2016 Acceptance Thread

1 hour ago, solomonski said:

Damn, man! So what is that now -- Duke Lit, UChicago, Vanderbilt, now Brown?? You must have had one hell of an application! :D

Thanks :D And, yeah--it's pretty crazy, and somewhat unexpected. I mean, I do have a pretty solid application/background/collection of recommendations, but I honestly  wasn't expecting quite this positive of a response. Would probably have applied less widely if I knew that my particular combination of research interests was as attractive as it apparently is.

What are those interests, if you don't mind me asking? This whole process really confirms for me that FIT truly is the most important thing. I've got good scores, solid application, great recs as well, and it seems what has made the difference is that my acceptances have come from places that are interested in doing the kind of projects I mentioned, and the rejections have come from places where they didn't feel that would be very well supported. 

Congrats to everyone who has been receiving acceptances! I can now finally add my name to this list, as I just received an email from the DGS at Texas A&M informing me I was accepted. So incredibly relieved and excited that I will have an option to pursue doctoral work!

1 hour ago, solomonski said:

What are those interests, if you don't mind me asking? This whole process really confirms for me that FIT truly is the most important thing. I've got good scores, solid application, great recs as well, and it seems what has made the difference is that my acceptances have come from places that are interested in doing the kind of projects I mentioned, and the rejections have come from places where they didn't feel that would be very well supported. 

Pm'd. But, tbh, the particulars probably don't really matter, as the bit about having particularly attractive interests was sort of a joke, as (just to note, for posterity's sake) I wouldn't exactly encourage anyone applying next year to jump on whatever seems to be the hot-button areas (and all that follows here is just general advice for anyone applying next year that might stumble upon this)--as you've said yourself, solomonski, and as many many many have on here over the years: yes: it's definitely about fit, and there are many different programs with many different really strong areas (I applied to none that didn't at least have 3 people working in my areas--and there were a lot that didn't meet that criteria [but would have if I was working on something else]) but also something about somehow conveying both a breadth of interest along with a depth of passion in your particular subject (which is hard if you try to jump into something because it seems more "marketable," or something) within the 500-1000 words you have for a SOP, one that connects somehow to your writing sample. So really: everything that gets repeated on this board is totally true, regardless of area of interest (as long as you somehow come into conversation with recent scholarship on that area).

Edited by haltheincandescent

On 2/11/2016 at 11:11 AM, maenaew said:

Like Cincinnati, this isn't a super famous program, but both of them are good fits for my somewhat odd research interests (the field I want to enter is barely 30 years old and doesn't have any real major players yet).

Great program, congrats! UW-Milwaukee was recently re-categorized as an R1, much to the excitement of my friend who is currently there. I imagine the program will just get better and better. 

Chiming in to say I've been accepted to the University of Delaware's PhD program with full funding.

I've also been waitlisted at UConn, so I'd imagine decisions are out for them. I tried to coax the size of the waitlist out of the UConn DGS without outright asking but no dice.

Does anyone have thoughts about Delaware's program? I haven't seen much about it on here.

I'm not really sure how to take this comment. Initially I hoped it was a dark joke about Trump's opinions, but on second thought, I'm not sure. The tone of this website normally seems so supportive, and this comment - if meant seriously - is troubling both here and in terms of how the admitted applicant views the academic world:

Cornell University English, PhD (F16) Accepted via E-mail on 12 Feb 2016  A 13 Feb 2016
  • POI, still unofficial. To American students who didn't get admission: try again after trump (if elected) lowers student visa numbers. That will help a lot. Good luck!

4 hours ago, teacherM7 said:

I'm not really sure how to take this comment. Initially I hoped it was a dark joke about Trump's opinions, but on second thought, I'm not sure. The tone of this website normally seems so supportive, and this comment - if meant seriously - is troubling both here and in terms of how the admitted applicant views the academic world:

Cornell University English, PhD (F16) Accepted via E-mail on 12 Feb 2016  A 13 Feb 2016
  • POI, still unofficial. To American students who didn't get admission: try again after trump (if elected) lowers student visa numbers. That will help a lot. Good luck!

I saw that too! Wtf, right?? Rude.

Edited by sarabethke

4 hours ago, teacherM7 said:

10 minutes ago, sarabethke said:

I saw that too! Wtf, right?? Rude.

The amount of resting bitch-face I did at my screen almost set my face that way permanently. (If guys have resting bitch face...?)

I thought it was just me and that I was missing some joke that was possibly funny? Any way I tried to spin it the comment seemed kind of silly. I'm assuming the applicant felt relief at the acceptance to Cornell and tried to make a joke that just did not come off funny.

9 hours ago, DJS said:

I thought it was just me and that I was missing some joke that was possibly funny? Any way I tried to spin it the comment seemed kind of silly. I'm assuming the applicant felt relief at the acceptance to Cornell and tried to make a joke that just did not come off funny.

I hope that was the intention. Can't help but think Cornell would have something to say if they saw that comment. Glad others think it's off.

10 hours ago, DJS said:

Me too. I hate to think of one dingus sullying the supportive atmosphere around here, I imagine all the stress of application season just culminated into this bizarre attempt at light-heartedness. 

26 minutes ago, Ezzy123 said:

Me too. I hate to think of one dingus sullying the supportive atmosphere around here, I imagine all the stress of application season just culminated into this bizarre attempt at light-heartedness. 

Interesting that's in the anonymous results section though. Now I'm imagining this applicant uploading that comment in the "supporting docs" section of his/her app to Cornell, and Cornell's reply:

Dear sir/madam:

While your metrics and research interests align well with our institution's standards, your xenophobic comments do not. It is not our policy to admit internet trolls to the program. Unfortunately, we are rescinding our offer and accepting an international candidate in your place.

Regards

Cornell's DGS

-------

Ok I'm done. Let's get back to congratulating people.

6 minutes ago, teacherM7 said:

Interesting that's in the anonymous results section though. Now I'm imagining this applicant uploading that comment in the "supporting docs" section of his/her app to Cornell, and Cornell's reply:

Dear sir/madam:

While your metrics and research interests align well with our institution's standards, your xenophobic comments do not. It is not our policy to admit internet trolls to the program. Unfortunately, we are rescinding our offer and accepting an international candidate in your place.

Regards

Cornell's DGS

-------

Ok I'm done. Let's get back to congratulating people.

Deleted my last comment because this one just says it all. ^^^^

Here's hoping programs contact some of us today saying, "We love you and your research interests. Will you be our Valentine? For the next five years?"

Edited by sarabethke

I already got accepted, but I received another congratulatory email this weekend from a professor in the one school's department whose work I read and who I really admire, so I started mildly fan-girling because he told me that I was welcome to call or email him to ask any questions and that he hoped to see me in his seminar in the fall. I just felt so honored and so giddy!

I'm still waiting on other schools, but these people make me wanna accept right away!!

So, I got accepted to an MA program with a TA position (tuition waived!). However, I'll have to start a year later because I have to take provisional courses since my undergrad studies were not in English. Does anyone have any advice for provisional classes or any info on this? The school is being super helpful on getting me into the program and funded, and even though I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools, I want to be prepared for the courses (because not being satisfactory after they went through the trouble to get me there would feel terrible). 

Edited by CasuallyScreaming

Hi all. I haven't heard from Emory (English, PhD), Duke (literature, PhD), or Brown (English PhD) yet. I see that people already received acceptances and rejections. Does anyone know what it means to not hear at all ? Is there a slight possibility of still getting accepted?

34 minutes ago, AudreLorde said:

Hi all. I haven't heard from Emory (English, PhD), Duke (literature, PhD), or Brown (English PhD) yet. I see that people already received acceptances and rejections. Does anyone know what it means to not hear at all ? Is there a slight possibility of still getting accepted?

I'm also waiting on Emory English....I've got a feeling since no one has posted a rejection yet though, that they just haven't notified anyone else. Maybe one of us should send an email to ask where they are in the process?