WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

50 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

@piglet33 When it comes to essays, scientific papers, and the like I am usually a very good writer. (Forum not so much lol) But I had one 30+ page paper due for a core class, and despite doing really well, in the middle of the paper I had literally left a "blah, blah, blah," Where I had meant to expand later and then completely forgot, and somehow managed to read over it like 5 times. 

The professor ended up putting "LOL" and didn't even take off points. It was a very stressful paper. 

As someone who comes from a writing heavy discipline, I can tell you that there really isn't enough time during a course to thoughtfully edit a long paper.

I think most faculty members realize this and give some leeway. :) To be completely confident in a thirty page paper, I'd have to edit it for.. dozens of hours? More than one typically is allotted at the end of a semester. Thankfully, many of my professors have afforded ample feedback and revisions, as long as they have a "final" paper by the due date listed on the syllabus.

The one thing that terrifies me about writing a history dissertation isn't writing it; it's editing it. Can you imagine editing 500 pages of text? Once a paper approaches a certain size it gets difficult to maintain perspective if a specific section goes through serious revision. You nearly have to let it sit for a week or two and come back to it, rereading all sections to make sure they still agree.

I shudder thinking about it.

7 minutes ago, Neist said:

As someone who comes from a writing heavy discipline, I can tell you that there really isn't enough time during a course to thoughtfully edit a long paper.

I think most faculty members realize this and give some leeway. :) To be completely confident in a thirty page paper, I'd have to edit it for.. dozens of hours? More than one typically is allotted at the end of a semester. Thankfully, many of my professors have afforded ample feedback and revisions, as long as they have a "final" paper by the due date listed on the syllabus.

The one thing that terrifies me about writing a history dissertation isn't writing it; it's editing it. Can you imagine editing 500 pages of text? Once a paper approaches a certain size it gets difficult to maintain perspective if a specific section goes through serious revision. You nearly have to let it sit for a week or two and come back to it, rereading all sections to make sure they still agree.

I shudder thinking about it.

I work as an editor's assistant/proofreader at an academic press, and, it's crazy how many editing errors there are in manuscripts that get accepted (and how many persist despite several stages of review), from the smallest typos down to major issues (such as entire repeated paragraphs, and the like). Which is to say, errors definitely happen, and profs are probably making a bunch too in their own writing, so they likely understand that, although overall good presentation is definitely definitely important, a certain percentage of errors in a "first" submitted draft (which of course is like a 4-13th draft for you) shouldn't overtake the overall idea, if it's a good one. Especially once you get to book-scale, with even an almost outrageous amount of self-editing, some of these things almost just can't be caught except by someone else (I think some people even hire proofreaders for their dissertation, for this exact reason). Obviously, there are a lot of things only you can do or catch, in terms of larger scale editing or extremely technical jargon, but for highlighting the egregious, a second set of eyes is always helpful. (My mom used to help read over my papers for this reason :) )

I was in a good deal of pain last night (chronic illness, for the lose) so I took some medicine for it, but still didn't sleep well. Despite it being non-narcotic, the med still makes me sleepy/out of it, even though I took it 12 hours ago, so I've been trying to have a little snooze throughout the day (always foiled by the sounds of children running around upstairs but I don't mind because they're children and it's daytime and I shouldn't be snoozing anyway). 

Anyway, recently groggily checked the Results page and saw another interview for one of the programs I applied to... The feeling of dizzy, numb anxiety is pretty indescribable. 

I can't wait to hear back either way, soon... From any program. Any word would be so nice! I know this is a lesson in patience though, and I've gotta try to learn the lesson while it's happening. 

I just made the mistake of looking at the current students at the program I'm interviewing this Friday and counting how many students enter each year. The numbers are small. The nerves are beyond me now. 

12 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

I just made the mistake of looking at the current students at the program I'm interviewing this Friday and counting how many students enter each year. The numbers are small. The nerves are beyond me now. 

Keep in mind the number of students ENROLLED does not necessarily equal the number of students ACCEPTED. :-) 

I know this is totally a "first world problem", but since a couple of students in my department haven't heard back from the schools they're applying to (except for rejections), I feel bad about broadcasting to the world my good news about having gotten accepted into some great schools. I posted about my first acceptance on Facebook but nothing since then, and it is driving me crazy! I want to run around high-fiving everybody!

Also, I neglected to tell my advisers that I got accepted to WashU for a whole day, and they said that as soon as I hear back from anywhere they want me to tell them ASAP so that they can celebrate/cry with me. I wish there were a way to communicate in words how much it means that I have such great advisers who care about my grad admissions almost as much as I do.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny I can definitely relate. Some of my friends already in school ended up at not their first choices and while they seem happy now, I feel bad that I'm having such good fortune in getting into schools/ interviews. I was also lucky enough to be able to visit all 3 of my top 3 schools (expenses paid) before applications were due.

But then I remind myself that I worked really hard for this! And have been talking to these POIs since April. 

On 1/20/2016 at 10:18 PM, rhombusbombus said:

But then I remind myself that I worked really hard for this! And have been talking to these POIs since April. 

April?! And I thought end of August was bad haha.

On 1/20/2016 at 8:22 PM, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I know this is totally a "first world problem", but since a couple of students in my department haven't heard back from the schools they're applying to (except for rejections), I feel bad about broadcasting to the world my good news about having gotten accepted into some great schools. I posted about my first acceptance on Facebook but nothing since then, and it is driving me crazy! I want to run around high-fiving everybody!

Also, I neglected to tell my advisers that I got accepted to WashU for a whole day, and they said that as soon as I hear back from anywhere they want me to tell them ASAP so that they can celebrate/cry with me. I wish there were a way to communicate in words how much it means that I have such great advisers who care about my grad admissions almost as much as I do.

Of course, "poor sportsmanship" isn't recommended but I don't see why you shouldn't celebrate! Plus, if your classmates are friends, you'll each be happy for the successes the others have regardless. But at the very least DEFINITELY share with your advisors! (A) sounds like they're really invested in you and (B) they did a ton of work of LoRs anyway so good news is a positive reflection on them too; let them enjoy their contribution to the success too! Congrats on your acceptances @Pink Fuzzy Bunny and @rhombusbombus!! :D 

20 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny I can definitely relate. Some of my friends already in school ended up at not their first choices and while they seem happy now, I feel bad that I'm having such good fortune in getting into schools/ interviews. I was also lucky enough to be able to visit all 3 of my top 3 schools (expenses paid) before applications were due.

The world of hard science graduate programs has always amazed me. I can't imagine any history program flying me out before I've even applied.

Then again, in my specific sub-discipline, interviews aren't very common, either, so I save some money.

I guess it has it's perks.

On 1/20/2016 at 8:22 PM, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Hey good for you. There are winners and losers, and the lucky and unlucky in every race that we run in life. Win some lose some.

Congratulations on your acceptance to WashU! Feel proud and be unapologetic!

@rhombusbombus that's impressive though! I visited 3/4 of my schools when I went to the US in September to see the boy. I took 2 weeks off between finishing work and starting my masters and flew from one school to the next (my friend is a pilot so I got an excellent deal!). It was an invaluable experience, but was kinda costly (accommodation wise, sheesh that can be expensive). 

I found a PDF document with information for prospective grad students in for my top choice school yesterday. It gave details about funding, and said that fellowship nominees usually have a 3.8 GPA+ and GRE scores around 160. My GREs aren't far off (159) and my GPA is from a UK school with exceptional circumstances (losing 8 people in 2 years and having a psycho housemate who tries to kill you will screw you up a bit). I'm now wondering whether I am competitive at this school after all. I thought it was a huge long shot but now..... 

I need to shut my brain up so I've started Lord of the Rings for the first time ever (books). So far I'm loving it!

Wow! Missed quite a few topics here. My parents aren't too keen on my MFA ambitions compared to my siblings' MD path. My dad is refusing to help me finance my tuition when I casually mentioned to him I'm thinking of applying for masters. He was saying things like 'what do I need it for?' but then he oh so willingly provided to pay the full ride of my siblings to medical school. My mom is somewhat supportive but doesn't want to provide tuition funds as well so right now I'm just focusing on the application and will worry about money if and when I get accepted.

and regarding the statements of intent and other things, I haven't re-read or looked at my application materials since I submitted them. I just know I'll find errors in it so I'd rather not melt my brain thinking of all my mistakes until the results come out. Sometimes I also like to imagine that my application is a magical unicorn where the admissions people won't even have to interview me cause my application is just too brilliant so they just automatically accept me. LOL! 

On another note, I am feeling so sluggish and too lazy to do my work while waiting for interview/results. Anybody feel like that these days?

On 1/19/2016 at 7:56 PM, Neist said:

Nothing wrong with not applying to safety net schools. I really didn't, either.

What's the point attending a program for years and years if you won't be happy with the result? I concluded that I'd rather reapply next cycle instead.

That's how I felt until I got an email from one of my recommenders saying something along the lines of "it's always a good idea to apply to some safety schools." That was after all my deadlines. *cue anxious laughter bordering on tears*

29 minutes ago, raaawr said:

On another note, I am feeling so sluggish and too lazy to do my work while waiting for interview/results. Anybody feel like that these days?

I'm kind of the opposite. I'm a bundle of nervous energy. Aside from the work I have to do for my job, I'm trying to read a book a week, study Catalan, work on translations, watch Bob's Burgers, go to bed early, ski, and I've cleaned the kitchen 4 times in the past 3 days, and made three complicated recipes.

In short, I'm going CRAZY.

(Hello! I've been lurking for a bit, but decided to blow off some steam with y'all... waiting is rather nerve wracking. I'm applying to MSc and PhD programs in computer science, by the way.)

1 hour ago, raaawr said:

and regarding the statements of intent and other things, I haven't re-read or looked at my application materials since I submitted them. I just know I'll find errors in it so I'd rather not melt my brain thinking of all my mistakes until the results come out. Sometimes I also like to imagine that my application is a magical unicorn where the admissions people won't even have to interview me cause my application is just too brilliant so they just automatically accept me. LOL! 

I try not to look too much at my application essay (colleges, cover letters for internships, and the like) after I submit it... it's the effect of being embarrassed about what you wrote a long time ago!

I've transitioned into couch potato mode ever since I submitted all my apps and finished finals in December. I busied myself so much last semester that I burned out pretty badly, so I figure that I should let myself relax a bit for now, before I turn it on for whatever I do in the fall :)

At this point, I've been invited to a couple of Skype interviews by individual professors (this seems to be the usual mode of interview for computer science programs), and I was really excited at first, since I was prepared (almost expecting) to get unceremoniously rejected by all my schools! But I'm really insecure (imposter syndrome is my life), so interviews make my anxiety skyrocket, inducing a terrible dread, and at the same time, I don't want to complain too much, out of respect for those who weren't selected... So I definitely have mixed feelings about interviewing -- I quickly go from "yay!" to "oh no!" to "it could have been worse" (after the interview). Does anyone else feel this way? The anxiety must be worse for those of you who are interviewing on-site!

On the bright side, it looks like my programs mostly don't interview after January, and send decisions throughout February, so at least the agony should be short-lived for the most part. (Some of them have historically sent a bunch of rejection notices in mid-late April -- even after the 15th -- which is kind of a jerk move... :( UC Irvine, I'm looking at you.)

I think visiting schools is soo important. I finally gave my talk that I'd been nervous about for weeks, and it was amazing and made me really want to be an academic. Even more than that though, I realized what it's like to have a really nice collaborative department. I felt super warm and welcomed which I absolutely cannot say for my current program (I go in my department's office scared out of my mind usually). But I only figured this out after I visited and met other students, and saw how the professors and students interacted!

Well today I feel successful because I successfully ran a simulation in Excel using first principles! It was a very basic simulation but I feel like I understand the concepts now, which is so reassuring as this is what I want to do my project and further research on.

Okay pre-warning, I'm going on an admissions/academia/anxiety rant. Everyone needs to realise that their self-worth isn't based on admissions, or publications or what so-and-so said. Find something that centres you daily, whether it's going for a walk, reading a book, playing music, knitting, vegging out in front of the TV and make sure you do it. Tune out the day, other people, emails etc and give yourself you time. Remember who YOU are, what your interests are, WHY you're doing this, and what your back up plans are. Realise that the world won't end if things don't go according to plan and that things do happen for a reason (sorry so cliche but it's true). Have faith in yourself because you are the only one with any control over how you feel. Don't give others that power. 

Good luck everyone and keep your heads screwed on! 

First reject (at 11:20pm--from a school that I know is the same time zone, so thanks for keeping me awake last night....). Not as bad as it could be since I already have 1 acceptance, but options would always be welcome. 

But, now all my early notifiers seem to be out of the way--back to the waiting for another 3-5 weeks.

Woke up to another interview invitation! My 5th one this cycle, likely my last as I only have 1 more school to hear from and people were contacted for interviews last week or about 2 weeks ago. But that's ok with me! With interviews at these schools, I'm finding it hard to care about the 1 rejection I definitely have from last week and the 1 I'll probably be getting ;) 

I'm really speechless. I was warned by almost everyone that it's really tough to get interviews for clinical/counseling psych, and that I may not get ANY interviews or acceptances the first round. Some people even discouraged me from applying at all until I graduated college. I'm only nervous about missing so much class, but I know it's easier for me to just get up and leave than it would be if I had a job and needed to request time off, find coverage, etc. And I'm missing class for a decision that will affect the next 5-6 years of my life, and arguably my life after that. 

I frame a rejection as, "my APPLICATION was rejected". Not, "*I* was rejected". Because it's true. But for an acceptance, I WILL jump up and down and say *I* :P 

Edited by artsy16

10 minutes ago, artsy16 said:

I frame a rejection as, "my APPLICATION" was rejected. Not, "*I* was rejected". Because it's true. But for an acceptance, I WILL jump up and down and say *I* :P 

I love this attitude!

6 hours ago, rosali said:

That's how I felt until I got an email from one of my recommenders saying something along the lines of "it's always a good idea to apply to some safety schools." That was after all my deadlines. *cue anxious laughter bordering on tears*

Well, the thing about advice is that you don't have to follow it, or that it's even good advice. :)

Of course everyone should at least consider advice.