WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

29 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

Ahh me and my friend decided to do a big blowout "Fat Friday" so we had nachos with homemade guac and salsa, with a quinoa & rice based fajita mix with refried beans and a tonne of cheese. Was SO good. I needed to be rolled home though! 

Ohhhh grad school related news! 2 POIs emailed me today!! One to finally schedule my skype interview (I've known about it since before Xmas but no date so far) and the other to feedback on my fellowship statement! YAY progress :) 

That sounds delicious! All I did today was make grilled cheese, tomato soup, and I just made a cheeseball which I am very excited about! My husband is bringing home dinner tonight, so I'm very excited about foooooooood!! 

YAY I'm so glad you got some emails! That's the dream! I can't wait to start getting PhD program-related emails! 

21 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

TODAY I GOT INTO MY TOP CHOICE SCHOOL. AYYYYYY BOULDER!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yay!!!! Congrats! Get off GradCafe and go celebrate!

P.S. 5/12 schools so far? It's been encouraging to watch your admissions cycle!

Edited by nevermind
typed so fast the c in cycle didn't register.

4 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

That sounds delicious! All I did today was make grilled cheese, tomato soup, and I just made a cheeseball which I am very excited about! My husband is bringing home dinner tonight, so I'm very excited about foooooooood!! 

YAY I'm so glad you got some emails! That's the dream! I can't wait to start getting PhD program-related emails! 

PLEASE EDUCATE ME WHAT IS A CHEESEBALL?!?!?! (Sorry excited about the name it sounds like heaven).

The best bit is, the mexican banquet fitted into my macros for today so I'm still on track! Sending positive-programme-related-vibes your way

5 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Yay!!!! Congrats! Get off GradCafe and go celebrate!

P.S. 5/12 schools so far? It's been encouraging to watch your admissions cyle!

I would but I have class in 8 minutes. Sitting still has never been so difficult :D

Yeah, I seriously can't believe it. I had a really shoddy subject GRE score and I come from a school that is not even ranked in the top 300 for physics. I have no idea how this is happening right now - I feel like I'll wake up from this dream soon!

8 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Today I was admitted to Boulder with a $10k signing bonus. My top choice! HALLELUJAH :D

Congrats! :) 

I'd have a difficult time not excusing myself from class.

11 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

PLEASE EDUCATE ME WHAT IS A CHEESEBALL?!?!?! (Sorry excited about the name it sounds like heaven).

The best bit is, the mexican banquet fitted into my macros for today so I'm still on track! Sending positive-programme-related-vibes your way

Hahaha it is a ball of soft cheese in which you dip pretzels, bread, crackers, or chips (crisps... Heck, I'd dip fries in it too though. I don't discriminate). It often has a crispy coating made of like thinly sliced almonds or something. 

The cheeseball I made was a blend of cream cheese, butter, and a spice mix packet. So it's more like cream cheese, but it tastes great, and I don't even like cream cheese! 

And thank you so much! Ah! I can't wait to hear some nugget of news. 

1 minute ago, gingin6789 said:

Hahaha it is a ball of soft cheese in which you dip pretzels, bread, crackers, or chips (crisps... Heck, I'd dip fries in it too though. I don't discriminate). It often has a crispy coating made of like thinly sliced almonds or something. 

The cheeseball I made was a blend of cream cheese, butter, and a spice mix packet. So it's more like cream cheese, but it tastes great, and I don't even like cream cheese! 

And thank you so much! Ah! I can't wait to hear some nugget of news. 

Ummmm...if you could send some of that my way that'd be great :P Holy hell that sounds like a heart attack on a plate and I would totally dip bacon in it just to make it worse!

12 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

Ummmm...if you could send some of that my way that'd be great :P Holy hell that sounds like a heart attack on a plate and I would totally dip bacon in it just to make it worse!

With that attitude, you're gonna do great here in the US :-P

Bacon does sound delicious with a cheeseball! 

17 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

Unfortunately, bacon is different in the US. So, you can still do that, but it might be a slightly different experience. :) 

39 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Today I was admitted to Boulder with a $10k signing bonus. My top choice! HALLELUJAH :D

Congratulations, Pink Fuzzy Bunny!!!!! Awesome job B) I went to CU Boulder for my undergrad, and they've got a positively kick-butt physics program, so my hat goes off to you and your admission!!!!! Boulder is a pretty cool place, if I do say so myself ^_^

8 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

I have no bacon prejudices....tea on the other hand, well if I get accepted that will be getting imported by the ship-load.

I'm a pretty big fan of tea myself, and I generally get mine from specialized online stores (most of whom import their tea in from somewhere or another). If you just want some earl grey or the like, you can find some okay packaged brands, but if you want more specialized oolongs, darjeelings, greens, and the like, you have to get them loose.

I'm not sure what type of tea you drink, but if you drink it unbranded and loose, by variety or type only, I can probably offer suggestions of some decent online stores. 

Ahh @Neist I may take you up on that! My main issue is my bog standard Yorkshire Breakfast Tea. It will be sent over as we can bulk buy it in Costco and shipping will still be cheaper than buying online (yep I've researched this). As for the earl greys, darjeelings etc., I'm sure it will depend exactly where I end up going but I will always remain open to good tea dealers :) 

On a note slightly more related, I made a hot toddy this evening and I forgot how amazing they are!

16 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

Ahh @Neist I may take you up on that! My main issue is my bog standard Yorkshire Breakfast Tea. It will be sent over as we can bulk buy it in Costco and shipping will still be cheaper than buying online (yep I've researched this). As for the earl greys, darjeelings etc., I'm sure it will depend exactly where I end up going but I will always remain open to good tea dealers :) 

On a note slightly more related, I made a hot toddy this evening and I forgot how amazing they are!

Now you get to inform me... What is a hot toddy? Is that like a hot pocket?? 

1 hour ago, Lexie16 said:

Congratulations, Pink Fuzzy Bunny!!!!! Awesome job B) I went to CU Boulder for my undergrad, and they've got a positively kick-butt physics program, so my hat goes off to you and your admission!!!!! Boulder is a pretty cool place, if I do say so myself ^_^

I concur! I spent the summer there for an REU program... I fell in love with it. Seriously I couldn't be happier right now... and my professor was even okay with me squealing and running out of the room as soon as I saw the subject line of the email :D

Any suggestions for finding housing? I'm not a roommate person so it seems I'll be living on some corner of Pearl St shaking cans for spare quarters...

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

12 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Now you get to inform me... What is a hot toddy? Is that like a hot pocket?? 

GinGin, it's whisky (no e), honey, lemon, fresh ginger and boiling water. It's amazing if you have a sore throat, or just want a comforting hot drink. Definitely recommend! 

4 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

GinGin, it's whisky (no e), honey, lemon, fresh ginger and boiling water. It's amazing if you have a sore throat, or just want a comforting hot drink. Definitely recommend! 

That sounds great! And I'm not just saying that because my name is Ginger either. Sounds good got a snowy night like tonight!