Social Welfare/Work PhD applicants

embe87

22 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

I applied to the PhD in Social Welfare. The email today (which came from two different profs - one of whom I referenced in my app) said that I was a finalist and that they would like to schedule a conversation to "discuss our common interests and see how [they] might bring [my] passions and interests to fruition at Penn." I know interviews aren't the norm - maybe I'm on the bubble or something?

Oh I see @Beetroot. Well then good luck for sure, if you are on the fence for them. Let us know how the interview goes.  When is it scheduled for? 

5 minutes ago, CrimsonEyes said:

Oh I see @Beetroot. Well then good luck for sure, if you are on the fence for them. Let us know how the interview goes.  When is it scheduled for? 

Tuesday. Yes - trying not to worry and to remember that I'm interviewing them as much as they are interviewing me (yeah, right). :) Will keep you posted!

Did you apply to Penn as well? Would love to hear when you hear.

Edited by Beetroot

1 hour ago, Beetroot said:

Tuesday. Yes - trying not to worry and to remember that I'm interviewing them as much as they are interviewing me (yeah, right). :) Will keep you posted!

Did you apply to Penn as well? Would love to hear when you hear.

Haha I am sure you will do great! Thanks. 

Yes I did apply.. The same program as you. That's why I was confused on the interview. If I hear anything I'll post it.  

On 2/12/2016 at 3:15 PM, Waves said:

I've not originally participated in this thread but word from the grapevine is that UW-Seattle had selected their candidates and have scheduled them for visit in early March.

How did you hear that?  Are you currently in the program at UW?

On 12 February 2016 at 3:07 PM, Beetroot said:

Thanks! I'm nervous. My former prof/reference/mentor gave me this sage advice: "Do not talk about your cat." 

How did your interview go? I hope you did talk about your cats! hehe. Cats are cute and fluffy and makes things better. 

My former supervisor (hardcore economist) also gave me great advice: "Just be yourself, except, maybe not the insecure, confused part of yourself." and "just remember to have at least 7 hours sleep, because we all know you become emotional when you're sleep deprived". 

54 minutes ago, wongjcz said:

How did your interview go? I hope you did talk about your cats! hehe. Cats are cute and fluffy and makes things better. 

My former supervisor (hardcore economist) also gave me great advice: "Just be yourself, except, maybe not the insecure, confused part of yourself." and "just remember to have at least 7 hours sleep, because we all know you become emotional when you're sleep deprived". 

It seemed to go well - conversation felt as natural as possible, and they were very open to answering my questions. Hoping to see an official offer sometime in the near future! (And also very glad to have it over with - unfortunately, did not get the opportunity to bring up my cat)

@Beetroot  Glad to hear it went well... what all did they ask... did they say anything about why an interview since it is not part of the process? Any news about when decisions will be? Any other information willing to share? Sorry for all the questions! lol 

20 minutes ago, CrimsonEyes said:

@Beetroot  Glad to hear it went well... what all did they ask... did they say anything about why an interview since it is not part of the process? Any news about when decisions will be? Any other information willing to share? Sorry for all the questions! lol 

No worries at all about the questions! It's hard to describe. They didn't really have questions - they mostly were interested in what questions I had. We spoke about each of their future projects and about my future goals. They spoke as though an offer was forthcoming, but I don't have anything in hand (and they even said they didn't know specifically when letters/notices were going out). Given that these are two professors I would be working closely with, I got the impression they just wanted a chance to connect in "person" (rather than just through an application).

@Beetroot YAY! I'm glad conversation felt as natural as possible! :) I hope you felt good vibes from the professors. 

Ahh! I'm so glad for all this extra information! I was meant to receive my outcome yesterday! I haven't. :( That's all right! Patience is a great skill *eyes twitch*. 

@wongjcz I really did enjoy talking with the profs - wish I could offer more firm info, but it's hard to summarize. I promise I'm not holding out! :) 

I hear you (and everyone else) on the challenge of patience. I'm waiting on 1 more school - Columbia - and am not hopeful given recent changes in their faculty. The waiting game is the worst.

@Beetroot I definitely didn't think you were holding out! :) And I completely understand the fuzziness/brain fog/close to amnesia experience associated with high pressure situations. Plus, I take an immediate liking to people who talk about pets!! 

@Beetroot Thank you for your honestly, and I don't think you are holding out anything. It def. sounds promising though. Did they mention if others were going to interview? I am glad that you were able to connect with potential advisors. Must be a great feeling for you. You also applied to Columbia? The PhD in Social Work or a different program? Columbia's PhD in Social Work is another program I applied to as well. Ive spoken to one of the staff that sends out the decisions. She said that they have 3 scheduled days the committee was meeting to make decisions, Feb 1st, Feb 15th, and Feb 22/27th. So there is a possibility that they will send out decisions once they are all made or some may trickle out this week or next. 

And the brain fuzziness is completely normal!!! No worries!!! And what is that saying... Patience is a Virtue @wongjcz ;/ 

@CrimsonEyes Yep - I applied to the PhD in Social Work at Columbia. Thanks for the intel! Here's hoping we hear (and hear good news) soon! The profs at Penn didn't mention if they were speaking with any other candidates, but, again, we only spoke because I mentioned them in my SoP. It's possible other faculty have a different process or don't feel the need to do extra vetting. What is your area of interest?

@Beetroot YES... hoping we hear great news!!! And I see, makes more sense now that they were the ones you mentioned in SoP... I was confused on the whole process.. still am lol But this makes sense. My area of interest are around trauma, more specifically rape, sexual assault and domestic violence around primary and secondary survivors and the effects on both and how to work with both by providing best practices. But more so around the effects on the secondary survivors and how to mold a nonprofit targeting these specific clients.( This also includes survivors who have comorbidity with a disability or other violent crimes associated)

What about you, what are your interest areas?

@wongjcz Haha no worries.. and yes, it is a very good thing life is a learning process, we can all learn something from one another!