Is this seen to be competitive funding for a Canadian program? I'm a bit of a n00b so appreciate any insight :)

Anyone waiting on York, UofT, or Munk? (or...god forbid already heard??)

Wishing everyone good luck in this crazy time of our lives!

I got offered 15k from both Waterloo and Laurier, so I'd say it's pretty par the course. Also, still waiting on York, too. 

Edited by belles