MPH Canada Fall 2016

Snehal2410

Hey all,

Congratulations to the future grads in this thread! 

This week I received my offer of admission to UBC's MSc in Population/Public Health. It is conditional, and it will be official when the school of graduate studies acknowledges SPPH has recommended me for the program and also accepts me.

If you are also accepted send me a direct message! I would love to get to know you better.

Cheers

16 hours ago, mph2016AK said:

Has anyone heard back from schools other than McGill or UBC? Like Guelph, Western or Waterloo?

In Waterloo's confirmation email (received around when you submitted your application), they said that we should expect to hear back during Mid to Late March! I'm going by the assumption that Guelph might be around the same since the deadline was the same date, and I feel like they would have similar number of applicants (again just my assumption). 

Edited by CL123

Congratulations to everyone who received an offer of admission from McGill! I am still waiting to hear back from them. According to uApply, my application is still under review. Does anyone know if McGill only has 1 round of admissions? I hope to hear from them soon. This waiting game is nerve wracking!

18 minutes ago, FishAndChips said:

Congratulations to everyone who received an offer of admission from McGill! I am still waiting to hear back from them. According to uApply, my application is still under review. Does anyone know if McGill only has 1 round of admissions? I hope to hear from them soon. This waiting game is nerve wracking!

I know that last year people were still receiving offers at the end of March

2 hours ago, FishAndChips said:

Ok, thanks for letting me know! 

Our deadline to accept is March 23rd, so they might be sending out more offers after people have declined. Good luck! 

5 hours ago, FishAndChips said:

Our deadline to accept is March 23rd, so they might be sending out more offers after people have declined. Good luck! 

I got my rejection from UBC's MPH program the other day.

3.66 GPA with strong non-academic profile (letters of recommendation, health promotion internship, etc...)

I am surprised that they didn't wait-list me first.

Hey everyone! Thanks for all participating in this forum. In order to help each other out more, when saying what offers you received or any rejections, please specify GPA for last two years (and what scale, 4.33 or 4.0 etc) so that others applying have a feel for what they need to get accepted. We all know that these programs have a 3.3 minimum GPA (on a 4.0 scale) but that usually does not cut it! So please mention what it is :) THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH AND BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE! 

Edited by friesandwater
typo

Just received an offer for UBC's MPH program today! Also applied to SFU and UofT [Health Promotion]

Profile:

• UBC undergrad
  • 3 years part-time and1.5 years full-time RA work in public health/some volunteer work related to social justice and health promotion
  • 80% average in all upper level courses [I even failed a course towards the end of my degree so there's hope for the rest of you!]

Feel free to reach out if you have further questions! :)

On Saturday, December 26, 2015 at 7:03 PM, Snehal2410 said:

I am a Public Health Professional from India.

Qualification: M.B.B.S. and M.D. (Preventive and Social Medicine / Community Medicine)

G.P.A.:

only available for MBBS - 3.2

no GPA for MD

Work Experience:

1. Lecturer in Department of Preventive and Social Medicine (2 years 9 months)

2. Medical Consultant in Revised National TB Control Program supporting network (WHO) (10 Months)

3. Medical Consultant for United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) for a project on Biomedical Waste Management (5 months)

4. Medical Consultant for UNICEF (Maternal and Child Health Program) (3 months and continuing)

Research Experience:

1. Thesis on MDR TB during my M.D.

2. Research paper published about Biomedical Waste Management in International Jurnal

3. Research paper published about TB in National Journal of Community Medicine

4. Paper presentations (Oral and Poster) in International, National and State Conferences.

With my this Academic and Professional background, I am wiling to apply for MPH -Environmental and Occupational Health at U o T, McMaster, U o A, U o Sask, SFU, MPH - Epidemiology at University of Guelph.

Already submitted applications in U o A (SOPHAS - app verified), U o G, SFU, U of Sask)

In the process of completing application for McMaster and U o T.

Please guide me from previous experience about my Chances. I know my GPA is low but still do I have a chance ?

Hey everyone! 
I just got admission into UBCs MPH program today and submitted my application for USask yesterday (only two I applied for) - not to get too ahead of myself, but was wondering if anyone has advice/opinions on which MPH program they would go for (UBC vs USask)? 

I know UBCs program is relatively new (first graduation cohort 2010) so its a little hard to find detailed information on post-degree outcomes. Whereas, I have met with and spoken to multiple alumni from Sask who speak very highly of the program and their experiences.. would love to get the same amount of information on UBC

Thanks! 

hi rsranmph,

Can you please share your academic and experience background? and are you an international student or canadian? i have also applied in u of s my application status is ' complete ready for review' though i have completed application in January.   so what is your application status shows in this uni? if you get any massage from u of s please share it. 

thanks

7 hours ago, mph applicant said:

hi rsranmph,

Can you please share your academic and experience background? and are you an international student or canadian? i have also applied in u of s my application status is ' complete ready for review' though i have completed application in January.   so what is your application status shows in this uni? if you get any massage from u of s please share it. 

thanks

hey!

sure, I'm currently completing my BHSc majoring in Health & Society and my GPA is a 3.4 for past 2 years - so probably on the lower end of the competitive side. I've been working as an RA since summer of 2nd year and currently completing my honors thesis, through this research I have some conference/presentation experience. I also do some volunteering with local organizations (mostly passionate about working with vulnerable populations, ie. forensic youth & adults with a disability) & have some leadership experience with being on exec team of a university started healthcare improvement network, (I'm very interested in Canada's HC system & quality improvement). Feel free to msg me if you'd like to know more :) (oh, and I'm a Canadian student)

I submitted my Sask application just a couple days ago I don't think they've entered in my CV and LOI as submitted yet so it still just says processed. Is Sask the only school you applied to? & whys that? my main issue was looking into this a little too late this missing early deadlines, such as the December one set out by UofA. do you (or anyone else) have any thoughts on UBC vs USask for MPH?

Edited by rsranmph

Got accepted to UBC's MPH! I also applied to U of T for their MPH Health Promotion stream. I'm trying to explore both options and distinguish them - I'm very interested in social justice and community research. I'm curious as to how good UBC's MPH program is at integrating the qualitative+SJ aspect. If anyone has insight to offer, I'd love to hear it!

Hello All - USask MPH Applicant - 3.7/4 GPA (3.9 or something in last 2 years... full disclosure.. these are just calculated using random internet sites from percentages) with a strong profile of community involvement and work history, maybe moderate research background. It's the only one I applied to because I want to study in Sask.

Still waiting - but from the looks of it acceptance emails or letters went out around the 9/10 of March last year. 

To the person who was debating USask vs UBC - USask just posted a profile of a 2014 graduate who is already the Manager of Public Health services for a rural health region, after a year in a supervisory role....cool.  Honestly I would choose based on city.  USask's program has a great reputation, and basically anything with UBC's name on it is automatically considered gold.  Saskatoon is a wildly neat city with extremely cold winter weather, dry, beautiful summers and medium-high rentals, obviously Vancouver is amazing  - and  is warmer but rainy, cloudy and super expensive. 

I found this link for the best universities for PH (based on reputation and research):

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/social-sciences-public-health

Since some of you have a range of choices :) :

Canada specifically - top three were: 1) UofT 2) UBC and 3) McGill - not sure how much this is based on actual program details vs. reputation.