PhD Biomedical/Bioengineering/EE Fall 2016 Profiles

Nallapar

26 minutes ago, jjjjjelly said:

Has anyone received the Stanford e-mail yet? They said it would be sent out yesterday, but have not received it yet :\
edit: or does anyone have a status update about it? Thanks :)

Nope. I guess we will just have to wait a little bit longer. When I get one, I'll post on this thread (unless someone posts first).

51 minutes ago, Dr_Patel said:

Johns Hopkins and U Penn have already sent out interview invites. As far as I am aware, you need to receive an interview to have a chance at admission.

I saw from the thread that they have already sent out their invites, but I am not sure if they have sent all.

22 minutes ago, DJ said:

I saw from the thread that they have already sent out their invites, but I am not sure if they have sent all.

Both their interview weekends are fast approaching and the RSVPs have passed. There might be a very small chance they will send out more, but I wouldn't count on it; you can probably call them to find out about the status of your application. Best of luck! 

Well, February is really a busy schedule for everyone I guess! I have to go to UCB and Stan but my semester examinations are conflicting with the proposed dates. The graduate admission has advised me to visit the campuses on 7/8/9th March instead. Just wondering if visiting the campus this late would affect my chances of getting admitted. 

38 minutes ago, Dr_Patel said:

Both their interview weekends are fast approaching and the RSVPs have passed. There might be a very small chance they will send out more, but I wouldn't count on it; you can probably call them to find out about the status of your application. Best of luck! 

Thanks Dr_Patel..

Just Skyped with a POI from UW-Seattle just now (wasn't the one that posted on the results page).
I'm guessing the invites for UW will be sent out sometime next week, as he e-mailed me the past weekend to talk either today or Saturday, 1/31.

3 hours ago, DJ said:

GRE: 324 (157 Q, 167 V, 3.5 AWA)

Domestic/International (TOEFL/IELTS): International  TOEFL: 105

UG GPA: 8.5/10

Masters GPA: 3.75 

Research experience: 2 different internships, 1 bachelors project and 2 years masters research experience

Research publications, patents, conferences: 2 manuscripts are in preparation

PHD intended specialization: Tissue engineering/ Regenerative Medicine (Musculoskeletal Regeneration)

University list:

1) Stanford Biosciences

2) MIT Biology

3) UCSF/UC Berkeley Bioengineering

4) Harvard BBS

5) Johns Hopkins Biomedical Engineering

6) Cornell BCMB

7) UPENN Bioengineering

8) Columbia Biomedical Engineering

9) Wisconsin Biomedical Engineering

I got rejection from Stanford, MIT, UCSF/UC, Harvard. Has anyone heard about the rest? Would you please update me on the rest of the universities?

As far as I know, UC Berkeley, Johns Hopkins, and UPenn have sent out their interview invites and Columbia has not sent any notifications yet. I can't speak for Cornell BCMB or Wisconsin.

39 minutes ago, jjjjjelly said:

Just Skyped with a POI from UW-Seattle just now (wasn't the one that posted on the results page).
I'm guessing the invites for UW will be sent out sometime next week, as he e-mailed me the past weekend to talk either today or Saturday, 1/31.

Pretty sure we're Skyping with the same POI! I am chatting with a POI on Saturday that gave me the option of today or Saturday. ;) How did it go?

1 minute ago, Extra Espresso said:

Pretty sure we're Skyping with the same POI! I am chatting with a POI on Saturday that gave me the option of today or Saturday. ;) How did it go?

Haha nice! It went well-- pretty standard of talking a little bit about myself and learning about his research. He was super nice!

4 hours ago, DJ said:

I got rejection from Stanford, MIT, UCSF/UC, Harvard. Has anyone heard about the rest? Would you please update me on the rest of the universities?

What degree were you applying to for Harvard? I haven't heard anything from them one way or the other.

31 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

What degree were you applying to for Harvard? I haven't heard anything from them one way or the other.

I applied for PhD program and I have contacted the program coordinator to ask for the result status.

I called Stanford regarding the fact that I had a conflict with their interview date. They said that there were a lot of people facing scheduling issues. When you fill out the google form, put your availability in the final comments box because they are potentially considering adding a second interview weekend (if there is enough people that would utilize it). I'm not free at all during February so I'm hoping for March 3-4 for a second interview weekend. Otherwise, I guess we can all skype interview, but I would prefer to avoid doing that...

Hey guys! Also a long-time lurker here. Congrats to all on their interviews and acceptances! Is anyone else in the situation of having interviews at Caltech and Stanford BioE on the same weekend, Feb 25-27? I'm really not sure what to do here. They are probably my top two choices and I don't want to hurt my chances at either by asking to reschedule. I'm also coming from the East coast of the U.S. so it would be nice to do them both in one trip if possible. 

Edited by ndriscol

2 hours ago, Jelly said:

Has anyone heard back from CWRU BME for scheduling travel to the BME Open House? I have yet to hear anything after confirming that I'm visiting. I'm assuming that the recruiting department is just busy with emails/setting everything up. Thanks!

I called them today. The administrator I spoke with was very rude and she told me I don't need to do anything until I contact them again. 

Edited by Nallapar

Got accepted to BME @ Rice! =D Very exciting! However, just like WashU in St. Louis, all of the open houses are scheduled during other times where I have already committed to an interview. I guess these are good problems though and I can skype with professors that are interested in doing research. I don't want to make a final decision though until I visit and see the fit, so maybe I'll have to visit on my own time. 

1 hour ago, Nallapar said:

I called them today. The administrator I spoke with was very rude and she told me I don't need to do anything until I contact them again. 

Thanks for checking. I'm sure they're just receiving a large influx of emails and calls and will likely get back to us sometime this week. This is probably a lot to coordinate for both sides.

1 hour ago, ndriscol said:

Hey guys! Also a long-time lurker here. Congrats to all on their interviews and acceptances! Is anyone else in the situation of having interviews at Caltech and Stanford BioE on the same weekend, Feb 25-27? I'm really not sure what to do here. They are probably my top two choices and I don't want to hurt my chances at either by asking to reschedule. I'm also coming from the East coast of the U.S. so it would be nice to do them both in one trip if possible. 

I was in the same situation. I bit the bullet and (very politely) asked the Caltech coordinator if I could interview at an alternate date, and she suggested Feb. 4-6 (which is apparently their first visit weekend). It's short notice, but if you e-mail her now/tomorrow morning you may be able to get a slot.

2 hours ago, Dr_Patel said:

I called Stanford regarding the fact that I had a conflict with their interview date. They said that there were a lot of people facing scheduling issues. When you fill out the google form, put your availability in the final comments box because they are potentially considering adding a second interview weekend (if there is enough people that would utilize it). I'm not free at all during February so I'm hoping for March 3-4 for a second interview weekend. Otherwise, I guess we can all skype interview, but I would prefer to avoid doing that...

March 3-4 would work so much better

Just a final update on JHU BME: we have sent out all of the interview invitations. We have not sent out rejections because some faculty have some last minute acceptances, but these are rare (only a couple in the last week). 

You do need an interview to be considered for acceptance although several interviews take place via. Skype due to location and, on the more unique cases, due to scheduling. 

Good luck to everyone with the rest of your interviews :) as always, message me if you have any questions regarding the Hopkins interviews or program.

Apparently there's still hope for CMU! I was emailed by a professor today that 3 profs want to Skype with me about my application. Just yesterday I sent an email to the program admin saying that I'm a Hertz finalist, so I wonder if that greased the wheels.

On January 26, 2016 at 7:26 PM, frozencurry said:

For anyone else visiting Caltech Feb. 4-6 - did you receive the contact information for a Caltech-associated travel agent to book your flights? Or are we expected to book ourselves and then submit for reimbursement later?

Just email Linda and she will give you the contact information for the travel agent

Interviews start next week for JHU BME! As a first year who recently went through what you're going through, I'm looking forward to meeting all of you who are coming! Also good luck to everyone in their grad school search! I hope you can find your perfect fit.

Also feel free to send me a message if you want to know about living in Baltimore/interviews/the program. I've really liked living in the city so far, despite all the bad press we get. :)

5 minutes ago, madbiochemist said:

Interviews start next week for JHU BME!

I'll be interviewing next week! While I know that I should be able to answer questions on my research and future plans, what is your opinion on reading papers. I plan on reading what the professors generally work on (like from their lab webpage), but do you think there is any real value in reading their papers? Being my first interview, I'm not really sure it could help during the interview, but maybe I'm wrong.