MPH Canada Fall 2016

Snehal2410

I am a Public Health Professional from India.

Qualification: M.B.B.S. and M.D. (Preventive and Social Medicine / Community Medicine)

G.P.A.:

only available for MBBS - 3.2

no GPA for MD

Work Experience:

1. Lecturer in Department of Preventive and Social Medicine (2 years 9 months)

2. Medical Consultant in Revised National TB Control Program supporting network (WHO) (10 Months)

3. Medical Consultant for United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) for a project on Biomedical Waste Management (5 months)

4. Medical Consultant for UNICEF (Maternal and Child Health Program) (3 months and continuing)

Research Experience:

1. Thesis on MDR TB during my M.D.

2. Research paper published about Biomedical Waste Management in International Jurnal

3. Research paper published about TB in National Journal of Community Medicine

4. Paper presentations (Oral and Poster) in International, National and State Conferences.

With my this Academic and Professional background, I am wiling to apply for MPH -Environmental and Occupational Health at U o T, McMaster, U o A, U o Sask, SFU, MPH - Epidemiology at University of Guelph.

Already submitted applications in U o A (SOPHAS - app verified), U o G, SFU, U of Sask)

In the process of completing application for McMaster and U o T.

Please guide me from previous experience about my Chances. I know my GPA is low but still do I have a chance ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! 

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on my situation. My last year gpa is a 3.33. I want to apply to UofTs EPI program but I don't know if I'm competitive enough. My experiences are pretty good. I have a lot of quantitative and qualitative research experience through coop and work study jobs throughout the year. I also have a lot of volunteer experiences throughout my undergraduate year. My references are solid as well, as I have one from my employer, and two from professors I did research with. 

Anyone care to share if they think I should stay back to boost my gpa or apply because I have somewhat of a shot? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Good luck with the application cycle!

I'm currently enrolled in Western's MPH program. Although I'm doing exceptionally well and my grades are great, I have had a terrible, terrible experience with the department staff, faculty, the courses, and the program structure. If anyone plans on applying there, please feel free to reach out to me with any questions you may have. I am happy to provide my brutally honest opinion and share the opinions of some of my classmates as well.

P.S. I do have another account on Grad Cafe but I was worried that if I posted anything bad about the program under that username, my professors would know that it's me because the username contained part of my name.

hello friends,

i am from india.

i have also applied for mph fall-2016 in some universities in canada.

academic and experience  background:- graduation in ayurveda health science(bams) with first class. GPA 3.4 

studied subject of preventive medicine, yoga and nature care with first class.

on year internship in college hospital.

two years experience in preventive medicine, yoga and nature care in private domain.

three years experience as health officer in primary health centre in government sector.

conducted many health awareness camps, yoga sessions in phc population as well supervision  and provide guidance in all national health programmes.

i have got some trainings and attended many workshops  related to health fields from health department of india.

Please guide me  about my Chances.  do I have a chance for admission?

and if any one get offer letter than acknowledge and share details of it.

On 1/29/2016 at 9:40 AM, emmaka said:

Hey everyone,

Good luck with the application cycle!

I'm currently enrolled in Western's MPH program. Although I'm doing exceptionally well and my grades are great, I have had a terrible, terrible experience with the department staff, faculty, the courses, and the program structure. If anyone plans on applying there, please feel free to reach out to me with any questions you may have. I am happy to provide my brutally honest opinion and share the opinions of some of my classmates as well.

P.S. I do have another account on Grad Cafe but I was worried that if I posted anything bad about the program under that username, my professors would know that it's me because the username contained part of my name.

Hi emmaka, 

Funny enough, I just submitted my application to Western yesterday. Would you mind sharing your "brutally honest opinions" here? 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

can people who applied throw down their GPAs and degrees and stuff just so we can evaluate where everyone is at.

Its always difficult when the program says you need a B but no one gets in without an A-

anyway for me i did a BA in environment health and my last 2 years is a 3.72 GPA and overall 3.4 GPA 

i applied to queens and guelph. anyone know if this seems competitive? any current pupils here? what were your GPAs? 

Hi All!

Has anyone applied abroad? I applied to the University of New South Wales in Australia for their dual masters - MPH and one in international health. I received an offer recently and would like to hear from others about this. I want to work in Canada after and am worried if I went through with it, my chances are lower. Thoughts?

Waiting to hear back from Canadian schools till (uOfT, UofA) but I heard U of T's program isn't the greatest either.

Hi Everyone!

I applied to the following programs:

-U of A - MPH, Health Promotion Specialization

-University of Waterloo - MPH, Sociobehavioural Sciences concentration

-University of Toronto  - MPH, Social and Behavioural Health Science

Hopefully some of us will start hearing back from programs in early March. 

Edited by Jassy

hello friends!

its boring time now! waiting for hearing some news.

i would like to ask about usask mph application status.

i have completed my application last month and my application status is showing " complete ready for review "  yet. so any one has any ideas about this status and is it changed in  profile of any student currently?

please say if anybody's profile change from this status to other.

Hi All,

I applied to UofT MPH (OEH) and UBC MSc (OEH).

I was invited to an interview this Friday for UofT. I was contacted on Feb 16th. 
Wish me luck! Or if anyone knows what to expect -- that would helpful! 

I was admitted to UBC on Feb 17th :)

Cheers!

1 hour ago, 88vyrus said:

Hi All,

I applied to UofT MPH (OEH) and UBC MSc (OEH).

I was invited to an interview this Friday for UofT. I was contacted on Feb 16th. 
Wish me luck! Or if anyone knows what to expect -- that would helpful! 

I was admitted to UBC on Feb 17th :)

Cheers!

Goodluck!!

Thats great to hear. Would you mind me asking what your qualifications were? E.g. GPA, volunteer, research?

On 2/15/2016 at 1:04 AM, Clo said:

can people who applied throw down their GPAs and degrees and stuff just so we can evaluate where everyone is at.

Its always difficult when the program says you need a B but no one gets in without an A-

anyway for me i did a BA in environment health and my last 2 years is a 3.72 GPA and overall 3.4 GPA 

i applied to queens and guelph. anyone know if this seems competitive? any current pupils here? what were your GPAs? 

I applied to Queens, Guelph, McMaster and McGill. My average is around the same as yours, GPA 3.69 for the past 2 years. Hoping that's good enough? It's an average of 83% but unfortunately I had a few 79's. Hopefully they take into account work experience, volunteer, etc. My friend said she heard back from Queens last year around late Feb/early March so should be coming up

On 2/15/2016 at 1:04 AM, Clo said:

Scratch that, just got accepted to MGill!!!!:) so 3.69 GPA is good enough I guess

5 hours ago, mph2016AK said:

Goodluck!!

Thats great to hear. Would you mind me asking what your qualifications were? E.g. GPA, volunteer, research?

Thanks!

My cGPA is 3.85/4.3
Last 2 Years GPA: 4.0/4.3

Experience: 16 months full time experience, 2 months part-time experience, and 6+ months of part-time research experience (still doing this). Also currently finishing my undergraduate (B.A.Sc.) in a very relevant program. 

My cGPA is 3.72/4.00, GPA in the last 2 years was 3.88/4.00

Has anyone heard back from Queen's yet? McGill has given me until March 22 to accept, Queen's is another top choice for me.

My Bachelor's was in Environment:Ecological Determinants of health...so pretty relevant for Public Health, and I did a minor in Life Sciences. I had 6 months of volunteer research in a top Pharmacology lab at McGill, and also did a final semester group research project on food systems in Montreal/their social aspects. As for work experience, I didn't have much related to Public Health...but I had a lot of environmental work experience with the public this past summer, and have held various part time jobs working with the public for the past 10 years.

I also started out in math at McGill, which I think may have helped justify my interest in the math aspect of the program (and I also had pretty strong math grades).

Edited by clhMPH

Hey friends! 

This is my first post, so I apologize if I somehow mess this up! haha 

I just received my offer of admission from McGill yesterday, and I was wondering as to if anyone has heard anything special about the program itself. I know that since the program is a MScPH it's more stats and epidemiology compared to some of the other schools like Waterloo or Guelph. In addition, one of my main concerns is that since I don't speak French, I'm wondering whether that will hinder the opportunity for me to have a practicum at a local public health agency. Has anyone heard of this being an issue? 

In addition to McGill, I also applied to Guelph, Waterloo, and Toronto (Behavioural Science).

Thanks for your time!  

Edited by CL123

Hi everyone! I received an unofficial offer of admission from McGill for the MScPH (non-thesis) program yesterday via email. The official letter of admission was made available today through their online system. Deadline to accept is March 22'ish (22nd or 23rd—can't recall).

I'm currently finishing up my BSc double-major in Geography and Interactive Technology at SFU. My cumulative GPA is 3.88/4.33, and my GPA in the last two years is 4.06/4.33. I have two years of experience working part-time for a community health organization, and one year of part-time experience doing environmental health research.

Waiting to hear back from McGill's MSc in Epidemiology (thesis) and SFU's MSc in Health Sciences (thesis) programs. I also applied for CIHR, but my CIHR application at McGill was rejected and still waiting to hear back on my CIHR results from SFU. If I get a CIHR grant at SFU, I will most likely turn down McGill's offer.

Congratulations to those who have heard back, and good luck to everyone!

Edited by LSP

For anyone who applied to the programs at the UBC School of Population and Public Health - I believe MSc and PhD acceptances went out this/last week. MPH admissions meetings were held this week so prospective students should find out in a week or so? Source: I work there but also applied for this the '16 cycle

Edited by emph

Did anyone who applied for an MPH at McMaster receive any confirmation that they received their transcript/application? It still says my transcripts and references are 'initiated' on Mosaic :/

5 hours ago, pulse said:

Did anyone who applied for an MPH at McMaster receive any confirmation that they received their transcript/application? It still says my transcripts and references are 'initiated' on Mosaic :/

My application for McMaster MPH did say initiated but as of a week ago it all says completed now. My friend's still says initiated though, so I think they're just slowly going through each of them. 

1 hour ago, musicfreak said:

My application for McMaster MPH did say initiated but as of a week ago it all says completed now. My friend's still says initiated though, so I think they're just slowly going through each of them. 

Oh okay, thank you!