Applying for Fall 2016

ShadowCat

16 hours ago, ca820 said:

Has anyone applied/heard from University of Washington's ethno program?

Just curious: Were you a good fit with UW research aims? Was this a reach program for you? FYI they are ridiculously selective, part of that is because their funding is practically nonexistent... I have visited the program before and met with most of the faculty. Great people, but my area of research wasn't quite close enough to theirs... did not apply this year.

Well, it's March and I still haven't heard a peep from 3 schools (or seen anything from them on the list). It's difficult to be positive about prospects at this point, even though I know acceptances can come very late. Still holding on to hope!

On 2/29/2016 at 10:31 AM, NightGallery said:

Just curious: Were you a good fit with UW research aims? Was this a reach program for you? FYI they are ridiculously selective, part of that is because their funding is practically nonexistent... I have visited the program before and met with most of the faculty. Great people, but my area of research wasn't quite close enough to theirs... did not apply this year.

I think I'm a good fit overall. I was asking because they sent out an email asking their top prospects if they were still interested in being admitted, precisely because they are tight on funding this year.
Is their funding offer really that bad, though? Cause I would love to go there, but I'd be moving across the country to do so and idk that I could do that if the funding was that bad.

Hello!

I found out about this site a few months ago but was a little timid about posting anything. This is my first time applying to graduate school and I have yet to hear from any school except one, which was a rejection ( I checked the application site so I haven't gotten that email yet. That'll be fun to see when it comes). I've been checking my email like a crazy person hoping to hear anything from anyone...

I wish all the luck to those who are still waiting!

5 hours ago, ca820 said:

I think I'm a good fit overall. I was asking because they sent out an email asking their top prospects if they were still interested in being admitted, precisely because they are tight on funding this year.
Is their funding offer really that bad, though? Cause I would love to go there, but I'd be moving across the country to do so and idk that I could do that if the funding was that bad.

Funding was in the dumper when I visited UW a couple years back. Unlike IU, they won't admit folks they can't fund. so on the money front, an offer of admission from UW is probably good news. Don't do a PhD without funding. UW was great in the past, but their rep has slipped.... The ivy leagues have a lock on ethno now in terms of employment ops after graduation. Trust me, I went through all of this before.... Sucks.

Edited by NightGallery

1 hour ago, NightGallery said:

Funding was in the dumper when I visited UW a couple years back. Unlike IU, they won't admit folks they can't fund. so on the money front, an offer of admission from UW is probably good news. Don't do a PhD without funding. UW was great in the past, but their rep has slipped.... The ivy leagues have a lock on ethno now in terms of employment ops after graduation. Trust me, I went through all of this before.... Sucks.

I think there is a general trend of having a lock on enthnomusicology Ph.D in America....

Waitlisted at Brandeis, but I know from friends who have gone through this process with them that the waitlisted people can definitely get offers. So feeling positive about the chances!

Anybody who knows if musicology acceptances/waitlist notifications at Brandeis would have gone out with composition ones, or if they are on a different schedule? I'm still waiting to hear from them and am wondering if there is any hope still... 

Edited by Baroquiness

38 minutes ago, Baroquiness said:

Anybody who knows if musicology acceptances/waitlist notifications at Brandeis would have gone out with composition ones, or if they are on a different schedule? I'm still waiting to hear from them and am wondering if there is any hope still... 

I'm still waiting to hear from them as well, so I am going with they are on a different schedule...

On 2/29/2016 at 9:07 AM, AnxiousApplicant123 said:

Someone got into Brown's ethnomusicology program. I still haven't heard from Brown or Penn. Does anyone know anything?

Still nothing from Brown or Penn? I'm considering writing to writing to my POI at each of these programs. I don't want to come across as that annoying, pushy applicant, but the clock is ticking. I've been accepted at UC Riverside, and if I'm going to spend a lot of money to fly across the country to visit UCR, it has to be next week (for several reasons). Is there a tactful way to ask, "What the E sharp is taking you so long?"

Has anyone heard from UVA? I applied for composition/computer technologies, and haven't heard a thing. I've heard from all the other places I applied (6 total) as of three weeks ago; the suspense is killing me...

Edited by jjjjjjjjjjjjjj
spelling error

I applied at UVA as well, and haven't heard anything. 

I know that they already hosted people for the Jefferson Fellowship weekend in February, so my assumption is that they are just waiting for acceptances before they send out rejections. 

I also know 4 other people who applied and haven't heard anything either. 

Edited by mmmarimba

14 hours ago, musicologypl said:

Anyone has heard rejections from Columbia's or Duke's musicology program?? Why does even a rejection letter take so long!!!!

I am in the exact same boat with Columbia! At this point I'm assuming they're waiting to hear from their first choice candidates, but it would be nice if they at least told us that's what they're doing. 

And I feel bad because I have a pretty attractive offer from UCSB, but I don't want to accept it until I hear back from every program. So I'm probably keeping someone else on the line. It's just a nerve-wracking situation all around!