GPA and Admission to Grad School

franc109

Hi. I am applying to graduate school and am worried about my 3.0 GPA. Do I have a chance at acceptance into an MA program? I have a pretty solid research background with two years as an RA and am currently working on an independent research project. Do graduate schools look at other areas of an application before making a decision? Please help!

17 hours ago, xEB0511 said:

I don't think you need to worry for a masters program. Most people get their masters to boost their undergraduate GPA or if they majored in something other than Psychology, etc. People can get into most masters programs with GPAs less than a 3.0. 

I agree with the above. 

I'm applying to lots of MA programs with less than a 3.0, but I have alot of research and volunteer experience, as well as work experience( I'm currently a mobile technician for Apple). If you don't give up and stay confident, you'll get in. Have faith in yourself!

• 2 months later...

I have a 3.55 GPA with great recs, 2 years research, conference presentation and 2 teaching assistantships.  Do you think I should try for straight low level PhD programs in psych or go for the masters?

7 minutes ago, Guitarman12 said:

I have a 3.55 GPA with great recs, 2 years research, conference presentation and 2 teaching assistantships.  Do you think I should try for straight low level PhD programs in psych or go for the masters?

Depends! Have you taken the GRE yet? Do you only have 1 conference presentation? I have a 3.3 GPA (and took an online grad certificate course with a 4.0), and I got into a PhD program on the second try. 3.55 isn't terrible at all, but it's a competitive field. Research fit is one of the most important things you can have, and you'll have to show that in your statements of purpose. 

306 GRE 4.5 Writing on my first try.  I know I can get that up though because I did that with no preparation.  Yeah, I have 1 conference (2 at end of this semester and 1 pub by end).

15 hours ago, Guitarman12 said:

306 GRE 4.5 Writing on my first try.  I know I can get that up though because I did that with no preparation.  Yeah, I have 1 conference (2 at end of this semester and 1 pub by end).

That should be good. Competitive GREs differ by school, but you should aim to be in the 80 percentile range, but if you're below that it's okay.

Which type of psych are you interested in? If it's clinical, then I would say it's going to be extremely difficult to get into a PhD program. If it's cognitive or physiological psych/neuroscience, you should be alright.

It also depends if you're applying internationally (I'm from Canada and I applied to the US, it can be very difficult as you can cost a lot more for them). But if you're applying to your own country and it's in a less competitive field of psychology, you shouldn't worry about a 3.55 with research if you can write a good statement and you make meaningful connections with the professors youre interested in before the application.

PM me if you don't want to write that info out here!

17 hours ago, Guitarman12 said:

I got into two clinical PhD programs with a 3.44 overall GPA (closer to a 3.8 psych GPA; I wasn't a psych major). My GRE was 322 which I think helped me out a bit.

On March 1, 2016 at 0:11 PM, eternallyephemeral said:

That should be good. Competitive GREs differ by school, but you should aim to be in the 80 percentile range, but if you're below that it's okay.

Which type of psych are you interested in? If it's clinical, then I would say it's going to be extremely difficult to get into a PhD program. If it's cognitive or physiological psych/neuroscience, you should be alright.

It also depends if you're applying internationally (I'm from Canada and I applied to the US, it can be very difficult as you can cost a lot more for them). But if you're applying to your own country and it's in a less competitive field of psychology, you shouldn't worry about a 3.55 with research if you can write a good statement and you make meaningful connections with the professors youre interested in before the application.

PM me if you don't want to write that info out here!

Sorry for the late reply.  Been real busy!  I am applying for social psych/experimental programs.  I plan on staying away from top ranked PhD schools and I am pretty realistic as to what I have a chance for.  I will probably be applying to mid tier programs.  I do have very good recommendations.  One is from a long time faculty member that runs a lab that I am a TA for and have a great connection with (I also work in his lab).  Another is a professor that I also TA for that asked me to TA based on my success in his class.  The third is from a professional writing professor.  I know social psych/experimental is still hard to get into but I think it is less than clinical.

I guess my biggest dilemma is debating whether I should focus solely on PhD programs or if I should also apply to higher level masters programs.  My GPA seems to be a bit lower for some of these higher level MA programs (Wake Forest, Nova, William and Mary) but I am hoping my research and recs would help me on that one.  I know that if I did an MA programs I would do phenomenal.  I had a lot of crazy stuff happen to me in my undergrad that just drew my focus away from academics (deaths in family, breakups, breaking bones, mono).  The semesters that I wasn't really affected by these things I got 4.0's.  It was like 1 bad semester my first semester of freshman year (2.75) that is bringing me down a lot.

Edited by Guitarman12

55 minutes ago, Guitarman12 said:

Sorry for the late reply.  Been real busy!  I am applying for social psych/experimental programs.  I plan on staying away from top ranked PhD schools and I am pretty realistic as to what I have a chance for.  I will probably be applying to mid tier programs.  I do have very good recommendations.  One is from a long time faculty member that runs a lab that I am a TA for and have a great connection with (I also work in his lab).  Another is a professor that I also TA for that asked me to TA based on my success in his class.  The third is from a professional writing professor.  I know social psych/experimental is still hard to get into but I think it is less than clinical.

I guess my biggest dilemma is debating whether I should focus solely on PhD programs or if I should also apply to higher level masters programs.  My GPA seems to be a bit lower for some of these higher level MA programs (Wake Forest, Nova, William and Mary) but I am hoping my research and recs would help me on that one.  I know that if I did an MA programs I would do phenomenal.  I had a lot of crazy stuff happen to me in my undergrad that just drew my focus away from academics (deaths in family, breakups, breaking bones, mono).  The semesters that I wasn't really affected by these things I got 4.0's.  It was like 1 bad semester my first semester of freshman year (2.75) that is bringing me down a lot.

Do those MA programs have a thesis and do you work with a supervisor directly? Because if that's the case and you want to do a masters first, then you could go for that. However, if they aren't funded and if they make you take longer, when you could get into a PhD program, then I wouldnt go the longer route.

What I would do to see what kinds of chances you have for these programs, is to look at the current students on the school website and maybe even email them to ask which parts of the applicaiton are more important. I wouldn't ask them to tell you if you'll get in or not, but they will probably be more honest than the people working there, because the students have no vested interest of trying to get you to apply.

Then I would make a connection with as many potential supervisors as you can, because things like this can help you if you meet the GPA cutoff (which you most likely would) and if your stronger aspects are research and interviews. So maybe you could have one of the Masters programs as a backup? Not that you are guaranteed to get in, but if the deadlines are late enough for the MA, you could potentially hear back from some schools and then apply to the MA. My boyfriend did this, but he didn't plan it out before (he just didn't get into any of his PhD programs), and now he's probably going to the same place I am!

So I think it'll work out. You're being realistic which is good, however keep in mind that mid tier programs can still have lots of applicants and they can be very competitive.

3 hours ago, eternallyephemeral said:

Do those MA programs have a thesis and do you work with a supervisor directly? Because if that's the case and you want to do a masters first, then you could go for that. However, if they aren't funded and if they make you take longer, when you could get into a PhD program, then I wouldnt go the longer route.

What I would do to see what kinds of chances you have for these programs, is to look at the current students on the school website and maybe even email them to ask which parts of the applicaiton are more important. I wouldn't ask them to tell you if you'll get in or not, but they will probably be more honest than the people working there, because the students have no vested interest of trying to get you to apply.

Then I would make a connection with as many potential supervisors as you can, because things like this can help you if you meet the GPA cutoff (which you most likely would) and if your stronger aspects are research and interviews. So maybe you could have one of the Masters programs as a backup? Not that you are guaranteed to get in, but if the deadlines are late enough for the MA, you could potentially hear back from some schools and then apply to the MA. My boyfriend did this, but he didn't plan it out before (he just didn't get into any of his PhD programs), and now he's probably going to the same place I am!

So I think it'll work out. You're being realistic which is good, however keep in mind that mid tier programs can still have lots of applicants and they can be very competitive.

Thanks for the advice.  Yeah, I would apply to funded thesis MA programs.  The current professor that I work for thinks I have a good shot at mid/low level PhD programs so I am hoping he is right but what I will probably end up doing is applying to MA programs as a backup and then also apply to lower level PhD programs as well as a backup.  And yeah, I meet the GPA cutoff at pretty much every school.  3.55 isn't great but I acknowledge it isn't horrible either.  And did your boyfriend do clinical psych PhD?  If so, what was the reason why he didn't get in first time around?

Edited by Guitarman12

2 hours ago, Guitarman12 said:

Thanks for the advice.  Yeah, I would apply to funded thesis MA programs.  The current professor that I work for thinks I have a good shot at mid/low level PhD programs so I am hoping he is right but what I will probably end up doing is applying to MA programs as a backup and then also apply to lower level PhD programs as well as a backup.  And yeah, I meet the GPA cutoff at pretty much every school.  3.55 isn't great but I acknowledge it isn't horrible either.  And did your boyfriend do clinical psych PhD?  If so, what was the reason why he didn't get in first time around?

No problem! That sounds good. Yeah I completely agree that a 3.55 is good, it's very impressive. There are just so many things that you have to consider and with any aspect, there are always people more competitive. I just never thought I had a really good chance until I officially got an acceptance.

No, he was applying to neuroscience and some psych programs for brain and behaviour. But they were extremely competitive (like MIT, UCLA, etc). And he has less than a 3.5. His GREs were also pretty bad (like 50th percentile), though he has amazing research and LORs. I think generally, he either barely made the cutoff or perhaps he didn't at all. However, but being an international student also has something to do with it.

• 3 weeks later...
On February 29, 2016 at 7:56 PM, Guitarman12 said:

Hi, 

It is definitely possible to still get into a funded clinical Psych Phd program. A 3.5 is a great gpa, my brother got accepted to Northwestern U. and Fordham U. with a 3.0 gpa and several other programs. He took the GREs and scored 168V 164Q 5.5W (took them twice)- So he always attributes his acceptances to this but their are WAY more factors. He worked as a psychology assistant at a private practice, had 1 publication with another under review when he applied, 3 years of research and more than 4 poster presentations - 3 of them were national. If the conference is WELL-KNOWN than it might be of your interest to submit an abstract and see if it gets accepted. Also it was great networking for him since he gave his poster summary's with his email and detailed information attached. It comes down to letters of recommendation, personal statement, and research exp. (poster, presentations,pubs, etc.) Your GPA and GRE are simply scores that tell them if your able to do work at the graduate level- Most schools have a minimum gpa of 3.0- Since they get so many apps this is a quick and easy way of eliminating students. Once you meet the minimum qualifications- if its a clinical program, chances are a faculty or group of faculty will evaluate your application and experience. This is what decides if you even get an interview. Once you have the interview it'll solely depend on your personality and if they think you'll fit in. Ultimately, you need to show them that they need you and how you'll be an asset and valuable student to their program. Its totally possible- Don't lose hope or cut yourself to short. I will be applying to programs during the Fall :D. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I think a GPA can be an important component of the application, it's the overall package that counts most. I have two 4.0s (BAs in psychology and communications) and a masters in communication from a foreign university (highest distinction, they don't use the GPA system in England). I have research experience as an undergrad and am working as a research coordinator now, designing my own project. However, my GRE scores aren't all that great. My verbal and writing are pretty strong, but my quant kind of sucks. I was accepted into a MS program for the fall. I did not apply to PhD programs yet because I just didn't feel ready and believe I need more experience. Also, the programs are so competitive now and I doubt my GRE scores are competitive enough now. My point is that I had some really strong parts to my app and some weak ones. I don't think your GPA is going to effect you too much if other parts of your app are strong ?. They're looking for good overall candidates ☺️  

To be honest, I don't think your GPA is very good. I would say that since that is a potential weakness for your application then you need to be stronger elsewhere like crush the GRE and you have research experience which is good. The GPA for Wake Forest MA is like 3.7. I had a 3.40 from a top public university and got waitlisted there. My GRE score is above their average so I'm assuming that my GPA and lack of research experience got me put on the waitlist. If you have concerns, I would talk to admissions or program directors directly. Dr. Stone at Wake told me that if you have a weakness on your application, then you have to make up for it with something else. I've heard the same advice from Columbia. Since you have research experience, I do think you could maybe apply to PhDs but usually the average GPA is going to be higher than yours. Scores do matter too as well as letters of recommendation. Good luck!

On 4/4/2016 at 9:22 PM, Chele Marie said:

I think a GPA can be an important component of the application, it's the overall package that counts most. 

Some people with 4.0s don't get interviews and people with under a 3.0 do. It is all about a whole, how you fit, and what exactly the POI is looking for. If GPA is considered the weak part of your app, over shadow it with your personal statement, LOR, and research experience. The PhD program I will be attending next year had an average undergrad GPA of 3.8, between community college and my undergrad I was probably around a 3.4. I believe GPA might fall into one of those "screening tool" categories more than anything. 

Edited by Plasticity