WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

3 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

I didnt get my license until i was 22. So ive only been driving for 3 years!

Off topic, but I noticed you're an entomologist -- are you familiar with this instance of an Australian insect thought to be extinct for nearly a hundred years, only to be found on a tiny relic of a volcanic island, 13 miles isolated from its last known location? I read about it today and thought it was cool. 

Edited by 2016biostat

haha, thanks @gingin6789. That part is one of my favorites in the whole show, possibly only beaten by the entire flu season episode!

But, also to return to wine: all the time I'm going to/might have to take off work for interviews/campus visits this coming month is starting to stress me out, leading me back to the beer aisle! Although my boss knows I'm applying, and offered me the position knowing full well I'd be leaving for grad school come May/June, I really don't want to test their patience by repeatedly being out for 2-3 days at a time this early in the year; the last thing I need is for them to start deciding to look for my more permanent replacement sooner rather than later, leaving me with no income 'til I start my program.

Though to be honest I should stop worrying, at least until I actually hear back from Duke (and talk with my boss about it) (I mean, if I don't get an interview there [which, tbh, is a super long shot] then it's only a few days off at the beginning of the month, then a few days at the end, and probably a few again in March, which isn't as bad as a few every other week.) I just like being able to definitively plan ahead, which this process of vastly different schedules for each program's acceptances/rejections is not really conducive to.

Edited by haltheincandescent

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

A professor just called me from one of my top schools "just to chat" (he's not even on the committee, just someone who I would love to work with). I didn't remember who he was or what he did or what he talked about when he came to visit ~3 years ago, and it totally showed. I'm so mortified right now.

Fortunately, the conversation lasted for 30 minutes and I learned a lot (and I think, asked somewhat good questions). His work is super interesting to me so hopefully that showed. Hopefully he won't remember the embarrassing part :P

2 hours ago, 2016biostat said:

Off topic, but I noticed you're an entomologist -- are you familiar with this instance of an Australian insect thought to be extinct for nearly a hundred years, only to be found on a tiny relic of a volcanic island, 13 miles isolated from its last known location? I read about it today and thought it was cool. 

Hadnt heard of it!

Tbh, im more interested in bees so i kind of have tunnel vision. 

I'm trying to up my entomology cred. i got my bachelors in psychology and have decided to switch for my phd bc i love keeping bees and talking about pollinator conservation. 

@anthrostudentcyn That sounds terrifying. Is the lab a backup (in case grad school doesn't work out)? 

Regardless, good luck!!

@rhombusbombus I also am getting a passport! Of course, that's because my state government is full of idiots so soon our drivers' licenses won't be enough ID to fly with... but oh well :P Do you have a trip coming up or something?

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

1 minute ago, rhombusbombus said:

Off-topic: and spanish language learning tips, anyone?

I have a friend who is practicing her Portuguese by chatting over Skype with student in Rio. You might want to look at it's actually learn when you need to really communicate.

1 minute ago, rhombusbombus said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny nope! But my poi at one school wants to go to chile in 2017 and since she'll have such a small lab i should make it really easy for her to pick me to go! Im also trying to learn spanish via duolingo. 

Wow, not even attending yet and already learning Spanish B) Now that's what I call motivation!

A tip. I took Spanish for 6 years but it all went down the drain when I started actually conversing with Spanish-speakers. So in addition to "learning from the book", there are some excellent online resources where you can voice chat with a native speaker so that you won't sound like a complete fool :P

12 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

So to reward myself for etting an acceptance and 2 recruitment weekends I'm going to get a passport and maybe new glasses. 

Are you guys going to do anything similar?

I'm drinking the finest 6 dollar gin I have in my cabinet. That's about all my finances can afford me at the moment. :) 

18 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

ugh guys i have an interview at a lab tomorrow and a big talk wednesday. so nervewracking. i can't wait for thursday to get here!

Good luck! I wish you the best!

10 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

@rhombusbombus I also am getting a passport! Of course, that's because my state government is full of idiots so soon our drivers' licenses won't be enough ID to fly with... but oh well :P Do you have a trip coming up or something?

Don't happen to live in Oklahoma, do you? I do, and we're having that same problem. They pushed the mandatory deadline for it, so I can still fly, but I'm afraid I'm going to get a passport soon.

Ugh. I don't have the money for a passport.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny it is. plus, it's a plane ride away and I'm staying in a hotel all by myself! (for college I've always either lived with a boyfriend, or 4-6 roommates! ) but the lab guy seems interested in me, and could possibly get me the funding i need at the university i'm speaking at. everyone i've talked to sounds super nice, warm, and welcoming and seems to really want the funding situation to work out at the program I applied to, but its still nervewracking, especially since I'm considered an international student there, its tough.

@Neist thanks :)

Edited by anthrostudentcyn

14 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

I don't know where you're located, or where you will be for grad schools... but a lot of southern areas and larger cities have a decent hispanic and latino population, many of whom are trying to learn ESL. There are often meetups in these areas at like local libraries and things where you speak basic english with them, and they speak basic spanish with you so you both learn and its free. 

It's kind of like the skype thing, but sometimes physically being there makes a big difference for some people. 

18 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

So to reward myself for etting an acceptance and 2 recruitment weekends I'm going to get a passport and maybe new glasses. 

I went clothes shopping! (Oh wait, that was for interview clothes, never mind....though I did get some nice, otherwise wearable sweaters, for it, so I'm counting it as a reward nonetheless).

32 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

I really want to change my name, but I also need to save money so I can actually move out of state. I guess what I'd want to do is that and go to Disneyland for the last time in (what will feel like) forever.

28 minutes ago, Neist said:

I'm drinking the finest 6 dollar gin I have in my cabinet. That's about all my finances can afford me at the moment. :) 

Good luck! I wish you the best!

Don't happen to live in Oklahoma, do you? I do, and we're having that same problem. They pushed the mandatory deadline for it, so I can still fly, but I'm afraid I'm going to get a passport soon.

Ugh. I don't have the money for a passport.

Nah... Illinois. They also pushed back ours, but like you why push back the inevitable?

Although, maybe by the time that deadline rolls around, we won't be in the same states (= not same licenses?) :P

26 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny it is. plus, it's a plane ride away and I'm staying in a hotel all by myself! (for college I've always either lived with a boyfriend, or 4-6 roommates! ) but the lab guy seems interested in me, and could possibly get me the funding i need at the university i'm speaking at. everyone i've talked to sounds super nice, warm, and welcoming and seems to really want the funding situation to work out at the program I applied to, but its still nervewracking, especially since I'm considered an international student there, its tough.

@Neist thanks :)

Oh right! I remember you talking about that a dozen or so pages back... the talk is in a different department, right? You'll be great :D And I mean, if they're paying for you to go there, they clearly love you.

51 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

(I'm a girl) I think I'm going to get my hair dyed! I've never done it because I always grow it out and donate it to Locks of Love (I've done it 5 times now!) but this is something I've really wanted and I think I need to do it while I'm in my 20s or I won't be able to do it later. It's not going to be anything drastic though because I don't want it to look unprofessional. 

25 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

Good tips! Im so afraid of talking to people and messing up their language!

Why be afraid of that? If you saw a Mexican immigrant who was struggling to speak English, would you be somehow insulted, or would you help them? They will probably love that you are learning their language, and they'll help you. 

11 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Why be afraid of that? If you saw a Mexican immigrant who was struggling to speak English, would you be somehow insulted, or would you help them? They will probably love that you are learning their language, and they'll help you. 

truuuuueeeee

Edited by rhombusbombus

@rhombusbombus i also found that watching kids cartoons in spanish helped tremendously, especially the ones aimed at little kids just starting to learn the language. Combined with duolingo and actual conversations, you'll be laughing! Anyway, all you really need is "hola, dos cervezas por favor" and "quiero que todos los tacos"...

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny that gif is so accurate! I'm also in desperate need of laughing. I got a grade back on an assignment and it's my lowest one yet. I'm so confused because I worked really hard and thought I'd built on the feedback from the last one. A friend who wrote something similar got 11% more, and I'm struggling to understand why. Definitely a little down in the dumps this morning from it. All I need now is a nice little acceptance....

Congratulations to those of you with acceptances/interviews that came in yesterday. 

I went the entire weekend without checking my email or this forum. I needed that mental break. 

Only six weeks until I expect to hear back from the majority of the schools I applied to! Time should fly by with all the stuff I have to do at work.