Vanderbilt Peabody Fall 2016

morifol

On 1/29/2016 at 4:47 PM, nashville0808 said:

By now, all departments at Peabody have shortlisted prospective Ph.D. students and will send out (or have already sent out) an invitation to a recruitment weekend.

Do you know if this is the case with the joint psychology programs with the College of Arts & Sciences as well?

4 minutes ago, aebh615 said:

Do you know if this is the case with the joint psychology programs with the College of Arts & Sciences as well?

I would like to know this as well. I applied to the Educational Neuroscience PhD program which is TECHNICALLY run out of their interdisciplinary neurosciences program but there are faculty in neurosciences, psychology, and education that will be reviewing my application. Also, since I haven't found a single other person on here that has applied to this program... I have no idea what to expect... :-/

On 1/31/2016 at 5:39 PM, EdNeuroGrl said:

I would like to know this as well. I applied to the Educational Neuroscience PhD program which is TECHNICALLY run out of their interdisciplinary neurosciences program but there are faculty in neurosciences, psychology, and education that will be reviewing my application. Also, since I haven't found a single other person on here that has applied to this program... I have no idea what to expect... :-/

I'm not sure about these programs. There may be different time lines for these programs.

9 hours ago, nashville0808 said:

I'm not sure about these programs. There may be different time lines for these programs.

Hear that, @EdNeuroGrl? There is hope for us yet! I applied to the joint education and psychology with a focus in development & quant methods. I haven't seen posts about either of those anywhere, either. 

The PhD results have apparently been on the website from the 24th of January. At least the rejections. I got a rejection - not particularly sad, but genuinely puzzled - it's been there since the 24th of January. Is it truly SO difficult to send an e-mail?! Seriously?! I have had no idea.

2 hours ago, morifol said:

The PhD results have apparently been on the website from the 24th of January. 

How strange - I don't have a rejection (and I've been checking the website religiously) but I haven't heard anything re: interviews or visit days. Am I so rejected I don't even warrant a formal rejection?! So frustrating! 

Edited by aebh615

22 hours ago, morifol said:

The PhD results have apparently been on the website from the 24th of January. At least the rejections. I got a rejection - not particularly sad, but genuinely puzzled - it's been there since the 24th of January. Is it truly SO difficult to send an e-mail?! Seriously?! I have had no idea.

OMG my stomach is in a knot... What`s the link to check?  I think I have spent the last hour looking but I can`t find it.  Can you share the link?  Sorry about Vanderbilt, sending you a lot of positive energy so that you hear good news from the other schools. 

Just now, vandyhopeful said:

OMG my stomach is in a knot... What`s the link to check?  I think I have spent the last hour looking but I can`t find it.  Can you share the link?  Sorry about Vanderbilt, sending you a lot of positive energy so that you hear good news from the other schools. 

Thank you! Well, you log into their website (Peabody), and then just go into your application, and if should say something like 'a new message'... Tell me if you can't find it, I'll log in again and give you more precise info.

1 minute ago, morifol said:

Thank you! Well, you log into their website (Peabody), and then just go into your application, and if should say something like 'a new message'... Tell me if you can't find it, I'll log in again and give you more precise info.

Hi Morifol, 

I really cant all I see is the application and it just says submitted... and all the other links at the top take me to the university site.   Thank you so much for helping me. 

1 minute ago, vandyhopeful said:

Hi Morifol, 

I really cant all I see is the application and it just says submitted... and all the other links at the top take me to the university site.   Thank you so much for helping me. 

Wait a second then. :)

2 minutes ago, vandyhopeful said:

Hi Morifol, 

Ok. Application Management - then click on the 2016-2017 (blue) - Open Application - Status Update - An update to your application was last posted January 24, 2016. - View Update. If you don't have that, then maybe you don't have a rejection.

Applicants who did not receive an invitation e-mail to the recruitment weekend are not shortlisted. Applicants who got a rejection e-mail or notification were rejected. Applicants who did not hear about the recruitment weekend or rejection are on a waiting list. These applicants will hear from the admission office as admitted applicants decline offers. This may come in March, April, or May.

15 minutes ago, nashville0808 said:

Applicants who did not receive an invitation e-mail to the recruitment weekend are not shortlisted. Applicants who got a rejection e-mail or notification were rejected. Applicants who did not hear about the recruitment weekend or rejection are on a waiting list. These applicants will hear from the admission office as admitted applicants decline offers. This may come in March, April, or May.

Is that the same for masters students?

I contacted admissions about the timeline for joint programs - @EdNeuroGrl this might be of interest to you!

Your application is currently being evaluated, and you should have a decision by the end of the month. The lack of invitation to the visitation weekend isn't necessarily an implied rejection. Each program is different in its decision timeline, and especially because this is a joint program, they have a few extra hoops to jump through!

59 minutes ago, nashville0808 said:

Did admissions tell you that? Ugh I hate the waiting

19 hours ago, nashville0808 said:

I have the same question - where did you get this info? From PhD admissions? 

From PhD admissions and from my experience. I wasn't invited to the recruitment weekend but didn't receive a rejection e-mail or notification either. In late March, I was told that I was on a waiting list and eventually got an admission offer in April. However, this is a very rare case across the departments. Peabody's admission offers are very generous and it is unlikely that admitted students decline the offer. This wouldn't apply to masters' programs.

Masters admissions are going to be on a totally different timeline than PhD, and there is likely to be a lot of variation across departments (potentially even within departments by concentration or advisor). If you are a Master's applicant, you're in for a bit of a longer wait. 

For doc students, I second nashville0808's general assessment that if you haven't received an invite to the recruitment weekend you're not shortlisted, but it is still possible that you'll receive an offer later in the season. I also know that they stick to a stricter GRE score cutoff for the invitation to recruitment weekend than the necessarily do for admission, so if you are an applicant with lower GRE scores, but have other upsides and have been in contact with a faculty member the general assessment may not apply in your case. There are also always exceptions to any general rule, and, basically, you won't know until you know. I know the waiting sucks, but the only way out is through. 

I don't know specifically about joint programs' timelines. However, I know neuroscience is doing an interview/recruitment weekend this weekend. 

7 minutes ago, emilyrobot said:

Masters admissions are going to be on a totally different timeline than PhD, and there is likely to be a lot of variation across departments (potentially even within departments by concentration or advisor). If you are a Master's applicant, you're in for a bit of a longer wait. 

For doc students, I second nashville0808's general assessment that if you haven't received an invite to the recruitment weekend you're not shortlisted, but it is still possible that you'll receive an offer later in the season. I also know that they stick to a stricter GRE score cutoff for the invitation to recruitment weekend than the necessarily do for admission, so if you are an applicant with lower GRE scores, but have other upsides and have been in contact with a faculty member the general assessment may not apply in your case. There are also always exceptions to any general rule, and, basically, you won't know until you know. I know the waiting sucks, but the only way out is through. 

I don't know specifically about joint programs' timelines. However, I know neuroscience is doing an interview/recruitment weekend this weekend. 

What are your thoughts if others in masters in your program/track have heard and you haven't? 

Just now, Vandy12345? said:

What are your thoughts if others in masters in your program/track have heard and you haven't? 

I know this is a frustrating non-answer, but it's the best I've got: if you haven't heard that you've been rejected, that means you haven't been rejected (yet). If you haven't heard that you've been accepted, then you haven't been accepted (yet). No news is not news. 

There are a lot more variables in the air for the masters program that make it hard to speculate. I'm sorry I don't have anything more helpful to offer!

On 2/5/2016 at 1:08 PM, aebh615 said:

I contacted admissions about the timeline for joint programs - @EdNeuroGrl this might be of interest to you!

Your application is currently being evaluated, and you should have a decision by the end of the month. The lack of invitation to the visitation weekend isn't necessarily an implied rejection. Each program is different in its decision timeline, and especially because this is a joint program, they have a few extra hoops to jump through!

Thanks for letting me know about this. I have been wondering.

I have one interview coming up in a little less than 2 weeks, and there seems to be some precedent for NOT doing interviews at all in a couple of the programs I've applied to ... so I'm getting a little concerned. 

I'm gonna be honest all things being equal I am far more likely to take a spot where they've bothered to keep me in the loop and do interviews and phone calls... My schools are pretty half-and-half as far as this strategy is concerned. *shrug* I guess we will see. I'm glad to know that I haven't entirely missed the Vanderbilt boat.