Social Welfare/Work PhD applicants

embe87

Hey all --  Has anyone on here applied to the Brandeis Social Policy PhD program, in the Heller School?  I've asked in a couple different parts of the forum but so far no buddies... :)   

On 2/23/2016 at 0:12 PM, ts1493 said:

Hey all --  Has anyone on here applied to the Brandeis Social Policy PhD program, in the Heller School?  I've asked in a couple different parts of the forum but so far no buddies... :)   

I've applied to Brandeis as well. One of my recommenders is an Alma mater of the program. Not sure if it'll be feasible, but worth the try!

5 hours ago, _kita said:

I've applied to Brandeis as well. One of my recommenders is an Alma mater of the program. Not sure if it'll be feasible, but worth the try!

Nice!  I'm glad to have finally found someone else in the application cycle.  It's such a strong program... good luck! 

Congrats @Beetroot!!!!  @wongjcz I am sorry to hear that... so they sent you an email or how did you find out about the rejection?   I am still waiting to hear back from UPENN.. I didnt know decisions started to go out... they told me in two weeks... :?

Thanks @CrimsonEyes. I'm hopeful but am trying not to get too worked up about it until I actually see an official acceptance (what can I say? I'm a skeptical lady). Now if Columbia would just get back to us. They had their last meeting on Friday, yes? Hopefully we will hear soon. . . 

haha no I hear ya @Beetroot I would be too... I just gotta see the official then it would sink in. lol and Columbia... yea hopefully.. I tried calling yesterday but no one answered to try to get an update from their meetings, so I emailed the person I got the original info from, so I'm hoping I will hear from her on Monday so I can update everyone.But hopefully we will hear this coming week... fingers crossed!

Hello! I just realised how lame it was to quote kelly clarkson. It was literally the song that played in my mind when I read the email! Hehe. 

@CrimsonEyes I received an email from the dean containing the admission decision. I mentioned this before, but since I received another offer from an Australian uni (I'm based in sydney) and the program starts on the 29th of February, it was important for me to know the decision asap! So I emailed upenn informing them of my situation, and they agreed to release my decision as soon as the results were finalised. Mind you, I was meant to receive the results on the 16th of February, so I think the decision making process was protracted! (I'm not going to the australian uni, by the way!)

@Beetroot I'm super excited for you! And I agree - things are dream-like until an official document comes through. 

Also, I am very happy about the outcome in an - I feel like there is some wonderful growth lesson in this because it reminds me that I don't have complete control over my future - sort of way. If past me took bets on which uni I'd be admitted into, I would have placed a bet against the grad school I got admitted into, and for upenn which I did not get into! But the opposite occurred! I have some control, but not complete control! And I need to keep reminding myself of this! :) 

Oh I see @wongjcz  so they were suppose to have your decision by Feb 16 because you're an international student... and they didn't and so you needed to know ASAP because of the school that you were accepted in Australia... and they processed your application faster? is that correct?

@CrimsonEyes I'm not sure if Upenn processed my application faster because I am an international student. I'm really not sure how the whole thing progressed. I just received the outcome. I'm sorry I can't provide any more information. I can't say anything with certainty because I really do not know. :( 

I applied to three schools - 2 in the U.S. (Upenn and Uchicago) and 1 in Australia (Umelbourne). I was admitted into the UChicago program. I'm not going to Melbourne because I prefer the program in Chicago to the one in Melbourne! But I love Melbourne as a city! Great coffee and cafe culture! And amazing Asian food!! Also, the phd coordinator at Umelbourne knew I was applying to U.S. programs and was completely fine (and very encouraging) about it. It was hard to decline the Melbourne offer. 

So I've finished waiting! Yay!!

Edited by wongjcz

Oh thank you @wongjcz I feel that we all should be supportive in one another, we are all trying to make a difference in this world and in the lives of others, why should that start after we graduate or even after acceptance. But I really do appreciate all your kind words, same to you @Beetroot. I got my MSW at Columbia, so I kind of had a feeling I wouldn't get accepted into the PhD program, so it was a long shot. 

I am really grateful for this forum and for you all on this journey in becoming "Doctors" for the people we wish to serve and assist, in whatever capacity that may be. Good Luck to you all in whatever you choose to do!

Thanks @Beetroot and @wongjcz for the information. @CrimsonEyes please don't give up hope. I hear nothing from Upenn, too. We will all do great!

And just in case anyone here have applied to CWRU, the committee will finalize their decision-making process within the next few weeks.

Edited by Mingyang

Hi everyone! Hope you're all well. It's been a while since I've posted, probably because I'm freaking out internally and trying to avoid expressing this the anxiety virtually or in person:blink:.

I wanted to echo what @CrimsonEyes said earlier - I too am grateful for all of you. This period in our lives - what an exciting and stressful time! At the end of it all, we're in a beautiful place. In a few months, we'll be starting a 4-5 year journey. At this moment, many of us don't know where that journey will start. We'll know in due time. I am glad we are all supporting each other as we hear back from schools. 

On 3/2/2016 at 9:57 AM, Mingyang said:

Thanks @Beetroot and @wongjcz for the information. @CrimsonEyes please don't give up hope. I hear nothing from Upenn, too. We will all do great!

And just in case anyone here have applied to CWRU, the committee will finalize their decision-making process within the next few weeks.

CWRU got back to me this me this past week. Didn't get in, but that's okay. I heard back from John Hopkins first with an acceptance.