Social Welfare/Work PhD applicants

embe87

On 2/2/2016 at 2:16 PM, MCinephile said:

That is much needed work! I just read this article: https://newrepublic.com/article/127311/trouble-christian-adoption-movement and it really opened my eyes to the complex and outright criminal elements in international adoptions.

Hi! There is a really scary White Savior Complex issue in western Christianity (and in the U.S. in general) as far as adoptions are concerned. Reading that article, I was like... why would that family decide to adopt a child whose orphaned status was questionable from the jump? Emotional attachment does not really legitimize doing something like that. Isn't it a little late to feel guilty for stealing a child? It's like willful ignorance. 

I also like how the article addresses the long history of ethical issues in adoption. A lot of people don't understand how far back this goes... Btw, little known fact: the phrase "put up for adoption" was first used during the orphan train era, when children were literally "put up" on platforms to be inspected and "adopted" for labor throughout the U.S. (not just on the west coast). So definitely think twice before using that phrase! 

On 2/2/2016 at 3:31 AM, Happysoul said:

@wisdomspeaks

Thank you for your encouraging words. I am hoping for the best :) 

Congrats on making it to UB. 

I am an International applicant (from India) and i have already done MSW followed by MPhil - community health (intermediate degree here on the way to PhD). I have 12+ years of experience in both practice and policy including a little bit on research side across  funding agencies and NGO's including UN and ActionAid. 

I have applied to UC-Berkeley, USC, U-Chicago, UW-Seattle, UM-Ann Arbor and Brandeis.

Haven't heard from anyone yet. Lets see how it goes. 

Wow, sounds like you have awesome experiences! I would not be worried at all. I also applied to UC Berkeley (rejected), USC, Chicago, and U-M. If I got into Chicago (so much child welfare research going on there), I would probably choose to go there over other schools. If not, I am strongly leaning toward UB. Do you have a strong preference for one school over others?

@wisdomspeaks

Hey, thanks. Yes, I am quite confident on my LoR and SOP/ PS along with Work ex. But equally, I am worried about my GRE and less than ideal research work experience.  

I chose these schools on the basis of my research interests (comparative studies on Gender - Female + Homelessness), interaction with faculty, work area for my spouse (If selected, I plan to come on j1 with my spouse and 5 yr old kid) and of course funding. I am more inclined towards California schools (UC-Berkeley and USC) because of my research area and multiple options for job opportunities for my spouse. I also feel Chicago and Brandeis connect well with my line of work and research interest. Chicago, in fact is as good as a fit as CA schools but I am missing their TOEFL minimum criteria. I discussed my case with program coordinator there before applying and they suggested me to apply as they would see the entire application in a holistic way. 

Sorry to hear about UC-Berkeley, cracking it would be quite difficult as i  read that they take 1/2 student only for combined MSW-PhD program and 5-6 for PhD program. Moreover, funding could be an issue there. I would consider myself very lucky, if i am able to get through it with funding.

@Happysoul wow and I thought moving out of state was stressful!! I can only imagine moving a five year old to another country. Have you lived in the U.S. Before? By the way, I completely get the job situation. My partner is a chef and works at four seasons so somewhere on the west coast would be most convenient because she can transfer anywhere in the world to another four seasons quite easily. While I like UB a LOT, I am concerned about the rust belt economy and limited opportunities. It's a lot to think about. We will see what my options are. It would be cool if we both were finalists at USC and got to meet one another, wouldn't it?

@wisdomspeaks  That would be very cool :) Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for best. 

No, I have not lived in the US but I have visited it and was there (Bay area) with my kid for about a month.  So,  experienced the lifestyle, people, culture and many more things in detail for that one month. Though I know moving there would be a completely different ball game. But i have always wanted to do my Ph.D. from a top school and it is in a way now or never for me. Let's see how it goes. 

Well take a call on how it works out for you. You have a admit in hand and If the faculty and the school aligns with your interest area, nothing better than  that. Though i agree having a good location makes thing better cuz we gonna spend next 4-5 years there and then work opportunities after completion are much better.

@CrimsonEyes @Happysoul sorry to hear about Berkeley. As you've both applied to several fantastic schools, I'm rooting for you!

I'm waitlisted at Berkeley -- I'm trying to be optimistic about it. It's a fantastic fit (institutionally and geographically) for my work. I'm also waiting on news from an external funding application (SSHRC). With the larger scholarships, the dollar amount drastically drops if the student decides on a school outside Canada. 

Did anyone end up applying to University of Toronto? Given the late deadline date (February 16) and the meager standard funding, I decided to drop my application.

Hi guys,

Here are some data that I collected from the past (applicants' self report. Date source: thegradcafe) or was told by the schools.

For UPenn, they usually send out the letters between late February to mid March. 

For UChicago, they usually send out the letters in February (acceptance or rejection), but if applicants do not receive the rejection letter or admission letter from the school, it could be that the applicants are on the waitlist, and the decision will be made in April.

For UKansas, applicants will be notified in the late February.

For UMN-Twin Cities, applicants who met the first deadline will be notified in the late January and early February (I was notified by the school several days ago, but still no sure what the financial package will be)

For UNC at Chapel Hill, some applicants have already received the admission for the Fall 2016 in the late January. However, I have not heard anything from the school yet. According to the past, the school sent out the letters in march.

For Boston University, applicants will be notified by the school no later than March 24. Usually, the school sends out the letters in the late February.

Anyway, finger crossed. 

Hey! I received an unofficial offer for uchicago's phd program! I think I was informed earlier than most people because I'm an international student and received a phd offer elsewhere (which they are aware of).

I was told that the official admissions outcome (via the electronic admissions system) will be updated later. So, if you haven't heard back yet, don't worry! 

Hello everyone !

As an international student with MSW degree (obtaining it in the US), I am curious about whether it is normal that there is no notification of interview from CSSW so far......

Is there anyone knowing that information? Thx a lot~

1 hour ago, royerful0 said:

Hello everyone !

As an international student with MSW degree (obtaining it in the US), I am curious about whether it is normal that there is no notification of interview from CSSW so far......

Is there anyone knowing that information? Thx a lot~

They don't do interviews.  I got my MSW from CSSW. But you are more than welcome to call admissions and ask as well. @royerful0

21 hours ago, CrimsonEyes said:

They don't do interviews.  I got my MSW from CSSW. But you are more than welcome to call admissions and ask as well. @royerful0

Thank you so much~ Frankly speaking, the process of waiting for the application results is like the torture......I really aspire to know when the results of CSSW application will be clear~^_^

Edited by royerful0

3 minutes ago, CrimsonEyes said:

What program did you apply too? @Beetroot. I applied to PhD in social welfare and they told me that they do not do interviews?  

I applied to the PhD in Social Welfare. The email today (which came from two different profs - one of whom I referenced in my app) said that I was a finalist and that they would like to schedule a conversation to "discuss our common interests and see how [they] might bring [my] passions and interests to fruition at Penn." I know interviews aren't the norm - maybe I'm on the bubble or something?