Canadian Political Science Programs, Fall 2016 Admission

belles

On 2016-02-19 at 10:55 AM, POLIS said:

Sorry to bother you all again, but I need your opinion. As previously mentioned, I have been offered admission into Dalhousie with full scholarship covering tuition, a Teaching Assistantship, and a Research Assistantship. Yesterday I had also been offered admission into Western University. Now today I have been offered a complete financial package for Western University, however it does not indicate a solidified Teaching Assistantship or Research Assistantship. My area of focus/interest is International Relations and foreign policy. 

In your opinion, which institution would be best suited for me? Any recommendations or suggestions are greatly appreciated as I only have till 22 Feb. to make the decision for one of the universities and March 14th for the other.

Thanks!

Hey quick question, did you also hear from the Political Science department before or was it just one letter from the Graduate Faculty announcing acceptance and detailing funding?

On February 24, 2016 at 10:09 PM, puffingtonbear said:

Hi everyone! Long-time lurker here - congrats to everyone who's gotten acceptances so far! Visited this forum yesterday afternoon and had several successive heart attacks to see that Canadian masters acceptances were starting to be received by some people and then that Polis had hear back from Queens, which was one of the schools I applied to. Lo and behold - a few hours I got my first acceptance email from Queens Global Development Studies!! 

Wondering if anyone else here has applied to or hear back from that program? They've offered me $15,000 in funding - made up of a grad award and a TA-ship. Is this seen to be competitive funding for a Canadian program? I'm a bit of a n00b so appreciate any insight :)

Anyone waiting on York, UofT, or Munk? (or...god forbid already heard??)

Wishing everyone good luck in this crazy time of our lives!

Hey! Congrats on Queen's! I applied to that too, and no word so far. However I got accepted to Munk with 15k :)

2 hours ago, Reen said:

Hey! Congrats on Queen's! I applied to that too, and no word so far. However I got accepted to Munk with 15k :)

Wow Congrats!! 15k is an unreal funding offer for Munk that's amazing! When did you hear from them if you don't mind me asking?

10 hours ago, puffingtonbear said:

Wow Congrats!! 15k is an unreal funding offer for Munk that's amazing! When did you hear from them if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks!!! Munk wrote to me just yesterday.

I had no clue this was a lot, since I'm not at all well versed in Canadian policy schools' funding. It's for the MGA (in my excitement I forgot that Munk has more than one program and didn't mention what mine was), and in the form of a fellowship, if that makes a difference. 

Does anyone have insider takes on the Munk MGA from current or past students? Any intel much appreciated :)

Hey everyone. Just received acceptance from Carleton, Guelph, and Waterloo - Check your email! I was away for a week with no internet so it was great seeing those emails! Still waiting for Toronto and York. 

What is everyone's opinion of Queen's? So far this is my top choice. Thanks!

On 27 February, 2016 at 2:26 PM, Herovid said:

Hey quick question, did you also hear from the Political Science department before or was it just one letter from the Graduate Faculty announcing acceptance and detailing funding?

Hey Herovid. Sorry for the late reply. I heard back from the Political Science Department, Graduate Faculty and Kristin Good. I ended up turning down that offer.

6 hours ago, POLIS said:

Hey everyone. Just received acceptance from Carleton, Guelph, and Waterloo - Check your email! I was away for a week with no internet so it was great seeing those emails! Still waiting for Toronto and York. 

Was it an MA acceptance? 

12 hours ago, POLIS said:

POLIS - what program at queens? I've been accepted to their MA Global Development Studies. 

On 2/12/2016 at 3:21 PM, POLIS said:

Hey everyone,

I see offers for University of Victoria and Dalhousie University have started to go out! Anyone have any insight into when admissions offers go out for Ontario Universities - U of O, U of T, Queen's, etc.? 

Thanks and best of luck to all!

I received a Queens MPA offer of acceptance Feb. 17, but no word from U of T MPP yet.

6 hours ago, cbrgode said:

Was it an MA acceptance? 

Queens has a good poli sci reputation and has strong connections with the Ont gov.  I would rank Queens up there with Dal and Carleton, maybe after those two. Carleton is more Federal connected. So maybe it could depend on where you intend to work or what you want to build experience towards.

2 hours ago, ScotchHudgins said:

Queens has a good poli sci reputation and has strong connections with the Ont gov.  I would rank Queens up there with Dal and Carleton, maybe after those two. Carleton is more Federal connected. So maybe it could depend on where you intend to work or what you want to build experience towards.

Im focused on IR and foreign policy - post 2001 policy, etc.

2 hours ago, ScotchHudgins said:

Work in IR - foreign policy and such with Federal govt. I hear a lot about Queen's being well-known in comparison to other institutions, so that also attracts me more so to Queen's. Financial packages are important, but also want to go somewhere well-recognized.

3 hours ago, puffingtonbear said:

POLIS - what program at queens? I've been accepted to their MA Global Development Studies. 

MA Political Studies

16 hours ago, POLIS said:

I'm stoked over my Waterloo acceptance! Heavily considering accepting my offer...

Anyone know anything positive or negative about the MA Political Science program at Waterloo?