MPH Canada Fall 2016

Snehal2410

33 minutes ago, musicfreak said:

I've been accepted to Queen's MPH and will be taking that over McGill. 

When did you find out about Queen's?

I'm having trouble deciding between McGill (have been accepted), UofT and Queen's if I also get accepted there. What made you choose Queen's over McGill?

20 minutes ago, clhMPH said:

When did you find out about Queen's?

I'm having trouble deciding between McGill (have been accepted), UofT and Queen's if I also get accepted there. What made you choose Queen's over McGill?

I found out about queens yesterday. I have also applied to McMaster and Guelph and am waiting to hear back (have an interview at Mac tomorrow for MSc ehealth). I am not a big math person, and McGill's courses emphasized statistics and epidemiology a lot more. I like how Queen's is well-rounded with a wide variety of courses. Goodluck!

So glad I found this forum. Reading about the progress of others helps with the wait!

I applied to U of T, U of Saskatchewan and Simon Fraser University. The wait is killing me as I haven't heard back from any of them yet.

Fingers crossed! I'm hoping for good news soon!

I got an email saying I've been recommended for acceptance for SFU yesterday!

But I didn't hear back from Queen's, but others on this forum have already got their acceptances.

I'm assuming this means schools are sending out early acceptances right now? (or i just didn't get into Queen's)

Edited by mphopeful94

On 09/03/2016 at 9:16 PM, Epi16 said:

Hey guys!

I'm a fourth year Biomedical Science undergrad from University of Guelph, applying for epi programs next year. I included the schools & statuses below. My stats are a 2 year GPA of about ~3.71, experience in academic epidemiology (undergraduate thesis in population medicine), work experience in public health epi (position was health data analyst), and good reference letters (coordinator of Guelph's MPH program and a medical officer of health). However, I haven't been published yet and haven't presented at any major conferences, which I'm worried about. Toronto's MPH (epi stream) is my top choice, but judging from last year's forums I'm not expecting to hear until late april or early may, which sucks :( Any other epi applicants in here?? I'm getting antsy waiting to hear back. Good luck everyone!

Toronto: Under Review

Western: had interview on Feb 29th, still waiting to hear back but I'm not optimistic (they wanted me to have OGS funding...)

Ottawa: Under Review

Guelph: my prof has agreed to work with me again

Hey.. I too applied to U of T epi program. My application still says the status is under review. Did you hear anything?

1 hour ago, Riya11 said:

Hey.. I too applied to U of T epi program. My application still says the status is under review. Did you hear anything?

No I'm still under review too! I'm not expecting to hear anything until at least april 15th, like it says on the DLSPH website. In past years students were hearing back as late as the end of May...I've read that your status on the SGS website never actually changes from "under review," you'll only know that you're in when they email you! Hope that helps, good luck :)

12 minutes ago, Mila19 said:

@MPHopeful

Hey congratulations to you too! When did you apply and were you offered a scholarship?

hey! thanks :) i applied late january, i'm not too certain which day exactly but the last week of january. and no i was only told that i will be receiving an official admission 1-2 weeks from now

Edited by mphopeful94

Long time lurker here, but first post! :D

Congratulations to everyone who've gotten acceptances, and to us still waiting, I'm sure we'll be hearing back soon so don't lose hope!

Anw, @MPHopeful @mphopeful94, just wondering which stream your SFU acceptances from and if the acceptance came from the Grad Admissions or from the specific stream itself.

Thanks!

Edited by Mcanmph91

@Mila19

Thank you! It's a fantastic program, but I will likely be declining the spot for UBC or U of T (if I get in)

I submitted my application to SFU's MPH program (Population Health Science concentration) about a week before the deadline on Feb 1st.

I wasn't provided any scholarship information with the email, but from my understanding very few newly admitted MPH students receive scholarships or funding, since it is a professional (not research) program.

I have been accepted to Queens MPH :)I was wondering if you guys know when approximately other schools get back to us. I have until April 1 to respond to Queens.

Thanks!

On 09/03/2016 at 9:16 PM, Epi16 said:

Hey guys!

I'm a fourth year Biomedical Science undergrad from University of Guelph, applying for epi programs next year. I included the schools & statuses below. My stats are a 2 year GPA of about ~3.71, experience in academic epidemiology (undergraduate thesis in population medicine), work experience in public health epi (position was health data analyst), and good reference letters (coordinator of Guelph's MPH program and a medical officer of health). However, I haven't been published yet and haven't presented at any major conferences, which I'm worried about. Toronto's MPH (epi stream) is my top choice, but judging from last year's forums I'm not expecting to hear until late april or early may, which sucks :( Any other epi applicants in here?? I'm getting antsy waiting to hear back. Good luck everyone!

Toronto: Under Review

Western: had interview on Feb 29th, still waiting to hear back but I'm not optimistic (they wanted me to have OGS funding...)

Ottawa: Under Review

Guelph: my prof has agreed to work with me again

Hi! Did you line up a supervisor before applying to Western's Epi program? The supervisor is supposed to help you out with funding, right? Just curious. ?

19 hours ago, Riya11 said:

Hi! Did you line up a supervisor before applying to Western's Epi program? The supervisor is supposed to help you out with funding, right? Just curious. ?

No I didn't but one contacted me for a skype interview because our research interests were very compatible and I mentioned in my letter of intent that I liked her work. However she seemed pretty bummed that I didn't already have funding, even though I could still apply for an OGS during the first semester of my epi degree. I'm not super optimistic though, it seemed to be a pretty big deal for her. I'm still waiting to hear back, I don't know when that will be but I'll let you know!

4 hours ago, Epi16 said:

No I didn't but one contacted me for a skype interview because our research interests were very compatible and I mentioned in my letter of intent that I liked her work. However she seemed pretty bummed that I didn't already have funding, even though I could still apply for an OGS during the first semester of my epi degree. I'm not super optimistic though, it seemed to be a pretty big deal for her. I'm still waiting to hear back, I don't know when that will be but I'll let you know!

Actually I had some prior discussion for an ongoing project with a Prof. She asked me list her as my potential supervisor in SOP. Although the projects she discussed were funded, but we never really talked about the funding thing or stipend. 

And I didn't hear from the university yet. 

Edited by Riya11

9 hours ago, Riya11 said:

Actually I had some prior discussion for an ongoing project with a Prof. She asked me list her as my potential supervisor in SOP. Although the projects she discussed were funded, but we never really talked about the funding thing or stipend. 

And I didn't hear from the university yet. 

I just got an offer from western actually! No indication as to who my supervisor will be yet, maybe that will come with the formal offer, the email said that should come in ~24 hours. I'll let you know what happens!

Hi everyone! I got an offer from UBC's MPH program 2 weeks ago (I just discovered this chat).  I also applied to UofT's Health Promotion program but I'm highly considering UBC. Did anyone else hear back from UBC? Reply here if you did!

21 hours ago, toronto123 said:

Got an offer to the MPH program at Queens! I was wondering whether anyone received the "formal letter of admission" yet. Is it sent by mail?

Hey! I did too. :) Congrats!

If you got an email from Gerri, you'll get an email from Queen's School of Graduate Studies soon, where you respond to their offer online. I don't believe they're sending out mail. 

hey everybody, SFU has just given out admission decisions . Check your status now people!!.

Sadly for me, I cudnt make it through. But I guess most of you might.. SO congrats to all those

I too was rejected for SFU`s MPH population health concentration.

Good luck to everyone who applied to SFU!

BTW, How about Saskatchewan`s MPH program vs. McGill`s MSc PH?

Which one is good? Any advice

Edited by Achillies_MPH