WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

It seems that nobody is hearing much from Electrical Engineering programs. I got an informal acceptance via email from Michigan, but I applied to twelve programs. I'm curious what other EE's are hearing.

11 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

You guys keep depressing me about Cornell - it's my top choice (but I don't fit in there, so I'm expecting a rejection).

Also... just got an offer from Seattle. Never even been in the area. I wonder if they fly prospective students out for a visit? 

You (likely) applied to a different department! You'll be fine - you're already kiillin' it with admissions offers!  Congrats!

I know I have low self-confidence because I got an interview email and I'm like "ok but was this sent on accident??"

If/when I get an acceptance, I'm going to call the institution like "are you sure this was for me"

Someone who applied to the University of Georgia (third one down) got an email from a grad student like "CONGRATS YOU GET TO INTERVIEW!!!" and then the department sent an email like "jk bro sorry about that) and I'm afraid that'll happen to me.

22 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

You guys keep depressing me about Cornell - it's my top choice (but I don't fit in there, so I'm expecting a rejection).

Also... just got an offer from Seattle. Never even been in the area. I wonder if they fly prospective students out for a visit? 

Cornell STS is a top choice for me, but it's definitely not the most competitive program I looked into. I could study at U. Michigan in the English department and get their STS certificate, but its rough getting into that program. Their websites states that in Fall 2015 they accepted 12 out of 305. Ack.

11 minutes ago, highborn said:

I know I have low self-confidence because I got an interview email and I'm like "ok but was this sent on accident??"

If/when I get an acceptance, I'm going to call the institution like "are you sure this was for me"

Someone who applied to the University of Georgia (third one down) got an email from a grad student like "CONGRATS YOU GET TO INTERVIEW!!!" and then the department sent an email like "jk bro sorry about that) and I'm afraid that'll happen to me.

Sounds like a classic case of "impostor syndrome". Though wouldn't you hate to be the guy that got the wrong interview invite? 

3 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Sounds like a classic case of "impostor syndrome". Though wouldn't you hate to be the guy that got the wrong interview invite? 

I'm still wondering if my invite is fake. I was expecting a rejection because on their website it said that everything was due by Dec 1. I had everything except LORs and GRE scores in. The GRE scores finally popped up on Dec 30. On Jan 12, I got a "The department received your application!" email and now three days later I'm getting an acceptance? I don't know. =[

Congrats on UDubs!

24 minutes ago, highborn said:

Oh my, that's horrible. :wacko:

I better catalog that back into my memories and approach any email with a little bit of apprehension. 

Hope that's not the case with you! But I'm sure it's fine. Best to be positive, I find.

Edited by Neist

Congrats to everyone who has received an interview at this stage - that's awesome, and you should feel deservedly proud! You earnt this. That school is lucky to have you.

@DrZoidberg thanks! I'm not too worried about it, it just frustrates me as I know my transcript isn't representative of my abilities. I'm hoping my solid masters will help (albeit still in progress).

On the topic of wine-ing, I've enjoyed an epic shiraz this evening, while not looking at any sorts of admissions pages/application statuses/gradcafe! It felt so good not to be glued to my phone. Alas, I couldn't go to bed without a quick visit! I'm now not expecting to hear from any of my programs until mid-Feb/March time. Time to settle in for the longhaul!

5 minutes ago, Neist said:

Oh my, that's horrible. :wacko:

I better catalog that back into my memories and approach any email with a little bit of apprehension. 

it happens a lot, actually. and not just at the interview stage. people have been told they are accepted but it was accidental. Like they actually have turned down other colleges to go to the college that accidentally accepted them, and then was screwed when they found out it was a mistake.

Happens at jobs as well. This one person with a generic name (think Bob) accepted a job offer, moved out of state for the job, and then showed up on the first day. Everyone was looking at him like "...why are you here" Turns out there was a second Bob and HR called the wrong Bob.

5 minutes ago, highborn said:

it happens a lot, actually. and not just at the interview stage. people have been told they are accepted but it was accidental. Like they actually have turned down other colleges to go to the college that accidentally accepted them, and then was screwed when they found out it was a mistake.

Happens at jobs as well. This one person with a generic name (think Bob) accepted a job offer, moved out of state for the job, and then showed up on the first day. Everyone was looking at him like "...why are you here" Turns out there was a second Bob and HR called the wrong Bob.

As someone with a very generic name, thank you for giving me a whole new level of fear and anxiety.

10 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

As someone with a very generic name, thank you for giving me a whole new level of fear and anxiety.

I'm sorry! People are like "oh calm down, relax, ect" and I can't! This is why I have trust issues =[

Update to my previous post: 2/3 LOR issues have been resolved!

I'm not sure if my last recommender is trolling me or what, because he replied to my email saying he'd submit the letter but has yet to do so. I sent a reminder request through the application itself before he replied to me  so he must have seen that in his inbox, right? It shouldn't be in his spam folder because another professor at the same university got the email immediately. So what are you doing, man?

Better question is: what am I doing? I have a perfectly good bottle of syrah malbec I have yet to open and refreshing the application page every 10 minutes won't change anything. I hope you all have a great weekend waiting it out, but it's time to sign off here for now and relaaaax.

1 hour ago, RCtheSS said:

Update to my previous post: 2/3 LOR issues have been resolved!

I'm not sure if my last recommender is trolling me or what, because he replied to my email saying he'd submit the letter but has yet to do so. I sent a reminder request through the application itself before he replied to me  so he must have seen that in his inbox, right? It shouldn't be in his spam folder because another professor at the same university got the email immediately. So what are you doing, man?

Better question is: what am I doing? I have a perfectly good bottle of syrah malbec I have yet to open and refreshing the application page every 10 minutes won't change anything. I hope you all have a great weekend waiting it out, but it's time to sign off here for now and relaaaax.

One of my letter writers was on sabbatical so I was sending reminders every week or two. This letter writer didn't appreciate that very much, so I backed off. 

I admit, a secret fear of mine is that she changed her LoR because of my reminders, but I don't think she's the type of person who would do that. At least I hope.

I ate happy hour tacos and beer myself. It was pretty satisfying.

Just now, Neist said:

One of my letter writers was on sabbatical so I was sending reminders every week or two. This letter writer didn't appreciate that very much, so I backed off. 

I admit, a secret fear of mine is that she changed her LoR because of my reminders, but I don't think she's the type of person who would do that. At least I hope.

I ate happy hour tacos and beer myself. It was pretty satisfying.

Every week or two does not seem unreasonable at all when her not sending it means that you would very likely be rejected everywhere. 

The exception to that would be if she emailed you back after every reminder to say she would do it within the next week, and then didn't. 

10 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Every week or two does not seem unreasonable at all when her not sending it means that you would very likely be rejected everywhere. 

The exception to that would be if she emailed you back after every reminder to say she would do it within the next week, and then didn't. 

The circumstance that lit the pyre was an email I eventually sent to my adviser. I had not heard from my letter writer in over two weeks, and my letter was due the next day, I believe.

I asked my adviser if she knew if they were okay. This person had some medical issues the previous semester, so as I hadn't heard from them in a while, I didn't know if something had happened. Apparently my adviser made some inquiries which my letter writer didn't appreciate. It was a messy, anxiety-filled week or so after.

This letter writer is quite a delightful person, though. I don't think they'd resort to bad letters, but you know, irrational fears, and all that. 

Edited by Neist

@Neist It sounds to me like what you and your adviser did was perfectly justified! But yes, the irrational fears...

In October I was applying for the NSF GRFP fellowship and my letters were due the next day, and I hadn't heard from one of my LoR writers (at a uni 1200 miles away). They wouldn't respond to phone calls/emails/anything, so I did the only logical thing.

That's right. I left at 6PM that night, and arrived there at 11am the following morning at their office door. All in all, I drove about 2500 miles in 2.5 days, BUT I GOT THE DAMN LETTER.

Although, they had also neglected to pay me several thousand dollars that they owed me for working there over the summer, so I went to go get my paycheck as well... which, of course, was mailed to my home address the day I left :P

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny