WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

31 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

@Neist It sounds to me like what you and your adviser did was perfectly justified! But yes, the irrational fears...

In October I was applying for the NSF GRFP fellowship and my letters were due the next day, and I hadn't heard from one of my LoR writers (at a uni 1200 miles away). They wouldn't respond to phone calls/emails/anything, so I did the only logical thing.

That's right. I left at 6PM that night, and arrived there at 11am the following morning at their office door. All in all, I drove about 2500 miles in 2.5 days, BUT I GOT THE DAMN LETTER.

Although, they had also neglected to pay me several thousand dollars that they owed me for working there over the summer, so I went to go get my paycheck as well... which, of course, was mailed to my home address the day I left :P

At least you'll have a story to tell people later on. :D Driving that much in that period time sounds like a personal version of hell.

The letter I needed was for my NSFGRFP, too! We history of science folk get spoiled. We can apply for it as well.

2 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

One of my recommenders went MIA for my last app. Luckily i had someone who could cover for her at the last minute. But i was freaking out and sending some frantic emails.

I even stooped to Facebook reminders. I'm not ashamed.

I had a backup, too, if I needed to resort to it. I actually didn't get my letter from my capstone prof. I had asked for letters way back in August, and I began my capstone in August with a professor I had never taken before.

Of course, but the time letters were due, he knew me pretty well.

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Hell it was indeed... I've always loved driving long distances by myself, but that was my limit. For. Sure.

I never knew HoS folk could apply for the GRFP. Best of luck! Only 2.5 more months :P

Yup! Certainly takes ages for them to get back to us. I'll know all the details of my acceptances by that point.

I'm not sure what the awardee rate of HoS people are for the NSFGRFP, but we can get them. I think there was only around 3-4 awardees year before last. Not a large number, certainly, but I'm not sure how many apply, either.

I had a dream I got accepted to UC Davis... Ahhh it was just a dream :'(

But it's all good, cause I'm getting married today. On the topic of thread, there will be pink Moscato, champagne, and beer. 

It'll be the happiest day of my life, so screw dreams and anxiety, especially ones about my dress falling apart! 

Just now, gingin6789 said:

But it's all good, cause I'm getting married today. On the topic of thread, there will be pink Moscato, champagne, and beer. 

It'll be the happiest day of my life, so screw dreams and anxiety, especially ones about my dress falling apart! 

Congratulations! Now get off this forum and enjoy your big day!! I toast my morning coffee to you!

19 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Have an exciting day!

The decision letters will start exponentially increasing starting this week (not necessarily for every individual, but for people in general). It's times like this to remember the words of a great academic adviser, the great Dave D. Eisenhower:

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of this internet forum are upon you. The hopes and prayers of applicants everywhere march with you. In company with our brave allies in other fields you will bring about the destruction anxiety, the elimination of sleepless nights, and peace of mind for ourselves in a graduate program.

Good luck!

7 hours ago, raaawr said:

just out of curiosity, what courses are you guys applying for and what are you planning to do with your degrees after?

I applied to an odd assortment of history of science, STS, and cultural studies programs.

My interests are fairly interdisciplinary, so I'm just applying to places that feel right, regardless of the degree type.

7 hours ago, raaawr said:

just out of curiosity, what courses are you guys applying for and what are you planning to do with your degrees after?

I'm applying to a geology program in Houston. I am lucky in that even though I can't move right now, there is a professor whose research interests very much line up with mine.

5 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

@nightfarmer I appreciate your convenient adaptation of Eisenhower's words.

Good luck to everyone. I doubt we'll see much action tomorrow because of MLK, but the rest of the week we march onwards! 

I got two notices on president's day two years ago... One recruitment weekend invite and one funded acceptance. Maybe MLK day will be similar this year to the president's day of 2014 ;-)

Also, on another note, the wedding was wonderful! So happy to be married to my husband!! It was a super laid-back ceremony, and it was all so perfect for us ... He goes back to work and I go back to working on building data sets tomorrow... Anyway, I wanted to thank you all for the warm wishes! I love my Internet friends! :-)

Edited by gingin6789

10 hours ago, raaawr said:

I'm applying to History of Science / Geography (Human Geography) Ph.D. programs. My research interests are quite interdisciplinary, focusing on the intersections of science, religion, and the environment. Like most people here (I imagine), I'm hoping to research / teach... :)

Edited by nevermind

Physics (specifically, atomic/molecular/optical). I think it'd be pretty ballin' to get a professorship somewhere... haha... haha... I wish.

Entomology over here!
I want to work on native and non-native bee ecology and conservation (mostly bumblebees and honey bees).

wow! we really all have different fields :) I'm in design and the reason I want an MFA is so I can further my skills and knowledge and push myself to think more outside the box. and maybe, hopefully give myself an edge amongst the sea of designers. lol.

I only applied to 1 school (*GASP!*) cause that's the only school that has a program that really fits into what I'm looking for so it's still awhile before I hear anything from them. Based on the results search page they start sending out interview requests around February so I still have awhile to wait. I'm kind of hoping though that I wouldn't need an interview and just go directly to "congratulations! you've been accepted" lol!!! I get nervous a lot when it comes to interviews. I will probably mess up a lot and probably won't get in cause of that. lol!